Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 21:12   #931
Senior - BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Have been using Sony NEX-5R for last two days. Impressive mirror-less camera!

This is a sample movie I made with it.

Last edited by Samurai : 15th April 2013 at 07:15. Reason: Don't use https with youtube links
Old 18th April 2013, 08:53   #932
Team-BHP Support

The 45mm 1.8 is a superb portrait lens, but simply no good for anything else. I am looking for another fast prime lens that is more versatile, so that I can leave it the OM-D most of the time. The 12-50mm is very versatile, but too slow in most low light situation.

Is Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 good for anything other than portrait? I don't want two portrait lenses that suck at everything else.
Old 18th April 2013, 09:20   #933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It IS amazing. Personally I would have used manual focus in this case when you were hunting ants. only thing that bugs me is I keep my flash mounted all the time and that prevents 180 LCD flip for self portraits.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:01   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 good for anything other than portrait? I don't want two portrait lenses that suck at everything else.
Well 25mm on micro 4/3 is 50mm but still my personal thinking is something wider is required for normal usage ( 24 - 35 mm Full frame equivalent)
so I think Panasonic 14 F2.4 ( small and economical ) or Olympus 12 F2 ( wider and bigger) will be better.

But seeing the aperture I guess 17 F1.8 is best bet.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:27   #935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well 25mm on micro 4/3 is 50mm
Don't need to remind a guy who is in 4/3 camp since 2006. I was wondering whether I can live with a normal lens as primary lens.

Quote:
so I think Panasonic 14 F2.4 ( small and economical ) or Olympus 12 F2 ( wider and bigger) will be better.

But seeing the aperture I guess 17 F1.8 is best bet.
Hmm, you are probably right. I just want the primary lens to be excellent & versatile, like my former 12-60mm F/2.8-4. The Pany 12-35mm F/2.8 is not in the same league I hear.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:36   #936
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:

This is a sample movie I made with it.
Great music on the video. What track is it? That pops a question to my mind - is it legal to add your favorite track to your personal videos and upload on youtube? Copyright issues?

Quote:
The 45mm 1.8 is a superb portrait lens, but simply no good for anything else. I am looking for another fast prime lens that is more versatile, so that I can leave it the OM-D most of the time. The 12-50mm is very versatile, but too slow in most low light situation.

I agree. The f/1.8 makes it pretty useless for anything else. I use a 9-18mm as the stock lens.

-R
Old 18th April 2013, 10:39   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't need to remind a guy who is in 4/3 camp since 2006. I was wondering whether I can live with a normal lens as primary lens.

Oops that was not a reminder to you but more of reiteration to myself as I need to think in terms of equivelence.

On second thoughts if you are willing to spend approx 1000$ on Panasonic 45 F1.4 ( psudo Lecia) and in case AF is not strictly required then probably you may consider Voigatlander Nocton lens as well.
Actually speaking in terms of equivelnece this is the only lens that can give you what a 35mm F1.8 gives on a Full frame.

http://www.amazon.com/Voigtlander-No...der+25mm+f0.95

Last edited by amitk26 : 18th April 2013 at 10:56.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:52   #938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
It IS amazing. Personally I would have used manual focus in this case when you were hunting ants. only thing that bugs me is I keep my flash mounted all the time and that prevents 180 LCD flip for self portraits.
Thanks, agree on the manual focus thing, my brother shot that clip... he used AF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Great music on the video. What track is it? That pops a question to my mind - is it legal to add your favorite track to your personal videos and upload on Youtube? Copyright issues?
It is a track selected from YouTube itself, after uploading the video. There's no copyright issues on using such a track since they are all free.

I also liked the music in that track, don't know what it is. Let me shazam it.
Old 18th April 2013, 11:16   #939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I use a 9-18mm as the stock lens.
Bit too wide for me now that I have 12-50mm. I would keep my 9-18mm if it was faster. Right now I am planning to sell it.

Quote:
in case AF is not strictly required then probably you may consider Voigatlander Nocton lens as well.
Actually speaking in terms of equivelnece this is the only lens that can give you what a 35mm F1.8 gives on a Full frame.
Ooh boy, I don't think I am ready for a manual focus lens as my primary lens. Fast AF is a must. But I'll explore similar FL.
Old 20th April 2013, 00:00   #940
Team-BHP Support

Ok, after long research, I have decided on Olympus 17mm F/1.8 lens.

This 2-part review did the trick:

http://robinwong.blogspot.in/2012/11...ew-street.html
http://robinwong.blogspot.in/2012/11...18-review.html
Old 21st April 2013, 11:07   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great music on the video. What track is it?
Quote:
I also liked the music in that track, don't know what it is. Let me shazam it.
The track is Poundin' The Pavement by DJ Morphiziz. Here's the Grooveshark link

http://grooveshark.com/s/Poundin+The...l/3Te41H?src=5

Enjoy!
Old 30th April 2013, 21:45   #942
Team-BHP Support

The Olympus 17mm F/1.8 lens is a fantastic lens. I finally got it in my hand on 26th April.

The lens is very sharp in the center, but softer in the corners. That is something to remember while shooting.

The lens box has a smaller footprint than a CD.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-p4260006.jpg

Here is a typical shot taken at ISO 1600. Go ahead, check it out at full size. I had to dilute the image quality a lot to fit into 1MB, still...

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-p4260010.jpg

I have taken many fantastic low light shots in near complete darkness at our office party. But they are all shots of personal nature, so I can't share.
Old 30th April 2013, 22:24   #943
Senior - BHPian

My Nikon F4. Bought used some 6 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-nikon_f4.jpg  

Old 30th April 2013, 22:40   #944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What a beauty. I envy you. I have a F100 & F601 having sold off my other film bodies including the F5 (regret doing that) and F80.

I love the old Nikon F series starting from F right thru the F6.

Quote:
The Olympus 17mm F/1.8 lens is a fantastic lens. I finally got it in my hand on 26th April.
Congrats. Hope you don't mind me asking - what did this lens cost you and where did you buy it from? I was very interested in this lens nearly 3 months back in early Feb when I got my Oly OM-D. It was not in stock so you may recall I went in for the 45/1.8 and the 75/1.8. Have held back from further EVIL camera lens purchases (Oly & Fuji) as of now.
Old 30th April 2013, 23:16   #945
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Isn't the dSLR thread a better candidate for this post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats. Hope you don't mind me asking - what did this lens cost you and where did you buy it from? I was very interested in this lens nearly 3 months back in early Feb when I got my Oly OM-D. It was not in stock so you may recall I went in for the 45/1.8 and the 75/1.8. Have held back from further EVIL camera lens purchases (Oly & Fuji) as of now.
I first ordered it on Amazon.com for $499, and then cancelled it thinking I can get it in India. I shot off queries to couple vendors. One of them confirmed that it is not available in India, the other didn't reply my mail. So I ordered it again on Amazon so that my friend from US can carry it after couple days. A day after I ordered, the vendor replied saying it is available for Rs.25,600/-, cheaper than the Amazon price. It was too late to cancel the order then. This vendor was Camshot.in, your local guy.

Most Viewed