Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 17:45   #976
BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My Nikon F4. Bought used some 6 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Not sure if I followed you. With a title called "Evil Camera's"; this to me sounds like any camera that has made a mark in the photography world.

Its only after I flipped to Page 1 did I notice that this is a digital forum.

My post can be deleted if unsuitable.
I too mistook EVIL the same way, when I posted this here. It was time to feel sheepish! There is just no end to learning I guess. Mods did shift my post to the DSLR thread, where again it does not really fit in!
Old 7th May 2013, 19:14   #977
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
I too mistook EVIL the same way, when I posted this here. It was time to feel sheepish! There is just no end to learning I guess. Mods did shift my post to the DSLR thread, where again it does not really fit in!
Well, one of you could start a film camera thread I suppose.

Anyway, since the term mirrorless is becoming more common than EVIL, I guess it is time for a thread rename. Somehow I can't stomach that 'sans mirror' moniker.
Old 7th May 2013, 20:56   #978
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

No one says EVIL cameras anymore and not all the cameras out there have a electronic viewfinder.
People now days use mirrorless and its short form(MILC) or CSC compact system cameras.
Old 7th May 2013, 22:27   #979
BHPian

I'm looking for a good macro lens for my NEX in the 85 to 105mm range, but unfortunately there seems to be none available so far yet. The only one that might be announced very soon is the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 macro, but that is very expensive and I do not like the 50mm focal range for macro work.

Considering to get the Canon 100mm EF-S and pair it with a Novoflex EF to NEX adapter. The size of the lens with the adapter is kind of making me to think twice. I've been seriously thinking of getting into Macro photography for quite some time now, but with the poor lens lineup for the NEX, I'm left with no choice other than to save the hard earned money.
Old 7th May 2013, 22:36   #980
Team-BHP Support

Seriously, NEX is not for people who want to indulge in serious amateur photography. As of now only m4/3 has ample choice of lenses.

I recommend NEX only if the user will be content with kit lens. For example, recently the official TBHP review camera was upgraded from Panasonic LX3 to NEX-5R + 16-50mm. I fully supported the choice.
Old 7th May 2013, 22:49   #981
BHPian

You are absolutely right. I was just blown away by the size and the design of the NEX-6 camera. That was actually my first preference when I decided to get into serious photography. The camera that I would buy should be small and compact. But after doing some sensible shots with the camera and understanding photography to some extent, I feel that NEX system at present has its limitations. The main reason for this is as you pointed out, the lack of lens options. I would have also bought the OM-D had it not had the EVF in the center of the console.
Old 7th May 2013, 22:56   #982
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I'm looking for a good macro lens for my NEX in the 85 to 105mm range, but unfortunately there seems to be none available so far yet. The only one that might be announced very soon is the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 macro, but that is very expensive and I do not like the 50mm focal range for macro work.

Considering to get the Canon 100mm EF-S and pair it with a Novoflex EF to NEX adapter. The size of the lens with the adapter is kind of making me to think twice. I've been seriously thinking of getting into Macro photography for quite some time now, but with the poor lens lineup for the NEX, I'm left with no choice other than to save the hard earned money.
Rather then using a canon lens ,why not use the A-mount lenses with a Sony adapter you get to set aperture and if you happen to have the LA-E2 you get blazing fast AF .There is the 100mm and 50mm A-mount macro lens or use the A-mount Tamron 90mm macro lens.
Old 7th May 2013, 23:55   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Rather then using a canon lens ,why not use the A-mount lenses with a Sony adapter you get to set aperture and if you happen to have the LA-E2 you get blazing fast AF .There is the 100mm and 50mm A-mount macro lens or use the A-mount Tamron 90mm macro lens.
That could be a possibility but I do not want to invest anymore in Sony based lenses or camera systems. In fact I had this as an option when I started my hunt for a Macro set up on my NEX. I might use my NEX for another two years and eventually move to either Canon or a Leica. With this in mind, I have decided only to buy an EF or an M lens so that I can use them even after I dump my NEX after 2 years from now.
Old 8th May 2013, 00:18   #984
Senior - BHPian

So if you are interested in Canon 100 F2.8 why not a second Canon body to mount it as well ?
NEX for street photography and travel and Canon for telephoto, macro and UWA.

A used 450D or 500D can be obtained cheaper then Novoflex adapter

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th May 2013 at 00:20.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:43   #985
Senior - BHPian

I don't see people discussing much about Samsung MILC here, lenses are not available in India?
Old 10th May 2013, 15:03   #986
Team-BHP Support

Olympus just released the black version of 17mm, 45mm and 75mm. I already have the first two in silver to go with my black OM-D.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-190484_510931835640221_2017221596_n.jpg
Old 10th May 2013, 15:42   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Olympus just released the black version of 17mm, 45mm and 75mm. I already have the first two in silver to go with my black OM-D.
Do you know the prices also? They had released black version of 12mm for 1099 USD while the normal silver one costs 699 USD!!
Old 10th May 2013, 16:17   #988
Team-BHP Support

I heard the price is same for black, unlike the silly 12mm.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:06   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

Why do you want to spend so much on Novoflex and still get only MF? Just buy any Nikon/Minolta/Lester Dine/Pentax/Canon FD etc macro lens and an appropriate adapter and you should be set. In fact, you'll probably get it for lesser than paying for Novoflex adapter. Also, Nex is good for manual focusing as it offers Peaking. However, there's some good news for micro four thirds photographers, more below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I heard the price is same for black, unlike the silly 12mm.
Yep, the price will remain the same.

And the big announcement was the release of E-P5. The same 5-axis IS as OM-D, but what's better is the max shutter speed of 1/8000 and focus peaking. Now, I am just praying that they bring focus peaking (via firmware update) to the OM-D as well. If they do, I am set for a long time to come.

EDIT: Ming Thein's preview: http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/05/10/oiympus-pen-e-p5/

Last edited by HellwratH : 10th May 2013 at 20:12.
Old 11th May 2013, 11:21   #990
BHPian

I had a chance to play with a Canon 40D and a Sigma 105mm Macro lens. It was pretty heavy and big as I was used to my NEX for the past 7 months. I did take some shots with it and have the feeling that such lenses in that mm range would definitely look odd on my NEX. Added with the adapter, they might look even bigger when mounted on my NEX and thereby making it uncomfortable while shooting macro images. I will wait for Sony to come up with a Macro prime.

There will be an 85mm tele prime released soon from Sony. I'm eagar to know the dimensions of it. A macro in that range designed for the NEX is what I would go in for.

I bought the Sony 50mm f1.8 for Portrait work as I needed one. I'm finding this lens deliver sharp images. Though a bit bigger than the 55-210mm tele zoom, I love to have it mounted on my NEX all the time. So far I've been using just the Sigma 30mm, but I'm finding this 50mm from Sony render better IQ than the Sigma. The only downside is that this lens from Sony comes only in Silver. Silver color lens on a black body is no match at all, at least not to my taste.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks