Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2013, 20:44   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post

Can't speak for Samurai, but IMO, with what Canon did with EOS-M, I do not expect much from this lens. Lol, even with that 2.3x AF improvement it'll be slower than Fuji cameras. It was the last company to come out with a mirrorless camera and still managed to not get so many things right. Anyway, let's see what this lens does.
It's only the first iteration of the Canon M that we have seen so far. I believe they will only get better. Wasn't fuji pretty bad at focusing earlier till the firmware made it better.
Old 6th June 2013, 20:53   #1052
BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
It's only the first iteration of the Canon M that we have seen so far. I believe they will only get better. Wasn't fuji pretty bad at focusing earlier till the firmware made it better.
True, can't judge a system by their first iteration. However, with Fuji many other things made it stand out (X-Trans, lenses, build, ergo etc). If I were to build a new mirrorless system today, I wouldn't even take a second look at EOS-M. It doesn't give me anything more than what others have to offer and has a very limited lens selection. Even with the announcement of this UWA, it doesn't excite me. Every other system has or is going to have a UWA soon. So, why would I bother with EOS-M unless I have a big selection of EF/EF-S lenses.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:08   #1053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are the specs out yet? I couldn't find them.
The preview is already out, along with specs. How else could I know the size?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/can...2-4-5p6-is-stm
Old 6th June 2013, 21:21   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The preview is already out, along with specs. How else could I know the size?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/can...2-4-5p6-is-stm
Thanks! I was just reading the specs on the phobolographer:

Size and weight D / L: 61mm (2.4″) / 58mm (2.3″); W: 220g (7.8 oz)
Price: EUR 450

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013...2-0-for-eos-m/

As expected, they can't make it any smaller than that for an APS-C sensor I guess. The smallest option would be a Cosina Voigtlander 12mm, but I think that lens (RF) is not handled that well by Nex in the corners.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:24   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, why would I bother with EOS-M unless I have a big selection of EF/EF-S lenses.
As Samurai says, this duopoly isn't serious about the MLC market...yet. I I quickly struck off Nikon's MLC cameras from my wish list..

Going in for the Nikon 1 system would have been a 'no brainer' for me. But I still went in for 2 disparate formats - the Oly and Fuji X mount. In the world of MLCs these 2 are undoubtedly the tops.

Nikon and Canon's MLC offerings are half hearted attempts at best. What I am trying to say is that as a customer I will choose the camera that offers the most for my buck. I probably made a mistake with 3 systems with ZERO inter system compatibility but I have limited my 'exposure' to the X mount and Oly m/43 system till I am reasonably certain that investing in more glass is not akin to shooting oneself in the foot, primarily because I hope that Oly & Panasonic as the flag bearers of the m43rds system, survive in the long term.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:32   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As Samurai says, this duopoly isn't serious about the MLC market...yet. I I quickly struck off Nikon's MLC cameras from my wish list..

Going in for the Nikon 1 system would have been a 'no brainer' for me. But I still went in for 2 disparate formats - the Oly and Fuji X mount. In the world of MLCs these 2 are undoubtedly the tops.

Nikon and Canon's MLC offerings are half hearted attempts at best. What I am trying to say is that as a customer I will choose the camera that offers the most for my buck. I probably made a mistake with 3 systems with ZERO inter system compatibility but I have limited my 'exposure' to the X mount and Oly m/43 system till I am reasonably certain that investing in more glass is not akin to shooting oneself in the foot, primarily because I hope that Oly & Panasonic as the flag bearers of the m43rds system, survive in the long term.
I am sure Pana/Oly will survive in the long term. With the number of native lenses they have, others will take a while to get there. Panasonic did a smart thing by getting the 12-35 f2.8 and 35-100 f2.8 out this year. Others are waiting for 43mm f1.2 by them, which will be released next year. On the other hand, Fuji has been quietly releasing good lenses (14mm, 55-200mm) for their system. Zeiss released two Touit lenses but from reviews so far, the Fuji 35mm and 14mm seem to be much better than those two. Someone rightly said, Fuji makes bodies for their lenses and not the other way around.
Old 6th June 2013, 22:05   #1057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure Pana/Oly will survive in the long term.
I hope so too mate, with the Sony & Oly tie up. Though sometimes I feel that it's like two blind men running a race. Jokes aside, I love these MLCs as much as I do my Nikon FX kit.

Quote:
Someone rightly said, Fuji makes bodies for their lenses and not the other way around.
And it shows.

The lenses are beautiful. Though I must add that Oly's lenses are good too but most have a cheapskate (mainly plastic) exterior but good/great optics. While Fuji's lenses are, well, like the old metal Nikon lenses of yore OR Leica lenses - beautifully made, inside and out.
Old 6th June 2013, 22:48   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Hellwrath the lens has retractable design and is almost same size as kit lens.
If they can just make a uwa with 55mm filter for dslr as well it will be huge step ahead.

For a change this lens is metal barrel and metal mount but I am sure mk2 will be fully polycarbonate as per Canon tradition.

Sony has a good UWA but it is almost double the price of canon offering.

I think the only serious gripe about EOS-m was AF speed and if it is increased by 2.3x with firmware upgrade as claimed it brings it back in competition specially after price correction.
I saw a deal of 399 $ for kit sometime back in an flipboard article.

Last edited by amitk26 : 6th June 2013 at 22:52.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:38   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Came across this sale - Nikon 1J1 mirrorless system with 10-30mm kit lens - http://www.infibeam.com/Cameras/i-Ni...-1J1-DSLR.html

Use Coupon MONSOON5 & the final price will be Rs. 16150

Wondering if this is a good deal. Any suggestions?
I would grab the deal. Keep in mind that the lens will make the whole camera much larger than a compact.
J1 sensor is much better than most compacts at 16K price levels. And compacts at 16K price levels also don't have a bright lens (which may compensate for inferior sensor).

There is one compact Nikon P330 at same price levels with bright lens. But if you don't have any qualms with large size of J1, go for it. It has phase detect focus, and would leave compacts dead ...

Keep in mind though that there are not many lens for this Nikon 1 mount. (and they are expensive).

Check out this size comparison (at almost the same price levels):http://camerasize.com/compact/#446,3...41,331.23,ga,t

Last edited by alpha1 : 12th June 2013 at 12:44.
Old 13th June 2013, 22:48   #1060
BHPian

Looks like all of a sudden, our mirrorless cameras aren't just enough.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/sams...ed-on-june-20/

It needs to be a SmartCamPhone!
Old 14th June 2013, 12:19   #1061
Senior - BHPian

All right my post got totally sidelined in the DSLR thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3141695
Lets see if I can garner some responses here.

I never got why people are so much interested in white balance "correction". The camera should record what it sees. Now if we have a problem with the scene's white balance, change the light source!

Of course this is not possible in cloudlight/moonlight case - but then in such cases our eyes are anyway seeing skewed colors! Why should a camera then work hard to try to make it look like a 6500K sunlit scene (or is it 5500K)?
Old 14th June 2013, 12:38   #1062
BHPian

New Q7 is here. No, not the Audi one. It is the new Pentax Q series mirrorless/interchangeable lens camera body. Q7.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pen...announced.html
And in Japan you can get a stunning limited edition complete Q7 kit (only 1000 units).
Ricoh. Please come to India soon.
Old 17th June 2013, 07:55   #1063
Senior - BHPian

after spending about 7 months with my nex 5R and a 50 mm F1.7 minolta lens, I am convinced that I need the 50 mm f1.8 E mount lens. I am missing some shots because of lack of autofocus, but I love the pictures I get from it.

The question is, should I go for 35 F1.8 or 50 F1.8? if I was to move back with 50 mm so both lenses covered the same area, which will give me a better subject isolation?

My guess is 50 mm will give me better isolation, but at the cost of increased shake. Not to mention I will have no place to move back indoors.

opinions?
Old 17th June 2013, 10:01   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
after spending about 7 months with my nex 5R and a 50 mm F1.7 minolta lens, I am convinced that I need the 50 mm f1.8 E mount lens. I am missing some shots because of lack of autofocus, but I love the pictures I get from it.

The question is, should I go for 35 F1.8 or 50 F1.8? if I was to move back with 50 mm so both lenses covered the same area, which will give me a better subject isolation?

My guess is 50 mm will give me better isolation, but at the cost of increased shake. Not to mention I will have no place to move back indoors.

opinions?
I have been using the 50mm for quite some time and I can tell you that the pictures come out sharper. My personal feeling is that this is the perfect focal length for portraits. If you are looking for snapping portraits, then the 50mm is the best option. The AF is excellent and together with the focus peaking, I have never missed any shots so far.
Old 19th June 2013, 19:41   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

I never got why people are so much interested in white balance "correction". The camera should record what it sees. Now if we have a problem with the scene's white balance, change the light source!

Of course this is not possible in cloudlight/moonlight case - but then in such cases our eyes are anyway seeing skewed colors! Why should a camera then work hard to try to make it look like a 6500K sunlit scene (or is it 5500K)?
At the end of the day, it comes down to your preference I think. Sometimes, I set the WB to cloudy on purpose because it gives me pleasing tones than leaving it on Auto WB. A lot of photographers want to represent colors as close as possible to what they think they had seen. But, I feel the whole correction thing came into picture because of paid work where your client does not want skewed colors. If it's a white car, I am sure a lot of photographers would want it show up as white and not with a slightly warm tint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post

opinions?
I'd say get the 35mm f1.8 (or 1.4 if nex has that). Works really well indoors and if you go outside you can still use it for environmental portraits or use the 50mm for a half body portrait.

Most Viewed