Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 15:44   #1081
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

I already provided the links to the reviews that helped me make my mind. What is more important is that I am thrilled after two months of usage.

All the indoor handheld shots in this album is taken in either 45mm or 17mm: http://samurai.smugmug.com/Travel/Ja...6522&k=bfPCnxw

Exif can be seen if you hover on the images and select I icon. The Exif window will remain as you move between pics.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st June 2013 at 15:46.
Old 21st June 2013, 23:30   #1082
BHPian

I also jumped into the Evil bandwagon with the OM-D EM-5.

Now need "photography for dummies" for a noob...

My photography is limited to the old family film Minolta and a P&S in recent years. Have to (re)learn from ABC.
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:19   #1083
Team-BHP Support

Congrats, on starting your photography journey with a great equipment. There are two ways you can go about it. (i) Get a book that explains photography from the newbie level to intermediate level. John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide is a great choice. (ii) Roam different photography sites and read about photography basics. This is free, but doesn't give same kind of coverage a book can give.

There is a difference between learning physics from a book, and learning physics from different sources like wiki and others. For a beginner, the former is better since an expert has compiled the material together just for your purpose.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:36   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post

My photography is limited to the old family film Minolta and a P&S in recent years. Have to (re)learn from ABC.
If by noob you mean you will be starting from absolute basics (ISO, aperture, exposure, metering etc), then I'd suggest you go thru video tutorials by Oksana available on youtube. I found them very well done and she has a teaching style that is very very easy to follow as well as interesting (probably because of her accent). I'd totally recommend the first few tutorials at the least.

Heres the link if you are interested:
Old 22nd June 2013, 21:16   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

Heres the link if you are interested:
Thanks, very useful. First step is thoroughly reading the manual, I guess.
Old 23rd June 2013, 00:06   #1086
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually, NO. If you don't know photography, the manual doesn't make much sense.
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:57   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Like Samurai said the manual might not help you much. OMD's manual is very very concise. If you want to read a book then I guess you can buy a book on OMD like the one by David Busch. Is much more informative then the manual.
Old 23rd June 2013, 08:30   #1088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations with your nex OMD- EM5. I'm sure you're going to love this camera. I know I do.

There are quite a few tutorials on youtube specifically for this camera. Just go to youtube an search for OMD-EM5.

The manual in the box is fine to get started. Once you're reasonable familiar with the camera you might consider the full Olympus manual,
see http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/..._Manual_EN.pdf

And if you want to know every little detail on the camera get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Buschs-Olympus.../dp/1285429966

It's also available as downloadable PDF.

Good luck and enjoy your new camera.

Jeroen
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:05   #1089
Senior - BHPian

The OMD is a very nice camera to begin with. Why don't start with the auto mode first and then take it from there. The advanced modes will surely become second nature once you delve deeper into your photography. I know it's do able coz I did it. IMHO a camera specific guide will not do much right now.
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:45   #1090
BHPian

Quote:

I recently picked up the "Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson" and I find it interesting with a good amount of detail. But like the others have suggested, follow some of the youtube tutorials and get to understand the basics and then pick up a book.
Old 25th June 2013, 12:40   #1091
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
It could be a mix of all of the things you mentioned. I have noticed that lenses have a big role to play how colors come out too. AWB is automatic, so camera will choose what it thinks is the right temperature of the light. If you have a white patch, you can use the paint dropper tool to set the WB on LR. Not sure how it works on other software. Yep, I am happy with 20mm but now mostly use 35mm on Fuji for my portraits indoors.
I think I found a way to fix this. It is the WB compensation in Custom Menu. There are two sliders that let you adjust the WB in the Amber-Blue and Green-Magenta direction. I've set them now to +1 for Amber (reddish) and -1 (Magenta). Will check results on my next photography trip.

I've used the dropper to select WB, but the color temps do not look warm in the results. The problem is that I never bothered to familiarize myself with the camera or read the manual properly so I shot in auto mode so far, and auto WB turned out to be no so optimal. Next photo trip will be manual.

I need a quick tip guys - how can I quickly determine best shutter speed and exposure for a spontaneous shot in manual mode? Or should I set things for the lighting conditions every 30 mins and then walk around with those settings? Sometimes we want to shoot a subject totally in a shade or shop lighting while we've been in the blazing sun and there is not enough time to set exposure for a candid shot.

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 25th June 2013 at 12:44.
Old 25th June 2013, 15:09   #1092
Team-BHP Support

That's why we have metering. Use either shutter or aperture priority mode, the camera will do the rest. You should use manual mode in very special cases.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:45   #1093
Senior - BHPian

A question to all the folks who have been contributing to this thread. Lugging my DSLR and lenses for impromptu meets and family outings has become cumbersome and thought it's about time I invest in a smaller camera.

With a budget of 25k what would you chaps suggest ?
Old 26th June 2013, 11:56   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Rjstyles

Sell your DSLR and make more budget for the best camera that can give your performance as close as a canon 5d Mark III is my all time favorite(for now) fujifilm E-X1 the younger sibling of the pro 1.

The sensor is different from your usual APS-C sensor and the image quality in JPEG rivals any competetion.

The noise is very low compared to any other cameras even at ISO 6400 and the size is such an advantage.

I was torn between getting a 6D and a X1 and i picked an X1- No regrets with the 35mm and 60mm macro that i have that i use mainly for portraits. The out of camera JPEG is what all we wanted

Or just the Fuji X100s

Last edited by VW2010 : 26th June 2013 at 12:03.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:57   #1095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
With a budget of 25k what would you chaps suggest ?
Canon S110 if 100mm is adequate or Nikon 7700 if you need 200mm (the Panny LF1 is not yet available and will be over 25K) and Panny FZ200 (I believe it is over 25K too) if you want to go to 600mm.

Obviously as lens reach becomes longer the cameras becomes less pocket-able.

Most Viewed