Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 00:45   #1276
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

It will have the same size sensor but will be a new generation Sony sensor with On sensor PDAF ,so expect improved AF speed with tracking , better DR and perhaps better low light performance.

As far as the naming it ,well Canon has the 1D at the top vs a 5D or a 600D.Nikon has a D3X at the top vs a D600.
Old 30th August 2013, 08:10   #1277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Would it also have a bigger sensor? When it has a higher spec., then why name it EM-1?
Bigger sensor? If it came with bigger sensor, none of the existing Olympus/Panasonic lenses can be used on it. Olympus has been using 4/3 sensor since 10 years. There is no reason to change that.
Old 30th August 2013, 20:46   #1278
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Or else the best option is to get the new NEX 3N.
If I am not mistaken, NEX 3N does not have contrast+phase hybrid AF.
Old 30th August 2013, 21:08   #1279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Yes and if you ask our mirrorless expert Samurai, he will tell you that his Olympus OM-D also does not have contrast +phase hybrid AF and works just fine.
Old 31st August 2013, 11:30   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post

As far as the naming it ,well Canon has the 1D at the top vs a 5D or a 600D.Nikon has a D3X at the top vs a D600.
In that sense, I like the naming conventions from Nikon. Higher the number on a particular series, better the specs. The Sony NEX also fits that naming pattern, higher the number, better the specs.
Old 31st August 2013, 16:36   #1281
BHPian

As suggested by few BHP'ians i picked up the Canon 50mm f/1.8 last weekend and have been trying to sharpen my skills.

One capture has come out great: http://500px.com/photo/44659770

I am yet to meet out with VW and get some more tips
Old 31st August 2013, 20:20   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
As suggested by few BHP'ians i picked up the Canon 50mm f/1.8 last weekend and have been trying to sharpen my skills.

One capture has come out great: http://500px.com/photo/44659770

I am yet to meet out with VW and get some more tips
That looks awesome and an excellent composition.
Old 1st September 2013, 13:30   #1283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would be really interested to know why this is a deal breaker for you.
Old 1st September 2013, 15:11   #1284
BHPian

Look what Sony is coming up with!

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-t...comment-251009

I'm just wondering how Sony could get this done. In any case, it looks soo interesting and tempting to know more on this Camera.
Old 1st September 2013, 17:29   #1285
BANNED

^Now all the old used lenses will go up in prices.Better pick some good Zeiss lenses now.

With todays computing power and smaller faster servos,I think its possible to do that.
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:34   #1286
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I would be really interested to know why this is a deal breaker for you.
Since I havnt got a chance to compare dslr and mirrorless by using it for photography, my knowledge of mirrorless is purely theoretical.
From what I read on the web, the biggest disadvantage pointed out by many is the lack of phase detect AF.
I would like to know your opinion on this. If phase detect AF does not make a huge difference, nex 3 is more than enough for me. Apart from your opinion, I would also like to know if a camera without phase detect will be a disadvantage in low light situation.
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:59   #1287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From what I read on the web, the biggest disadvantage pointed out by many is the lack of phase detect AF.
I would like to know your opinion on this. If phase detect AF does not make a huge difference, nex 3 is more than enough for me. Apart from your opinion, I would also like to know if a camera without phase detect will be a disadvantage in low light situation.
The choice is between speed vs accuracy of AF. Make your choice....

http://lxcellent.blogspot.in/2012/12...-and-pdaf.html

And keep in mind CDAF is not really slow, it is fast enough for most purposes. The Olympus cameras only have CDAF.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd September 2013 at 23:03.
Old 3rd September 2013, 00:31   #1288
BANNED

Quote:
Since I havnt got a chance to compare dslr and mirrorless by using it for photography, my knowledge of mirrorless is purely theoretical.
Are you going to use a continuous burst of shots on a moving subject coming towards you or away from you then the PDAF does help.It also a bit better if you using for video.

But if you shoot 1 or 2 shots at a moving subject a CDAF is more then enough.

To me the biggest reason to choose a NEX 6 is because of the EVF and two more dials and nothing else.It also shoots at higher FPS .The lcd also tilts down 45° and up 90°.

Where as the NEX-3N only tilts up but can do 180°(for self portrait). The step up NEX-5R tilts down 50° and up 180° for self portrait.But since both the NEX-5R and NEX-6 has wifi you can use a android phone or a tablet remotely to frame a shot.

Last edited by aim120 : 3rd September 2013 at 00:33.
Old 4th September 2013, 12:01   #1289
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The choice is between speed vs accuracy of AF. Make your choice....

http://lxcellent.blogspot.in/2012/12...-and-pdaf.html

And keep in mind CDAF is not really slow, it is fast enough for most purposes. The Olympus cameras only have CDAF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Are you going to use a continuous burst of shots on a moving subject coming towards you or away from you then the PDAF does help.It also a bit better if you using for video.

But if you shoot 1 or 2 shots at a moving subject a CDAF is more then enough.

To me the biggest reason to choose a NEX 6 is because of the EVF and two more dials and nothing else.It also shoots at higher FPS .The lcd also tilts down 45° and up 90°.

Where as the NEX-3N only tilts up but can do 180°(for self portrait). The step up NEX-5R tilts down 50° and up 180° for self portrait.But since both the NEX-5R and NEX-6 has wifi you can use a android phone or a tablet remotely to frame a shot.
Thanks guys. Guess I have to reconsider the need for pdaf.
The whole point in going for NEX was for hybrid PD+CD AF. So, if I decide on going for non-PD/hybrid AF mirrorless, isnt Olympus PEN Lite E-PL3 a good option? Apart from smaller sensor, is there any other disadvantage with this camera. I can save almost rs.8000/- compared to nex3, which I can invest on additional lenses. The range of lenses available for 4/3 system is also better than sony, right?

Does anyone here own Olympus PEN Lite E-PL3? Is there a bundled external flash provided?

Last edited by mxx : 4th September 2013 at 12:04.
Old 4th September 2013, 13:25   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone here own Olympus PEN Lite E-PL3? Is there a bundled external flash provided?
Yes I own it , there is a clip on flash in the bundle , Also I got a pure leather retro style Olympus PEN bag ( MRP 168 SG $ on Olympus website ) under promotional scheme but in Indian context it generates too much of curiosity if you take it around.

Coming back to PDAF vs CDAF based on my personal experience
whatever people say CDAF is slooooooowwww for moving objects like running kids and pets ( I have 4 budgerigars which fly around and love to sit on shoulders / head of people in my home) , DSLR outshines PEN in this area.

It does not mean that you can not take photos of moving objects every thing is comparative , people have been taking good motion shots with cellphone cameras as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks