Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 14:18   #1291
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Thanks guys. Guess I have to reconsider the need for pdaf.
The whole point in going for NEX was for hybrid PD+CD AF. So, if I decide on going for non-PD/hybrid AF mirrorless, isnt Olympus PEN Lite E-PL3 a good option? Apart from smaller sensor, is there any other disadvantage with this camera. I can save almost rs.8000/- compared to nex3, which I can invest on additional lenses. The range of lenses available for 4/3 system is also better than sony, right?

Does anyone here own Olympus PEN Lite E-PL3? Is there a bundled external flash provided?
EPL-3 has a panasonic sensor which is poor compared to todays standard(considering the size of the sensor),even a Sony RX100 smaller sensor outscores the Panasonic sensor in most parameters.It also lacks built-in flash.

The NEX3N if you where to compare clearly as a better sensor and in built flash.It also gives 60% more shots/charge compared to the EPL3.

If you do want to go the M4/3 route get the EPL-5 .
Old 4th September 2013, 17:13   #1292
BHPian

The bug to experiment with mirrorless has bit me. Again. However, i am not yet ready to spend a lot on this technology and also still not sure whether i will be able to dump DSLR and join the mirrorless band. Earlier i was contemplating buying a Fuji X-Pro1/E1/OMD etc. which would set me back by 65-75K min. The newly introduced Pana GX7 is still not launched (in India?), but shows a lot of promise. As few members suggested (thanks to them), that i should learn more tricks and sharpen my skills using available gear, sense prevailed and i controlled myself.

However, recently, i was browsing through a lot of photo fourms, photo critic sites and also product reviews. I noticed that a person need not spend a lot to "check" the mirrorless waters and can experiment whether that particular system is good or bad. I agree there is no good or bad camera, it depends on the person behind it and what he/she feels comfortable using and whether the camera satisfies his needs.

While browsing the product reviews i noticed that Pana GF1 and Oly E-PL3 are available with kit lens for about 18-19K, which i feel is a killer price. Although they have 12MP, but they still have the same sensor, have 3 inch LCD, no VF. If a person (with deeper pockets) can spend a little bit more he can buy a Oly E-PL5, Pana GX1 or a Sony NEX-3 for about 38K, 30K and 26K respectively.

These prices got me thinking (again) and that is where i again need helpful suggestions from fellow bhp'ians:

1. Will getting a 12MP M43 be a problem in terms of processor capability and new lens adaptability with older systems. How are the prices to play around with mirrorless and later (18 months or more) invest in a better M43 body.

2. I am not too keen on the Sony because of the limited availablity of its lenses and also interchanbality. If i get M43, i will be able to use the lens if i upgrade to Oly, Pana in future. Not sure if Fuji can take M43 lenses and what are the pros and cons.

3. Do you feel putting in a bit more dough and getting a GX1 would be better. to take benefit of the 16MP sensor, touchscreen and other additions. And also not to be stuck with a very old camera for next 18 months or more.

I will purchase around Oct/Nov timeframe. IF GX7 is launched in India by then, i am sure the GX1 will be available for 15-20% less that time and will make it a sweeter deal.
Old 4th September 2013, 18:18   #1293
Senior - BHPian

@Hyper-VTEC

Only thing to remember is bodies keep changing more often that makes your new body look obsolete in a year or year and a half these days. 5D MarkIII will look old when 5D MarkIV is announced. Similarly the fast samsung galaxy s2 now looks puny and slow compared to S4.

But the best part is lenses will continue to remain priced at similar price they go for in used market now.

Specially those good high end lenses.

Thats the reason some wisely chose a generation older body while use the difference in dough to get better glasses.

Having a 5D mark III is good but having a 6D and a better glass only makes it easier and better as a tool

Camera is just one part.
Old 4th September 2013, 18:36   #1294
BHPian

@VW2010. I agree.

That is why i am targeting 1 and 2 generation old camera bodies. My question was the additional benefit of better sensor/processor capability and the 2 generation old bodies becoming extinct soon. What i am worried that tomorrow Oly/Pana comes out with a lens but say that this is not compatible with E-PL3 or GX1. I am sure the current M43 lenses won't change at least for the next 5 years
Old 4th September 2013, 18:59   #1295
Senior - BHPian

@Hyper-VTEC

M43 is a system. All m43 lenses will be compatible irrespective of sensor/processor capability.

Please consider sensor improvement in terms of high iso performance more than speed or handling.

1d Mark III i have is better not used above iso800 while my fuji is daily shooting at iso 3200.

Thats a huge advantage considering a canon 5D mark III with a 85 1.2L would mean i can shoot probably without light but i would be exaggerating.

Look out for those DR, ISO and image based parameter over features like better LCD, better body design etc that may still have the same image parameters.

I am going to get a 5D mark III. But dont know when
Old 4th September 2013, 19:03   #1296
Team-BHP Support

Since OM-D and E-PL5, Olympus uses Sony sensor, which is miles ahead of earlier sensor. Therefore, do not think about buying E-PL3 to save some money.

Since both OM-D and E-PL5 are quite expensive, I suggest people look at NEX 3N and 5R for now.
Old 5th September 2013, 01:07   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I suggest people look at NEX 3N and 5R for now.
And I got myself the former for a steal here in the US .
Old 7th September 2013, 08:49   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
And I got myself the former for a steal here in the US .
Congratulations. It is hard to imagine that you still got a good deal from US, in spite of the abysmal $ to Rs. rate. 3N is available around 25K in India with Bill/Warranty.
Old 8th September 2013, 00:50   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Something of an interest for m4/3 owners/fans

Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II is listed as a forthcoming item on homeshop18. If the price is right, this could be a very nice walkaround lens for most of us
Old 10th September 2013, 12:05   #1300
Team-BHP Support

The OMD EM1 has been launched.

http://cameras.olympus.com/omd/

But I am more interested in that lens, seen attached to the EM1. The 12-40mm F/2.8 lens. Need to know more about that, looks like a smaller walkaround lens.

The very first m4/3 PRO lens: http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/l...2_8/index.html

Last edited by Samurai : 10th September 2013 at 12:08.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:08   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
The OMD EM1 has been launched.
Hopefully the EM5 will see a price cut after this launches in India
Old 10th September 2013, 12:11   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 12-40mm F/2.8 lens.
Its actually a 24-80 F2.8 IS lens.

The tamron 24-70 is 70k and canon with no IS is over a L.

Mirrorless are fun when you dont need fast AF
Old 10th September 2013, 12:13   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I am more interested in that lens, seen attached to the EM1. The 12-40mm F/2.8 lens. Need to know more about that, looks like a smaller walkaround lens.

The very first m4/3 PRO lens: http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/l...2_8/index.html
Its priced at $999. So will cost upwards of 70k here.

Very expensive for a walkaround lens, but yes it might mean no need to buy any of 12mm, 17mm or 20/25mm.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:15   #1304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Its actually a 24-80 F2.8 IS lens.
What do you mean? If you mount this on Panasonic body, there is no IS.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:43   #1305
Senior - BHPian

@samurai,

on the OMD-E1 its a stabilized lens right?

And the specifications are actually very impressive.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/c...fications.html

Look at the AF system and the options available. I am tempted to try a olympus as well now

Most Viewed