Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 15:24   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Need info on where to get reasonably priced Adapters for Nex. Looking at Leica M, M42 Screw, Canon FD etc.
I guess you can order them from ebay. I've recently placed an order from a china based ebay seller. Still waiting for the adapters to reach me, might take 10-15 days or more.

In India, you can try with Anish from Videolinks. He is a Kerala based seller and a pretty good one. I've bought a few flashes and other stuffs from him. Very efficient delivery system which might even put some big companies to shame.

I've seen adapters for Nex in DealExtreme too, check them also.
Old 1st October 2013, 21:06   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I guess you can order them from ebay. I've recently placed an order from a china based ebay seller. Still waiting for the adapters to reach me, might take 10-15 days or more. In India, you can try with Anish from Videolinks. He is a Kerala based seller and a pretty good one. I've bought a few flashes and other stuffs from him. Very efficient delivery system which might even put some big companies to shame. I've seen adapters for Nex in DealExtreme too, check them also.
Thanks Kaushik. I ordered from Hong Kong. Waiting for them.
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:44   #1323
BHPian

A couple more days and Sony to announce the two new NEX-FF models. The first rumors point that one of the NEX-FF looks like the OM-D's design.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/nex-f...-alike-design/
Old 11th October 2013, 11:46   #1324
BHPian

Got a E-PL5!

Hi all,

I have been following this thread and mirrorless trends in general almost from the time they were first introduced. I enjoy photography, but not enough to carry a DSLR. So my photography was limited to compacts cameras. When I first saw these new crop of mirrorless cameras, I thought that these might be just right for me. But I was skeptical about the longevity of such format. So, I decided to wait and watch.

I watched while the positive reviews of NEX-7/6/5 came by. I checked the cameras in a few stores, but I did not find them suitable for me. Though the cameras were small, the lenses were still large (at least from my point of view). Then came the Olympus O-MD5, got glowing reviews and even won the camera of the year according to reader's poll at dpreview. However, it still seemed big to me.

And recently, the Olympus E-PL5 was announced: a cheaper version of O-MD5 with the same sensor and more importantly smaller. I went around shops trying to get a feel of the camera. But it was not found anywhere on display in Bangalore. I could, however, get to handle the E-PL3 (which was same size as E-PL5) and found it to be the right size for me. I decided to take the mirrorless plunge with the E-PL5.

I went around shops in Bangalore, but no one had any piece of E-PL5 to sell. I called all dealers listed in Olympus India page: few had closed down, few had relocated. But none of them had any model for sale or could commit when one would be available. Then, I decided to buy online. E-bay and snapdeal had the model listed and quoted a price of 51K and 47k respectively for the two-lens version. Being a paranoid online buyer, I was contemplating whether to buy or not. That's when I came across the Croma deal: E-PL5 with two lenses for Rs. 39.5k (33.5k for single lens). That tipped the scales for me and I immediately ordered the twin lens version online.

It was delivered to me yesterday (10-Oct) in three days time. I played with it for sometime yesterday. It is the right size for me. Image quality looking a few initial shots seems to be good. I seems to be perfect for a compact upgrader like me (may not be the same for those used to a DSLR). I am excited about my purchase and can't wait to play with it over the weekend.

Regards,
Prasad
Old 12th October 2013, 13:11   #1325
BHPian

Looks like the OM-D design influenced the upcoming NEX-FF camera from Sony!

http://www.43rumors.com/omd-vs-a7-de...-really-close/

Like the rumor precisely says it, the NEX-FF sketch looks like an assembled Lego block, while the OM-D looks much more elegant and proportionate.
Old 14th October 2013, 19:31   #1326
BHPian

Here are the first images of the A7 and A7r (ehem., the Lego) from Sony,

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-h...s-with-lenses/
Old 16th October 2013, 17:10   #1327
Distinguished - BHPian

Sony's new FF MLCs have been announced today 16/10

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10...&ref=title_0_0

and potential impact:

http://photographylife.com/the-poten...ystem-on-dslrs
Old 17th October 2013, 12:12   #1328
BHPian

The A7 to me seems like a good option to upgrade. Wondering how the IQ is and the Camera performance with different lenses. Leica has got some tough competition now!
Old 17th October 2013, 12:23   #1329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
The A7 to me seems like a good option to upgrade. Wondering how the IQ is and the Camera performance with different lenses. Leica has got some tough competition now!
I am using a Nex 5N and a Nikon D7000
The 16MP sensor used is the same in both cameras and I find the pictures very very similar in quality.
So I guess the A7/A7R are going to be like D600E and D800E as far as IQ is concerned
That said the positives are
1. Use E mount lenses(crop mode).
2. Use alpha lenses with full AF support with LA-E4/E2 etc.,
3. Use Nikon F, Pentax, Canon FD etc., (Old lenses) with manual focus etc., controls. Also use M lenses etc.,

Negatives
1. No EVF in build means awkward shooting. Holding cam at distance is no good
2. No separate battery charger. So if you have 2 batteries, you need to buy a separate charger, maybe third party if you want to keep shooting while battery is charging
3. A big lens and a small body may look awkward

That said, it provides a similar upgrade path for people who go from D7000-D800
Your old lenses work, but in crop mode.

The biggest challenge would be native lenses.
With NEX, sony took a long time to come out with lenses, and frustrated a lot of people.
If this catches on, we should have some real nice lenses from Sigma
Old 17th October 2013, 12:50   #1330
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I have an Oly EPL2 which came with a 14-42mm lens. Wanted to know where lenses are available in India - I dont see too many Indian online retailers stocking them. JJ Mehta's site had a few. Or am I just looking in the wrong places?
Old 17th October 2013, 13:03   #1331
Team-BHP Support

http://camshot.in/Mirrorless-System-Lenses-Olympus.html lists all the lenses available in India.
Old 17th October 2013, 13:11   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Guys, I have an Oly EPL2 which came with a 14-42mm lens. Wanted to know where lenses are available in India - I dont see too many Indian online retailers stocking them. JJ Mehta's site had a few. Or am I just looking in the wrong places?
Hi Neil,
You can checkout camshot.in Good sales experience for me. I got my E-PL 5 from Camshot at a competitive price. Details are there in the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post

It was delivered to me yesterday (10-Oct) in three days time. I played with it for sometime yesterday. It is the right size for me. Image quality looking a few initial shots seems to be good. I seems to be perfect for a compact upgrader like me (may not be the same for those used to a DSLR). I am excited about my purchase and can't wait to play with it over the weekend.
Right choice buddy. It's a brilliant cam.
Old 17th October 2013, 13:19   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post

Right choice buddy. It's a brilliant cam.
Thanks. I am still learning the tricks of the trade. Taking pics now requires more planning. However, it is much more satisfying and rewarding.
Old 17th October 2013, 21:40   #1334
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am using a Nex 5N and a Nikon D7000
The 16MP sensor used is the same in both cameras and I find the pictures very very similar in quality.
So I guess the A7/A7R are going to be like D600E and D800E as far as IQ is concerned
That said the positives are
1. Use E mount lenses(crop mode).
2. Use alpha lenses with full AF support with LA-E4/E2 etc.,
3. Use Nikon F, Pentax, Canon FD etc., (Old lenses) with manual focus etc., controls. Also use M lenses etc.,

Negatives
1. No EVF in build means awkward shooting. Holding cam at distance is no good
2. No separate battery charger. So if you have 2 batteries, you need to buy a separate charger, maybe third party if you want to keep shooting while battery is charging
3. A big lens and a small body may look awkward

That said, it provides a similar upgrade path for people who go from D7000-D800
Your old lenses work, but in crop mode.

The biggest challenge would be native lenses.
With NEX, sony took a long time to come out with lenses, and frustrated a lot of people.
If this catches on, we should have some real nice lenses from Sigma
Both the cameras have in built OLED EVF.

They have said they will launch a total of 15 lenses within 2 years,they have already announced 5 lenses,thats more then what nikon or canon or fuji launched with their respective mirrorless cameras.
Old 17th October 2013, 21:59   #1335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Both the cameras have in built OLED EVF.

They have said they will launch a total of 15 lenses within 2 years,they have already announced 5 lenses,thats more then what nikon or canon or fuji launched with their respective mirrorless cameras.
When I said lenses I meant compared to traditional DSLR or Oly/Panasonic ecosystem. Canon and nikon got into mirrorless just because its selling hot cakes in japan. Its the same story like dust removal. When Olympus came out with sensor dust removal, canon said its not needed. There is no dust in the world and dust on sensor was some evil conspiracy, and soon they came out with sensor dust removal system which does not work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks