Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 10:45   #1351
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Sharath, I must confess that the price is not easy to swallow. It is an expensive combination for a m43.

There are times when I wondered if it was right to spend this kind of money on a MLC. But once I put this little camera thru its paces yes, I was happy.

The EM1 keeps up with the best of DSLRs in single frame AF. And that's no joke. Superb construction. The 12-40 has better damping on the focus and zoom rings than some of my Nikon "pro" lenses. Just amazing to use.

I would NOT suggest you see it coz it would be oh-so-tempting.

If you keep the price aside, Oly's hit this one right out of the park. I don't think there's a MLC package that can perform like this one from an overall system perspective.
Old 7th January 2014, 12:30   #1352
Team-BHP Support

I can't think of body upgrade yet. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The 12-40 has better damping on the focus and zoom rings than some of my Nikon "pro" lenses. Just amazing to use.
You do think it is a good idea to swap 17mm F/1.8 & 12-50mm for the 12-40mm F/2.8 ? I got the 17mm because I needed a fast normal lens. I may not need it with 12-40mm.
Old 7th January 2014, 13:43   #1353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You do think it is a good idea to swap 17mm F/1.8 & 12-50mm for the 12-40mm F/2.8 ? I got the 17mm because I needed a fast normal lens. I may not need it with 12-40mm.
I'd give it a conditional yes, because the 12-40 is expensive (95K MRP and really hard to find) plus it's *much* larger than the 17mm and larger than the 12-50mm. So if you prefer compact glass, this lens isn't for you.

http://www.olympus-imaging.co.in/products/price/dslr/

In fact I am thinking of selling my 75mm 1.8 and/or 45mm 1.8 primes only because I have the 12-40. It will help in recuperate some of the money spent. Do you think I should? Or would these 3 lenses make a decent all round kit? The 12-40 equates to approx. 24-70 in FF, which is my most used focal length. I have that lens permanently mounted on my Nikon camera.

Like you I don't intend using the EM1 for anything but photographs of family and friends. For everything else the Nikon gear kicks in.

PS - the 12-40 retails for just under US$ 1000. Get it from the US if possible. I think its in stock at B&H

EDIT - Sorry, nopes, it's backordered at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...igital_ed.html

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th January 2014 at 13:48.
Old 7th January 2014, 14:00   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Congrats R2D2. Thats a pretty special camera you've got yourself there. Really love the likes of that 12-40. I think you can keep your 45 and 75. Those are great little lenses. I am really happy with my 45. Its the best lens I have.

Hey OM-D EM-5 gang in Bangalore. Fancy a photography meet-up? I would really love to catch up with people and learn a thing or two about this camera and using it. We could drive to a nearby location (suggestions?) and try to click some pictures.
Old 7th January 2014, 15:37   #1355
Team-BHP Support

No point selling 75mm 1.8 and/or 45mm 1.8 lenses. They hold their own territory very well. Stock is available in Amazon, and I am still think. This is will be most expensive lens purchase, thanks to the dollar exchange price. But I am sure it will have good resale value. The one m4/3 lens I sold, I made a profit.

Regarding OMD meet, how many are there here? BTW, the forum doesn't allow planning of brand specific meets.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th January 2014 at 15:42.
Old 7th January 2014, 16:56   #1356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Congrats R2D2. Thats a pretty special camera you've got yourself there. Really love the likes of that 12-40. I think you can keep your 45 and 75. Those are great little lenses. I am really happy with my 45. Its the best lens I have.
Thank you joslicx. Yes, it is special camera. Trust me. I've read reviews of this little camera being soaked in running water, left standing in 1/2" of water, frozen in a block of ice etc. In other words receiving punishment that might even cause a Nikon D4 to hiccup. Though I look after my gear, this is probably THE camera I would not hesitate to expose to environmental extremes. It gets my vote alright.

I am still deciding what to do with those 2 primes. Just a thought that crossed my mind a few days ago.

Quote:
No point selling 75mm 1.8 and/or 45mm 1.8 lenses. They hold their own territory very well. Stock is available in Amazon, and I am still think. This is will be most expensive lens purchase, thanks to the dollar exchange price. But I am sure it will have good resale value. The one m4/3 lens I sold, I made a profit.
That 12-40's price really makes you sit up and think hard before buying one. It's priced in the territory of some high end FF lenses.

IF and that's a very big IF I ever buy another m43 lens it will be the 40-150 F2.8 pro lens expected late 2014. I can only imagine it will really expensive, $1400-1600, if not more. It will be priced even higher, say 50% more, in India. All this is only a guess based on what the 12-40 is currently priced at.

If I do, then the primes will have to go. I wont need any other lenses.
Old 9th January 2014, 02:54   #1357
BHPian

Friends, can I get some expert opinion on how good is Nikon's Nikon 1 J1 model. I am thinking of upgrading from my basic point and shoot to an entry level mirrorless or DSLR. I found a good deal for this model with 10-30mm VR Zoom lens. But I do not wish to sacrifice image quality for a deal.

Priorities are 1. Low light capability 2. Portraits and kids

Thanks.
Old 9th January 2014, 10:48   #1358
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, Nikon J1...

Well, this is what Dpreview says about it while giving an overall score of 67%:
Quote:
The J1 will reward point-and-shoot upgraders with a noticeable bump in image quality, but often fails to deliver acceptable results in lower-light settings when operated in its fully automated mode.
Nikon's mirrorless offerings are really sad. Just avoid it.
Old 9th January 2014, 14:09   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regarding OMD meet, how many are there here? BTW, the forum doesn't allow planning of brand specific meets.
I guess there are fair few OMD warriors here. But as you said, that post was not in alignment with the forum rules so please delete the post as you are a mod yourself. Thanks,
Old 10th January 2014, 13:14   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess there are fair few OMD warriors here.
Why not just do a Bangalore Team BHP photo enthusiasts' meet? Why do you guys want to stay within your exclusivist (just joking) MLC bubble?
Old 10th January 2014, 13:57   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Why not just do a Bangalore Team BHP photo enthusiasts' meet? Why do you guys want to stay within your exclusivist (just joking) MLC bubble?
Well the EM-5 is the first "serious" camera I have owned and I find it to be quite complicated to use. For example the overwhelmingly exhaustive menu system, all the hard buttons are programmable so it is possible to configure it in many ways. Added to it are the preset mysets (memories) that can be used. I find it quite confusing and havent really figured out how to make use of lot of this stuff. So I thought its a good idea to meet other people with the same camera and maybe learn a thing or two from them!

yes the idea of having a photo enthusiasts meet is also welcome. I'm game for it.
Old 10th January 2014, 14:29   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the EM-5 is the first "serious" camera I have owned and I find it to be quite complicated to use. For example the overwhelmingly exhaustive menu system, all the hard buttons are programmable so it is possible to configure it in many ways. Added to it are the preset mysets (memories) that can be used. I find it quite confusing and havent really figured out how to make use of lot of this stuff. So I thought its a good idea to meet other people with the same camera and maybe learn a thing or two from them!
That's true for any mid/pro level DSLR as well - irrespective of the brand. A deep dive into the manual and some practice with the camera should sort things out. Would also depend on what you shoot - the 'right' settings, that is.
Old 10th January 2014, 18:08   #1363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
That's true for any mid/pro level DSLR as well - irrespective of the brand. A deep dive into the manual and some practice with the camera should sort things out. Would also depend on what you shoot - the 'right' settings, that is.
I have had my OMD-E-5 for about a year. There is an excellent book on the use of this camera and all its features and functions by David Busch. Its available in hardcopy on Ebay for about INR 1100. There is also a PDF version for less. I found it very useful and much better and elaborate then the standard Olympus manual.

Jeroen
Old 10th January 2014, 18:42   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a Canon EOS M in Singapore. Was lucky to get a 'Made in Japan' piece. Having too much fun with it :-)... Simply 'un-putdownable'.
Old 10th January 2014, 18:56   #1365
Team-BHP Support

I have never opened the manual for OMD EM5. Probably because I am an olympus dSLR user since 2006 and this is my 4th Olympus body, I am very familiar with the menu.

Most Viewed