Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-98.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 3466593)
Guys... any personal review of the Canon EOS M....
I am looking at buying the same as a companion camera to EOS 7D.

What do you think about 1200D? (as compared to EOS-M).

1200D is also fairly light and compact (for a DSLR)
And with 26k price (body only) not that expensive either for a secondary body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 3467163)
What do you think about 1200D? (as compared to EOS-M).

1200D is also fairly light and compact (for a DSLR)
And with 26k price (body only) not that expensive either for a secondary body.

The build quality of the low end canon slr's just isn't good enough. Eos M has been praised all around for build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3467128)
With 30K budget you could reach for Sony A5000 with 16-50mm lens. NEX is last generation.

Sony A5000 is a good suggestions. Thanks.

Will go and check physically how it feels in hand and then take a decision.

Can Sony A5000 (with 16-50 lens) give image quality of D7000 (with 18-105 lens)?

If not, can Sony A6000 do so ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3467128)
With 30K budget you could reach for Sony A5000 with 16-50mm lens. NEX is last generation.

Yes, A5000 is the way to go, however, you have to understand that entry level NEXs do not come with a "EVF". Only screen
If you want EVF you have to go to the 6(42000) or the Alpha 3500 which looks more like a traditional dslr
If you are comfortable shooting using the LCD screen, then the NEX Alpha5000 is a very good camera

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukeshgoel (Post 3467188)
Can Sony A5000 (with 16-50 lens) give image quality of D7000 (with 18-105 lens)?

The DXOmark score is 79 and 80 for A5000 and D7000. So it is a very close thing sensor wise. But A5000 doesn't have phase-detect or EVF. Neither bother me because I don't do action photography or use EVF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukeshgoel (Post 3467188)
If not, can Sony A6000 do so ?

That is big upgrade over A5000, almost 18K more. This is an upgrade over D7000.

But you have to also consider lenses when you switch systems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3467189)
Yes, A5000 is the way to go, however, you have to understand that entry level NEXs do not come with a "EVF". Only screen
If you want EVF you have to go to the 6(42000)

If you are comfortable shooting using the LCD screen, then the NEX Alpha5000 is a very good camera

Thanks Tanveer. I have dropped idea of buying NEX now. Confusion is between A5000 and A6000. Earlier best online offer was 31.5k and 43.5k for them respectively. So the difference of 12k was making this confusion. Now you told that A6000 is available for 42k (will ask source over PM). So, difference of just just 10.5k has confused me further.

Other than EVF, what else am I getting with A6000? Remember, I am a not an advance user.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3467222)
The DXOmark score is 79 and 80 for A5000 and D7000. So it is a very close thing sensor wise. But A5000 doesn't have phase-detect or EVF. Neither bother me because I don't do action photography or use EVF.

That is big upgrade over A5000, almost 18K more. This is an upgrade over D7000.

But you have to also consider lenses when you switch systems.

Thanks. I understand A5000 is good enough for my requirements but as mentioned, difference of 10.5k is confusing me. If the difference 18k, picking up A5000 was no-brainer for me. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukeshgoel (Post 3467233)
Thanks. I understand A5000 is good enough for my requirements but as mentioned, difference of 10.5k is confusing me. If the difference 18k, picking up A5000 was no-brainer for me. :p

18K difference is in MRP. I don't know the discounts on them.

If you sticking with the kit lens, then A5000 itself will be more than sufficient for you. A6000 is much more advanced, will create much bigger file due to higher resolution.

Rest of the difference.

If you are seasoned dSLR user planning to buy more lenses later, then A6000 is the way to go. If you upgrading from P&S, then A5000 is perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3467293)
18K difference is in MRP. I don't know the discounts on them.

If you sticking with the kit lens, then A5000 itself will be more than sufficient for you. A6000 is much more advanced, will create much bigger file due to higher resolution.

Rest of the difference.

If you are seasoned dSLR user planning to buy more lenses later, then A6000 is the way to go. If you upgrading from P&S, then A5000 is perfect.

Thanks. Based on the answers and after reading about both the models, I think I have made up my mind to buy A5000. Rest, I will go to a shop, try each one of them in my hands and then take a final decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3467293)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukeshgoel (Post 3467297)
Thanks. Based on the answers and after reading about both the models, I think I have made up my mind to buy A5000. Rest, I will go to a shop, try each one of them in my hands and then take a final decision.

I would word it differently
If you do not want an EVF and can shoot with screen only, go for A5000
If you want EVF then go for A6000
43K is a bit unrealistic. I have to see if the seller is genuine, since lowest price is 48K everywhere else. I suspect these may be open box items resealed.

The A6000 has the best AF tracking of any mirror less camera with high FPS,its has PDAF zones covering almost the entire frame.
It also has a EVF .While some say the EVF has a lower resolution then the NEX6,its much crisper from what i saw.This could be due to the better contrast of the A6000 EVF or simply due to the better sensor in the A6000 due to the fact that WYSIWYG(in this case what the sensor sees is what you get).

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 3467104)
Want to buy canon because it let's me use my EF lenses.

You still need to use a adapter and the AF is so slow in EF lenses.
I read somewhere that the third party adapters for the NEX focuses just as fast or faster then canons own adapter.

Any one using the nikon FT-1 adapter with a Nikon 1 camera and AF-S lens, specifially the AF-S 55-300 f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens ? please share your experience.

thanks
Srinivas

Ladies & Gents, need some help with choosing a camera for the in-laws.

Budget is about 30-35K max. Not extendable.

Camera will be used by my in-laws when they go on vacation, in November this year.

They are not particularly camera savvy folks, so a DSLR is not on my list.

However, they are interested in taking photos that look good, without being bothered too much about manual controls & exposure settings.

So, I was looking for an advanced Point & Shoot or a Mirrorless Camera.

Few options that I am considering are as follows:

Canon EOS-M

Sony Alpha A5000

Sony DSC RX100 II

Do any of these make for a sensible purchase to give to folks above the age of 50?
Please do give your recommendations and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!:thumbs up

I will advice against EOS-M. I have seen prices of mirrorless cameras falling a lot, and it doesn't make much sense to give DSLR (EOS-M is a lens camera) to non-tech persons.

My vote is for RX100 II. Also, as you have a good budget, consider Canon S110 or S200 (diluted S110, a superb camera with absolute ease of use for non-tech savvy persons, very handy. Can go in a jeans pocket as well.) At a price 10k - 15k lesser than RX100II, it is a very worthy alternative.

If your folks can handle bigger cameras and want zoom, then check panasonic fz200. 24x zoom with F2.8 throughout the zoom is terrific.

I will suggest you S110/S200 though. Canon quality in that small camera is a marvel to behold. I never prefer Sony because of past experience of having to use separate cable for every model! Don't know about current crop though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 3507924)
I will advice against EOS-M.

My vote is for RX100 II. Also, as you have a good budget, consider Canon S110 or S200 (diluted S110, a superb camera with absolute ease of use for non-tech savvy persons, very handy. Can go in a jeans pocket as well.) At a price 10k - 15k lesser than RX100II, it is a very worthy alternative.

I will suggest you S110/S200 though. Canon quality in that small camera is a marvel to behold. I never prefer Sony because of past experience of having to use separate cable for every model! Don't know about current crop though.

Thanks for the suggestions mate! Much appreciated.

I was angling for the EOS - M only as Flipkart was offering it a steal of a price. Otherwise, I too did not find any review extolling the EOS -M as an amazing kit.

I am pretty much sold on the RX 100 II, or the RX 100 even. For old folks, I believe that camera should do well. The Canons look good as well. Just need to make up my mind.

Other than these, are there any other alternatives? Do let me know. Thanks!