Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 16:16   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: I am EVIL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Attachment 1011331

Its the NEX-5N, and with it I enter the EVIL world.
First of all, I am not throwing my D7000 out of the window.
Not even out of the door. Its is, and will remain my "beloved"
Well written tsk1979. Congrats on becoming EVIL (owner).

Where did you get the NEX-5N from? I guess its not yet available in India. Can you share the price details? Also, are you planning to get the E-Mount to Alpha-mount adapter?

Please please upload some pics on the Image thread so that prospective buyers get an idea.
Old 6th November 2012, 16:25   #512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Well written tsk1979. Congrats on becoming EVIL (owner).

Where did you get the NEX-5N from? I guess its not yet available in India. Can you share the price details? Also, are you planning to get the E-Mount to Alpha-mount adapter?

Please please upload some pics on the Image thread so that prospective buyers get an idea.
Its not available in India. So I got it from the US of A. Total cost around 540$(tax shipping and the works included)
No Alpha adapters.
I just plan to get 18-200 and make this my walky.
All the lens circus I will keep for the D7000
Old 6th November 2012, 17:58   #513
BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

I tried a small focusing test on my NEX 6. The aim for me was to get the letters embodied in the shield of my jacket in focus. I tried many possible settings in the Aperture priority. But this is all what I could get!

How could I get this shot better with that red shield in focus and clearly readable?
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-strellson_jacke.jpg  

Old 6th November 2012, 20:27   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1011331

I have owned funny stuff.
And I must say, this is among the funny ones. Imagine you buy a Maruti 800, and then fit a 20" tire on it.
It sure looks funny.
It does not have a "permanently attached flash", its a detachable unit, just like external flashes on "normal" cams
It does not even have a viewfinder, like those ultra slim keep in pocket P&S cams which start weeping the moment you cross ISO 200

But as a walkabout, its going to be my primary shooter, and I guess no missed shots because I was too lazy to change lens!
wow Tanveer, you have summarized almost all the reasons I am getting Nex-5R for. I just needed a 180-flip LCD that 5N lacks.

But I am surprised you are getting 18-200 and still calling it walky. so your gain is not having to change lenses, rather than the size (AKA 20 inch tires on maruti 800).

The 2010 lot of 16mm 2.8 sony nex lens is going cheap on amazon and ebay too, if you want something truly pocketable. I am seriously considering it.

And, there are adapters for almost every lens system, I have ordered nikon. with focus peaking, having to do manual focus shouldn't be a big deal.

EDIT: @Joe, change autofocus area to center. you are probably using multi which is averaging the whole picture for focus.
Old 6th November 2012, 21:25   #515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I tried many possible settings in the Aperture priority. But this is all what I could get!

How could I get this shot better with that red shield in focus and clearly readable?
The aperture priority has nothing to with focusing. Looks like you are using multi area focusing, so the camera picks the focus area, not you. Change to single point focus, then you can choose the target.
Old 6th November 2012, 22:29   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1011331

I have owned funny stuff.
And I must say, this is among the funny ones. Imagine you buy a Maruti 800, and then fit a 20" tire on it.
It sure looks funny.
It does not have a "permanently attached flash", its a detachable unit, just like external flashes on "normal" cams
It does not even have a viewfinder, like those ultra slim keep in pocket P&S cams which start weeping the moment you cross ISO 200
<snip>
Congratulations!! The 5N is something I really admire, much more than the 7. While you were at it, you should have gotten some adapters which would let you adapt the old lenses. I love focus peaking with enlarged view for macro photography. Here's one from me,

Nex 5 + Contax G Zeiss 90mm Sonnar f2.8 + Marumi DHG +5 (I think).

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-7996826788_b48fd357fb_c.jpg

This should have been difficult if not for peaking in enlarged view. Waiting to try the 5N, hopefully it'll happen soon.
Old 7th November 2012, 06:27   #517
Senior - BHPian

I have another newbie question. Does the optical IS in lens need a connection to camera's circuitry? This is related to getting the nikon adapter for the Nex. Since it's only a physical adapter, it will not be able to communicate to/power the lens.

I am reading and the websites talk about piezo-electric sensors to detect shake. I doubt if it will work without power from the camera.
Old 7th November 2012, 08:37   #518
Senior - BHPian

This is for any/all Olympus OM-D EM5 owners/users

Theres gonna be a Fast Start course on using this camera hosted on creativelive. It can be viewed free on the web when it goes on AIR on 4th Dec. To join heres the link
http://www.creativelive.com/courses/...m-5-fast-start
Old 7th November 2012, 09:53   #519
BHPian

Hey guys have been using the Nex 5 for about 1 and a half years now and have got 2 manual lens's along with the adapter for the OM system. But what I have noticed is that either my hands are too shakey or am unable to get a good blur free focus everytime. Maybe 5-6/10 times at best.

So I was looking around for the 50mm 1.8 E mount lens, but its just not avalable anywhere. Infact the Sony India website does not list it either. Any ideas on this?
Old 7th November 2012, 10:02   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I tried a small focusing test on my NEX 6. The aim for me was to get the letters embodied in the shield of my jacket in focus. I tried many possible settings in the Aperture priority. But this is all what I could get!

Experts have already spoken and suggested all possible ways to get better focus. Did you tripod while clicking this pic? If not, then using a tripod makes a world of difference when you are focusing on such minute objects. And as already mentioned, aperture priority has nothing to do with a still object.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:57   #521
BHPian

Thanks guys for all those clarifications. I will try to get that shot again today.

NEX 5N users, for what purpose do you use the Fn button? I'm want to customize that but now sure to what settings I should customize it to?
Old 7th November 2012, 15:34   #522
Team-BHP Support

The website camshot.in has a price of 68K for OM-D. Know anything about them? That appears to be the cheapest price I have seen so far.

http://camshot.in/cameras-Mirrorless...m-Olympus.html

Last edited by Samurai : 7th November 2012 at 16:39.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:45   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The website camshot.in has a price of 68K for OM-D. Know anything about them? That appears to be the cheapest price I have seen so far.

http://camshot.in/cameras-Mirrorless...m-Olympus.html
Camshot is one of THE best camera shops in Pune. I know the owner, Mr. Vaidya, personally and I have always referred this place to people buying a DSLR camera. He gives a flat discount of about 12% on the MRP without asking. He is also the authorized reseller of Olympus products.

Camshot is 100% reliable based on my experience.

[I have absolutely no profit sharing contract with Camshot owner. This is only based on personal experiences over the last 2 years ].
Old 9th November 2012, 00:22   #524
BHPian

I did put my NEX 6 to test today. Took some night shots, some with flash and some without and I'm quite impressed with the results. I primarily shot with Aperture, Shutter priority modes. Coming from the P&S world, I can see why these expensive EVIL / DSLR cameras are worth the money.
Old 9th November 2012, 07:51   #525
Senior - BHPian

received my Nex 5R. It's not as big as I thought it would be. If I knew they only had silver lenses I would have ordered silver body

now waiting for the minolta lenses I ordered from ebay.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dscf5617.jpg
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dscf5618.jpg

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 9th November 2012 at 08:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks