Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2018, 15:45   #1981
BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Does anyone know of places to rent micro-four-thirds lens in Bangalore? I see many places that provide Canon/Nikon and even Sony lenses on rent, but very few places with Panasonic/Olympus lenses. I am looking for a telephoto lens beyond the 150mm reach (300mm FF equiv.) and I don't want to invest in one.

- Prasad
Old 11th February 2018, 10:21   #1982
Team-BHP Support

I was using a Sony NEX-5 mirrorless till now. Was very happy with the camera but found the lack of EVF and the ability to change the shooting modes with physical dials a bit irritating.

The lack of good lenses to upgrade from was a big reason I decided to move out of the Sony APS-C family. Else I was considering the A6000 or A6300.

After some research and speaking to Samurai who has a OM-D, I picked up a Olympus OM-D E-M10 MKII. The MKIII was out but it only added 4K video and some improvement in image processing. They also removed the comprehensive menu system with all the customization in favour of a simpler UI easier for the amateurs. Reading reviews this was a backward move.

Got a great deal on the E-M10 MKII from Singapore and a colleague brought it down just before the Expo.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-img_20180205_171724.jpg

You can see the Tata motors thread, Maruti thread are all shot with the Olympus in challenging lighting conditions. The camera was overall very impressive. It's definitely an upgrade over the NEX-5 but my guess is the A6000/A6300 would have been good as well.

The Olympus did face some difficulties in focussing in interior shots in AUTO mode. However P mode allows the focus point to be moved in a cinch. The Sony has a better superior auto mode.

If anyone is in the market for a good cheap mirrorless kit the OM-D E-M10 MK2 or 3 is the pick of the lot.

However if you are looking at something more than a kit lens then you have 2 choices.

1. A6300 (A6000 if you're ok with the very old body) with the new 18-135 lens will be around $1500
2. OM-D E-M10 MK2 or 3 with the 12-40mm Olympus Pro lens. Again ~$1500.

Both the above you can also add a 50mm F1.8 or 45mm F1.8 prime lens later on.

Sony also has a ZEISS 16-70mm but the reviews of that lens are split down the middle. While the lens seems to be very good it depends on luck whether you get a good piece or not. 2/3 lens seems to have issues with sharpness in image and people are returning the lens.
Old 11th February 2018, 16:30   #1983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
After some research and speaking to Samurai who has a OM-D, I picked up a Olympus OM-D E-M10 MKII. ... ... ...
It looks sweet, especially to one who has an OM2 in the cupboard! I don't really know why I plumped straight for Sony, but hey, bed made, so now laying in it!

The grip looks a bit odd. But I am sure that you would not have purchased without being entirely happy with the ergonomics.

I have no experience with real cameras since that OM2, but I would venture that no, the Sony 16-50 kit lens is not good in low light. In fat, I am not very satisfied with its image quality at all. I bought the two-lens kit, and for those who don't mind starting at 55, the 55-210 is much better.

I will shortly be adding the Sony 50mm f1.8 to my collection.
Old 11th February 2018, 16:50   #1984
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got a great deal on the E-M10 MKII from Singapore and a colleague brought it down just before the Expo.
If anyone is in the market for a good cheap mirrorless kit the OM-D E-M10 MK2 or 3 is the pick of the lot.
Thanks for the feedback Viddy, E-M10 MK II / III seem VFM.

Quote:
2. OM-D E-M10 MK2 or 3 with the 12-40mm Olympus Pro lens. Again ~$1500.
Did you mean the E-M5 actually ? Asking since E-M10 with the lens kit is around $550 (USD).

Last edited by NPV : 11th February 2018 at 16:52.
Old 11th February 2018, 16:56   #1985
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It looks sweet, especially to one who has an OM2 in the cupboard! I don't really know why I plumped straight for Sony, but hey, bed made, so now laying in it!

The grip looks a bit odd. But I am sure that you would not have purchased without being entirely happy with the ergonomics.
The grip is extra accessory. I bought that as well as the stock grip isn't very supportive. The Sony grips are way better. The Olympus needed an external one.

Quote:
I have no experience with real cameras since that OM2, but I would venture that no, the Sony 16-50 kit lens is not good in low light. In fat, I am not very satisfied with its image quality at all. I bought the two-lens kit, and for those who don't mind starting at 55, the 55-210 is much better.
There's a new 18-135 launched last month now. Looks better than 16-50mm.

Quote:
I will shortly be adding the Sony 50mm f1.8 to my collection.
Excellent choice but be careful when buying there are 2 50mm primes. One is for full frame and other for APS-C. Ampere ended up getting the FF lens by mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Was that a typo ? Did you mean the E-M5 actually ? Asking since E-M10 with the lens kit is around $550 (USD).
Nopes. I am saying you can avoid the kit lens altogether. Instead of getting the 14-42 kit lens get just the body and the kickass 12-40 lens. The 12-40 PRO lens is pretty much the best lens out there for m4/3. So the body for $449 and 12-40mm for $799 is pretty much the perfect package.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th February 2018 at 17:00.
Old 11th February 2018, 17:37   #1986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The grip is extra accessory. I bought that as well as the stock grip isn't very supportive. The Sony grips are way better. The Olympus needed an external one.
I think there is an even bigger add-on grip for the a6nnn range!

Sure, the grip works for me, carrying or using. A wrist strap gives me the courage to keep a light touch
Quote:
It is probably better. In the meantime, the 18-105 f.4 is next on my shopping list after the prime. It won't get me in on a face at a carnatic concert, but I suspect I'll be more than happy with the crop if that is what I want, and I think that constant aperture will help. And the longer-reach kit lens will be in the bag.

excepting that the small kit lens gets this as close to being a pocket camera is it can be, I think that the 18-105 will suit almost all the pics I take... unless it is messing around macro and stuff, with is an entirely other story.
Quote:
Excellent choice but be careful when buying there are 2 50mm primes. One is for full frame and other for APS-C. Ampere ended up getting the FF lens by mistake!
I am already confused! Trying to get that one right.

From Fotocentre:

Sony E 50mm f/1.8 OSS Lens
E-Mount Lens/APS-C Format *this is the one I need* (right?)
Sony FE 50mm f/1.8
E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
Quote:
Nopes. I am saying you can avoid the kit lens altogether. Instead of getting the 14-42 kit lens get just the body and the kickass 12-40 lens. The 12-40 PRO lens is pretty much the best lens out there for m4/3. So the body for $449 and 12-40mm for $799 is pretty much the perfect package.
And Sony a6nnn buyers who know a bit more than I did can do much better choosing the lens[es] they want/need rather than taking the kit.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th February 2018 at 17:38.
Old 11th February 2018, 17:42   #1987
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sony E 50mm f/1.8 OSS Lens
E-Mount Lens/APS-C Format *this is the one I need* (right?)
Yes that's the one! The lens for APS-C is image stabilization whereas the full frame one doesn't. Strangely both are priced the same so it can get confusing.
Old 11th February 2018, 22:47   #1988
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would suggest the 18-105 F4 instead of the 18-135 variable aperture. Also apart from the 50mm prime, there is a very nice 35mm prime as well. Would suggest folks to decide between 35 and 50 depending on what they want. Both are equally good and the 35 is wider.
Old 11th February 2018, 23:02   #1989
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a 35mm f1.7 manual-everything Neewer. So, with a bit of hard work and no automation, I am covered for that focal length. It can certainly take decent pictures too, although I find a tendency to get underexposed dark ones. Even though they looked right in the viewfinder. Need to work on that one!

Technically, I also have a 50mm: the lens from my OM2! But... OSS and autofocus tempt.
Old 29th April 2018, 18:28   #1990
BHPian

I have a Sony NEX 5R Alpha series mirrorless camera that supports an interchangeable E mount lens

Need a zoom lens that would let me take close up of birds. My expectation is a close up shot of a bird that is at a distance of say 80 - 120 feet away.

Would like to seek help from the experts here as to what are my lens options ?

There is the Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens for Sony E-Mount ( 18k ) , are there any other lenses that are compatible ?

Also how important is "Image Stabilization" in a lens and how to check for compatibility ? Assuming I am shooting in the Auto modes.

Last edited by Fillmore : 29th April 2018 at 18:31.
Old 30th April 2018, 16:12   #1991
Distinguished - BHPian

Longer zooms do get rather pricey. Do we have people here doing bird photography with nex/a6n00? What do you guys use?

And, unless you have a really steady grip, or are always on a tripod, the longer the lens the more you need that stabilisation. Or, at least, the more of a blessing it is, even if you can get by without it.

Quote:
I have a 35mm f1.7 manual-everything Neewer
I now have a Sigma 30mm/f1.4, Sony e-mount, fully auto-focus-compatible, only no OSS (which is not such a big deal on a faster, shorter lens). The Neewer is redundant and I'm happier . But [re-]learning fully-manual is a good exercise.
Old 1st May 2018, 21:33   #1992
Senior - BHPian

I really don't wanna comment about mirrorless. But mirrorless and serious bird photos are like chalk and cheese. In terms of cost vs what you get.
Old 1st May 2018, 22:06   #1993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
There is the Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens for Sony E-Mount ( 18k ) , are there any other lenses that are compatible ?
This is indeed the longest lens available in Sony E-mount APS-C format, that too at F/6.3 aperture. In other words, Sony is sending you a clear message that Sony APS-C mirrorless is not for birding. For birding you need long & fast prime lenses. There is no such lens in this family.
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:50   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is indeed the longest lens available in Sony E-mount APS-C format, that too at F/6.3 aperture. In other words, Sony is sending you a clear message that Sony APS-C mirrorless is not for birding. For birding you need long & fast prime lenses. There is no such lens in this family.
Agree. In fact I did sample out the E 55-210mm lense at a Sony store.
Was not very impressed with the output. The image clarity etc was very good, however the net zoom in you get when compared to the kit lense is hardly 20% extra. (at least that was what I felt )

If we keep the comparison price point aside I assume this is also compatible with the Nex Mirrorless , please correct me if I am wrong. i.e. FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS

However the reviews were not very good.
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:09   #1995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
If we keep the comparison price point aside I assume this is also compatible with the Nex Mirrorless , please correct me if I am wrong. i.e. FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS

However the reviews were not very good.
While this lens will work with your camera, it is designed for full frame camera. That means you will be buying lot more bigger lens than you require. And it is F/5.6 at the longer end. Not fast enough, not long enough.

If you are into mirrorless, you have to give up both wildlife and birding. The smaller systems are not designed for it. They are great for landscapes, portraits, macros, events, etc.

Most Viewed