Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2018, 00:12   #2011
Senior - BHPian

Nice, practical article. Addresses quite a few factors. Of course, it depends on the use case and personal need. But worth a read.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...ble-choic.html
Old 26th June 2018, 22:33   #2012
BHPian

Mirrorless Dilemma: Sony A6000, Sony A6300, Olympus M10 Mk III

I am in the market for a DSLR camera. But, don't want to spend more than Rs 50K.
Currently, I own a Sony HX90V camera (Zeiss lens) with 30X Optical zoom. While, it is a fantastic camera with extremely compact body, it lacks in the manual controls. Also allure of larger sensor is making me consider DSLRs. Now I am not considering normal DSLRs due to sheer size (deserves a dedicated bag while travelling).

So, mirrorless it is.

I have looked at Sony A6000, Sony A6300, Olympus EM10 Mark III, Canon M50 and Fujifilm X-T20 and Panasonic - Lumix G85. Read countless reviews and watched Youtube.
Considering all parameters , I am now down to Sony A6000/A6300 or Olympus EM10 Mark III. I have an option of getting it from the US through my friend. Cost in US$ is as below

Sony A6000 (16-50mm Lens): $700
Sony A6300 (16-50mm Lens): $900
Olympus EM10 Mk III (14-42mm): $649 (can get 40-150mm for $100 more)

Sony A6000: 4 year old camera model with great autofocus. Doesn't have 4K.
Sony A6300: Newer model, has 4K. Even better autofocus , weather sealed body. Expensive
Olympus EM10: Most VFM, Micro Four thirds (smaller sensor than APSC), 4K, Nice styling

The VFM package of Olympus is really enticing (can get 2 kit lenses for the price of A6000). Though amazing autofocus and excellent image quality of Sony APSC sensor is tilting balance.

Has anybody used Olympus OMD-EM10 Mark III camera here? I need some inputs on Image Quality, AutoFocus and Low light performance of this camera.

This will help me decide!!

TIA

Last edited by dmplog : 26th June 2018 at 22:34. Reason: Added title, some text changes
Old 27th June 2018, 08:35   #2013
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

If size is your main concern, you should consider the size of lenses too. This is where micro-four-thirds (MFT) beats the APS-C and full frame mirror less systems, specifically for the telephoto lenses. I am a MFT user (EPL5 + 14-42mm + 40-150mm + 60mm macro prime) for the past four+ years and never had issues with portability. For the specific cameras that you have asked, maybe other users can chime in.

- Prasad
Old 27th June 2018, 22:07   #2014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I am in the market for a DSLR camera. But, don't want to spend more than Rs 50K.
What do you want to shoot?

Last edited by ampere : 29th June 2018 at 13:37. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 27th June 2018, 22:27   #2015
BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
What do you want to shoot?
Nature, people, landscape and buildings. Occasionally birds
Old 29th June 2018, 10:35   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
I was in exact same dilemma a few months back, after my Canon G1X M2 broke down. Was looking at same models. However I had to buy from India and ultimately purchased the A6000 as I could buy with single lens. The Olly was available here with only 2 lenses and more expensive.

Had read lot of reviews and the Olympus seems to be as good as the A6000. The choice of lenses in A6000 is also less and lenses are more expensive. However I did not need too many lenses. I got a Meike f/1.7 prime lens through a friend in China and only have the 16-50mm kit lens.

Overall very happy with the camera. Have done a trip with it but have to compare the pics with the Canon. Should be better though. The controls will need some getting used too but not so difficult. Canon was easier to operate but results in A6000 should be better. Don't have any complain with the camera.

I had posted on dpreview and was suggested to buy the Sony A6000. The Sony is tried and tested and most popular. Works as intended.

However, I was considering the Olympus Mark 2 so if you are able to get the Mark 3 at an even lower price, maybe it would be a better buy. Do check out YouTube reviews and ask on dpreview forum.

All the best for your purchase.

Last edited by jesrani : 29th June 2018 at 10:36. Reason: Spelling mistakes and some grammer
Old 29th June 2018, 10:50   #2017
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Has anybody used Olympus OMD-EM10 Mark III camera here? I need some inputs on Image Quality, AutoFocus and Low light performance of this camera.
I have used Olympus since 1993, their dSLRs since 2006 and their mirrorless since 2011. Unless you are a professional who needs to make large prints, the image quality is good enough. The AF and low light performance is also more than good enough for serious amateurs. You can look at my album here for the low light performance on my 2012 OMD EM5. The EM10 Mk3 is lot better than that.

Quote:
Birds are entirely different ballgame. You need to spend 5 times more or so, and go back to dSLR thread for your options. Rest can be done with Olympus mirroless.
Old 29th June 2018, 12:29   #2018
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mirrorless Dilemma: Sony A6000, Sony A6300, Olympus M10 Mk III

Quote:
I have not much experience with the EM 10, MK3. I have used it a few times on shows/demo’s.

I have the OMD E5, mk1 then upgraded to the mk2. I also have the PenF.
I am very pleased with the cameras. I have the two pro-zoom lenses too. (12-40 and 40-150).

Auto focus and low light performance is really good. Especially using the stabilisation you can get up to quite amazing hand held speed!.

Image quality is a function of many different things, camera (sensor) camera software, lens, post processing etc.

My real good images get printed for exhibition and so. A3 and A2 is no problem at all. I know one professional guy who shoots all his work on the PENF and he does mostly advertising work, so it ends up on huge posters/bill boards.

I have just passed my Licentiate assessment of the Royal Photography Society. All 10 images in my L-panel were taken with my E5 Mk2.

I like my Oly system. Very good camera and Zuiko Lenses, waterproof (including the pro lenses). I can take all the gear I need in one small rug sack.

Good luck,

Jeroen

Last edited by ampere : 29th June 2018 at 13:37. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 9th July 2018, 18:51   #2019
BHPian

Quote:

So, mirrorless it is.

Considering all parameters , I am now down to Sony A6000/A6300 or Olympus EM10 Mark III. I have an option of getting it from the US through my friend. Cost in US$ is as below

Sony A6000 (16-50mm Lens): $700
Sony A6300 (16-50mm Lens): $900
Olympus EM10 Mk III (14-42mm): $649 (can get 40-150mm for $100 more)

Quote:
Thanks @Jeroen, @Samurai, @jesrani and @pnredkar for your comments. They were certainly useful. I took the plunge and ordered Olympus OMD-EM10 Mark III with 14-42mm kit lens from the US. Also bought an extra battery. Will report my overall experience on getting my hands on it in the month of August.

I am planning to work with kit lens for now and then decide on additional lens(es) such as 40-150mm + 60mm macro prime at a later date.

Thanks once again - cheers!!
Old 20th July 2018, 14:15   #2020
BHPian

Quote:
This will help me decide!!

TIA
I was in the exact same situation since last few months and zeroed on Sony A6300. Just bit hesitant to move from Nikon to Sony, since have to re-learn all the controls again.
After much contemplation, I ordered Sony A6300 this weekend and bought it for 60k in amazon prime sale.
Still need to explore, but let's see how it goes.
One thing which put me off is that there is no external battery adaptor. You have to connect the charger to the camera which is not good according to me. Will have to buy the stand alone battery adaptor along with extra battery now.
Old 17th September 2018, 06:52   #2021
BHPian

Wow! No posts since July?? I know this is a auto forum but we've had quite a few people interested in photography as well and there has been quite a few announcements in the mirrorless world recently so lets break the silence and talk about them

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th September 2018 at 09:01. Reason: word spacing corrected
Old 17th September 2018, 14:06   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

I still have my OMD E5 MK2. No reason to change
Old 17th September 2018, 16:53   #2023
Distinguished - BHPian

Is anybody considering the new Nikon Z mirrorless system or the Canon EOS R?

Nikon caveat: I think they have a lot of potential but would advise people to wait a while for Nikon to iron out what I expect will be 'bugs' in the 1st generation of models.

The BIGGEST advantage with the Z or R mount models is the capability to use F mount (some restrictions apply with legacy lenses) or EF mount lenses with the purpose built adapter. That is in and of itself a major USP for Nikon and Canon.

Current DSLR owners like myself with full frame F mount lenses would find it easier to adopt mirrorless than say buying a whole new system from scratch. The same advantage applies to Canon's new R system.
Old 18th September 2018, 06:36   #2024
Senior - BHPian

My CanonM is almost 5 years old and the leather outer is showing signs of wear. Pics are really great but limited to family occasions, of late! This was one of the first out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-img_7075.jpg  

Old 26th September 2018, 09:37   #2025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Is anybody considering the new Nikon Z mirrorless system or the Canon EOS R?
Considered it, but opted for DSLR when upgrading. Buffer, AF and battery life not suitable for my use cases. Though would have been a great second body for non-wildlife.

Most Viewed