Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2018, 23:12   #2056
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Astonishing, Navin. Amazing pics. And I speak as one who does not get excited about aircraft --- I clicked on every one to see it enlarged
Old 6th October 2018, 00:14   #2057
Distinguished - BHPian

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Bit off topic: Little anorak fact on the Hercules in one of these shots. It is used as a support plane and it hauls all kind of stuff and staff for the Blue angels. The plane is known as Fat Albert. They also perform an air show. And it is very spectacular too. They throw it around as if it is a little Cessna.

Listen to the crew! Watch them float out of their seats as they aggressively push the nose down after a very steep climb from the runway. You can hear the speed numbers being called out, speed drops quickly, then the command Push over!

Last edited by Jeroen : 6th October 2018 at 00:16.
Old 6th October 2018, 21:50   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Astonishing, Navin. Amazing pics. And I speak as one who does not get excited about aircraft --- I clicked on every one to see it enlarged
Thank you Thad Happy you viewed them all. These are resized for posting but the originals are on my flickr. It was a treat to watch the Blue Angeles perform. The reason for posting the pics is just to show the AF performance of the camera. The lighting was a little tricky and the camera kind of under exposed a lot of shots but it was light and joy to use. I got a lot of keepers and the others were just user error. I would have done better if I could hear the commentary because otherwise these jets could come from any direction in high speed and surprise you.
Old 26th January 2019, 15:02   #2059
Team-BHP Support

Olympus has announced E-M1X, their biggest ever micro four third camera. This one looks so huge, I had to do size comparison. By volume, the it is 330% bigger than my E-M5mkII. I guess it will only attract professional photographers.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/oly...ew-in-progress

http://www.techtoyreviews.com/olympu...specifications

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-olympusem1xpriceinusa.jpgMirrorless or EVIL Cameras-olympusem1xspecifications.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 26th January 2019 at 15:13.
Old 27th January 2019, 11:35   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Olympus has announced E-M1X, their biggest ever micro four third camera. This one looks so huge, I had to do size comparison. By volume, the it is 330% bigger than my E-M5mkII. I guess it will only attract professional photographers.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/oly...ew-in-progress

http://www.techtoyreviews.com/olympu...specifications

Attachment 1841425Attachment 1841426
The specs are actually quite good and they have improved upon the IBIS as well. Supposedly you can click a 4 sec long high resolution shot while hand holding the camera!
However it is and will be limited by sensor size. I wonder how many takers are there in professional photography who will shell 3k bucks for a micro four thirds sensor with limited bokeh and subject separation.
My own OMD EM5 had its shutter stuck and there are no service centres around Bhuvaneshwar, so after keeping it for 4 months I finally dove into Fuji X systems. As a mirrorless system that too is an excellent alternative. Its surprising there don't seem to be many fuji owners around here.
Old 27th January 2019, 11:45   #2061
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish.uno View Post
However it is and will be limited by sensor size. I wonder how many takers are there in professional photography who will shell 3k bucks for a micro four thirds sensor with limited bokeh and subject separation.
It is not like they can change sensor size and lose compatibility with all their fantastic range of lenses. There are many professionals who are using E-M1 because of their compactness. I used to follow some of their blogs long ago.

Quote:
My own OMD EM5 had its shutter stuck and there are no service centres around Bhuvaneshwar, so after keeping it for 4 months I finally dove into Fuji X systems. As a mirrorless system that too is an excellent alternative. Its surprising there don't seem to be many fuji owners around here.
You just jumped into fire, to escape the frying pan. Fuji has even less support in India, compared to Olympus.

My E-M5 mkii is now 4 years old, still doing fine.
Old 27th January 2019, 12:13   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is not like they can change sensor size and lose compatibility with all their fantastic range of lenses. There are many professionals who are using E-M1 because of their compactness. I used to follow some of their blogs long ago.
Ofcourse but Olympus makes their lenses tailor made to the sensor size. Moreover, with Nikon and Canon making their entry into full frame mirrorless and Sony with its excellent lenses and AF performance, the benchmark is set truly high.

I love Olympus and prefer their build quality and general philosophy to other makes, but I honestly worry for their future.

Quote:
You just jumped into fire, to escape the frying pan. Fuji has even less support in India, compared to Olympus.

My E-M5 mkii is now 4 years old, still doing fine.
Sony full frame was out of question due to its pricey body and pricier lenses. Canon and Nikon didn't excite me. Fuji was the only alternative. Lets see how it goes and touchwood for your Olympus system. Good to see it doing fine. I am also inclined to keep my EM5 as a second body.

I actually bought into Olympus after reading your posts on this forum and its been a wonderful purchase for last 5 years. (Belated) thanks for that!
Old 27th January 2019, 12:41   #2063
Team-BHP Support

I still have the E-M5 from I bought in 2012. That's doing fine too.
Old 30th January 2019, 07:20   #2064
BHPian

Quote:

As a mirrorless system that too is an excellent alternative. Its surprising there don't seem to be many fuji owners around here.

What Fuji body/lenses do you use? I'm on the fence on picking up a X-T3 with the right set of lenses. Wish it had IBIS like the X-H1 though.

Quote:
Ofcourse but Olympus makes their lenses tailor made to the sensor size. Moreover, with Nikon and Canon making their entry into full frame mirrorless and Sony with its excellent lenses and AF performance, the benchmark is set truly high.

I love Olympus and prefer their build quality and general philosophy to other makes, but I honestly worry for their future.

Canon and Nikon didn't excite me.

I feel the same way about Olympus as you do. Really want the company to price the cameras right like it did with the E-M5 Mark II. The E-M1X even with some cool features doesn't feel attractive over what Sony mirrorless offers.

Sony's mirrorless cameras (A7RIII and A7III) are good alternatives for someone looking at a 5D4 or similar cameras. For anyone who already invested on Canon lenses the Sigma MC-11 adapter works really well with Sony FF bodies.
Old 30th January 2019, 16:48   #2065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
What Fuji body/lenses do you use? I'm on the fence on picking up a X-T3 with the right set of lenses. Wish it had IBIS like the X-H1 though.
IBIS is something I miss too and coming from Olympus that gets a little amplified. However that aside, the X-T3 is an excellent body. I use with with 16-55 f2.8 and 35mm f1.4. The 16-55 is a general purpose walk around lens and 35mm gets drawn out for evenings and low light situations.

Overall its an excellent system. You may also consider 18-55 as a value for money lens that is much cheaper, when bundled with body, and lighter as well.

Quote:
I feel the same way about Olympus as you do. Really want the company to price the cameras right like it did with the E-M5 Mark II. The E-M1X even with some cool features doesn't feel attractive over what Sony mirrorless offers.

Sony's mirrorless cameras (A7RIII and A7III) are good alternatives for someone looking at a 5D4 or similar cameras. For anyone who already invested on Canon lenses the Sigma MC-11 adapter works really well with Sony FF bodies.
EM1x is heavier, bigger and expensive. Thats enough of a reason for most non pros to not consider this body. Sony OTOH has really upped the game, very impressive bodies and AF performance. Someone who buys Sony FF cameras won't go wrong.

In my case, I have a minimum threshold that I want my pictures to attain. Once that threshold is attained I will go for the system that is more enjoyable to use. Olympus and Fuji fall in that category.
Just one thing no note here is Fuji is considerably more expensive than Olympus.

If you are planning to go for Fuji system XT3 is a great option.
Old 31st January 2019, 12:33   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Overall its an excellent system. You may also consider 18-55 as a value for money lens that is much cheaper, when bundled with body, and lighter as well.

In my case, I have a minimum threshold that I want my pictures to attain. Once that threshold is attained I will go for the system that is more enjoyable to use. Olympus and Fuji fall in that category.
Just one thing no note here is Fuji is considerably more expensive than Olympus.

If you are planning to go for Fuji system XT3 is a great option.
Thanks for your opinion Ashish. Planning to try the camera out this week at a local camera store. I kind of made an offer in Greentoe but it didn't get accepted at my price. Hopefully I'll get a deal soon.
Old 31st January 2019, 13:51   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Thanks for your opinion Ashish. Planning to try the camera out this week at a local camera store. I kind of made an offer in Greentoe but it didn't get accepted at my price. Hopefully I'll get a deal soon.
Great. Please do record your impressions of the camera here, in case you finally decide to go for it.
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:27   #2068
BHPian

For the folks who own a Sony, got myself an A6300. Trying to install the damn Time Lapse app via Play Memory, but every-time I go to the payment page, it just takes me to my Sony Network page and stays there. No option to confirm purchase. I already have a credit in my wallet as I have a PS account, but its just for some strange reason remains stuck on my Basic Information Page. Anyone else had this issue ? What a diabolical shambles this Play Memory thing is !
Old 3rd February 2019, 23:22   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
For the folks who own a Sony, got myself an A6300. Trying to install the damn Time Lapse app via Play Memory, but every-time I go to the payment page, it just takes me to my Sony Network page and stays there. No option to confirm purchase. I already have a credit in my wallet as I have a PS account, but its just for some strange reason remains stuck on my Basic Information Page. Anyone else had this issue ? What a diabolical shambles this Play Memory thing is !
You may have seen this video(its old) but sharing it anyway.. Looks like your best bet is to call Sony support. Some folks have had luck using the redeem gift card option instead of wallet, credit card or Paypal. Also try Chrome browser.

Last edited by navin_bhp : 3rd February 2019 at 23:33.
Old 3rd February 2019, 23:26   #2070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post

Or you could try this free app and then decide if you still want to pay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks