Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 20:45   #76
BHPian

Re: Notion Ink Adam

I am running beast rom now and it just blows away the stock ni rom!!
Engadget reviewed it with the stock rom. So I don't blame engadget for such a low score! I would have probably given them about 5/10 but not 3/10!!
But the adam on beast is just a completely different beast!!:-P:-D
Old 30th April 2011, 00:22   #77
BHPian

People have recorded a quadrant score of over 2800 with the beast ROM runing on the ADAM .

Well lets just say , its all ones perspective , someone may like it , someone may not . The guys at engadget have their view .

But for me ADAM is Thee Best . I would never buy an apple , i just hate their monopolistic attitude , not HTML crap .

and all the others are just copiers . The xoom is soo over priced that I'd rather buy an alienware laptop that buying a xoom .

The ADAM is just rightly priced , infact its pretty cheap for what they are offering .
Old 5th May 2011, 18:19   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hi Members,

Has anyone here got their Adam from NI? If yes, can you post your opinions and it's advantages/disadvantages?

Also, what is the price of the product/versions available, etc? I tried their website but looks like pricing and purchase details are not available and purchase is by invitation only.

Are they so niche a product? Is the Adam truly superior to the Apple iPad 2?

Thanks for your responses.
aK
Old 5th May 2011, 19:37   #79
BHPian

@k_Ajay : Pricing :
  • LCD screen,WiFi — $375
  • LCD screen, WiFi, 3G — $425
  • Pixel Qi Screen, WiFi –$499
  • Pixel Qi Screen, WiFi, 3G — $549
Vs Ipad 2 : Well I havent used the Ipad 2 so I would know what its capable of , but I dont like the monopolistic games of apple . They arevery restrictive in terms of what people use on their machines .

Android gives you a lot of freedom . Adam is one of the most powerful android tablet available today . Please do not expect a picture perfect after sales support and stuff because they are a startup but they are doing pretty well for being a start up . Plus the idealogy behind Adam is very freesh , though not very refined but you have so many alternate android variants available that you can install any one , whichever suits u the best.

If you are one of thos who likes to sample things before you buy I would suggest , try the Acer Iconia A100 or the acer iconia windows 7 tablet that was launched today in India . I guess they are pliced pretty close
Old 5th May 2011, 19:53   #80
BHPian

@k_ajay,

If you are looking great out of the box experience and are primarily looking for your tablet as an entertainment device then it's the iPad2 for you.
Whereas the Adam isn't really great out of the box. But once you start exploring it and root it, you will see it's true potential. The iPad does good as an entertainment device while adam can do good both as an entertainment device and being your laptop replacement.
Besides no one knows when the next orders are going to happen!

Also as gautam said the iconia is a really good device also the Asus transformer is really good.

Meanwhile I am really enjoying my adam!! Thanks to shapath!!
Old 6th May 2011, 12:37   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
@k_Ajay : Pricing :
  • LCD screen,WiFi — $375
  • LCD screen, WiFi, 3G — $425
  • Pixel Qi Screen, WiFi –$499
  • Pixel Qi Screen, WiFi, 3G — $549
Vs Ipad 2 : Well I havent used the Ipad 2 so I would know what its capable of , but I dont like the monopolistic games of apple . They are very restrictive in terms of what people use on their machines .

Android gives you a lot of freedom . Adam is one of the most powerful android tablet available today . Please do not expect a picture perfect after sales support and stuff because they are a startup but they are doing pretty well for being a start up . Plus the idealogy behind Adam is very freesh , though not very refined but you have so many alternate android variants available that you can install any one , whichever suits u the best.

If you are one of thos who likes to sample things before you buy I would suggest , try the Acer Iconia A100 or the acer iconia windows 7 tablet that was launched today in India . I guess they are pliced pretty close
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
@k_ajay,

If you are looking great out of the box experience and are primarily looking for your tablet as an entertainment device then it's the iPad2 for you.
Whereas the Adam isn't really great out of the box. But once you start exploring it and root it, you will see it's true potential. The iPad does good as an entertainment device while adam can do good both as an entertainment device and being your laptop replacement.
Besides no one knows when the next orders are going to happen!

Also as gautam said the iconia is a really good device also the Asus transformer is really good.

Meanwhile I am really enjoying my adam!! Thanks to shapath!!
Hi Gautam, Aman,

Thanks for sharing the information. The prices are very tempting and far economical, when compared to iPad. I'm also following NotionInk's blog and their products seems far more interesting and promising.

I'm not too keen on any other device other than iPad or Adam, and I'm willing to wait for Adam. Not because it's almost half priced compared to iPad, but it seems genuinely possible to be a better convergence device.

@ Aman: What do you mean by root it? I am not a geek or technical whiz, but I love technology and love to embrace purposeful gadgets. I don't know how to change apps or modify them, do coding, etc, etc, but I am more than willing to buy the Adam as compared to iPad.

Truth be told, I visited Croma on the way back to home last evening. I checked out the iPad 2 but in all honesty, I wasn't blown away or amazed. So I'm more than willing to wait for Adam. I just hope that if and when I buy it, it truly stands out as a better device.

Thanks again; Cheers.
ajay K
Old 6th May 2011, 12:53   #82
BHPian

@k_ajay

The stock software for adam by notionink is not really good. Rooting basically means loading up a different version than the stock software.
On normal android devices it means jailbreaking it and it involves some work. But notion ink have lest adam completly open. Which means that we have to just get hold of a custom rom and just install it! The process is really simple, even first timers can do it with relative ease! Also according to the latest blog post bt Rohan a few minutes back says that the next round of orders are going to start soon!! :-)
I am currently using Beast rom and it's really great!!
aman9393 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 13:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
@k_ajay

The stock software for adam by notionink is not really good. Rooting basically means loading up a different version than the stock software.
On normal android devices it means jailbreaking it and it involves some work. But notion ink have lest adam completly open. Which means that we have to just get hold of a custom rom and just install it! The process is really simple, even first timers can do it with relative ease! Also according to the latest blog post bt Rohan a few minutes back says that the next round of orders are going to start soon!! :-)
I am currently using Beast rom and it's really great!!
Hi Aman,

Thanks again for your post. I just saw the latest post by Rohan on the blog.

Pardon my ignorance, but does installing a custom rom means voiding the hardware warranty? Is it advisable for a non-tech guy to perform such tweaks/hacks, as such an individual will not usually know what to do, in the event of the tweak/jailbreak going wrong?

Sorry for the Qs. Just that I have to be sure I understand what the pre-reqs of owning the device are. And what is a Beast rom? Where do we get it from? How does it make the experience differ from the regular device?

Thanks for your help Aman.

regards,
aK
Old 6th May 2011, 13:37   #84
BHPian

Notion Ink has been really supportive of the hacking community. Though their warranty document doesn't state so, they have till now have never cancelled a waranty claim because the device was not on their stock rom!!
There are a couple of roms available for adam like edenx, utopia, perftweak etc. Beast is one of them. The beast is the best currently in my opinion. It also supports ntfs format for your external hard drives. Which means that there is no need to format your external drives to fat32 to make them work!! :-)
You can check out tablet roms or xda forum for more information about the various roms.

In fact NotionInk have taken the author of Perftweak (StephenH or djstevie on xda forums) on their developer team for honeycomb!! Also on tablet roms, a dev by the name of MrGuy has managed to run honeycomb on adam with help of StephenH! Honeycomb is google's os for tablets which they not yet made openly available.

EDIT: Rohan had also said that he will try to make rooting not a reason to terminate warranty in their warranty document too!!

Last edited by aman9393 : 6th May 2011 at 13:42.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:53   #85
Senior - BHPian

Aman, thanks again for your informative posts.

I'll try and reads the forums you'd mentioned [xda, tabletroms] and get to understand the Rom differences and what it means. I hope in its future iterations and revisions, NI make Adam more robust and stronger, so that all users would stick to it [better for non-techies and non-developers].

I will surely be coming back to take your assistance when I get the Adam. This may change, but for now, I have decided to purchase an Adam for myself.

I'm going to keep an eye on the blog and forums to keep track..

Cheers
aK
Old 7th May 2011, 16:26   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Aman, thanks again for your informative posts.

I'll try and reads the forums you'd mentioned [xda, tabletroms] and get to understand the Rom differences and what it means. I hope in its future iterations and revisions, NI make Adam more robust and stronger, so that all users would stick to it [better for non-techies and non-developers].

I will surely be coming back to take your assistance when I get the Adam. This may change, but for now, I have decided to purchase an Adam for myself.

I'm going to keep an eye on the blog and forums to keep track..

Cheers
aK

If you are pre ordering adam then keep your eye on the offical Notion Ink forum too.

They have announced there that PO3 is going to start soon!! Link
aman9393 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 12:33   #87
BHPian

from their latest posts these guys don't want to sell in India. Wonder why they don't tie up with Flipkart types to have one online retail channel in India.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 08:57   #88
BHPian

I had got an invite from notionink for ordering this. Could you guys help me in my decision by providing inputs based on your usage. Say compared to ipad2 how does it fare for multimedia, web browsing games. I see subjective words like it blows ipad away and like but a detailed inputs would be great. How is the screen. For example ,heard the viewing angles are bad and the colors are not accurate. Has this been improved by chance.

Last edited by ramkris : 31st May 2011 at 08:58.
Old 31st May 2011, 16:50   #89
Senior - BHPian

keep in mind that an adam is an adam onlyy if you go for the pixel qi. period
if not the pixel qi, then please go in for an acer eepad or an asus transformer or a galaxy tab 10.1
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 21:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Good point frank - I just saw the yum pricing today and was wondering whether the LCD makes sense vs the ipad2 given its pricing? They've now confirmed Honeycomb availability as well by end june.

Any other users?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks