Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2011, 15:26   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Notion Ink Adam

FYI - Even if you sign up TODAY for the pre-order, you'll still receive an invite and be able to order it in this round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Good point frank - I just saw the yum pricing today and was wondering whether the LCD makes sense vs the ipad2 given its pricing?
Advantages of Adam :
- Pixel-Qi
- 2x Full size USB ports + 1 Fullsize HDMI

Negative :
1024 x 600 screen (as opposed to 1280x800 of most of the Tegra2 running competition)

Everything else is roughly on par with competition.

However now, there are a few other Tabs that also offer full size USB ports (eg. Acer Iconia - 1 port, though apparently its screen isnt great).

So basically the main USP of the Adam is the Pixel-Qi screen.

Fully-loaded with Pixel-Qi works out a little more expensive than i would have liked (Rs 30k).
I'm going back and forth on whether i should order it too

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st June 2011 at 15:29.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 16:12   #92
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan,

This is where I stop to think.

They don't have a warranty beyond the 1st year - even in India, they (understandably) have a service center only in Bengaluru. The Pixel Qi (wifi only) is expensive (costlier than iPad2 from US + Apple care).

Then again, they will deliver before the Honeycomb update is out (27th). i.e an update is mandatory.

I need it primarily for my wife - so it has to be a stable machine - no involvement from my side. As it stands, I'm not 100% convinced whether the extra money will be worth it.

Anyone in India who has practically compared the Pixel Qi with the iPad2 screen? The ability to read in sunlight is nice but not my regular use case.
Old 1st June 2011, 19:45   #93
BHPian

@phaliyman

If you are taking it for your wife then I recommend the ipad2 just because of its ease of use.

@rehaan

If you are going to use adam outside considerabl only then consider the pixel qi. Else the lcd is better. I find the lcd quality to be acceptable. Unless you start comparing its screen with others you will find its quality good enough. Only it's viewing angle is not good when viewed from bottom.
Honeycomb's also coming to it by june end. I find it better than other devices because of NIs support for hackers. They won't decline your warranty if you have got a custom rom on it! Also the dev support is really good.

EDIT: If you are getting adam then you have got to root it to discover its true potential! Although Eden 1.5 released on monday is a huge improvement over the original eden.

Last edited by aman9393 : 1st June 2011 at 19:49.
Old 4th June 2011, 00:28   #94
Senior - BHPian

Couple of questions to the adam users

1. Can we connect external hdd using the usb port? I am thinking on the lines of copying photos from the SD card and moving them to the hdd.

2. What is the battery backup?

I need to choose b/w the adam and ipad2 as a replacement for laptops for travel. My primary usage would be checking email and backing up photos.
Also, how much time do you guys think would it take to reach me if I order in a week's time? I already have the invite.
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:47   #95
BANNED

Re: Notion Ink Adam...Available

Got one by my brother . But he is getting an offer for slightly used ipad2 from colleague . so he wants to give Adam. As per Team Bhp rules, i was told -New unopened gadgets cant be posted in classifieds. If some one is interested..pl mail me for more info as i prefer to adhere bhp rules and donot want to place sale details here. This is just to inform that Adam 3G LCD Brand new unopened box is available and one can get it in about 1 to 2 days courier unlike waiting for delivery from china. Those who wants to have a look at this unopened new adam are welcome at chennai.

Note : Still if mods consider this as any sort of unintended infraction you can remove this . I repeat- iam only sharing the info with genuine reason.

Last edited by shapath : 3rd July 2011 at 18:10.
Old 3rd July 2011, 22:53   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

1. Can we connect external hdd using the usb port? I am thinking on the lines of copying photos from the SD card and moving them to the hdd.

I need to choose b/w the adam and ipad2 as a replacement for laptops for travel. My primary usage would be checking email and backing up photos.
Also, how much time do you guys think would it take to reach me if I order in a week's time? I already have the invite.

I would really suggest waiting for samsung galaxy tab 2 or get the samsung galaxy s2 with a 32 GB card and that should server the purpose of accessing email and storing a few photos . The adam has minimal internal memory expandable using sd card but I wouldnt really recommend it .
Old 4th July 2011, 17:07   #97
BHPian

Boy, was I glad to let go of my adam 3g..!! I was amongst the first to book, and also to receive the adam. But my optimism turned to despair, what with no updates, no response from NI customer support and overall the product very much looked unfinished in many areas and lacked the finesse quite needed in this segment. Happy with my SGS2 for now

I would say a good opportunity lost for Notion Ink.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 12:14   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

1. You can connect external usb drives/hdd.
2. On my Notion Ink 3G+WiFi model, after 10-15 charge cycles used to get around 3hours (max).

Most Viewed