Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 12:25   #16
BHPian

Alright guys,

Check this site out iCall - Free Phone Calls. Absolutely free calls to US and Canada, and yes this is to any number (Landline or the cell phone). Didn't believe it until I tried it, works good for me. . Hope this helps.
Old 7th October 2008, 14:21   #17
aZa
Senior - BHPian

its there a possible of having a multi user video conference on skype ?

Skype supports video chat but as soon as u go into conference the video stops.
Old 7th October 2008, 16:11   #18
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Yup it stops, i don't think there is a way to keep the video running with 3 or more people.
Old 6th February 2011, 15:03   #19
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: VoIP Calling Software & Websites (eg. skype, magicjack etc)

Downloaded Skype recently. Whenever i click on it, i get a Fatal Error message which says, " Failed to get proc address for D3DPERF_SetOptions (d3d9.dll) ".
Old 6th June 2011, 20:49   #20
BHPian

I came across this app from Tango (available for Android and iOS). It works fantastically for me. Has both Voice and Video features, and is currently totally free. I tried a call from my 3G connected iPhone-4 to a android-on-WiFi at home, and the quality was pretty good.

The site claims that it consumes 2GB of data for 450 mins, which translates to something like 77kBps and is on the higher side. I dont know how to control the video quality to optimise this.

I like their approach of associating the user id to your phone number, so that you dont have to remember each user's name, their phone numbers, their id and so on.

Compared to Skype (no Video for mobile-to-mobile calls) and Yahoo Messenger (quality gets choppy quite a lot of times + starting ad), I found the experience of using Tango quite refreshing.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

For people using iphone you should try this app caalled Viber. Free download and call using 3g. Works well, sound feels lil bit weird at first but works as long as your network is good.
Old 14th September 2011, 01:15   #22
BHPian

Problem when using Skype

Hi,

I have a problem when using video / voice chat with skype on my laptop. I connect to the internet via a wireless router. When on a skype call, the connection suddenly drops, and I get disconnected from the internet. I then have to reconnect to the wireless network. I was under the impression that this was probably because of the crappy old router that I was using, so I've now invested in a new dual band router - ASUS RT-N56U, but I'm facing the exact same problem now - even on the 5ghz network.

I don't know if this is a problem with the router, or if has something to do with my laptop? Has anybody else faced a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 14th September 2011, 10:41   #23
BHPian

Re: Problem when using Skype

Do you face this issue only with Skype? Did you try using other services like yahoo voice/video calls or google talk?

If all others work fine, then it might be issue with the Skype installation. Maybe try from another PC/laptop. I dont see any possibility of issues with your network infrastructure.

I guess you should find out what all works, and figure out the root cause of this issue. I have used Skype voice calls with even GPRS connection without issues. So, your network appears to be ok. Please post the results of your investigations!

Good luck!
Old 14th September 2011, 11:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Can you connect laptop with LAN cable (instead of WiFi) for couple of days?

If these solves the problem then issue with either the router (that you have already replaced) or WiFi chipset or driver in laptop.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:23   #25
BHPian

Alternatively you can try disabling any firewall and check. Windows as well as any firewall on the wifi router.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:39   #26
BHPian

I have faced similar issue when the wifi signal is weak. If I am on a call and move on to a area where wifi signal is weak, the wifi connection is lost and the laptop never reconnects to the wifi router even if I place it next to the router. I have to restart the router to reconnect wifi.

Do you have to restart the wifi router to reconnect? If yes placing the router such that the signal does not drop is one of the solutions.

(laptop - dell precision - m6500, adsl modem+router huawei - wa1003).
Old 14th September 2011, 14:23   #27
BHPian

You haven't mentioned your OS on your laptop
What version of skype are you running ? is it the latest ?
Check your router settings ? is it on default settings ?
Old 14th September 2011, 16:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
Do you face this issue only with Skype? Did you try using other services like yahoo voice/video calls or google talk?

If all others work fine, then it might be issue with the Skype installation. Maybe try from another PC/laptop. I dont see any possibility of issues with your network infrastructure.

I guess you should find out what all works, and figure out the root cause of this issue. I have used Skype voice calls with even GPRS connection without issues. So, your network appears to be ok. Please post the results of your investigations!

Good luck!
I actually did face an issue with the justvoip software. I used it to make a phone call, and the same problem occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Can you connect laptop with LAN cable (instead of WiFi) for couple of days?

If these solves the problem then issue with either the router (that you have already replaced) or WiFi chipset or driver in laptop.
I'll give this a shot and let you know how it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Alternatively you can try disabling any firewall and check. Windows as well as any firewall on the wifi router.
Thanks dre@ms. I'll try this out as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
I have faced similar issue when the wifi signal is weak. If I am on a call and move on to a area where wifi signal is weak, the wifi connection is lost and the laptop never reconnects to the wifi router even if I place it next to the router. I have to restart the router to reconnect wifi.

Do you have to restart the wifi router to reconnect? If yes placing the router such that the signal does not drop is one of the solutions.

(laptop - dell precision - m6500, adsl modem+router huawei - wa1003).
Nope. I live in an apartment and wifi signal is not a problem. Even after the connection drops, I've never had to restart the router. It starts working again after maybe a minutes or so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
You haven't mentioned your OS on your laptop
What version of skype are you running ? is it the latest ?
Check your router settings ? is it on default settings ?
Sorry, I forgot to mention the OS. I'm running windows 7 enterprise 32 bit. 5.5.0.113. The router is running on defaults settings!
Old 19th October 2011, 17:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
Hi,

I have a problem when using video / voice chat with skype on my laptop. I connect to the internet via a wireless router. When on a skype call, the connection suddenly drops, and I get disconnected from the internet. I then have to reconnect to the wireless network. I was under the impression that this was probably because of the crappy old router that I was using, so I've now invested in a new dual band router - ASUS RT-N56U, but I'm facing the exact same problem now - even on the 5ghz network.

I don't know if this is a problem with the router, or if has something to do with my laptop? Has anybody else faced a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Hi,

Please let me know you feedback about RT-N56U in terms of signal strength and performance. Are you doing any media streaming, torrent download using this? If yes, please let me know the feedback on that also. I am planning to buy this router in India.

For the problem you are facing, have you updated the firmware or using it out of box? The out of box firmware in similar routers from Asus are known to awful and i ready many user reviews that issues are solved once some open source firmware is updated.

Regards
Deva
Old 19th October 2011, 17:23   #30
BHPian

There is another application called nymgo and call rates are cheap - like 60 paise per minute if you are calling to india. You can also add it to SIP in your mobile and use WiFi connections to call from your mobile as a normal voice call(internet call) I saved a lot of money using this whenever I was travelling abroad.Works from PC too.

Most Viewed