Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2011, 19:19   #1
BHPian

Symbian S60 3rd Edition: Tips, Tricks and Apps

Hi Guys,

There are threads which discuss about iphone, android, bada etc., OS related tips, tricks and apps on this forum, but haven't seen anything related to Symbian OS. There are many phones in today's market which are running on this OS (Nokia E Series, N series etc). Lets help ourself in introducing new tips, tricks and apps for the above said phones.

My first contribution:

I didn't get a Call recorded with my E72 and I wanted a recorder without producing the beeps and I found one and its free.

VoxTrack
Old 25th January 2011, 20:53   #2
BHPian

Re: Symbian S60 3rd Edition: Tips, Tricks and Apps

Thats a great idea .Here is my contribution

Few days back i was searching for a webcam , I came to know that we can use our phones as webcam when my 11 yr old nephew and his friend connected their Karbon mobile to Pc and did a video chat with me on skype !! I started searching for a similar application for Nokia E63 and found this application called Epoc Lite

Here is the link Kinoni - EpocCam

I have tested this myself on my phone. Though the quality is not great as a actual webcam but still can be useful at times when you dont have a webcam nearby.
Old 28th January 2011, 23:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread for an OS on its deathbed!!!

Anyways, Apps I have used so far --

1. Opera Mini 5.1 Beta -- Much better than the retarded stock browser
2. Facebook chat -- Not really intuitive or user-friendly but just about manages to do the job
3. You Tube app -- Used very very briefly, looked/worked alright.
4. Ovi Maps -- Not as good as Google maps. Different locality names on Google and Ovi maps. Navigation was good but is battery hungry. Not to be used without a car charger.
5. Flashlight Extreme -- name says it all
6. Banner touch -- Turns the phone into a LED banner, like you have on stock exchanges where the prices keep scrolling
7. Qik -- record, share videos - live. Instantly post to Facebook, YouTube etc. EDGE was a downer here. Pathetic speeds. Should be alright on 3g.
8. Sticky notes app -- just like stick-on notes, awesome app to have. Very convenient.
9. Google maps -- works great, has options to either use the gps chip or use the cell tower triangulation to determine location
10. Gmail -- Nice again, cannot attach files such as pics to your mails though. For that you need to configure gmail through the default email app
11. Scribble away: MS Paint on your nokia. Quite a few options!
12. Blacklist Mobile Lite: to ward off unwanted calls. only 12 numbers in the trial version. Worked as per its mood.
13. IBN Live -- Live news feed and you can watch TV too, CNN IBN, IBN7, IBN marathi
14. Flip Font -- changes the default font of your device. Trial version - you can select between only 3 themes. Can be restored back.
15. Mobiola web cam -- Turns your phone into a web cam, can be connected via bluetooth. Worked great, used a long time ago.

Some of the apps I have listed are NOT downloaded from Ovi Store. You can find them easily with the help of Google though.
Thats all for now, am sure I have used a lot many more in the last 1.5 yrs, will try to dig up and share!

EDIT: oh and by the way, the voice recorder voxTrack is a paid app, some 1000INR. @2500cc: How did you manage to get it working mate, for free?

Last edited by Dry Ice : 28th January 2011 at 23:44. Reason: adding query
Old 1st February 2011, 07:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

A few more which I have tried.

1. 2010 twenty twenty -- a game actually. Rather easy to play and enjoyable. You will only be able to bat though, no bowling.

2. Moneycontrol.com -- gives live stock market info. Very good, you can get detailed info just in a few taps.

3. Hangman -- the popular game, recreated in a digital format. Time pass.

4. Facebook -- for accessing your fb acc without having to login through browser. Renders quite fast, but is not consistent. Functionality wise its quite good. You can take pictures right from the app and then upload.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 1st February 2011 at 07:43.
Old 2nd November 2014, 11:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up this old thread -

I have a 6 year old E51 (running on S60) which served us well till now. Can you imagine using the same old phone for ~6 yrs? Battery once replaced, its side button plastics are gone, and recently mic started showing problems.

Replaced it with a Moto E; but I dont want to dump this phone.

Two Ideas I have to extend its life...

1. Use it as an Internet radio. We play 2 online radios very frequently
a. HIT 96.7 fm Dubai
b. Radio Mango ae
Since these are flash based secure streams, I am not able configure them in my phone. Tried Opera, tune.fm, radio central, Mundu radio, in built internet radio etc, but no luck. Any idea if I can get these 2 stations stream in my E51?

2. Use as a dash cam in my car.
No issues so far except the 1hr video recording limit in the camera app. Is there a way to bypass this limitation or a better app?

Thanks a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks