Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2011, 15:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: India dumpyard for Apple !!

Solution: Galaxy Tab!

Yes, I agree that Apple treats India as a dumpyard. I first bought a 3G here from Airtel, then sold it off and bought a 3GS in US for much less.

On the other hand, US is a good market for apps. Here on the other hand, most people are not willing to pay Rs.45 for a good app that they will enjoy for a long time! The other day I was having a conversation at work about apps, and I mentioned that I had so far spent close to 500 rupees on apps. People around me started laughing and ridiculing as if I had done something incredibly stupid. Turns out everyone uses Install0us even for the $1 apps.
Old 31st January 2011, 22:13   #32
BANNED

Anyway, in the coming months Android tablets is going to eat all the iPads for lunch & dinner, so we don't need to worry about the treatment lemted out by Apple!
Old 31st January 2011, 22:23   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I agree to the point of discussion upto some extent.

I am a crazy fan of Apple the company and its mind blowing products.

I have an iPhone, iPod Touch 3G and a iPod shuffle 1G. All these products are just out of this world.

What I would say is, YES we do get these products later than US, UK or some other markets. For me, it doesn't matter really. As long as I get all the guarantee, warranty I don't care whether US has moved ahead one step already. Why compare?

But I do agree with the step-brotherly treatment of Apple when it comes to iTunes Store. If I have to download a movie from the iTunes Movie store, I simply CAN NOT. Why??? Because I am an Indian. I had got so damn pissed off with this that I had posted this question strongly on the Apple official forum. One stupid A** replied saying that India is corrupt and there is too much piracy, so Apple doesn't allow Indian users to download Movies, Music or such stuff. Isn't this unacceptable??

However, this restriction is so illogical. If I go to US and change my home address, I can start downloading anything I want. I anyway get billed on my INDIAN credit card. So just changing the location stops piracy is a pathetic logic I would say.

Anyways, I am OK with this problem of iTunes, since I have found a way to get movies on my iPod Touch the way I want them.

But, Apple still ROCKS! Big Time!!!
Do you see the irony in what you just posted?
Old 31st January 2011, 22:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
But I do agree with the step-brotherly treatment of Apple when it comes to iTunes Store. If I have to download a movie from the iTunes Movie store, I simply CAN NOT. Why??? Because I am an Indian. I had got so damn pissed off with this that I had posted this question strongly on the Apple official forum. One stupid A** replied saying that India is corrupt and there is too much piracy, so Apple doesn't allow Indian users to download Movies, Music or such stuff. Isn't this unacceptable??
Its got nothing to do with Apple. This is a decision made by Music Industry in India and Distributors of foreign content in India.

Because of piracy concerns they have priced it way too high.

AFAIK, In India, only Nokia sells music online.
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:30   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm a HUGE apple fan(Macbook pro + iphone 4) but this is just rubbish!

They did this last year as well with respect to the 3GS. They released the 3GS a few weeks before launching the iPhone 4. They really are treating India as a dumping ground. We should boycott their official products to make them take us seriously.
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:40   #36
Team-BHP Support

+1 ^^ What Apple does not realize is the number of unofficial purchase that happen for their latest product in India. If they tap into this and treat India launches at par with other countries, they can make good business sense.

I think its the marketing guys who needs to be blamed, who cant convince the potential of such an emerging market
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Its got nothing to do with Apple. This is a decision made by Music Industry in India and Distributors of foreign content in India.

Because of piracy concerns they have priced it way too high.

AFAIK, In India, only Nokia sells music online.
Its not about price buddy. Its not possible at all. I am ready to pay the price in $ for a good movie or music album. But, I should be allowed if I can afford.
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

You can buy music online from Nokia music store:

E.g. : Marathi

Nokia had to pay though the nose to get this license.

With less than .5 mil devices in India, it does not make commercial sense for apple to pay that kind of money to PPL et. el.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
+1 ^^ What Apple does not realize is the number of unofficial purchase that happen for their latest product in India. If they tap into this and treat India launches at par with other countries, they can make good business sense.
Apple knows Exact number of devices in India. That includes both official + gray market or import devices. This is recordd as part of "phone home" of iOS. In a jail-broken device this can be disabled.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 2nd February 2011 at 19:59.
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

At the cost of offending few people here , typical iSheep thread.
Who cares for Apple anyway ? There are better products and OS out there.
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Define better.

For end user, device is only as good as the application. There is no mobile platform that has breadth of apps available for iOS.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101224/...nabling_speech

Other platforms like Nokia/ Android lag in this space. Google to Boost Staffing for Development of Mobile Apps - WSJ.com
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:27   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
They really are treating India as a dumping ground. We should boycott their official products to make them take us seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If they tap into this and treat India launches at par with other countries, they can make good business sense.
My +1 to this. Just go and buy something else. No point in hoping Apple makes our wishes come true. We have Android for that.
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

I was watching Gadget Guru a couple of hours back and they were showcasing the release of iPad in India. One rumor according to them regarding the late release of products by Apple was the non availability of 3g in India earlier. They were skeptical about this info and so am I, but lets wait and watch.
Old 3rd February 2011, 02:29   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
At the cost of offending few people here , typical iSheep thread.
Who cares for Apple anyway ? There are better products and OS out there.
Android is great . But Microsoft truly sucks and is evil , u know that. I still think Windows Phone 7 is behind the times. Whats wrong with being an iSheep. No one integrates products as good as Apple, and guess what, they work!
Old 3rd February 2011, 05:31   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Android is great . But Microsoft truly sucks and is evil , u know that. I still think Windows Phone 7 is behind the times. Whats wrong with being an iSheep. No one integrates products as good as Apple, and guess what, they work!
Is that the biggest compliment for apple products - that they work?
:-)

Except when they don't - i.e when you hold the lower left corner of the phone. When you want to change the battery & you can't because it's welded to the device.
Old 3rd February 2011, 05:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Except when they don't - i.e when you hold the lower left corner of the phone. When you want to change the battery & you can't because it's welded to the device.
Or the last time you handed your phone for a service/repair, they swapped its Philips screws with Pentalobe, and now you can't find the required screwdriver anywhere in your country.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks