Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:23   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Query On CCTV Camera And Installation

I am looking for some DIY stuff or at least know-how things and take a call whether I can do it myself or need someone's assistance.

Since me and wife goes for work, it has become very important that we have a remote monitoring in place for our kid at home till we return. (The baby sitter is posing some challenges in delivering her duties)

I have asked some people and the vague responses I received is that one can have a 4 camera setup (that is 4 cameras), which can be monitored from 2 android phones and can store files (for one week). The total estimation comes to something around 20K.

Now being a TBhpian, where we diligently perform PDIs before taking delivery, this sort of response is very difficult to digest.

I am therefore looking for guidance and inputs from your end, something in lines with below :-

1. Some basic understanding how the things work?
2. How technical are these for a layman to fix and install?
3. Do we have something to deal with camera angles and field of views ( cinemas suggests that they are of Fish Eye type lenses, Is it?)(Or is it the Bond in me guessing this )
4. What should be the typical points of installation for maximum coverage (considering a 2 BHK); any specific thumb rule?
5. What about Audio capturing and data transmission to hand held devices (basically remote monitoring)
6. Considering that the need of the device would mainly be when both of us are away, how best can the setup be performed. Do we have something like remote initiation for capturing?
7. Are these dependent on electricity? If Yes, can we have an inverter / UPS setup at home for continuous capture.
8. Though I have a broadband connection but being BSNL has its own pain points. Is it possible to have the data transmission via JioFi.
9. How much camera resolution is good to have to capture details?
10. Can the setup be made discrete?

Many more questions have been doing the rounds and it would be quite beneficial if someone can please take the efforts of educating me. I am sure a lot many would be benefited as well.

Thank you.
Old 2nd May 2019, 13:38   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I am looking for some DIY stuff or at least know-how things and take a call whether I can do it myself or need someone's assistance.

Many more questions have been doing the rounds and it would be quite beneficial if someone can please take the efforts of educating me. I am sure a lot many would be benefited as well.

Thank you.
If not being discrete is not a deal breaker, this seems like the easiest option. Super easy to setup

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th June 2019 at 01:35. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small screen / mobile users. Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:33   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post

1. Some basic understanding how the things work?
2. How technical are these for a layman to fix and install?
3. Do we have something to deal with camera angles and field of views ( cinemas suggests that they are of Fish Eye type lenses, Is it?)(Or is it the Bond in me guessing this )
4. What should be the typical points of installation for maximum coverage (considering a 2 BHK); any specific thumb rule?
5. What about Audio capturing and data transmission to hand held devices (basically remote monitoring)
6. Considering that the need of the device would mainly be when both of us are away, how best can the setup be performed. Do we have something like remote initiation for capturing?
7. Are these dependent on electricity? If Yes, can we have an inverter / UPS setup at home for continuous capture.
8. Though I have a broadband connection but being BSNL has its own pain points. Is it possible to have the data transmission via JioFi.
9. How much camera resolution is good to have to capture details?
10. Can the setup be made discrete?

Thank you.
1. It is a simple set up. A camera is hooked to a control unit/DVR which records the video/audio when triggered by a motion. The DVR is connected to the net and you get to watch the proceedings from your mobile.
2. If you are comfortable drawing the wiring for some electrical appliance , yes - it is doable for any good DIYer.
3.Absolutely. The surveillance camera has a wide angle but not a fish eye wide angle. It comes equipped with IR LEDs which turn on when the light level goes down below a threshold. The camera has to be fixed at a height but at the same time it should show a face at normal angle.

Outdoor cameras should be outdoor type with protective enclosures.

4. Ask yourself this question: What do you want to protect ? What do you want to monitor ? What is the area this protection zone covers ? You need to position the camera in such a way that you can see the 'action' and not someone's posterior. I read somewhere that a celebrity's child was kidnapped right under the camera surveillance as all they could see was someone who wore a purdha. The camera captured only the back. The kidnapper knew the position of the camera and so walked backwards till the view of the camera.
5. See above.
6. Once the setup is done, you can monitor the cameras from your mobile app. You must have a UPS/Inverter for the device and your modem/router. You must have a broadband net connection with at least 10 mbps connectivity.
7. See above.
8. Yes.
9. You need to have - 2 megapixel camera (the higher the resolution, the better) for best results. Add adequate light as well. If there is not enough illumination, the camera will switch to IR mode which means the vision will be B/W. It is enough for forensics but not enough for a parent who want to watch over their child. Fix the light at 45 degree angle to the camera for better profiling.

10. How discreet ? You don't place the camera in bed room or in a rest room for obvious reasons. Understand that the connection between your camera and your mobile doesn't have the US DoD certified security. Any one with reasonable knowledge can steal a sneak preview. So think twice before you place your cameras.

Sometimes, the mere presence of a camera can deter a crime. It gives a psychological advantage to the owner and your employee should know that s/he is being monitored all the time.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 23:04   #124
BHPian

I want to install a single camera at our entrance door. I feel the need when we go on long vacation, to monitor the entry point and act as deterrent. So long storage might be required. Or maybe not, I don’t know. That’s why I am seeking advise here. What kind of setup should I choose? With DVR or on board storage? Pros and cons.

Last edited by Guite : 17th May 2019 at 23:07.
Old 21st May 2019, 11:40   #125
Senior - BHPian

I got the Ring Spotlight cam from the US. Night-vison, motion detection, FULL HD with two way talk, WIFI, spotlight, a 110-decibel alarm, inbuilt battery... etc. Very happy with the performance, except there is a monthly recurring cost for storing video on their cloud of USD 30. I'm checking with the technically blessed brethren over here if I can guide the transmission to my own cloud or HDD setup? Please help! Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Query On CCTV Camera And Installation-img_0488.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 21st May 2019 at 11:42.
Old 8th August 2019, 20:54   #126
Senior - BHPian

I've finalized on Hikvision setup for my factory and the cost is 17,000 for four 1.3 MP cameras, 8 channel DVR, a TFT, SMPS, 2 TB Hard disk.

Two are dome cameras and two are bullet.

The only thing I'm wary of is that the dealer who visited my premises kept on saying that CCTV setups are problem prone and I should assume 4-5 visits a year to keep the setup in perfect running condition. He said while the visits will be free of cost but generally CCTV setups are such that some or the other problem keeps on occurring.

How true is this? I actually met 3-4 dealers but zeroed in on the most genuine sounding guy who told me that I didn't need 2MP cameras because for worker monitoring purpose 1.3 MP would suffice. He also suggested 4 cameras against 6-7 cameras that others were suggesting. All in all he didn't want to suggest a high budget setup as my requirements were pretty basic. But his point on recurring visits bothered me a little.

At the end the installer would simply connect few wires, unless I mess around with it why would any part of the system fail?

Lastly, how do I ensure that I'm getting maximum bang for buck because I'm not sure how good the 2TB hard drive would be that he's suggesting, same for DVR, how do I ensure that he's going to use the right DVR for my setup.

Any pointers would help, the installation is due this Sunday.
Old 8th August 2019, 22:30   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
More or less your installer is right - cctv installations have their own share of issues, more so if the installation is outdoors.
I had set up my own installation, and one major problem that I faced twice is is my dogs chewed the cable which passed over the boundary wall of the terrace. Also, once a spider burrowed into a 2x2 box on which the cameras are mounted and spun a web in front on the lens - dealing with that was scary !

Jokes apart - make sure that:
  • The BNC and power pigtail connectors are of good quality
  • The joints are heatshrinked / taped nicely
  • The connectors of the cameras SHOULD NOT BE CUT & CRIMPED but the connector cable ends should be crimped into BNC & pigtails and then connected to the camera BNC and pigtail
  • There is some slack in the cables, preferably a couple of loops stacked at the middle
  • Dome cameras are installed indoors & bullet cameras are installed outdoors
  • The HDD is seagate skyhawk or WD purple - any desktop grade HDD would fail in no time.
Old 8th August 2019, 23:22   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing I'm wary of is that the dealer who visited my premises kept on saying that CCTV setups are problem prone and I should assume 4-5 visits a year to keep the setup in perfect running condition. He said while the visits will be free of cost but generally CCTV setups are such that some or the other problem keeps on occurring.
Not at all required unless the installer does a shoddy install! I have a Hikvision 4 cam setup at home which is an year old now. It has been running fine since then except an initial issue of grainy visuals in one feed which was noticed the 2nd day and was traced to a faulty connector at the DVR end. All 4 connectors were replaced to better quality connectors by the installer FOC and no issues since then.

I don't see why there would be any recurring issues with the setup if the install is done properly. Btw i would highly recommend using a UPS for the DVR and the cam power supply box and route the wiring through pvc conduits or cap&case. Proper install will give reliable service. The setup here at my home has withsood the infamous 2018 kerala monsoons, high heat and humidity climate in between and is in the midst of another glorius monsoon season all without any service personnel intervention. Touch wood.

Last edited by Sankar : 8th August 2019 at 23:34.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 08:12   #129
BHPian

Quote:

Please go with a PoE based setup. This option will turn out to be marginally more expensive, but the maintenance on the external power supply, it's BNC/Baloon connectors to the camera etc. are far lower in the long term. The wires powering the camera via BNC/Baloon tend to deteriorate in couple of years and lead to the bulk of that maintenance you speak of. As cables deteriorate cameras start showing discolored pictures, which gets worse as time passes.

Any decent brand cameras work. 1.3 MP is perfect for most purposes. Get a NVR instead of the DVR and a decent PoE ethernet switch.
Old 9th August 2019, 09:12   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've finalized on Hikvision setup for my factory and the cost is 17,000 for four 1.3 MP cameras, 8 channel DVR, a TFT, SMPS, 2 TB Hard disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenoy View Post
Please go with a PoE based setup.
Any decent brand cameras work. 1.3 MP is perfect for most purposes. Get a NVR instead of the DVR and a decent PoE ethernet switch.
I second Shenoy.

Go with a NVR based setup and Ethernet cameras instead of DVR setup. NVR is the in thing now and offers better quality and reliability.

HikVision has some NVR's which have PoE. You can consider those. Example below

https://www.hikvision.com/en/Product...-E2/8P)(E2/16P)

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 9th August 2019 at 09:14.
Old 9th August 2019, 09:24   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
HikVision has some NVR's which have PoE. You can consider those. Example below

https://www.hikvision.com/en/Product...-E2/8P)(E2/16P)
The link above does not seem to be correct. Could you please check and share the correct one?
Old 9th August 2019, 10:54   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The link above does not seem to be correct. Could you please check and share the correct one?
Check this one.

https://www.hikvision.com/en/Product...ideo-Recorder/
Old 9th August 2019, 15:29   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenoy View Post
Please go with a PoE based setup. This option will turn out to be marginally more expensive...

Get a NVR instead of the DVR and a decent PoE ethernet switch.
While I too would recommend an IP camera setup, the prices are nowhere near analog.

I got four 2MP cameras from Amazon for a song (2400 each) and still had to spend 55K (including a 32 inch TV - 16K)

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
An update:

I shifted my allegiance to IP camera on advice of the installer. He was singing praises about IP cameras and I was reminding him that I already had the analog camera kit on the way from Amazon. But then as (ill)luck should have it the local delivery refused to deliver citing that the package was too large for them to handle. The money was eventually refunded.

No kits were available in Amazon for IP cams, so bought them piece by piece and the total price came to about 30K. Hikvision cam and NVR and CP Plus PoE switch. I was able to add the Sricam WiFi cams lying around, so that was a definite plus.

A TV, wiring, labour, spike guard, and sundries brought the total price to 55K. Much more than I had imagined initially, but am not complaining.
Old 15th August 2019, 20:30   #134
Senior - BHPian

This is also an alternative as a cheap CCTV camera and can be used to monitor parked vehicles.

Query On CCTV Camera And Installation-beetel.png
Old 29th August 2019, 13:07   #135
BANNED

I am thinking of having some external CCTV coverage at my native place where my parents stay alone, mostly as a deterrence against petty crimes.

I had an idea that, I can get some CCTV cameras that can connect to home WiFi and broadcast to mobile phone. After going through this thread, I realized how wrong I was.

As I gather, I need 2-4 cameras, DVR, HDD and cabling with optional mobile viewing facility / display. And again, these setups are bound to fail in between and it is advisable to have some AMC kind of thing in place.

Coming back to new assumptions, could you guys suggest some VFM setup? I mostly need 2 outdoor and one indoor camera.

Also, any idea on those WiFi cameras from MI etc? Are they reliable?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks