Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 11:47   #1
jp1
BHPian

Bogus sms - how to find source

We are going through a major problem. There is a bogus sms going round with our office address saying that we are recruiting freshers. Few hundred people came for interview, and people are still coming. Our phones are continously ringing asking for office direction. The sms has no sender details. The sms message is as follows 'Walk in internvew for freshers at .....Pvt Ltd. Adresss.......'. There is no sender details
Is there anyway to find the source of this sms?
jp
Old 24th February 2011, 11:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Bogus sms - how to find source

Why don't you try calling up your service provider and asking for the senders details?
Old 24th February 2011, 12:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Lodge a complaint to the police and they will trace the person causing the nuisance. Most probably the person could be working in the same company and he is upset about the recent appraisal

You should take the legal route and get this fixed once for all.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:18   #4
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Why don't you try calling up your service provider and asking for the senders details?
sms has not come to us, it is with all these freshers who are coming for the interview. Otherwise we have to call from their number to their service provider and ask them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Lodge a complaint to the police and they will trace the person causing the nuisance. Most probably the person could be working in the same company and he is upset about the recent appraisal

You should take the legal route and get this fixed once for all.
We are considering the legal option, but to do that we need the co-operation of the individuals who received the message as the proof is in their phone.

Last edited by Stratos : 24th February 2011 at 13:51.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:18   #5
BHPian

You could check on the network destination code of the mobile numbers of few candidates to check if the message is being sent only to a particular operators numbers and then get in touch with the operator to report this issue.
Old 24th February 2011, 14:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
sms has not come to us, it is with all these freshers who are coming for the interview. Otherwise we have to call from their number to their service provider and ask them.

We are considering the legal option, but to do that we need the co-operation of the individuals who received the message as the proof is in their phone.
Offer an incentive to one of the receipients
Old 24th February 2011, 17:03   #7
jp1
BHPian

Guys, thanks for all suggestion. But we could not get to the bottom of the problem as the message source could not be identified, there is no sender number, no network identification etc. Still trying to pursue with the service provider. The onslaught people walking in has stopped, but I feel sorry for the so many guys who have turned up seeing the message. Only hope is that it wont repeat
Old 24th February 2011, 18:02   #8
BHPian

Telecom operators get the IMEI number along with the Mobile number whenever a call is made or SMS sent. Even if the sender has dumped the number he may be still using the same mobile.
Old 24th February 2011, 18:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Telecom operators get the IMEI number along with the Mobile number whenever a call is made or SMS sent. Even if the sender has dumped the number he may be still using the same mobile.
This is the case when it is a mobile to mobile sms. But here the sms seems to be orginated by some 3rd party application/software. Usually the 3rd party applications push the sms via sms gateways which inturn send the sms thru the smsc. So i am sure the operator should be able to figure out the ip from where the sms originated.

Last edited by Rotorhead : 24th February 2011 at 18:15.
Old 24th February 2011, 19:35   #10
BHPian

You need and FIR and the telecom guys will be able to help you.

If you have leased internet, phone or VOIP lines, talk to your relationship manager from the provider and they would be most willing to help.
Old 24th February 2011, 22:02   #11
jp1
BHPian

Here comes the next shocker After going through all the trouble in the morning hours, I just searched on the net with our company name and to my horror there are 4 job postings on it quoting our name, address and url. The site is iitjobs.com. These are posted on Feb 6th, 2011. How on earth anyone can stop this?. This website has only email addresses to contact them. I already emailed them, but no response yet. Now I am more worried, it looks like a job racket and I am sure whoever put these ad is going to take the job seekers for a ride.
Old 24th February 2011, 23:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Here comes the next shocker After going through all the trouble in the morning hours, I just searched on the net with our company name and to my horror there are 4 job postings on it quoting our name, address and url. The site is iitjobs.com. These are posted on Feb 6th, 2011. How on earth anyone can stop this?. This website has only email addresses to contact them. I already emailed them, but no response yet. Now I am more worried, it looks like a job racket and I am sure whoever put these ad is going to take the job seekers for a ride.
Find the website registar through whois and contact them directly. They WILL provide the details of the contact if there is legal issues or they will inform them about your dilemma.

You can constantly contact them if it is not solved.
Old 25th February 2011, 00:08   #13
BHPian

You can also give an ad in a few papers saying your company is not responsible for any advertisement for jobs online or through sms's, except the one's posted on your own company website.
Old 26th February 2011, 23:41   #14
BANNED

When a website deals in illegal activities - simply do a whois look up to find the site's owners.

To find where the site is hosted, look up the "host" - dns lookup. Any competent system administrator can do it. I figured out how to look up both within 6 months of PC ownership.

Talk to the hosting provider, if talking to the owner listed on whois produces any result.

A posting on your own website about false claims about your company will also help.

Edit:- I did both; and looks like the site is run by some Indian based in US.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 26th February 2011 at 23:47.
Old 27th February 2011, 00:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

i don't know.. i've a weird feeling about this. this could be a disgruntled employee or ex-employee causing problems for the company. being an employee/ex-employee, the person would have inside information to pull this off!

just a thought.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks