Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 18:38   #211
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab P7500. It has awesome display and has a SIM slot, used my BSNL 3G and it connected seamlessly.
How is your experience with Samsung Galaxy Tab P7500?

From where did you buy it? For how much?

I too am buying one.

Thanks.
Old 26th November 2011, 20:48   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Let me give a shot to answer your question..

There are some tablets which can replace laptop and your ipod depending on use. Here is how i think.

so phone, tablets and desktop will make a perfect combo. i hope i answered your question.

sorry for long post.
I am very much confused between ipad Vs android(Samsung Galaxy) tab.
My primary use is for internet browsing,email
Secondary needs are occasionally need to type letters on word and prepare few slides on PPT, photos viewing/transfer from camera on the go,reading books
I realise for my needs, the tablet can replace my laptop.
I use an iphone and have occasionally used the ipad. I have used the galaxy tab only at electronic stores briefly.
The Ipad, I found was very easy to use and extremely clutter free. But, having to go through itunes for everything was extremely irritating. I found file sharing between devices very poor. Since I have a Iphone, I suppose the usability of the tab will be better if it were a Ipad
The galaxy tab was not as neat as the Ipad but that was not a breaker as it had other advantages. It accepts a pen drive, file sharing was very easy and came loaded with the Polaris office which was enough for me.
The differences in display/audio quality/battery time etc did not make much difference to me.
My heart says , Ipad while my head says Galaxy tab. I am willing to spend upto 40grand.
Disclaimer : I am not a techexpert,just finding my way through.

Please help me decide

Last edited by Deep Blue : 26th November 2011 at 20:49.
Old 26th November 2011, 23:10   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Secondary needs are occasionally need to type letters on word and prepare few slides on PPT, photos viewing/transfer from camera on the go,reading books
I use an iphone and have occasionally used the ipad. I have used the galaxy tab only at electronic stores briefly.
The Ipad, I found was very easy to use and extremely clutter free. But, having to go through itunes for everything was extremely irritating. I found file sharing between devices very poor. Since I have a Iphone, I suppose the usability of the tab will be better if it were a Ipad
The galaxy tab was not as neat as the Ipad but that was not a breaker as it had other advantages. It accepts a pen drive, file sharing was very easy and came loaded with the Polaris office which was enough for me.
The differences in display/audio quality/battery time etc did not make much difference to me.
My heart says , Ipad while my head says Galaxy tab. I am willing to spend upto 40grand.

Please help me decide
I think you should check out the ASUS transformer. even though people may be skeptical about it the keyboard is a boon in many cases. plus the new one is insanely powerful and comes with ICS.
Old 27th November 2011, 00:12   #214
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
replies inline since there's alot u wrote.

err - i'm not advising cloud storage myself here! Neither does my iPad have an iCloud connection setup

You mentioned that in ios5, its broken free of desktop. So i am sure you are referring to cloud since over the air sync is not possible in ipad 2. But then i would never use iCloud as my back up since its capacity is small and won't rely on apple's server. I agree with Navinji in this case.

That is bunkum. ipad's on-screen keyboard is brilliant and like i said, if he has alot of typing to be done, the x series is unbeatable.

I have used ipad's keyboard and it is good. I won't say its brilliant. Same for any other tablets. Touchscreen keyboard's have its disadvantage. And for this you are trying to refute that physical keyboard is not good? Well to each his own i guess.

err? for a touchscreen? woh bhi iPad? hello???

So what's the big deal with touchscreen? Why can't one have a BT Mouse and use it when doing remote connection/presentations or working on powerpoint? It is as good as working on desktop albeit with a small screen. And that is where the higher screen resolution is useful.

err, no. Apple is the king of usability. i've bashed my head enough around android to say that confidently

May be tab you tried had an outdated version of honeycomb or just had GB on it. Also you are refuting ICS's usability which you haven't even tried. You can see hands-on video of Prime with ICS. It is pretty neat.

I get to use and troubleshoot ipads, tabs, transformers and touchpad quite a lot at my work place. So i am familiar with most platforms and how good they are to use, how friendly it is and which one are useful in work environment.

Finally, I would say to each his own in regards to usability. If you are comfortable with it, who am i to complain?

QuickOfficeHD is paid (10$) and is worth the money. The latter i'd rather not comment on.

[b] Most apps are available on both platforms. Again its matter of priority and comfort level you have with a particular apps that matters. For me, D2G and Quickoffice works just as good and gets my job done. Why spend $10? [\B]

the screen is a valid point but frankly not that big a deal. Its like defy's got much more pixel density than Galaxy SII but does anyone care?

It may not be big deal for your use. But for someone who works on tablet does. At my workplace, there are plenty of tablet users who love the bigger screen resolution since it makes it easier for them to remote while traveling. While you may under play it as much as you want, it is significant for certain business/home users. I have known many who have returned ipad 2 because of this particular issue and also leaking LCD's.

10.1 was costlier last i enquired? the 32gig version was some 36k INR in gurgaon.

As i said before, i am unaware of pricing so i would rely on your quote. Its kinda funny though that the world over both are priced at par and in india its reverse.

You are taking the specs a bit too literally in this case - there is a reason most tablets dont come with keyboard/mouse docking stations - because there's hardly any demand for that thing (and because its normally called a laptop!!)

Specs are there to speak. Who won't want a faster processor, more memory and additional accessories that can make working on tablet easier? There may not be much demand of docks and keyboard/mouse over there, but here it is selling quite well and has a good market. It is something which also extends battery to 17-18 hours, adds couple of more usb ports which is quite good and increases utility of tablet a lot imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post

Please help me decide
For your use both are really good. Also, i won't base my impressions on something that was tried at electronic stores. Most stores don't update their tablets regularly and so they may lack some finesse. Both have its own advantage and disadvantage. You should spend more time with both and decide.

I have used both extensively and i feel Tab is more productive than ipad 2. With ipad, i literally feel handcuffed as to what i can do with it. You have already listed the problems, and i have mentioned it 2-3 posts back too.

If you can wait a little, Transformer Prime should be out early 2012. It looks promising. If not, my vote goes for Tab for its usability, true multi tasking, features, screen, freedom of using external devices even though some may disagree.

Last edited by chevelle : 27th November 2011 at 00:20.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 09:54   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
How is your experience with Samsung Galaxy Tab P7500?

From where did you buy it? For how much?

I too am buying one.

Thanks.
It's good soo far. I bought it at Poorvika, Adyar for 33,500, I think the prices have come down since.
Old 27th November 2011, 11:20   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Please find my replies in line.
If you can wait a little, Transformer Prime should be out early 2012. It looks promising. If not, my vote goes for Tab for its usability, true multi tasking, features, screen, freedom of using external devices even though some may disagree.
Yes, I think I will wait for the Transformer Prime.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 27th November 2011 at 11:27.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:11   #217
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am looking to buy a tablet which will also serve as a navigation device. Is this possible with any existing tab?

Also, a friend would be buying this for me from the US. As far as possible I dont want an iPad. Any recommendations?

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th November 2011 at 13:15.
Old 28th November 2011, 16:31   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I also used a 500gb WD portable xhdd with transformer. I haven't tested with a 1TB or more but i will do so soon. The good thing is, i used HDMI to do a presentation using Transformer and WD portable hdd at my client's place. it worked flawlessly. saved me hassle of carrying my 16.4 inch laptop and should i say, i am very happy.
Wowie this is perfect.

Quote:
Firstly, the iPad2 post the iOS5 update has broken free of the desktop.

but I'm sure you already have a work laptop, no?

Why do you again want to use an external hard drive

iPad does not take memory cards

I look on the iPad for the following uses:
a. Family gaming, skype and suchlike - both for the toddlers to the oldest
b. Senior management travel device - 10 hour battery life
c. family laptop replacement - my wife doesn't need to open the laptop for any facebook or gaming usage at home or her office email checking.
Quote:
Also since he may not be very comfortable with touch typing and working with touch all the time,

All i was trying is to explain Navinji how a tablet can possibly substitute laptop in near future.

P.S: I am not familiar with pricing in India w.r.t tablets.
Ouch! I did not want to open a can of worms or an Android vs Apple debate.

It does seem like this Transformer thingy can be of some use to me.

1. it can play music/video from a hard disk or SD RAM card
2. It has a regular keyboard (Chevelle you are right - I have not be able to get the hang of touch screens and neither has my wife).

My vision is to carry the tablet part with me and check in the keyboard, hard disk, etc..

this way at the airport or on the plane I get to use what's on the tablet (games, documents, etc..). then when I get to my destination i can use it to play music, video, photos from a hard disk or SD card. Better still would be if the hard disk has blue-tooth or wifi built-in and is sitting on a table 10 meters away while I am on my bed with the tablet.

Later if I want to use the tablet to send email I dock it to the keyboard-dock and it works like a laptop and charges at the same time.

Only problem....

1. What do i do with my X220 LOL.

2. What kind of keyboard does this transformer thingy have? i like my T/X series kepboards (they remind me of my IBM Selectric). No other laptop has satisfied me like an IBM (the T and X series are IBM designed even if built and marketed by Legend computer aka Lenovo).

I am get the feeling that I am asking for too much now...
Old 28th November 2011, 17:23   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2. What kind of keyboard does this transformer thingy have? i like my T/X series kepboards (they remind me of my IBM Selectric). No other laptop has satisfied me like an IBM (the T and X series are IBM designed even if built and marketed by Legend computer aka Lenovo).
Looks like you will have to pack a keyboard too and plug that to USB port of Tablet.

Jokes aside, I do carry a mouse to handle tasks that require pixel level inputs (E.g. RDP to work PC). Mouse/ Keyboard and host of other peripherals can be attached to USB port of Android tablets.
Old 28th November 2011, 19:54   #220
Senior - BHPian

Navin ji, borrow one tab for a week and then decide is all I say
Old 29th November 2011, 03:21   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Ouch! I did not want to open a can of worms or an Android vs Apple debate.

Better still would be if the hard disk has blue-tooth or wifi built-in and is sitting on a table 10 meters away while I am on my bed with the tablet.

1. What do i do with my X220 LOL.

I am get the feeling that I am asking for too much now...
Debate will rage between the two iOS. Both are really good OSes and none is perfect. Its upto the users to determine which one he/she is comfortable with.

You can use phone's disk capacity with Bluetooth to transfer stuff. I don't think BT HDD makes sense since transfer speeds will be slow. But then we shall see it soon as it makes sense.

1. Keep your laptop. You never know when you want it.

2. The keyboard is regular unit. The old transformer had similar docking station. Its very close to what we get in most laptops. I am not sure if it will be similar to the one's you want. But it does get the job done.

Quote:
Navin ji, borrow one tab for a week and then decide is all I say
Super agreed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Looks like you will have to pack a keyboard too and plug that to USB port of Tablet.

Jokes aside, I do carry a mouse to handle tasks that require pixel level inputs (E.g. RDP to work PC). Mouse/ Keyboard and host of other peripherals can be attached to USB port of Android tablets.
That is what i like about most Android tablets. The availability of USB ports as well as mini HDMI. Makes using external devices a breeze. Hope Apple includes it in ipad 3.

Last edited by chevelle : 29th November 2011 at 03:30.
Old 29th November 2011, 23:51   #222
BHPian

Hear, hear...

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for 33500.00 from Univercell at Ambattur today.

Consider myself lucky that I have been able to see it at least. So what if it is from far.

Get me wrong not. Its my 11 and 7 year boys who are responsible. They do not allow me anywhere near the machine. Mera number kab aayega?

But yes. Am sorta disappointed at the minuscule No. of preloaded games and apps in the tab. Suggestions for some free games and apps are welcome.

I invite queries from members who want to clear their doubts about the tab. To me it is the perfect buy. Casted my net far and wide before settling on this one. Let us see how it pans out.
Old 30th November 2011, 00:16   #223
BHPian

I know i might be diverging from the thread here a little bit but the next version of Microsoft Windows (8) is also going to be a hybrid os with touch features and the familiar Window user interface.

Windows might also support the future ARM Microprocessor based devices. Dell already has a Atom based tablet that uses Win 7 now. Samsung also has a 13 inch ? Tablet for windows which comes with a separate keyboard and mouse.

It is soon going to be that buying a device would need the following questions answered.
which OS is the one you prefer?
what form factor you prefer?

than whether it is going to be a tablet or a laptop or a netbook or a tower pc.

Last edited by sreedotk : 30th November 2011 at 00:17.
Old 30th November 2011, 14:12   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got my Blackberry Playbook delivered yesterday and when I excitedly opend to set-it up was shocked to note that you cannot move forward from 2nd screen as it requires you to have a wi-fi network available.

Unfortunately, use a Reliance Datacard at home and office network is protected and cannot connect there with personal devices

Now i am getting Beam Internet (wireline) installed at home so, now have to dig out my old router and set-up a wi-fi network to be able to use it at home

Once its set-up will pair it with my BB phone and tether for internet and office emails.

Just curious as to why would someone need a wi-fi to set-up the tab for the first time when suppose i dont even want to use it for browsing but, simply access the preloaded apps or pics etc.....RIM Wake Up !!!!
Old 30th November 2011, 15:33   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
... It is soon going to be that buying a device would need the following questions answered.
which OS is the one you prefer? ...
LOL That would be definitely putting the cart before the horse. MS (and its diehard followers) are famous for that!!! Do you think Blackberry, Apple, Samsung et al sell an OS or a device?

BTW, how much % of total tablet sales do you think techies (those who at all care for OS) account for? Who else cares for the OS on the device? Since it is a utility device, the ones that sell numbers have got it right for the facilities they give to make the device a utility device.

Talking of OS trivializes those facilities and ergonomics of device use, including apps. Even if one talks of OS as a representative of a set of apps, today's apps are not limited to one OS platform. So why should I decide on OS first?

So what if MS gets its act right years after the others? It will still be an also-ran now and in future in this area, and it will still need to pull a fast one on a hardware company (like Nokia) to get it out in the field in numbers. Even HTC, which was more behind the limited popularity of Windows Mobile than MS was, is not so forthcoming jumping on to the MS WM bandwagon. Do I need touch screen on a desktop or a laptop? So far I haven't found a reason, probably because my finger tip is not pixel-sized to achieve what I can very precisely with a mouse/track-ball/digitizer.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks