Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:40   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Tradus.in has a BB playbook 64GB wifi model for 17k. Wondering if it is a good buy. Any comments?
I am not sure how tradus.in is. delivery, reliability etc. Letsbuy has 64 gb BB playbook for 18499/-.
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:46   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
I want to buy a tablet primarily to access my office mails while travelling , does android based tabs have any app which would help with outlook access and is Reliance Net Connect compatible with android tabs .
Usually the inbuilt mail app would suffice for outlook. Else, I use an app called Roadsync.
Reliance Net Connect would depend on the ports available. You are better off with 3g.
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:44   #333
BHPian

I am not a tech firendly man when it comes to electronic gadgets. I wish to gift my wife a tablet with calling facility. Wish she starts using it for surfing using 3G sim and i get rid of broadband BSNL connection.

All tablets I have come across do not have calling facility except samsung.
However samsung is too common. I wish to gift somethign exclusive. budget upto 50k. any suggestions?

Rgds.
Old 4th March 2012, 14:45   #334
BANNED

I have an offer for a Kindle; and am told that the price is approx 200 USD. For a model without camera and 3G, is it worth, when compared to other tablets?

Feature / price wise, what is the competition?
Old 5th March 2012, 16:02   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I have an offer for a Kindle; and am told that the price is approx 200 USD. For a model without camera and 3G, is it worth, when comYou could ypared to other tablets?

You should be taking samsung galaxy tab wifi(the first version), its available for roughly 14k brand new, and you could get it under 10k a good second hand.
samy3660 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 05:53   #336
Senior - BHPian

Is there anyone with the playbook on the new software in Delhi? Need to make up our mind on the playbook purchase for the MIL.
Old 7th March 2012, 12:33   #337
Senior - BHPian

How does a HP Touchpad 32 GB sound? Yup, know that there is no more support for it. But I intend to install CM9 on it. Not too worried about the part where I cannot use 3G. This is just WiFi.
Old 8th March 2012, 19:59   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
I am not a tech firendly man when it comes to electronic gadgets. I wish to gift my wife a tablet with calling facility. Wish she starts using it for surfing using 3G sim and i get rid of broadband BSNL connection.

All tablets I have come across do not have calling facility except samsung.
However samsung is too common. I wish to gift somethign exclusive. budget upto 50k. any suggestions?

Rgds.
Tablets usually do not have phone features enabled. You can hack a 3G android tablet to make things happen but you need a bit of technical know how for that. I suggest you get her a 3G capable phone and a fancy wifi tablet. She can then use the phone's 3G connection on the tablet via bluetooth or wifi. Best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I have an offer for a Kindle; and am told that the price is approx 200 USD. For a model without camera and 3G, is it worth, when compared to other tablets?

Try getting a Nook instead. Much more hackable. Either way, you will have to root the device and install android market (or Google Play as they call it now) as the markets on these devices are geographically limited.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th March 2012 at 04:55. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 22:19   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
How does a HP Touchpad 32 GB sound? Yup, know that there is no more support for it. But I intend to install CM9 on it. Not too worried about the part where I cannot use 3G. This is just WiFi.
if its available for sale price of $149 or around 10k rupees in India. Its a great deal. I played with it for some time. Its good. Install an android and it will be even better.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 23:10   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
if its available for sale price of $149 or around 10k rupees in India. Its a great deal. I played with it for some time. Its good. Install an android and it will be even better.
Yup - landed it for a bit more than that. But its an unused one. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Will use it for a few days on WebOS but will install CM9 soon. The best stuff is I can dual-boot.
Old 9th March 2012, 01:20   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yup - landed it for a bit more than that. But its an unused one. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Will use it for a few days on WebOS but will install CM9 soon. The best stuff is I can dual-boot.
Nice! where did you get it from? Any more available? How much did you get it for? You can pm me the pricing if you don't wanna share here.
Old 10th March 2012, 08:48   #342
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Apple Ipad2 prices have been slashed by $100 following the New Ipad launch!
Does it make sense to go for the ipad2 now at the reduced price?
Old 11th March 2012, 22:46   #343
Senior - BHPian

Guys

When it comes to tablets, I am a novice. But I've been bitten by the tablet bug and plan to get one in the next couple of months.

I was smitten by the iPad that I saw in a get-together in the US last year. A colleague of mine owns a Galaxy Tab and swears it is better than the iPad in terms of battery life and features, apart from the Flash player compatibiltiy.

My primary use will be for browsing, social networking and listening to music, apart from watching movies during long drives.GPS and maps would be an added like to have.

So should I go for the Ipad 2 or the Samsung Galaxy tab? No BB please, as I don't own a BB phone.

And would it make sense to get one from the US, or will there be compatibility issues? I don't plan to go for 3G on the device.

My budget is around 25K INR
Old 13th March 2012, 12:44   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
And would it make sense to get one from the US, or will there be compatibility issues? I don't plan to go for 3G on the device.

My budget is around 25K INR
Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime at $499 from US will fit your budget.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 12:48   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime at $499 from US will fit your budget.
Thanks for the suggestion, but even the Ipad 3 without 4 G is there for the same price. Won't that make a better buy?

Edit: I just took a look at that device and it looks real cool. Need to read reviews though. The OS being Android Ice Cream Sandwich is an added bonus.

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th March 2012 at 12:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks