Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 13:40   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
My budget is around 25K INR
Ipad2 it has to be. From a support, integration and UI standpoint, its up there in the list.
With 100$ reduction, its even better. Get the WiFI only version with more memory.

That would be the best VFM.

Last edited by ampere : 13th March 2012 at 13:41.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 13:45   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ipad2 it has to be. From a support, integration and UI standpoint, its up there in the list.
With 100$ reduction, its even better. Get the WiFI only version with more memory.

That would be the best VFM.
Well, the ipad3 is supposed to be leagues ahead, and costs only 499 USD for the 16 gb version. A 4G enabled one costs around 630 USD. Won't either one be a better pick?

What if I go for the one with only wireless and no 4G. Will I be able to browse with 2G/ GPRS while on the move? If not, I'd better cough up extra for the 4G version, though I might not use 3G in the near future.
Old 13th March 2012, 13:55   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys

When it comes to tablets, I am a novice. But I've been bitten by the tablet bug and plan to get one in the next couple of months.

So should I go for the Ipad 2 or the Samsung Galaxy tab? No BB please, as I don't own a BB phone.

My budget is around 25K INR
Please don't discount the BB Playbook, without even looking at it once. It's a wonderful piece of hardware and with recent software upgrade it makes a compelling case for itself.

I don't have a BB phone either, but I am hooked to it when I get home.
The inbuilt email app and browser is good enough for the kind of usage you mentioned.

Using it since last 4 months and it has never hanged or needed a reboot. Battery life is fantastic.

If you are even slightly a gamer, then full free games like NFS undercover, Modern Combat 4 and Asphalt6 adrenaline would make sure you spend time with it. Plus there are other timepass games too.

Awesome screen and stereo speakers, and if you just happen to plug a good earphone , you would be blown away with it's fantastic sound quality.
More than that it has full office suite where in you can create and edit Ms. Word and Excel files. Doubles up as a E-book reader quite nicely.
You will enjoy watching movie and listening to music on it. Also has a 5mp front and 3 mp rear camera, though image quality is average.
Only wifi version, so no GPS support on the go unless you have a offline map for it, although it has GPS inbuilt and comes with Bing maps.

For 19K, you can get the highest 64GB version.

But if you want inter-operability between your android phone and the tablet, then you have to look at android tablets.

Please have a look at either of Avi's, Neel's or my Playbook before you decide. We will be more than willing to welcome another Playbooker among us

EDIT: forgot to add, its a 7 inch screen tablet, so if you are looking at bigger screen size, then it's a no go.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 13th March 2012 at 14:04.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 13:55   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, the ipad3 is supposed to be leagues ahead, and costs only 499 USD for the 16 gb version. A 4G enabled one costs around 630 USD. Won't either one be a better pick?

What if I go for the one with only wireless and no 4G. Will I be able to browse with 2G/ GPRS while on the move?
If not, I'd better cough up extra for the 4G version, though I might not use 3G in the near future.
If you can get your hands on IPAD3, then nothing like it.
On the 3G/4G versions, you need to decide you plan to browse it in that mode.
Many people keep it at home and browse. For that a Wifi version is sufficient.

Also note that in India, at how many places do we get 3G? If we are in our own city
how many times do we use 3G? Most cases either at office or at home, we have access to broadband.
On being away from base city having access to 3G is not that easy.

Hence I made that comment. To summarise you need to define usage profile and based on that decide.

EDIT: I do agree to what @FM says. BB Playbook is also a good buy. If you have any affinity for Apple products,
your data syncing is beautifully carried out across devices with an Ipad. That is nice advantage to have.

Last edited by ampere : 13th March 2012 at 14:17.
Old 13th March 2012, 14:56   #350
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Manish. I'll certainly have a look at the BB playbook. But what is the battery life after charging? I believe Ipad and Galaxy tab last for around 9 to 10 hours.

@Ampere---I was referring to using 2g/ gprs while on the move, just like I do using my Andriod Defy. 3 g is too darn expensive as of now. But my assumption was that if I go for only the wi fi version, then I may not even be able to use gprs while on the move.
Old 13th March 2012, 15:08   #351
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the HP TouchPad 32 GB. Got it from a fellow Team-BHPian here and it reached me without any issues though GATI wasted some time delivering it. Though it was supposed to be delivered on Saturday (assured delivery), it reached me only yesterday afternoon.

Thanks to this T-BHPian, the packaging was great and there was no damage at all to the unit. He's also given me the case for the TouchPad which is a perfect fit and well designed.

This is my first tablet - have not been even remotely interested in tablets before, so cannot compare with any other tabs. Well, first impressions - fast, good interface, "cards" feature is nice, setup was simple and screen size, colours look great.

But a total finger-print magnet - both the back of the unit and the screen! WebOS looks decent enough but even the apps store doesn't have enough apps. I mean, using an android phone, I am somehow used to having an app for everything - native twitter and gmails apps for example.

But otherwise, Kindle reader, native support for pdfs (with Adobe Reader) and Flash support is a plus. Don't like the native browser too much - somehow reminds me of my old Samsung browser. Was that webkit?

All in all, will play around with the tab for a few days and then will do what I really bought the tab for - install CyanogenMod9. Wooohooo!
Old 13th March 2012, 15:20   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Manish. I'll certainly have a look at the BB playbook. But what is the battery life after charging? I believe Ipad and Galaxy tab last for around 9 to 10 hours.
Easily gives you 8 to 9 hours on normal usage. But if you are playing the HD games on it, might come down to 6 hrs even.

Quote:
@Ampere---I was referring to using 2g/ gprs while on the move, just like I do using my Andriod Defy. 3 g is too darn expensive as of now. But my assumption was that if I go for only the wi fi version, then I may not even be able to use gprs while on the move.
For any kind of 2G/3G data usage on the tablet,it should have a Sim card slot.
Only wifi version don't have this sim card slot, so you can't even use 2g/gprs on it.
But yes , your MotoDefy, works as wifi hot spot. So put that on and then you can connect yor wifi only tablet to the mobile network through wifi beamed by your phone.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 16:10   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Battery life of Playbook is one of its strongest feature. On standby mode, it can last for 2 days easily

There were multiple times i drowsed off to sleep without shutting down PB and only check it next evening to see the battery level at the same percentage

With its current pricing, BB Playbook is the most VFM tablet out there ( Being a BB phone user and a dedicated fan, i dont even want to look further )
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 19:14   #354
BHPian

Well a Nokia tablet is on its way so maybe something to look forward to finally...

http://installornot.com/news-2/phone...-tablet-in-q4/
Old 14th March 2012, 09:31   #355
Senior - BHPian

Though I got the TouchPad just 2 latest back, have now installed CM9 on it. Great stuff! ICS is niiice
Old 14th March 2012, 11:31   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but even the Ipad 3 without 4 G is there for the same price. Won't that make a better buy?
Both iPad & Android serve your needs. iPad is a more restrictive environment, while Android is more open.
My feedback on your options:
iPad 3: Excellent now & will be faster for next 2 OS updates.
iPad 2: Good now & might be slow after next OS update
Asus TF201: Equivalent to iPad 3 in specs & since its newer than Galaxy Tab, it has better specs for same price.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 14:34   #357
Senior - BHPian

Got this in email today.

Lowest Price on Apple iPads

This is a worthy deal for anyone in market for a tablet.

Ipad 2 16GB Wifi @ 21800
Ipad 2 32GB Wifi @ 28700
Ipad 2 64GB Wifi @ 34600

Posted this here thinking it shall be useful for many.
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 16:00   #358
Senior - BHPian

Twitter app on HP TouchPad running CM9

Has anyone faced this problem on a tablet? Installed CM9 on my HP TouchPad and then installed the official Twitter app. Now, I manage two twitter accounts and added them. But problem is, since there is no hard key or neither a soft key, I am not getting a "menu" option up to switch between accounts! The only way is to click on the button to type in a new tweet, click the current account icon on it and then click the icon for my other twitter account. Then the TL for this account shows up. No, don't want to switch to another twitter app just for this. Perhaps I am missing something here.

Any ideas?
Old 16th March 2012, 10:08   #359
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Got this in email today.

Lowest Price on Apple iPads

This is a worthy deal for anyone in market for a tablet.

Ipad 2 16GB Wifi @ 21800
Ipad 2 32GB Wifi @ 28700
Ipad 2 64GB Wifi @ 34600

Posted this here thinking it shall be useful for many.
How trust worthy are buying these on Ebay.
How to confirm these are brand new on offer
Old 16th March 2012, 10:15   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
How trust worthy are buying these on Ebay.
How to confirm these are brand new on offer
Paisa pay does not release funds to the seller till the buyer marks product received.
I think if you initiate a dispute that Item is not as described(New/Color/etc), Ebay holds payment till resolution.
And if you initiate a refund within the refund times, you can get your money back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks