Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 14:53   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Guys, my budget is a max of 15,000 INR. Which TAB should I go in for? I want to use my Data card along with the TAB. Any suggestions? Flipkart is not helping!
Old 27th April 2012, 16:12   #467
BHPian

15000 seems like a tight budget if you are buying in India.
Try junglee and look for Acer Iconia, Toshiba Trive or Lenovo Ideapad range. All of these are rocksolid and vfm brands.
I own an Ideapad K1 32GB, WiFi. Excellent piece of hardware with Honeycomb.
Old 27th April 2012, 18:34   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Guys, my budget is a max of 15,000 INR. Which TAB should I go in for? I want to use my Data card along with the TAB. Any suggestions? Flipkart is not helping!
First of all, are you sure that you want to use a datacard? As far as I know, Using datacard on a tablet is either impossible or involves intensive hacking (which is not worth it). There are two tablets in your budget-

Samsung should be launching the recently released 7inch Galaxy Tab 2 in India soon with price under 15k. It has SIM card slot so you can surf on EDGE or 3G.

Another choice is BlackBerry Playbook (already available in market) for 13.5K bucks. You can run internet on it via one of two methods-
1. If you have BB phone, you can bridge it with Playbook and surf internet on the Playbook.
2. If you have a phone/device with tethering (sharing internet over WiFi) then Playbook can run on its WiFi. My Playbook runs on my laptop's tethering.

I am not sure about your requirements but I suppose 7inch Galaxy Tab 2 will suit you best. It might be cheaper than 15k but it doesn't lack anything compared to more expensive tablets.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 27th April 2012 at 18:37. Reason: Adding more lines
Old 27th April 2012, 18:57   #469
BHPian

I am looking for a dual core android tab like the micromax funbook but with Bluetooth functionality. Any options available? Please suggest.
bhaap.com is selling Samsung galaxy tab plus for 19k ONLY for today. It's the cheapest one can buy online. You can go for it if you can stretch your budget

Last edited by rohitbagai : 27th April 2012 at 19:00.
Old 27th April 2012, 19:35   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I am looking for a dual core android tab
Quote:
You can go for it if you can stretch your budget
Er, I am not sure if you are asking a question or answering someone. If you are asking, and want to save even more then wait a few weeks for 7inch Galaxy Tab 2 to arrive (which has been launched in other countries). It is supposed to be priced under 15k.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 27th April 2012 at 19:36. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 27th April 2012, 19:40   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry

Er, I am not sure if you are asking a question or answering someone. If you are asking, and want to save even more then wait a few weeks for 7inch Galaxy Tab 2 to arrive (which has been launched in other countries). It is supposed to be priced under 15k.
I was asking a question about budgeted tab for myself and came back to reply Amtak. But since I was not able to quote while editing my post i went ahead and added my reply without quotes.
I am still looking for a tab with the requirement I posted
Any reliable source of the info that it will be priced around 15k?
Old 27th April 2012, 20:41   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Any reliable source of the info that it will be priced around 15k?
Oh wait. I am wrong. I didn't know that Galaxy Tab2 is also being offered in WiFi only model. WiFi only model is being offered for $250. This would translate in 15k but 3G version will cost over 20k!

Sorry for wrong info. In this case, your pick indeed does sound like the cheapest option. Another option is Sony Tablet S which, with discount, costs ~20k and has quite lovely design. Though I don't trust Sony much when it comes to updating to latest OS.
Old 28th April 2012, 06:52   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
First of all, are you sure that you want to use a datacard? As far as I know, Using datacard on a tablet is either impossible or involves intensive hacking (which is not worth it). There are two tablets in your budget-

Samsung should be launching the recently released 7inch Galaxy Tab 2 in India soon with price under 15k. It has SIM card slot so you can surf on EDGE or 3G.

Another choice is BlackBerry Playbook (already available in market) for 13.5K bucks. You can run internet on it via one of two methods-
1. If you have BB phone, you can bridge it with Playbook and surf internet on the Playbook.
2. If you have a phone/device with tethering (sharing internet over WiFi) then Playbook can run on its WiFi. My Playbook runs on my laptop's tethering.

I am not sure about your requirements but I suppose 7inch Galaxy Tab 2 will suit you best. It might be cheaper than 15k but it doesn't lack anything compared to more expensive tablets.
I think I am pretty sure that I would want to have data connectivity. That's for a couple of reasons. I don't want my data card to go waste + I want to save on additional costs that I would be incurring on taking an additional connection!
Old 28th April 2012, 23:04   #474
BHPian

Is there a way to roll back to previous version ie OS 2.0 for Playbook? Ever since I updated to 2.0.1 am facing battery drain issues. Is there any other solution for this ?
Old 28th April 2012, 23:27   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Is there a way to roll back to previous version ie OS 2.0 for Playbook? Ever since I updated to 2.0.1 am facing battery drain issues. Is there any other solution for this ?
Have you ever restarted Playbook after the 2.0.1 update?
Old 28th April 2012, 23:48   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Have you ever restarted Playbook after the 2.0.1 update?
Yes, I have restarted it a couple of times. I see that most of the battery discharge occurs in the standby mode. It was never the case earlier.
Old 28th April 2012, 23:50   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Yes, I have restarted it a couple of times. I see that most of the battery discharge occurs in the standby mode. It was never the case earlier.
You are reporting same problem what most people have complained about. I really never noticed in my case. Reading on Crackberry forum, most common solution seems to be a hard reset. If you don't want to wipe out your data then I suggest you to seach more about it on Crackberry forum.
Old 29th April 2012, 03:57   #478
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

on a side note - a cousin bought the funbook for his 6 year old daughter and couldn't be happier. Its a VERY VFM buy for 6500 bucks. ofc, try before you buy, expectation levels and all that. But even he was pleasantly surprised by the very little lag.
Old 29th April 2012, 07:54   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Quote:
Micromax Funbook supports data card with it. It provides data card along with it as package deal. Funbook is good and VFM product with 7 inch screen. I myself is using it mostly for reading books through kindle, google reader etc. apps. I do not mind little lag for 6500 bucks.

If you do not want to go for this then get any tablet with Wifi (as DevisCry suggested) and buy one more mobile with Mobile AP (Samsung Wave Y, Wave M, Wave III, Galaxy Y etc.) You can pluging you 3G sim into it and make it Mobile AP and surf interned in your tab.
Old 29th April 2012, 11:39   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Yes.
Apps which were sideloaded before the update - works.
Apps which were sideloaded after the update - works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Have you guys been running side-loaded Android apps *before* you updated to OS 2.0.1?

Any changes in that? I'm keen to know if they have been improvised in some way or reduced in functionality? There was some talk on encryption et al w.r.t. Android apps being introduced in OS 2.0.1 update.
And so, i have successfully sideloaded my Playbook *after* the software update. Working fine till now.

Here are a few screen shots.

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-img2012042901458.jpg

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-side-loaded.jpg

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-img2012042901453.jpg

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-img2012042901455.jpg

Yippee!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks