Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 21:49   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
But why a 2.3k Jabra? I mean its fine if you have the budget for it, but I'm inclined to feel that even a 700-800 Samsung (or any other brand) would do the job. Yes, it may not have voice cancellation and frills in this price range, but if you are going to use it indoors, or even in an AC car, it may not make much difference. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes boss, you're absolutely correct in your analysis. But taking into account the fact that this is going to be his primary mobile phone (other than office PNT), he may not be comfortable talking on a headset without noise cancellation. For music, or any other general purpose, a cheap one will suffice. But if its something you're going to rely completely on, better spend more and get a good one. It depends on his needs. Hope you got my point.

Regards,
Misbah Ahmed
Old 18th July 2012, 21:51   #602
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anybody using the Micromax funbook?
I am interested in the car charger which can give 2.1A
Its available for 299 from ncarry.

I wanted to know if the car charger has standard USB ports, so that I can attach data cable and charge mobile phones with it.
I recently started using funbook.
Haven't tried charging it In car, will do so now and post back.
I think one cannot charge Samsung Tab2, but funbook should be chargeable on 1A USB car charger, Let me check though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hi friends, I need to buy a tablet. My budget is 20,000 - plus minus something. The main purpose is video calling (through wi-fi) and net surfing (3G).

I have a few queries -

1) In flipkart, I saw some tablets which do not have call facility, still they have mentioned that it has wifi + 3G. How is that? If it does not have call facility, it wont have a SIM card and if it does not have a SIM, how will it have 3G?

2) I do have a phone and call facility is not really important to me. But I need net connection 24x7 for e-mails and browsing. For that, I will need to buy a SIM card, isnt it? So if I am buying a SIM for the tab, why not as well buy the tablet with call facility...

Which tab would be the best in my budget? Oh yes, it has to be an Android!
Tab 2 is the best option.
It gives best of all available options and will not let you down.
however 3MP cam is only thing which shows cost cutting by samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Thanks friends. I guess the Dell and Lenovo does not have call facility.

Is it worth stretching to 23k for the Samsung Tab 620?
Tab620 doesn't comes with ICS, thats a reason i opted P3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I am sailing the same boat and has decided upon the Samsung tab2 p3100, I would be using it as primary phone with my personal mobile number along with a basic phone for my office number with which most of the calling is done.

What I have observed that you would be needing few accessories with it, A bluetooth handset, as using putting it on against your for calling will look very odd and will be little odd.2, A screen protector, for scratch protection as its missing something called cornering glass. 3, A good case, as carrying it without one could cause damage to device.

All these accessories could bump the final landing cost by almost 2.5 k.
Replied your PM, why buy Jabra, when samsung BT is 600-700
I ordered screenguard @Rs.200 from flipkart, it was Rainbow Brand.
Later my father bought Leather case @ Rs.500 in delhi which makes it Desktop Standable.
Old 18th July 2012, 22:57   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Yes, you are quite right. But a good headset of Jabra will cost around 2.3k. Add a screen protector of Rs. 400. And a leather case for Rs. 400, at the bare minimum, which i believe will not have much in terms of quality. You might have to take the Rs. 1000 cover selling on Flipkart. So total cost will be somewhat around Rs. 24000.

P.S : Its Corning, not cornering glass, i believe. No concrete info though, i might be wrong:-)
Oh, it could be even I am not very sure about it but the point is whatever it is tab 2 lacks one.

As for the 2.5K, this was my break up, 1000 Rs for BT headset, I have zeroed upon Samsung HM 1100 which I retails for around 1.1k, 1000 Rs for a very superb looking case with Samsung tab marking, and around 500 or so for screen protector.
Old 18th July 2012, 23:43   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Anybody using the Micromax funbook?
I am interested in the car charger which can give 2.1A
Its available for 299 from ncarry.

I wanted to know if the car charger has standard USB ports, so that I can attach data cable and charge mobile phones with it.
Good news for funbook users.
I am able to charge my funbook using Belkin Car USB Charger I have.
I connected it to car charger using USB Cable, it was on 91%, got busy on computer and checked it after 15-20 mins, it was 95% charged.
Car engine was not running and my car batt. was almost fully charged when I turned ON the charger.

So, I would assume this as funbook doesn't needs 2A charger, also its worth noting the battery is of less capacity(2800ma) as compared to Tab2(4000ma).
Old 19th July 2012, 01:10   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, it could be even I am not very sure about it but the point is whatever it is tab 2 lacks one.

As for the 2.5K, this was my break up, 1000 Rs for BT headset, I have zeroed upon Samsung HM 1100 which I retails for around 1.1k, 1000 Rs for a very superb looking case with Samsung tab marking, and around 500 or so for screen protector.
HM 1100 costs lesser. For 1.2 k you could consider Swiss Voice which is better.
Old 19th July 2012, 07:56   #606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Good news for funbook users.
I am able to charge my funbook using Belkin Car USB Charger I have.
I connected it to car charger using USB Cable, it was on 91%, got busy on computer and checked it after 15-20 mins, it was 95% charged.
Car engine was not running and my car batt. was almost fully charged when I turned ON the charger.

So, I would assume this as funbook doesn't needs 2A charger, also its worth noting the battery is of less capacity(2800ma) as compared to Tab2(4000ma).
Were you using your tablet while it was charging. For my note 1A should be enough, but 1.5A should give faster charging with GPS and screen on.
BTW, I think people have misunderstood my question. I need to charge my galaxy note. I wanted to know whether funbook car charger has standard USB port to which any USB cable can be attached.
I am ready to spend 100rs extra(299) to get 2.1A charging current capability and dual USB ports
Old 19th July 2012, 11:59   #607
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at this for my kid.
Buy Ainol Novo 7 Elf II - 7 inch HD Dispaly Dual Core Android 4.0 Tablet Cortex A9 • VeedeeDirect

Needed something with higher resolution than 800x480 and this is the best I could find. Also has dual core which should be fine. Games and some educational content would be the goal.
Old 19th July 2012, 12:07   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I am looking at this for my kid.
Buy Ainol Novo 7 Elf II - 7 inch HD Dispaly Dual Core Android 4.0 Tablet Cortex A9 • VeedeeDirect

Needed something with higher resolution than 800x480 and this is the best I could find. Also has dual core which should be fine. Games and some educational content would be the goal.
I bought it recently (you can find my initial impressions in last few pages). Its a wonderful beast and for this price nothing can beat it in the market currently. It looks and feels quite upmarket surprisingly for a chinese product.

A word of advice - Buy a scratch guard. Learnt it hard way. As I am used to the Gorilla glass on my smartphones (they dont scratch what may), I havent been using any scratch guard for ages. I bought this for my daughter and now the screen has millions of scratches thanks to her! She plays fruit ninja on it all the time!

Also update the software immediately. you can find cooked English ROMs online (search for darkelf+Ainol Elf2)
Old 19th July 2012, 12:23   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
The Dell has the call facility, as you can see from the pic. I use it. The lenovo has calling facility according to gsmarena website.

Whats the difference in terms of features between the 630 and P310?
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
On the budget part I would recon you visit a Samsung store or any store where you can test both side by side and get a hands on feel. My friend got the samsung 2 tab and he is extremely satisfied with it. I would say if the 19k tab satisfies your needs go for it.

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am using P1000 and never faced any issues so far. My nephew bought Tab2 last month and he is very happy with its performance and battery backup but camera quality could have been better.
Quote:
I am sailing the same boat and has decided upon the Samsung tab2 p3100, I would be using it as primary phone with my personal mobile number along with a basic phone for my office number with which most of the calling is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
But why a 2.3k Jabra? I mean its find if you have the budget for it, but I'm inclined to feel that even a 700-800 Samsung (or any other brand) would do the job. Yes, it may not have voice cancellation and frills in this price range, but if you are going to use it indoors, or even in an AC car, it may not make much difference. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks a lot for the advice friends. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab2.

I wanted to compare it to the Tab 620 but the store owner claimed that the 620 is discontinued. I dont know how far that is true.

Anyways, I took a small demo at the store and was satisfied. It served my purpose and so I bought it for 19,500.

Yes, it will definitely need accessories like a bluetooth headset, a case and a screen protector.

Thank you again.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:10   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Were you using your tablet while it was charging. For my note 1A should be enough, but 1.5A should give faster charging with GPS and screen on.
BTW, I think people have misunderstood my question. I need to charge my galaxy note. I wanted to know whether funbook car charger has standard USB port to which any USB cable can be attached.
I am ready to spend 100rs extra(299) to get 2.1A charging current capability and dual USB ports
Yes, I used funbook for a couple of minutes, and then kept it in car for 10-15 mins.
I am sure any reliable charger would be able to charge galaxy note on the move, As Galaxy Note has Li-Ion, 2500 mAh which is little less than funbook itself.

Before you bump on a dual port charger, make sure its 2.1A on each port as I suspect non-belkin ones are 1A on each and not 2.1A on each.
Try this belkin one, its the one I am using, its good VFM and solves my purpose.
I am able to charge funbook, a blackberry, and galaxy 3 android without hassle.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:42   #611
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, I used funbook for a couple of minutes, and then kept it in car for 10-15 mins.
I am sure any reliable charger would be able to charge galaxy note on the move, As Galaxy Note has Li-Ion, 2500 mAh which is little less than funbook itself.

Before you bump on a dual port charger, make sure its 2.1A on each port as I suspect non-belkin ones are 1A on each and not 2.1A on each.
Try this belkin one, its the one I am using, its good VFM and solves my purpose.
I am able to charge funbook, a blackberry, and galaxy 3 android without hassle.
Why not?
How does battery capacity matter? It can be 2500mah or 250000mah. As long as the max current drawn is less than max charging current, you should be okay. For example, 7" GPS units draw 1.1A current esp when you have external active antenna connection. Still car charger suffises.
For the note, if I have 700mA charger, my charge very slowly reduces. So I can probably last 10h. With a 1h, I expect charge to slowly hold. All these ebay chargers claim 1A, but may not be 1A. I expect funbook charger(claimed 2.1A) to give atleast 1.5A
So I was wondering about USB ports.

Speaking of Belkin. Can you run a program like Ulysses speedometer, with screen on, and see if the charge increases?
Old 19th July 2012, 22:58   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Why not?
How does battery capacity matter? It can be 2500mah or 250000mah. As long as the max current drawn is less than max charging current, you should be okay. For example, 7" GPS units draw 1.1A current esp when you have external active antenna connection. Still car charger suffises.
For the note, if I have 700mA charger, my charge very slowly reduces. So I can probably last 10h. With a 1h, I expect charge to slowly hold. All these ebay chargers claim 1A, but may not be 1A. I expect funbook charger(claimed 2.1A) to give atleast 1.5A
So I was wondering about USB ports.

Speaking of Belkin. Can you run a program like Ulysses speedometer, with screen on, and see if the charge increases?
Battery capacity matters, as it would take longer if charging Amp is less than the required or it would not charge at all and loose the power gradually.
A higher capacity battery would need more charging Amps to be able to charge.

Funbook wall charger is 1.5A only, while galaxy Tab2 one is 2Amp.

I'll check my android phone about charging while "Ulysses speedometer" runs, for best results I'll check tomorrow when I go out, as A-GPS on my phone atleast would work best when the car/phone is on move.

For funbook, as its not an A-GPS, I just ran multiple apps, music in
bag-round and browsed the web with brightness set to max and Air control game also set to running but in baground, to see if it works, my funbook battery was at 80% and remained 80% on 15 minutes run.
so if it was not able to charge, it didn't lost the juice either.
Old 19th July 2012, 23:07   #613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Battery capacity matters, as it would take longer if charging Amp is less than the required or it would not charge at all and loose the power gradually.
A higher capacity battery would need more charging Amps to be able to charge..
No
A higher capacity battery will charge in a longer time. Thats about it.
If your device consumes 1A, and you are charging with 700mA, it does not matter if your battery is 20 mAH or 20000000000000mAh
Your batter will not charge.
Charge increase in any battery happens when charging current is higher than discharge current.
With GPS and screen on the note uses ~900mA. Therefore I need 1.5A charger for fast charging even when screen and GPS on.
1A charger will give me very slow charging.

So even if the note had a 200mAH battery, it would still not charge with a 700mAH charger, if its consuming 1A current.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:17   #614
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine recently got this

Scroll Extreme Tablet PC - Tablets | Ebuyer.com

I had a chance to use it for 15-20 mins yesterday. The screen is pretty amazing and the over all experience is very nice. Considering the price of this thing, its absolute VFM. design and make quality is impressive for the price and 3D ouput

Most tabs in that range that we get here are 7".

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 20th July 2012 at 11:18.
Old 20th July 2012, 16:23   #615
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendation on Tablets for reading pdf's? Problem with cheap ones is that they have low-res screens and probably won't be as good as high-res ones to read ebooks. iPad 3 seems to have awesome resolution and great for reading but is too pricey and probably won't read pdf's directly. Am I right here? Any cheaper options which would also be good enough for reading for say atleast an hour and half?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks