Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:32   #721
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

ainolindia.com is not an official ainol store. It's just some importer who "claims" that they will provide warranty. This is just like providing dealer's warranty as advertised by many sellers on ebay who sell imported products.

As far as ainol tablets are concerned, these are better quality chinese tablets. While they don't have a high failure rate as compared to cheaper tabs, almost all ainol tablets have problems that include one or more of the following- wi-fi connectivity, battery life, screen responsiveness, dead pixels, play store, auto-rotation etc. Most of these issues are firmware related and upgrading to the latest firmware fixes most (but not all) of these issues. But overall ainol tabs have better build quality and specs than most chinese tablets.

I also own an onda V712 and it is definitely better than my ainol aurora II in terms of build quality and performance. In my opinion (having owned both) onda makes better quality tablets than ainol.
Old 3rd September 2012, 17:32   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If you don't need 3g at all, then its good enough.
I did get the ICS update, and to be fairly frank, I feel the HC was faster.
Performance is quite rapid, only slows down for games, but just a tiny bit.
For battery you really need a third party app.
On its own, the battery lasts,with ICS, for about 2 days full, with something like 2x battery installed, this goes to 3 days.
This is with ,daily, 4-5 hours of internet mostly over 3g, hour/hour n a half of movies, and mails, notes and games etc, 30 minutes of skype video.

one gripe though.
The camera, although it takes good shots, is very slow.

memory is nice.
Ive popped in a 32gb microsd card in an adpater and most of mu content is there.
Also, do get the microusb to USB converter, you can plug in an ANY device with a USB, basically any pen drive.

One major flaw with this tab though is the charger.
Its bespoke, and its a pain to carry around.
I bought this last week from Snapdeal, I am having terrible problems with wifi. My laptop, iPhone all work fine with the wifi, however the Sony simply refuses to keep its connection fine. Have tried static ip, but to no avail.
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:06   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm
I bought this last week from Snapdeal, I am having terrible problems with wifi. My laptop, iPhone all work fine with the wifi, however the Sony simply refuses to keep its connection fine. Have tried static ip, but to no avail.
huh?
thats strange. theres never been a problem with wifi on my unit. in fact,ive been having my 3g balance expire on me cos the tab didnt move out of the house much.
you have sony warranty on it,yeah? take it in.
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:08   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
ainolindia.com is not an official ainol store. It's just some importer who "claims" that they will provide warranty. This is just like providing dealer's warranty as advertised by many sellers on ebay who sell imported products.

As far as ainol tablets are concerned, these are better quality chinese tablets. While they don't have a high failure rate as compared to cheaper tabs, almost all ainol tablets have problems that include one or more of the following- wi-fi connectivity, battery life, screen responsiveness, dead pixels, play store, auto-rotation etc. Most of these issues are firmware related and upgrading to the latest firmware fixes most (but not all) of these issues. But overall ainol tabs have better build quality and specs than most chinese tablets.

I also own an onda V712 and it is definitely better than my ainol aurora II in terms of build quality and performance. In my opinion (having owned both) onda makes better quality tablets than ainol.
Thanks man! I was googling on Ainol and the wifi issue seems to be sorted out. Surprised to note that according to you Onda V712 scores higher than Aurora, since on net people are so much in awe of Ainol Aurora and Fire/Flame (to be specific). The online store seems a retailer for sure. The only advantage for me is, I can drop in at their store before buying it. I usually do Pune-Mbai every month.
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:53   #725
BHPian

I was talking about ainol aurora and elf tablets, I believe the newer ainol flame is much better and does not have most of the problems that were reported with the earlier ainols. But it's too early to say as ainol flame has been released recently, we should have a much better picture in a couple of months once there are enough long term users. My ainol aurora II had issues with wi-fi connectivity. But nothing major.

While researching, I stumbled upon another chinese brand that seems to make good quality tablets- http://www.smartqme.com/

This model sounds impressive- http://buy.smartqme.com/smartq-t30.html
Old 4th September 2012, 10:46   #726
BHPian

Quote:
huh?
thats strange. theres never been a problem with wifi on my unit. in fact,ive been having my 3g balance expire on me cos the tab didnt move out of the house much.
you have sony warranty on it,yeah? take it in.
Not sure on warranty support from Sony ( i do have the standard warranty). Their FAQ site does describe this particular problem as a problem with the ISP/Router.

Run the WiFi checker and at step 4 you will have the problem of checking the gateway and the DNS'. This will show in red and as per Sony's support site, this is my problem

We checked this with the neighbour's WiFi and it connected smoothly. What puzzles is me that multiple laptops, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy all connect well (I've been using the router since 2009 - Netgear DG834V5)

Guess I will have to take the router to "friendly neighbourhood BSNL exchange " (OMG) for a full configuration if I run out of my DIY fixes.

Last edited by polopm : 4th September 2012 at 10:48.
Old 4th September 2012, 14:04   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
... the Sony simply refuses to keep its connection fine. Have tried static ip, but to no avail.
Setting problem, I think. By default, Android drops WiFi if there is no traffic, but reconnects when an App is asking for a connection. This behavior can be switched off in Settings to ensure WiFi stays on all the time. Affects battery - the reason why Android has that default setting.

Or, is the connection dropping while a download (like page download) is going on?
Old 4th September 2012, 15:45   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Setting problem, I think. By default, Android drops WiFi if there is no traffic, but reconnects when an App is asking for a connection. This behavior can be switched off in Settings to ensure WiFi stays on all the time. Affects battery - the reason why Android has that default setting.

Or, is the connection dropping while a download (like page download) is going on?
No, it is set to 'Keep On' always as well from the start. The behaviour is erratic, I got the tablet as a 3.2 , opened it and it detected the wifi. However could not browse web pages. Surprisingly it could auto detect and within some time, the upgrade to ICS had started.

Even now, sometimes Google Play can be opened but not the browser. I had put apps like wifi fix, but the issue remains. What I can observer from the log of WiFi Fix is that the connection drops off regularly and it is fixed by the app and the whole cycle repeats. Why it doesn't happen for my tethered iPhone 2G connection is strange.
So the problem seems to be the marriage between the WiFi router and the tablet.
Old 4th September 2012, 20:58   #729
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,

Any ipad 2 seekers wake up and get online. Homeshop18 deals has ipad2 16GB wifi model going live in sometime.

superdeals.homeshop18.com/deals/apple-nikon-superdeal/?utm_source=emailer&utm_medium=Internal&utm_campai gn=superdeals&utm_content=apple-nikon
Old 4th September 2012, 21:19   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm

No, it is set to 'Keep On' always as well from the start. The behaviour is erratic, I got the tablet as a 3.2 , opened it and it detected the wifi. However could ------------------------snip-----------------------er and the tablet.
try a factory reset,maybe.
Old 4th September 2012, 22:08   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Done that as well, saw some threads in the net.

Made my wifi open without password and it looked to connect fine, changed it back to WPA2 and gone
Old 4th September 2012, 23:21   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Yipeeeeeeeeeee, got it working !!

My router is set back to age old WEP encryption and it started working like a charm. Am able to browse stuff well now.

Mods: Please delete my previous thread reply(above) as it is no longer required.
Old 7th September 2012, 01:19   #733
BHPian

Amazon announces 7 and 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDs, pricing starts at $199.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/a...indle-fire-hd/

The specs are really impressive with HD screens, front-facing HD camera, Dolby Digital Sound with 2 speakers, high-speed wi-fi .
Old 7th September 2012, 02:45   #734
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Amazon Fire HD launched.

Will come in 2 variants - 8.9" and 7"

7" updated old fire: Dual-core, 1.2GHz OMAP 4430
7" new fire hd: Dual-core, 1.2GHz OMAP 4460
8.9" new fire hd: Dual-core, 1.5GHz OMAP 4470

7" updated old fire: 1024x600
7" new fire hd: 1280x800
8.9" new fire hd: 1920x1200

Dual band antenna for wifi is interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Overall a decent effort by Amazon. I just hope their GUI is not as messed up as previous Fire. I still prefer the Nexus 7 among the entry level tablet.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:21   #735
Senior - BHPian

How is the Micromax Funbook Alpha different from the original Funbook ?

It seems Micromax is using their customers for the alpha and beta testing.

I will wait till they come up with a final production ready version.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks