Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 11:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Gtablet seems to have good hardware potential and a Honeycomb ROM seems to be stable on it as well.
Wish they start selling it in India. Is it worthwhile to import from the US via Ebay ?
Why not? Is it the import from US factor that's hindering you or the warranty issue?
Old 8th September 2011, 11:44   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Why not? Is it the import from US factor that's hindering you or the warranty issue?
Warranty (to some extent) and mainly customs issue man, since I have never done something like this. Smaller trinkets and stuff like books sail through, but I am not sure how they will deal with stuff like Tablets or laptops.
Used to wait and pick up something myself while there or ask someone close to cart it for me.
Old 8th September 2011, 11:48   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Warranty (to some extent) and mainly customs issue man, since I have never done something like this. Smaller trinkets and stuff like books sail through, but I am not sure how they will deal with stuff like Tablets or laptops.
Used to wait and pick up something myself while there or ask someone close to cart it for me.
Ebay Global Easy Buy takes care of customs et al. The quoted price is all inclusive. I've bought several perfumes from this route and all have been delivered safely and without any hassles.

Else, you could try 20North.com:International shopping from India: Gadgets, Appliances, Electronics, Home, Garden, Tools, Books, Movies, Watch, Sports, Outdoors & More... (I found them expensive) or Global Shopping: Buy from International Stores like Amazon, Victoria (ICC World - who usually are the sellers on Ebay Global). In fact SYW also has an online request form. They gave me a slightly cheaper quote of 14.9k for the gTablet.
Old 8th September 2011, 11:56   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Ebay Global Easy Buy takes care of customs et al. The quoted price is all inclusive. I've bought several perfumes from this route and all have been delivered safely and without any hassles.
In fact SYW also has an online request form. They gave me a slightly cheaper quote of 14.9k for the gTablet.
Yep, I am aware that they take care of customs, but they dont take care of stuff like Octroi. Thats what worries me a bit.
Old 8th September 2011, 15:05   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, I am aware that they take care of customs, but they dont take care of stuff like Octroi. Thats what worries me a bit.
AFAIK, they take care of everything. ICC World has their own courier service as well so they'll deliver at your doorstep.

IMO, you shouldn't be wondering about octroi anyway, being in Pune!
Old 8th September 2011, 15:23   #96
BHPian

Finally have my 32 gig Touchpads delivered at my bro's place. Should be getting them by end of the month. Can't wait after reading all the reviews

HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32GB | HP® Official Store

Also getting these official accessories:
HP Touchstone Charging Dock | HP® Official Store
HP TouchPad Case | HP® Official Store
Old 9th September 2011, 11:41   #97
Senior - BHPian

Computer peripherals maker iBall has launched its first Android tablet Slide in the Indian market priced at Rs 13,995.

Sporting a 7-inch capacitive multi-touch display, Slide has a 2 megapixel front camera, USB host and HDMI output.

iBall launches tablet @ Rs 13,995 - The Times of India
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 11:48   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Computer peripherals maker iBall has launched its first Android tablet Slide in the Indian market priced at Rs 13,995.
Seems overpriced for the specs. Especially competition seems to have similar tabs for around 10k.
Of late, we are seeing a lot of announcements about "launches" of these tablets, but hardly any are seen in the market. Whats up with that ?
Old 13th September 2011, 17:10   #99
Senior - BHPian

This is the tablet I've been waiting for! Lenovo A1 tab. A 7″ Android 2.3 $199 Android tablet. It will feature a Cortex A8 1.0 Ghz single-core processor, a 3 MP rear and 0.3 VGA front facing camera. Coming in at 11.9mm thin (0.46 inch), and weighing just 400g. Lenovo is using a magnesium alloy roll-cage internal frame design to keep the tablet strong, yet thin and light. The 7″ LED display will have a 1024 x 600 resolution.

As well as the usual Bluetooth, Wifi, micro SD, micro USB and stereo speakers one unique feature is it will have offline GPS and navigation with its unique chipset that will be powered by Navdroyd. Users can expect to see the device hit the shelves in September starting at $199 for the 16GB model and they will also offer a 32GB model but pricing has yet to be confirmed.

Lenovo A1 7″ Android Tablet Revealed | Android Community
Old 15th September 2011, 13:46   #100
BHPian

Looks like a really good deal

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1008...A8-1-2Ghz.html
Old 16th September 2011, 05:10   #101
BHPian

@blue angel: only if you are not concerned about android market. these chinese tabs don't have market accessibility.
Old 16th September 2011, 10:44   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
@blue angel: only if you are not concerned about android market. these chinese tabs don't have market accessibility.
Actually this tablet is Just A rebranded Andypad (other way round actually) which does have the market App
Old 16th September 2011, 19:26   #103
Senior - BHPian

Archos has started pre-sale of the most awaited tablet! the G9 80 and 110.

Available in 8" and 10.1" form factors and starting at $279 and $369, respectively, these tablets aren't the sluggish, resistive touchscreen slates we've come to expect. In fact, Archos is calling these the 'Fastest Tablet[s] on Earth,' thanks to the premiere of the OMAP 4460 and its two 1.5 GHz Cortex A9 cores. WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR connectivity.
Aside from mechanical storage, the tablets sport pretty standard 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 800 resolutions on their 8" and 10.1" screens, respectively. MicroSD, MicroUSB, HDMI, 802.11 b/g/n, GPS and Bluetooth are old hat port-wise, along with Archos’ expected broad media support including OGG Vorbis, FLAC, and every imaginable video container. The slates lack rear-facing cameras but do sport 720p front-facing cameras for HD video chatting.

For $299, Archos will sell you their 8GB 80 G9, but for the bargain price you lose the clockspeed advantage of the OMAP 4460; this SKU nets you its little brother-- OMAP 4430 -- and its 1.0 GHz cores. An additional $30, though, nets you 16GB of flash storage and the full 1.5 GHz processor. Tack on another $40 and you've bought yourself that additional 250GB of mechanical storage. For the 101 G9, you've got to splurge for the $469 SKU to get the OMAP 4460, though relative to the Xoom it remains a bargain given the clockspeed and storage advantages. The 8GB and 16GB flash versions both get the 1.0 GHz processor at $369 and $399, respectively.

Last edited by theragingbull : 16th September 2011 at 19:27.
Old 18th September 2011, 13:54   #104
BHPian

Hi all, need to help in deciding which tablet PC to get for myself.

I currently have an ipad2 and a desktop in my office. The ipad stays in the office for presentations and product demos and is being used by 3-4 sales staff. I also have a small eeepc from Asus which is really slow and is a pain to carry around. I travel about 7-10 days a month within India and abroad. I would love to ditch the netbook and replace it with a tablet since they are easier to carry around.

I currently use a BB bold2 on the unlimited data plan but will be upgrading to a bold 4 next week. I really dont think its worth having 2 sims for 3g (tablet and bold), i rather use one data plan for both devices.

I have narrowed down the following devices:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Archos 101 G9 250gb
Blackberry Playbook

I will be using the tablet for movies, music, carry and disply data on MS office and surfing the internet.

I would also like to know if my phone with an unlimited data plan can connect to the tablet so i can surf on a bigger screen.

Please let me know what is best for my application. I will be in Shanghai and HK next week so i can pick up the archos from there if required for less than 500 USD.

thanks.
Old 18th September 2011, 15:23   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
Hi all, need to help in deciding which tablet PC to get for myself.

I currently have an ipad2 and a desktop in my office. The ipad stays in the office for presentations and product demos and is being used by 3-4 sales staff. I also have a small eeepc from Asus which is really slow and is a pain to carry around. I travel about 7-10 days a month within India and abroad. I would love to ditch the netbook and replace it with a tablet since they are easier to carry around.

I currently use a BB bold2 on the unlimited data plan but will be upgrading to a bold 4 next week. I really dont think its worth having 2 sims for 3g (tablet and bold), i rather use one data plan for both devices.

I have narrowed down the following devices:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Archos 101 G9 250gb
Blackberry Playbook

I will be using the tablet for movies, music, carry and disply data on MS office and surfing the internet.

I would also like to know if my phone with an unlimited data plan can connect to the tablet so i can surf on a bigger screen.

Please let me know what is best for my application. I will be in Shanghai and HK next week so i can pick up the archos from there if required for less than 500 USD.

thanks.
Also do check out the ASUS Eee pad transformer. Its a true laptop replacement, with full docking keyboard for when you have to type, and that 16 hour battery backup is the icing on the cake. 2 friends have this and are very happy with it. It has USB ports as well which can read an external HDD.

There is no 3G however but if you can tether your mobile data connection, that also is taken care of.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 18th September 2011 at 15:27.

Most Viewed