Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 22:41   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
She will be using it as her sole phone as well as tablet.
I bought a 7" dual sim 'phone' recently. The battery life sucks and it's inconvenient to carry around. Call quality isn't as clear as on a Nokia and a bluetooth headset is recommended.

Now, other than that the device is amazing. Text typing with thumbs is pretty good, as I am posting this from the same device. Reading documents or messages is a breeze due to the large screen.
Old 20th May 2013, 09:54   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
How are the following deals?
Blackberry playbook 32GB Wifi only, 16 months old for 8.5K
Motorola Xoom 4G LTE, 32 GB (with 8GB SD card), 13 months old for 11K?
Bought both the tablets. Now, we have three at home (Note 10.1 bought earlier) and can do some comparisons.

First impressions:

Yesterday we played around with Nexus 7, Micromax Funbook and Karbonn A37 at a local mall.
So, I can say confidently that Playbook has got extremely good build quality.
It feels heavy and well-weighted. I need to search for a protective case to prevent damage from accidental drops - since my son will be using this.
The screen quality and sound quality are both good - and the battery also appears to be strong at the moment.
The OS experience is better than Android - I have used Android on several devices from 2.1 --> 4.1.2.
Also, the OS is probably more suitable for those who would not like to tinker around much- e.g. kids and the elderly.

Had to do a security wipe of the Playbook (BBPB) last evening, since I wanted it to be associated with my newly created BBID.
Standard micro-USB -> USB cable works fine and my laptop was able to see the 32 GB hard disk. Copied over all the folders just in case there was something wrong.
Installed lot of educational games from the BB App store - there is enough free content for now - of course, Temple Run and Subway surfer will be missed - haven't done any side-loading so far.

One sure difference I have noticed is that typing on the Playbook virtual keyboard is more fun than on any Android. This is probably due to some feedback that you get on each key press. It is really something that Android should try.

After wipe, there was a 300+ MB update and after that there was another 50 MB update.
I have a feeling that touch has become less responsive after this wipe -earlier was much better, but I will have to reboot and see.
The 5mp camera is good and so is the front camera.
One sure negative is that the boot up of the device takes close to a minute.
I have not figured out how to sent files via Bluetooth so far.

Coming to the Xoom, I have not used it much. The tablet has nothing on it, except what comes default with it. I intend to give it to my parents who might benefit from the large size and quick boots.
Again, build quality is good and the hardware is powerful for Android 4.0.4 which is currently installed. There is no official Jelly Bean going to come for this model (Wifi only - earlier I was informed it was 4G/ LTE, but that was incorrect). Sound output is little less than the Playbook but perhaps more than the Note 10.1
The 5mp camera is good.

One sure negative is that the screen has lot of reflections/ glare. So, watching videos in day time will not be easy - it is like Plasma TV where the glass reflects everything. I am not sure if the screen guard is adding to the reflections.

The tablet came with an 8 GB micro SDCard - which is currently unused.

In comparison to Note 10.1, the Xoom display appears a little less bright (perhaps I have to play around with the brightness settings). However the display quality (played some HD videos) is very good. Also, there is enough power with the tablet as was evident when I was fast forwarding the HD movies.
Both the Playbook and the Xoom have micro-HDMI output which is missing in the Samsung Note 10.1.
Old 20th May 2013, 14:06   #1233
BANNED

Finally, got the much awaited Note 510 a.k.a. Note 8.0. I had to wait this long thanks to the sparse availability of this tablet and the lack of demo unit at all the places that actually had it. Finally made up mind to get without a demo, but was pleasantly surprised to see one at Samsung Smart cafe.

Got a really good deal (The best price on Net right now). The guy even allowed to open the box & check for defects before billing.
I was tempted to buy the Note 10.1 last month with the cash back offer but now I got this at a similar price which I consider to be a more usable device .
Have no use for the 3G Radio right now. Samsung should offer the wi-fi only version as well in India

Finding it hard to let go off the device since last evening. It is the perfect size for nearly all tasks & quick as anything that is on the market right now. S-pen is far from a gimmick Whole of this post has been written using S-pen
Old 20th May 2013, 16:30   #1234

If anyone looking for a cheap but decent tablet, buy the Olive Pad V-TW 100

http://www.shopclues.com/olivepad-v-tw100-7.html

Use Coupn Code : SCICICI10 for futher 300/- discount.

With shipping cost would be 2748/-, which makes it cheapest 7 inch Tab in the market.

Good tablet, body is plastic but looks decent, smooth touch and best thing is the battery, gives more than 5 hours on nonstop usage, with no strings attached.

I have earlier used, the Funbook, Veedee D10, Penta IS709C and the Veedee E10, The Olive beats the others in performance.
Old 20th May 2013, 20:49   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Guys I have pre-ordered ASUS fonepad for 14,700/- INR for wifey, and the phone cum pad is supposed to arrive after 5 days.

What is your opinion on this.
She will be using it as her sole phone as well as tablet.
Looking forward to book/pre-order a fonepad for myself. Please let me know, from where you pre-booked it?

Thanks in advance !!
Old 20th May 2013, 21:45   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Looking forward to book/pre-order a fonepad for myself. Please let me know, from where you pre-booked it?

Thanks in advance !!
I prebooked it at ASUS brand shop Mysore through my boss. Will be getting the phone sometime this week.
Old 20th May 2013, 22:50   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post

Hi GrammarNazi

Did you pick this up from Saholic? Also can you pls update regarding the front camera performance for Skype / Gtalk video calls? (I know you might not have got the delivery yet).
I am also quite keen on ordering this, but basically need assurance of wi-fi connectivity ease and skype quality.

Thanks

Hi! Just received it this evening. Browsed abit. Btw, the cameras, both front and back, are crap (compared to my iPad or even MMX A110 ).

I did some benchmark tests with nenamark 2. Attached screenshots of result.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130520_224251.png
Views: 784
Size:  261.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130520_224241.png
Views: 744
Size:  266.4 KB

Also, should I attach screen-shot of the 'About Tab' in the Settings, would it be safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

That tablet is a hit or miss, depending on your luck. Be prepared with the address of the service center. Lot of users on Desidime have reported that something goes wrong after a day or two. The hardware is powerful, but the tablet reliability is a big question. Not suitable for gifting to your loved ones.
As you said, going by the tests, the hardware seems to be doing a good job... its working fine today, fingers crossed now on.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 20th May 2013 at 23:00.
Old 20th May 2013, 23:14   #1238
BHPian

Guys, though i will be putting it in classifieds but just a heads up.

I have sparingly used 32 gb BB Playbook. Bought from Canada. I didnt like it much and have bought a Nexus 7. It has a leather cover , HDMI cable, wall charger , BB sleeve and two screen protectors (one already applied). It is scratch less and in immaculate condition.

I am sending it back to India with my mom next month and can be picked up from Delhi.
Please spread the word in case you know someone interested. Asking price 6000 Rs.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:59   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi! Just received it this evening. Browsed abit. Btw, the cameras, both front and back, are crap (compared to my iPad or even MMX A110 ).

As you said, going by the tests, the hardware seems to be doing a good job... its working fine today, fingers crossed now on.
Thanks Mate! I almost missed this post as randomly PM's are not getting generated for posts which quote me.

Well my primary requirement (as listed before) is video calling (primarily Skype). Can you check that too and let me know when possible?

Currently wondering between iberry coreX43G, Spice Stellar 10.1 & Zync Quad 9.7.

The general feedback is that these are primarily hit or miss, though the feedback from jkdas reg iberry is quite positive.

Thanks.
Old 21st May 2013, 13:21   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post

Thanks Mate! I almost missed this post as randomly PM's are not getting generated for posts which quote me.

Well my primary requirement (as listed before) is video calling (primarily Skype). Can you check that too and let me know when possible?

Currently wondering between iberry coreX43G, Spice Stellar 10.1 & Zync Quad 9.7.

The general feedback is that these are primarily hit or miss, though the feedback from jkdas reg iberry is quite positive.

Thanks.
Tried Skype, it doesn't lag or anything but although it can be used for basic communication its nothing gr8. The opposite person gets a dark & grainy image, but voice is absolutely clear.

Issues are there, like already it stopped detecting Wi-Fi twice and I had to restart it to make it work. But nothing more, the display/resolution is excellent and very convenient for watching YouTube videos or browsing.

At 8.5k, if it continues doing as much as it does, then its a steal.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 21st May 2013 at 13:25.
Old 21st May 2013, 14:13   #1241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
Guys, though i will be--------------------------------SNIP--------------e you know someone interested. Asking price 6000 Rs.
By the by, How is the asking price(6k) for this tablet?
Not too high, i hope.
Old 21st May 2013, 17:31   #1242
BHPian

Hi,

am looking for a decent tablet to give my wife, something in the 7" space.

came across this item when searching online, has anyone any experince in the products fo this company.

http://www.ainolindia.com/ainol-tabl...elly-bean.html

http://www.ainolindia.com/
Old 26th May 2013, 12:55   #1243
BHPian

Has anybody used http://www.snapdeal.com/product/simm...g-tab/1368716?
Old 26th May 2013, 13:30   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
You can look at the entry level ones from Micromax. They cost 4-4.5K and are pretty easily available. Before getting it, just make sure your mom is okay with the fact that the experience with it won't be anywhere near the iPad Mini. Screen would be a little inferior, poor viewing angles, colors,etc, a little slower touch.
But the given usage would be pretty easy on the tablet. All of these tablet under 5K would be 7inch with WVGA Resolution

At about 8K following options:
try if you can find this tablet in the market:
http://www.saholic.com/tablets/karbo...-tab-8-1005618

It is out of stock at most places but at under 7k, it is gem of a tablet.

If you want 10 inch screen a great option is this for 8.5K
http://www.saholic.com/tablets/spice...i-1010-1005572
But is it really worth to spend money on an unknown brand. I do not know much about it . Can you explain. I personally prefer at least Samsung for that matter over other brands like Micromax, spice etc.

Can someone tell me how good is the below mentioned one:

http://www.flipkart.com/hcl-me-u2-ta...BDGGQ6NA9QHZZY

Also please someone suggest which would be the best tablet for my usage which mostly comprises browsing only. The primary thing is that the browsing should be free from any lags. Gaming is minimal and also i am least bothered about the camera stuff etc. I am bit worried about the low internal memory that comes in the basic tabs. Is 4GB quiet ok for glitch free browsing.

http://www.flipkart.com/iball-slide-...4-4c105153b2d8

The above tab from iball seems to be very good but really don't know the quality and reliability.

Last edited by rki2007 : 26th May 2013 at 13:55.
Old 27th May 2013, 10:44   #1245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
But is it really worth to spend money on an unknown brand. I do not know much about it . Can you explain. I personally prefer at least Samsung for that matter over other brands like Micromax, spice etc.

Can someone tell me how good is the below mentioned one:

http://www.flipkart.com/hcl-me-u2-ta...BDGGQ6NA9QHZZY

Also please someone suggest which would be the best tablet for my usage which mostly comprises browsing only. The primary thing is that the browsing should be free from any lags. Gaming is minimal and also i am least bothered about the camera stuff etc. I am bit worried about the low internal memory that comes in the basic tabs. Is 4GB quiet ok for glitch free browsing.

http://www.flipkart.com/iball-slide-...4-4c105153b2d8

The above tab from iball seems to be very good but really don't know the quality and reliability.
These brands, especially ones like Micromax and Spice are not unknown brands. Spice has been around for more than 5 years and Micromax has also been around for about 3 years(or more).
I think it would be nice to know that Micromax is infact in one of the top 10-12 manufacturers of Phones/Tablets worldwide.

Let me put it to you this way, Samsung earns at least 40% profit over every product it sells, while companies like Micromax sell a somewhat similar product at lower product margins. For eg:My sister bought a phone for 6K, a leak online reveals that Micromax only maked Rs 600 profit per phone sold on that mobile.

Of course cost cutting mainly comes because MMX doesn't do big software development, where as Samsung puts out heavily skinned Android devices. Now don't think I am against any one of these.
I have a Spice Mobile, an MMX mobile and just bought a Samsung Tablet.

Reliability is never guaranteed in devices like these. But what you can expect is a little easier resolution of problems in case of Samsung etc.

Also, things like a spare battery for MMX is not easily available in the open market, so you have to visit one of(the many many) service centers. The MMX mobile I bought busted the battery after about 7 months, just after the battery warranty ran out. But otherthan that the device runs great. My Spice has had no problems on its own, only because of me thrashing it, it is waiting for a replacement screen.

Things go wrong even in Samsung, Nokia etc. On my Dad's Nokia, suddenly one day, the Camera developed a major problem. So expect anything to go wrong.

That being said, for your case, the options that I listed above are nearly the best right now, there is also one from LAVA which comes with a dual core processor. You should look for a dual core processor and at least Jelly Bean OS, if you plan to use the device for the next couple of years.

If you really want the Samsung just for the sake of piece of Mind, look at the its entry level tablet, it is available as low as RS 8500/- at some websites. The model no. is P3110 . It is a reasonably priced tablet, but as I said before the heavily skinned UI from Samsung can bog it down ocassionally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks