Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 14:22   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
My job profile : Business Development. I travel extensively.
My Need :
- a tablet with a detachable keyboard.
- Microsoft office - excel, ppt, word.
- Outlook (not webmail).
- 10" screen size.
- 3G or not..doesn't matter much. I can make my phone a hotspot and use on WiFi.

The one that most suited this need was the Microsoft Surface Pro. But many reviews online did not really confirm that I could use it as a replacement to a laptop.
I think Surface Pro suits your need - though it is quite expensive.
In Finland Verkkokauppa sells the 128GB version for 1000 Euros. Add another 100+ Euros for the type cover and you are all set.

Alternative is to wait for some time for ATIV Q from Samsung.
http://www.usdailyvoice.com/samsung-...ennisryan.html
Old 26th August 2013, 14:29   #1307
BANNED

Quote:
The one that most suited this need was the Microsoft Surface Pro. But many reviews online did not really confirm that I could use it as a replacement to a laptop.
I haven't used one - but that's the whole point of the Microsoft tablets - to be used as replacement for laptops. So I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to use it as one. And if you need Microsoft Office and Microsoft Outlook, it's probably the best option for you.
Old 26th August 2013, 14:31   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I think Surface Pro suits your need - though it is quite expensive.
In Finland Verkkokauppa sells the 128GB version for 1000 Euros. Add another 100+ Euros for the type cover and you are all set.

Alternative is to wait for some time for ATIV Q from Samsung.
http://www.usdailyvoice.com/samsung-...ennisryan.html
Read the review on the Surface Pro in this months T3 and was most disappointed to say the least. According to the article, "Windows 8 is still waiting for a hero product". Since I am a windows fan, decided to wait some more time for the (rumored) launch of the Surface 2 which promises to address all the drawbacks of the Surface RT and Pro at a much more reasonable price point.
Old 27th August 2013, 16:47   #1309
BHPian

Nexus 7 2013 from Amazon US

Well, I was waiting to get a nice powerful tablet and the new Nexus 7 2013 seemed to fit my requirements to the T!

Review - AnandTech

Review - GSMArena

I searched around and found that this is expected to reach India only by the end of 2013... so decided to pick it up online from Amazon US.

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-nexux-7-2013.jpg

I know, the 5k paid as import duty sounds exorbitant! But unless you have an option of getting it from the US by hand (yourself or a friend) you can't really avoid the customs duty...

Take the Nexus 7 2012 16GB Wifi version (at India launch) for example..

US Launch Price - $199
USD conversion rate (Oct 2012) - 53
Effective INR conversion price - 10,500
Official India Launch Price - INR 15,999
Total price mark up including - 5499 ( 52%)
(profit, customs & freight)

So if we expect a similar markup on the new Nexus 7 2013 16GB Wifi version at the time of its official India Launch...

US Launch Price - $229
USD conversion rate (current) - 66
Effective INR conversion price - 15,100
Expected price mark up including - 52%
(profit, customs & freight)
Expected India Launch Price - INR 22,999

So unless Google decides to get super agressive with its India price, I guess I might even have saved a bit

Expected delivery for my order is between Sept 11th to 18th!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Google and Asus seem to have done a stellar job with the new Nexus 7!

It now gets a 1920*1200 display (323 ppi) in the same 7" form factor. RAM has been doubled to 2GB, the processor is faster, a 5 MP rear camera, wireless charging and a slim port have been added while wi-fi is now dual band.

The biggest flaw of the original Nexus 7 was the absolutely terrible sound. This seems to be addressed now with stereo speakers belting out surround sound powered by Fraunhofer.

A regressive step is downgrading the battery capacity from 4325 mAh to 3950 mAh. The original Nexus7's battery life was already poor, so this should be even worse with the upgraded specs.

It's priced starting at $229 in the US, which is excellent value for money for the specs on offer. It remains to be seen when, and for how much it will be available in India. The current one is now sold for Rs.16k on the Play store. Come on Google, please stick to the value for money pricing for the new one as well.

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/

Last edited by vikash49 : 27th August 2013 at 16:51.
Old 27th August 2013, 16:57   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nexus 7 2013 from Amazon US

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Well, I was waiting to get a nice powerful tablet and the new Nexus 7 2013 seemed to fit my requirements to the T!

Review - AnandTech

Review - GSMArena

I searched around and found that this is expected to reach India only by the end of 2013... so decided to pick it up online from Amazon US.

Attachment 1129979

I know, the 5k paid as import duty sounds exorbitant! But unless you have an option of getting it from the US by hand (yourself or a friend) you can't really avoid the customs duty...

Expected delivery for my order is between Sept 11th to 18th!!!!
This is the good part about Amazon. "IMPORT FEES DEPOSIT" If they customs works out cheaper than what they have charged you, it will be refunded back to your credit card. Last year i ordered a HDMI transmitter and they charged me 2500/- as deposit and eventually the gadget was cleared for 1250/- and balance amount was refunded.

Regards,
Old 27th August 2013, 20:20   #1311
BHPian

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Kids

Samsung has announced a new Android tablet in its portfolio but unlike other tablets it will exclusively be targeted to children. As we all have seen around us, whether we want or not children are using technology more than ever and so children-specific products do make sense.

“We saw an opportunity to create a device just for kids that provides them with an intuitive, fun and kid-friendly user experience filled with rich, interactive and educational content that parents will love,” said JK Shin, CEO and Head of IT & Mobile Communication at Samsung Electronics.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Kids comes with a 7-inh 1024x600p resolution display, 1.2GHz dual-core processor, Android 4.1, 3MP rear camera, 1.3MP front camera and 4,000 mAh battery. It also packs 1GB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage and microSD card slot.

The tablet comes pre-loaded with kid’s apps and brand new Kid’s Store. Pre-loaded content includes educational, games, entertainment and e-book apps. The tablet also offers parents the ability to select the apps they want their kids to have access to using the Application Manager.

Source: http://www.androidos.in
Attached Thumbnails
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-kids1.jpg  

Old 28th August 2013, 16:46   #1312
Senior - BHPian

16GB version of Nexus 7 is available @ 10.8K - amazon.in
for HDFC card holders
Old 29th August 2013, 09:24   #1313
BANNED

How is Asus service in India? Also how is the Asus Memo Pad ME172V as a tablet. Most of these tablets including the Nexus 7 have a Micro USB not a regular USB. How would I connect a Reliance Netconnect or something to it? Is there a Micro to regular USB adapter. How much does it cost?
Old 29th August 2013, 11:06   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What other options do you think will suit my need?

I am on the lookout for suggestions/comments on this.

Thanks in advance.
Did you consider tablet cum tablets like Lenovo YOGA Ideapad?
Old 29th August 2013, 11:27   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am selling my almost brand new scratchless Google Nexus 10. I am willing to trade it with an iPad 4 since it will be mostly used by my mother or sell it for money and buy an iPad.

I have posted it in the forum classifieds. Will post the link once it is active.

The listing in active now

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...or-sale/33214/

Last edited by extreme_torque : 29th August 2013 at 11:36.
Old 29th August 2013, 18:10   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Any recommendations for a good quality ipad mini cover upto 1500?

Targus seems perfect, however difficult to find.
The price is above 2K if I remember correctly. You can find it at Reliance's electronic store in sony world jun. koramangala.
Old 29th August 2013, 19:44   #1317
BHPian

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab II?

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" tablet (Refurbished) is available for $199/- (Approx. INR 13K) in Walmart today. The sale ends today.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Ga...roduct+Reviews

Please provide your experience with this tablet. Would this be a good buy for this price?
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:42   #1318
BANNED

Any opinions as to how good or bad ASUS service is in India? Their Website doesn't even list the tablet as on of product choices in the service center page.
Old 7th September 2013, 21:15   #1319
BHPian

Folks with Samsung tab 10.1,

I am unable to charge my tab from the usual car charger. The battery remains crossed with a red cross when I attach it to a car charger.

Today someone told me that a Dual Charger will solve the problem. I am at my wit's end.

Can you guide me please on the way forward.
Old 7th September 2013, 22:53   #1320
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Folks with Samsung tab 10.1,

I am unable to charge my tab from the usual car charger. The battery remains crossed with a red cross when I attach it to a car charger.

Today someone told me that a Dual Charger will solve the problem. I am at my wit's end.

Can you guide me please on the way forward.
A samsung tablet requires at least 1A current from USB port to charge. So, look at the rating(most probably it wud be 0.5 A).

If possible, buy a new charger with 2A rating(same as the supplied wall charger.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks