Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 17:08   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Thats an awesome deal carboy. Does the nexus 7 come in 16 GB 3G model or only in 32GB 3G?
3G variant only in 32GB.

16GB wifi
32GB wifi
32GB wifi + 3G
Old 28th September 2013, 10:04   #1352
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
3G variant only in 32GB.

16GB wifi
32GB wifi
32GB wifi + 3G
Is 16 GB enough storage for a tablet? Can the storage in the Nexus 7 be extended by other ways - SD card etc? Can the extended storage be used for app install or for app data area?
Old 28th September 2013, 11:00   #1353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is 16 GB enough storage for a tablet? Can the storage in the Nexus 7 be extended by other ways - SD card etc? Can the extended storage be used for app install or for app data area?
Strictly for media purposes, it can never be enough! I have a GNex with 16GB capacity and even when totally empty just shows about 13.3GB of space. So factor in that too - user accessible memory. AFAIK Nexus 7 (2012) doesn't have a expandable storage. Though there is a workaround.

Not a tidy solution but you can use a OTG cable + flash drive and load content using this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en

No root required.
Old 28th September 2013, 11:01   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nexus 7 doesnt have SD card slot. So if you are planning to use it a lot of media and stuff, i would personally recon you go for 32GB version.

There is a diff of about 4k between the 2, i say invest that 4k.
Old 30th September 2013, 09:53   #1355
BANNED

I have been going back and forth about a tablet choice in the last few weeks. The only firm decision I have made is to go for a 7". And (more or less) narrowed it down to 2 tablets
http://www.flipkart.com/tablet/compa...BDNGSUTBGZTFKT

The 2012 Nexus 7 for 10K & Asus Memo pad ME172V for 6K.

The tablet is going to be used mostly for browsing. Occasionally games (simple ones like Pacman etc). Sometimes for Youtube song videos. Never for watching a movie - never for fancy games. Atleast not that I am envisaging now.

- Both of them use 802.11 b/g/n for Wifi - is this a problem? Some people report able to get wifi if the router is in a different room. I wondering if this a US specific issue with huge houses. Because my phone also uses 802.11 b/g/n & it's OK from the other room. The Wifi signal is shown by a dot and 3 bars. With door closed, I can get surely a dot from the other room. And atleast 1 bar from most parts of the room & 2 bars also in 50% of the room. So will having 802.11 be an issue. Is the Wifi in Nexus 7 or in the Memopad weak?

- There are lot of reports of the 2012 Nexus 7 having other Wifi issues - frequent connects/disconnects. Can anyone owning a 2012 Nexus report?

- The processor - Memopad is 1 GHz VIA WM8950 and the Nexus 7 NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad Core. How much of a difference will this make for my needs?

- Asus has less storage (8GB) but has expandable 32 GB (I think this is through micro SD). Nexus has more storage (16 GB) but no SD card. But other posts here say that you can use OTG & flash if needed - how much would OTG + flash cost.

- Don't care about camera at all.

- Anything other issue I should consider?

- If there was a 7" Samsung I could consider, I would blindly go for it, but there doesn't seem to be one around 10K.

Last edited by carboy : 30th September 2013 at 09:58.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:02   #1356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- There are lot of reports of the 2012 Nexus 7 having other Wifi issues - frequent connects/disconnects. Can anyone owning a 2012 Nexus report?
I own a Gen-1 Nexus-7 (2012 Wifi Version). So I can talk about it. Never faced any Wifi issue till date. The tablet is quite snappy. Display was never a strong point for the Gen-1 Nexus. I just needed a functional tablet (display was not a priority) and it does that to perfection. And at the same is on the latest OS version.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:10   #1357
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Display was never a strong point for the Gen-1 Nexus. I just needed a functional tablet (display was not a priority) and it does that to perfection. And at the same is on the latest OS version.
Is the display bad? In what way? One of the reasons I am leaning towards Nexus 7 over the Memopad is because of a higher resolution (1280 x 800 vs 1024 x 600)?

Another question is - if this is going to be used at home only - is a sticker necessary. I noticed my phone's touch response is marginally diminished by the sticker. Also is some kind of protective casing required for regular use?

Last edited by carboy : 30th September 2013 at 10:24.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:41   #1358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is the display bad? In what way? One of the reasons I am leaning towards Nexus 7 over the Memopad is because of a higher resolution (1280 x 800 vs 1024 x 600)?
Its not bad. But what I meant is dont expect Retina/AMOLED quality display. Its just the basic LCD one.
Old 30th September 2013, 11:35   #1359
Team-BHP Support

I own the Nexus7, which I got in April / May '13. And like you, I am not a heavy user at all. Its mostly Kindle and email.

Quote:
Wifi - is this a problem? - There are lot of reports of the 2012 Nexus 7 having other Wifi issues - frequent connects/disconnects. Can anyone owning a 2012 Nexus report?
No, it is not. I use the tab in all three rooms of my house. The wifi router is a 6 year old Beetel thing (default with Airtel broadband). While the strength of the signal does wary, there has never been a zero signal solution. This is also consistent with my laptop.

Quote:
- The processor - Memopad is 1 GHz VIA WM8950 and the Nexus 7 NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad Core. How much of a difference will this make for my needs?
The N4 & N7 are by far the most fluidic and zero lag Andriod devices that I have seen.

Quote:
- If there was a 7" Samsung I could consider, I would blindly go for it, but there doesn't seem to be one around 10K.
The N7 is definitely leagues ahead of the Samsung tabs in terms of performance.
Old 30th September 2013, 11:40   #1360
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The wifi router is a 6 year old Beetel thing (default with Airtel broadband).
I have a 6 year old Starcomm BSNLOne Type 4 modem which I am currently using with my Airtel Connection. That's why I was a little worried. It works fine with my laptop and phone.
Quote:
The N7 is definitely leagues ahead of the Samsung tabs in terms of performance.
The reason for Samsung is because Samsung service is very good. I have no idea about Asus service.

Anyway, I just ordered the Nexus 7 off flipkart. 10K is a steal.
Do you have any screen sticker, protective cases etc. Is it necessarary for purely home use?
Old 30th September 2013, 11:47   #1361
Team-BHP Support

I have a protective case, but no protective screen.

N7 @ 10K is a good deal ? Is it the 16GB Wifi version ?
Old 30th September 2013, 11:51   #1362
BANNED

Quote:
I have a protective case, but no protective screen.
N7 @ 10K is a good deal ? Is it the 16GB Wifi version ?
Yes. It was first discounted by Amazon to 12K (and for a few days had a further 10% off with HDFC CC). Now it's out of stock at amazon, but Flipkart recently discounted it to 10K. Probably because the newer Nexus 7 may be releasing soon in India.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:21   #1363
Senior - BHPian

@carboy: Go for Nexus 7. 16 GB is enough for your needs. The only way to fill that up quickly is if you save a lot of movies. On that screen, a 700 DVD RIP will look very good. Anything higher (read: bigger file) is pointless.
If you are not going to dump movies, then it will take a long time for you to fill up the 11 GB or so space that you will get to use.
My wife's Note 10.1 also has 16 GB built in (I had put a 16 GB mSD card as well).
It has so far used about 4.5 GB. Free space is around 7 GB now. She downloads lot of youtube videos/ educational stuff and games.
I removed the microSD card recently since it was a waste keeping it in there.
Also, tabs typically have a better WiFi reception than phones, due to the bigger size.
Worst case, you will have to upgrade your WiFi router to something newer and faster (say 802.11n).
Old 30th September 2013, 17:44   #1364
BHPian

Quote:

Yes. It was first discounted by Amazon to 12K (and for a few days had a further 10% off with HDFC CC). Now it's out of stock at amazon, but Flipkart recently discounted it to 10K. Probably because the newer Nexus 7 may be releasing soon in India.
Please share your eXperience once you receive, i am keenly wAtching
Old 30th September 2013, 22:01   #1365
BHPian

Looking out for a 7inch tab with 3g facility for my dad. He needs the tab mostly to read mails and browsing. My budget is upto 20k. Only the galaxy tab 3 and the asus fonepad fall within the budget, leaving aside the other "Chinese " brands. After reading reviews and going through the specs i am inclined towards the fonepad because of its higher resolution and lower price tag of 13.5k. But i am not sure about the performance of the intel atom processor . Are there any serious issues with the fonepad? I have heard about sluggish performance with both the tab 3 and fonepad. Which tab will be offer smooth performance and good signal reception since my dad will not have patience with a laggy device.

Appreciate any help in this..

Most Viewed