Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 23:17   #1456
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Please avoid all Windows RT tablets. All these tablets are on their last legs given that X86 based tablets are getting launched at lower prices.

Check out Dell Venue 8 Pro or something which runs BayTrail processors.

Android and ios based tablets will always have the advantage due to no. of apps and games that can downloaded. I have a BB playbook which otherwise is very good in all aspects but there are very few apps and hardly any games. And things are not that better at Microsoft regarding apps/games.
Old 17th December 2013, 10:57   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Android and ios based tablets will always have the advantage due to no. of apps and games that can downloaded. I have a BB playbook which otherwise is very good in all aspects but there are very few apps and hardly any games. And things are not that better at Microsoft regarding apps/games.
Correct. But once x86 based tablets become commonplace, which I expect to happen during 2014 and 2015, the app advantage goes off. The Bay Trail processor at sub $400 will be a game changer. Just imagine having a laptop in a Nexus 7 / iPad mini form factor, with all the goodness of Legacy Windows + Windows RT. iOS still has to mature, with a good file management system et al. By the time iOS and Android catches up with Windows, it will be too late.

Only way Apple can catch up with Windows then is to have the Mac OS on iPad. Android will be left alone with no Desktop OS calibre software. I strongly believe this is what is going to happen.
Old 19th December 2013, 11:49   #1458
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got the Nexus 7 delivered. Purchased from Flipkart for Rs7999. At this price feel its awesome value for money. It upgraded to 4.4.2 as soon as I switched it on. One interesting thing noted was that it was a Jan 2013 imported piece. Leads me to believe that Flipkart imported a huge bunch of these and were unable to sell as expected. Which could be why they were offering it at such a low price.

I bought this for a family member who is not familiar with these things and needs helps to learn. So the device is expected to be with me for a few days. I was thinking of getting one for myself, but after 2-3 hours with it, could not identify a real use case for a 7 inch tablet (for myself. I use a Nexus 4 and have a Kindle). So guess I have been right in keeping away from the tablet world for now. Maybe if and when I want one, a 10 inch tab would be ideal. or maybe a Windows tab like the Dell Venue Pro.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th December 2013 at 11:51. Reason: More content
Old 21st December 2013, 23:37   #1459
Senior - BHPian

I took delivery of the 2013 Nexus 7 32GB 3G version from Flipkart yesterday. The experience so far has been amazing especially the display and the responsiveness. It got the 4.4.2 Kitkat update as soon I started the wifi and today went a bought a reliance 3G prepaid connection. Hoping it works out well. I believe Reliance has the cheapest 3G tariffs in Mumbai or is there anybody else cheaper.
Old 23rd December 2013, 14:47   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I took delivery of the 2013 Nexus 7 32GB 3G version from Flipkart yesterday. The experience so far has been e simg especially the display and the responsiveness. It got the 4.4.2 Kitkat update as soon I started the wifi and today went a bought a reliance 3G prepaid connection. Hoping it works out well. I believe Reliance has the cheapest 3G tariffs in Mumbai or is there anybody else cheaper.
My bro too just took delivery of the 2013 nexus 7 tab 32gb wifi. Have to admit, its one amazing piece of hardware. Personally I never understood the point of a tablet so far, but after experiencing the web browsing and movie watching pleasure of a tablet, I decided I just needed to get one for myself too. Got hold of a slightly used galaxy tab 2, and though the screen just doesnt compare to the nexus, it gets my job done, apart from costing less than half of a nexus.
But of course, a tablet has its shortcomings, and typing out long messages on a tablet's screen is frustrating
Getting myself a mid-range laptop sometime next month.

And yea, Reliance has the cheapest 3G tariff at 123 bucks per GB. Im using a reliance sim for my tab too
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:29   #1461
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post
But of course, a tablet has its shortcomings, and typing out long messages on a tablet's screen is frustrating
Get the Swype keyboard (this is an app, not hardware).

My HTC phone has a free trace keyboard similar to Swype & typing long messages is a breeze with that. Swype is a paid app which supposed to be much better than the free trace keyboard with HTC. But I think there are other similar free apps similar to Swype which are free.

Swype has a free trial - download an try that.

Last edited by carboy : 23rd December 2013 at 16:54.
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:44   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post
You can try a Bluetooth Keyboard. Its size is similar to a TV Remote and it takes care of typing with a Tablet. There are some covers that have a built-in keyboard as well.

With this, your tablet "might" be able to do job of laptop if apps that you need are available for tablet.
Old 24th December 2013, 09:47   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Get the Swype keyboard (this is an app, not hardware).

My HTC phone has a free trace keyboard similar to Swype & typing long messages is a breeze with that. Swype is a paid app which supposed to be much better than the free trace keyboard with HTC. But I think there are other similar free apps similar to Swype which are free.

Swype has a free trial - download an try that.
Yep, Samsung devices too have this feature inbuilt, they call it sliding finger input or something like that. The problem is, it doesnt work very well when typing in Hindi. Though the device will eventually learn my lingo, it still involves typing out most hindi words, atleast initially.
I guess you could call me the hopelessly lazy type
I'd anyway buy a laptop for gaming and making presentations and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can try a Bluetooth Keyboard. Its size is similar to a TV Remote and it takes care of typing with a Tablet. There are some covers that have a built-in keyboard as well.

With this, your tablet "might" be able to do job of laptop if apps that you need are available for tablet.
Yea i came across this kind of case being sold for 500 bucks somewhere. It was one that connects to the proprietary port of my samsung tab, not a bluetooth one. I'd prefer a normal cabled one over a bluetooth, constantly keeping my bluetooth switched on would drain my battery.
Could have bargained and got it down to 400 bucks easily, but i didnt have much cash at that time, so dropped it. I intend to buy one of these when I get the time though
Old 8th January 2014, 22:35   #1464
BHPian

Micromax unveils LapTab: Runs both Android 4.2 & Windows 8

Micromax announces dual-boot Android/Windows 8.1 LapTab

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-micromaxcanvaslaptab11_compress.jpg

Micromax unveiled LapTab, its first dual-boot tablet powered by Intel, at CES 2014. The company will officially launch the LapTab in early February.

Powered by an Intel processor (Bay Trail-M), the device supports both Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS and Windows 8. Users would need to simply reboot the device and select the alternate option to switch from Windows to Android and vice-versa.

The LapTab has a 10.1-inch IPS vibrant display. It is powered by a 1.46 Ghz Intel Celeron N2805 processor, 2GB of RAM and 7400 mAh battery. The device sports a 2 megapixel front camera. With its brightness control technology, the LapTab automatically adjusts the screen content by continuously monitoring the environment.

Source: CNN-IBN

Micromax LapTab first look: Android, Windows and a keyboard cover in one device: Times of India
Old 21st January 2014, 15:36   #1465
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, Dell launched two Android tablets, the Venue 7 and Venue 8. They also unveiled two Windows tablets with 8" and 11" screens - the Venue Pro range. With PC sales facing stagnation and decline, it was only a matter of time before Dell got into the tablet market with all seriousness.

The Venue 7 has an Intel Atom Dual Core processor, 2GB RAM, 1280 x 800 HD display, front and rear cameras, 16GB storage, micro-SD card slot (up to 128GB) and a 4100mAh battery. The Venue 8 has similar specs, except for a larger 8" screen (same resolution), a faster Atom Dual Core processor and better cameras at the front and rear. It also comes with a choice of 16GB or 32GB storage. Both run Android JellyBean 4.2 for now.

Priced at Rs. 10,999 and Rs. 17,499, they seem to be quality, decently-specced, well-supported offerings at value-for-money pricing, especially the Venue 7. If only Dell could launch the 3G versions with voice calling & messaging (over GSM) at a small price increase, they can do even better!

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-image.jpg

http://www.androidos.in/2014/01/dell...tablets-india/

Last edited by RSR : 21st January 2014 at 15:46.
Old 21st January 2014, 21:17   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Yesterday, Dell launched two Android tablets, the Venue 7 and Venue 8.

The Venue 7 has an Intel Atom Dual Core processor, 2GB RAM, 1280 x 800 HD display, front and rear cameras, 16GB storage, micro-SD card slot (up to 128GB) and a 4100mAh battery.Both run Android JellyBean 4.2 for now.

Priced at Rs. 10,999 and Rs. 17,499, they seem to be quality, decently-specced, well-supported offerings at value-for-money pricing, especially the Venue 7.
Android on x86? Will have to look into it - compatibility of games and the likes.

I currently have a first gen iPad. In simple words, it sucks. Wondering if I should sell it and get a Venue 7 instead. Usage is only browsing, watching videos, light gaming and reading. (thats pretty much everything people do on tablets )

Any suggestions? First hand reviews? Guys please share.
Old 21st January 2014, 22:02   #1467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post

Android on x86? Will have to look into it - compatibility of games and the likes.

I currently have a first gen iPad. In simple words, it sucks. Wondering if I should sell it and get a Venue 7 instead. Usage is only browsing, watching videos, light gaming and reading. (thats pretty much everything people do on tablets )

Any suggestions? First hand reviews? Guys please share.
The Dell android tablets are based on the previous Intel Atom platform ( clover trail +). The windows 8.1 tablets (venue pro) are based on Intel's latest atom platform (bay trail). These have been getting excellent reviews. Android tablets based on bay trail should start coming out soon. Suggest you wait for that. If you are looking for a full windows experience on a tab, the dell venue pro is a great option.
Old 26th January 2014, 13:06   #1468
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for a tablet in the 15k range. Current shortlist is down to Galaxy Tab 3 (T211) and Lenovo IdeaTab A3000.

Any specific personal reviews/ experience? I'm leaning towards A3000 as of now.

Last edited by zenren : 26th January 2014 at 13:16.
Old 26th January 2014, 15:00   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I'm looking for a tablet in the 15k range. Current shortlist is down to Galaxy Tab 3 (T211) and Lenovo IdeaTab A3000.

Any specific personal reviews/ experience? I'm leaning towards A3000 as of now.
I would suggest to stay away from samsung, as the tablet is super laggy after some time of usage.

If you don't need the Phone calling feature, I would suggest going for Nexus 7 (2012 model) which is well within your budget.
Old 8th February 2014, 20:58   #1470
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the verdict on the Samsung galaxy Note 10.1, 2014 edition. Its listed for 500$ in the USA. From the specifications it looks like the big daddy of all the tablets out there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks