Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 12:21   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Came across this advert in TOI, Ahmedabad edition today. It seems Apple India is clearing iPad Mino stocks. 5k off for old tab / phone / laptop. Not a bad deal. Also, an option to go the EMI way and get Cash Back.

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-ipad.png

Came across this Samsung vs Apple advert. Pretty interesting.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 21st February 2014 at 12:23.
Old 24th February 2014, 18:22   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What is the verdict on the Samsung galaxy Note 10.1, 2014 edition. Its listed for 500$ in the USA. From the specifications it looks like the big daddy of all the tablets out there.
The issue with Samsung is the updates are hard to come by. We have the older 10.1 Note which we got last year with 4.1.2. So far there has not been a single update, though Samsung has promised kitkat for this model.

So, next year when you look at your tablet, you might be a couple of versions behind compared to the latest Android. Samsung does lot of customization and that makes it difficult for them to release something quickly.
Old 24th February 2014, 23:41   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Which are the tablets worth considering if using 3G through a prepaid SIM is must?

Budget is ~10-15k as my wife's got butterfingers so the less expensive the tab the better.

Alternatively, would she be better off with the 2012 Nexus 7 32 GB where she makes her Motorola Defy the wifi hotspot and connect the Nexus 7 through it?

What is tempting about a tab with 3G connectivity is that she can use the Reliance 3G prepaid SIM with it which comes out at least 200 bucks cheaper every month when compared to her Vodafone 3G plans which she uses in the Defy.
Old 25th February 2014, 18:53   #1474
Senior - BHPian

So I spent an hour comparing the various tabs from 10-18k and below is what the comparison broadly looks like. Please note that this is only for tabs with a screen size of 7.9 inches and above.

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-tab-comparison.png

Please click the pic to enlarge

Micromax's P650 has everything that my wife would need except that the screen size is 8 inches when compared to iBall's 3GQ1035 screen size of 10.1 inches.

However, iBall doesn't have a front camera which means no video calling from this one, though that's not in our list of must have's.

With a difference of 3600 bucks I think Micromax fits the bill perfectly but I'm a little skeptic of how square the P650 is, I mean it shouldn't be awkward to handle or hold.

Are there any 7 inch tablets that I must consider for the following requirements of ours -
1. Must work with a 3G GSM SIM
2. Front Camera
Old 25th February 2014, 19:36   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Are there any 7 inch tablets that I must consider for the following requirements of ours -
1. Must work with a 3G GSM SIM
2. Front Camera
Check out Lenovo IdeaTab A3000. I bought one last month for a little under 14k and the experience has been very satisfactory so far. It has dual sim (one 3G slot and one 2G slot) and 0.3M front camera, though I should say I haven't used either of them since I already have Wi-Fi at home and use laptop for the rare video calls that I do make.

A word of caution in case you plan for a non standard screen size - it'll be very difficult to get perfect-fit cases/covers etc.
Old 25th February 2014, 19:42   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Check out Lenovo IdeaTab A3000......A word of caution in case you plan for a non standard screen size - it'll be very difficult to get perfect-fit cases/covers etc.
Thanks for this, i did include lenovo A3000 in my comparison after posting what i posted above.

I've kind of narrowed down to Micromax P650, Lenovo A3000 and Asus Fonepad 7.

Asus has better display with 1280x800 resolution and 1.6 GHz processor but is about 1500 more than lenovo.

Still confused.
Old 26th February 2014, 00:09   #1477
BHPian

I bought an iPad mini last week for 20k. The prices now have come done to 18.5k

Good time to buy an 8 inch tab, which to me is the best size with minimum options.
Old 28th February 2014, 12:45   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Placed the order for iBall 3G Q1035 (10.1 in) tablet. It does have a front camera which I missed out on in my earlier comparison.

Its retailing at 14799/- at amazon.in compared to 16249/- at flipkart, I ordered it through amazon.in

Its got pretty much everything that one could think of in a ~15k worth tablet. Will post a brief review once I get my hands on it.
Old 1st March 2014, 15:15   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

We are planning to buy a 10" Tablet for home use. Browsing, Emails, Skype etc. I was going through a few options and came across the Lenovo Yoga Tab 10". I understand that in India they are only selling the 8" & 10" Wifi+3G option. But the 10" is priced closed to 28k. I checked on amazon.com and in US they are selling 10" Wifi Only for $269. That works out to roughly INR 17k.

Does it make sense to get this now as the yoga tablet HD version is already announced in the MWC2014. But since my useage is purely basic. NO GAMING. I feel the current Yoga Tab should suffice. There are some reviews that state the processor on this one is quite "slow". Are there any Yoga Tablet users here? Can you please shed some light.

For 17K 10" Lenovo Yoga Tablet seems like a sweet deal to me. Only thing is, i will have to wait for a month or so till someone can carry it for me from US. Add another $56 & i can get the Lenovo Yoga 10 Bluetooth Keyboard Cover. $269 + $56.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 1st March 2014 at 15:16.
Old 2nd March 2014, 00:08   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Came across this advert in TOI, Ahmedabad edition today. It seems Apple India is clearing iPad Mino stocks. 5k off for old tab / phone / laptop. Not a bad deal. Also, an option to go the EMI way and get Cash Back.

Regards,

Well, Amazon and Flipkart are selling this under 17k, without any exchange. With bil and warranty ofcourse!
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:36   #1481
Senior - BHPian

So after playing around with the newly bought iBall Q1035 here's what I have to say about it.

Good things -
- The aluminium back finish is amazing to look at and hold.
- Shadow Gun & Dead Trigger ran perfectly, in fact load times were a little better than my Nexus 4, can't figure out why.
- Its got dual-SIM option so using two 3G SIMs is going to be great fun, one postpaid & another Reliance's prepaid!
- WiFi signal strength was same as my Nexus 4 when I was at one distant corner of my house
- Display at 1280x800 is nothing spectacular but does a decent job when playing games, surfing the net. In fact its vibrant enough for anything except watching HD videos.
- Micro-HDMI port is a real boon, cables comes along with the tablet
- 10.1 inch display is way way better than the 7 inch tablets. Playing games on it was great fun when compared to my Nexus 4.
- Comes with Android 4.2.2 version
- I played Dead trigger and shadowgun for close to 4 hours, downloaded around 20 apps & games on Wifi, messed around with it for another 2-3 hours. In about 7-8 hours of this kind of usage the battery came down to 67%, pretty sweet when compared to my Nexus 4.

Not so good things -
- 8 MP front camera is a disaster, the image is merely as good as a 2MP camera.
- I'm not sure if its because of the screen guard but the screen is a little sticky. I mean one can't really glide their fingers all the way, its not as smooth as it should be.
- HD videos is where you make out that its a 1280x800 display. Nothing terribly poor but better display would've been greatly appreciated.
- The seller who dispatched it had torn off the box seal, probably because he wanted to install the screen guard himself (yes it came installed). The primary reason of me running it throughout the day was to find out if it had battery issues or anything and probably send it back to the amazon seller just because the box seal was torn. So far, nothing wrong with the tablet, no scratches no marks. Physically everything was intact except the seal which was broken.

Question: How do I find out what is the total time the tablet has been used so far? I just want an assurance that it hasn't been abused by the seller before sending it to me.
Old 10th March 2014, 20:29   #1482
Senior - BHPian

In market for a 7-8" tab. Currently using Samsung galaxy tab 2 WiFi.

FK is running a exchange offer under which it is offering me 7k for the same and getting iPad mini 16GB for 14950/-.

Now, I am getting confused. I have 2 options.

1. Give away Samsung tab 2 & get myself iPad mini.

2. Retain the Samsung & just get a nexus 7 2012 32GB WiFi which is for sale on FK @ 11k. Samsung can be used by parents for Skype and basic sports apps.

Which of the above makes more sense?

My need is browsing, YouTube, emails, Skype etc. NO gaming. Samsung tab 2 screen is falling in avg category in terms of screen resolution.

Regards,
Old 10th March 2014, 21:24   #1483
JLS
BHPian

Quote:

FK is running a exchange offer under which it is offering me 7k for the same and getting iPad mini 16GB for 14950/-.

2. Retain the Samsung & just get a nexus 7 2012 32GB WiFi which is for sale on FK @ 11k. Samsung can be used by parents for Skype and basic sports apps.

My need is browsing, YouTube, emails, Skype etc. NO gaming. Samsung tab 2 screen is falling in avg category in terms of screen resolution.

Regards,
Nexus 7 2012 32 GB is always an excellent buy.
Its much faster and more responsive than Samsung 3100 series due to two reasons:
1. Basic android without any bloatware
2. Quad core processer
Also, resolution at 1200 X 780 is better than Samsung.

Yes, iPad is better, but with 16 GB, and costing almost double.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
JLS
Old 10th March 2014, 22:00   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
iPad mini. My MIL and even my 2 year old took to iPad like a cat to water.

My practically luddite mother has been all at sea with the nexus 7 2012. Further it has a very stupid bug that sometimes makes it switch off, and then you need to press it for 30 seconds to make it boot.

Here's the kinda emails I had to write to my brother (himself a SW engineer who uses/tests nokia smartphones):
Quote:
https://support.google.com/googlepla...-IN#ts=3337942 - the key is to hold it for 15-30 seconds (exactly as google says)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1782149 says the same, as do multiple other threads on XDA, as does http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...n-anymore.html
Its nice but not really intuitive IMHO. If your parents are net savvy then the update/VFM advantage of nexus is unbeatable.
Old 14th March 2014, 18:09   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Well, Amazon and Flipkart are selling this under 17k, without any exchange. With bil and warranty ofcourse!
I am planning to get an ipad mini. Where can I get the best price in Mumbai/Online?

I have a practically unused 64 GB playbook. Is it possible to exchange or sell it off?

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 14th March 2014 at 18:11.

Most Viewed