Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2011, 20:48   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
I have narrowed down the following devices:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Archos 101 G9 250gb
Blackberry Playbook

I will be using the tablet for movies, music, carry and disply data on MS office and surfing the internet.

I would also like to know if my phone with an unlimited data plan can connect to the tablet so i can surf on a bigger screen.

Please let me know what is best for my application. I will be in Shanghai and HK next week so i can pick up the archos from there if required for less than 500 USD.

thanks.
Since you'll be carrying movies & music with you, the Archos 101 G9 250GB makes perfect sense. Will set you back by $400 and is worth each penny. It's got the sweet Honeycomb 3.2 OS so it'll be a welcome change from your iPad too. And not to forget, the processor is faster than any other tab in the market(50% more than the iPad2).
I'm also contemplating to go for the Archos 80 G9. Pre-sale starts 20th September
Old 18th September 2011, 20:59   #107
BHPian

@Fiat: Not really interested in the Asus as it is using the same 1.0ghz processor, and if you include the keyboard its the same as carrying the eepc around. Plus the cost is about 32k in India.

@ragingbull: The 250gb space and processor is a major selling point. But the problem is that the 3g service is via a seperate usb. So even if i did get a seperate sim for 3g there is no way to use it. Tata docomo has a Rs 250 plan for 1.5gb which is reasonable.

Also do you guys know if the blackberry can work as a modem for the archos to surf the internet?
Old 18th September 2011, 21:31   #108
BANNED

R.P.M - you can set up "mobile access point" on your phone, and use wifi to connect teh tablet to the phone.
Old 18th September 2011, 21:42   #109
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab P7500. It has awesome display and has a SIM slot, used my BSNL 3G and it connected seamlessly. Also an adapter provided by which a pen drive can be connected. @backseatdriver: Ovi Store (nokia) has a Joiku Hotspot by which the phone becomes a modem, one hitch the free Joiku doesn't have a WEP key, so it's literally a 'free for all'. If you want a WEP Key can buy the paid version of the Ovi Store fro Rs.150.
Attached Thumbnails
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-150920111131.jpg  

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-150920111132.jpg  

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-150920111133.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 18th September 2011 at 21:49.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 01:25   #110
BHPian

@RPM: Blackberry OS 7 is supposed to support wifi hotspot. Since you already have 9700, I am expecting you are getting the new 9900. In that case, you might be able to use your BB data plan.

BlackBerry 7 OS devices to finally get WiFi Hot Spot support - SlashGear
Old 19th September 2011, 21:04   #111
Senior - BHPian

Folks do help,

Have been out of this entire tablet issue since the ipad originally came out and rarely used it much and sold it off, but now the interest is back and am hyper confused between the iPad 2 / Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the new Sony Tablets,

My point is, could someone simplify the advantages and disadvantages between the above? iPad 2 makes a lot of sense for me since i use a macbook pro and am quite excited about icloud, but then android has it's own advantages and then again there are certain apps which some folks say are exclusive to apple?

Can someone help me clear this entire confusion? Also with iOS 5 coming up I believe it removes the entire need to use a computer / itunes to load apps right? So that being one of the biggest dis advantages of the iPad 2 has been now taken care of so please help?

Sorry if this has been asked in the past but with extensive online research and breaking a Bhpi'ans head I still am not able to come to a conclusion,

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 21:44   #112
BANNED

I am a die hard linux fanatic. But that is because I prefer freedom and ownership of my devices rather than gizmo or tech spec or UI. Obviously, my vote will be for the android device.

OSX / IoS may not like Android and may probably issues talking to your android device (but I do not think so), but Android is less likely to have issues talking to IoS / your apple PC.

Also, please - that "some apps are exclusive to iPad" is very vague. Which apps? Are those apps of any value / use to you?

BTW, I do not need my PC to load any apps on my android device - a phone.
Old 19th September 2011, 21:58   #113
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot one issue is my wife uses the LG P990 and to update it I must use a PC but I guess thats a one off issue as the ARC didn't need the PC.

Also about the Apps being exclusive was a statement from a sales guy at Croma, which is why I am not sure if that is true, but I did notice on my wife's phone android market place has no Fifa / PES soccer games? Do shed more light if there truly are apps which I will miss out on?

Lastly for reasons unknown when I tested both I felt the apple screen was lag free compared to the Samsung is that true or was that a mental thing?

Regards,

P.S One more thing would you recommend I get it with a Vodafone plan or I should buy the 'Mi-Fi' mobile router from them which will allow me multiple devices to connect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I am a die hard linux fanatic. But that is because I prefer freedom and ownership of my devices rather than gizmo or tech spec or UI. Obviously, my vote will be for the android device.

OSX / IoS may not like Android and may probably issues talking to your android device (but I do not think so), but Android is less likely to have issues talking to IoS / your apple PC.

Also, please - that "some apps are exclusive to iPad" is very vague. Which apps? Are those apps of any value / use to you?

BTW, I do not need my PC to load any apps on my android device - a phone.

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 19th September 2011 at 22:02.
Old 20th September 2011, 10:35   #114
BHPian

Want to buy an iPad 3G

I am looking to buy an iPad with 3G (3G is a must). Both iPad 1 and iPad 2 are ok but would prefer whichever makes more sense from an asking price perspective. Please do let me know if you are willing to sell one. I am located in Bangalore. Thanks!!

PS - I am not sure if this is the correct thread. Mods, please delete this post it if it's not appropriate for this thread.
Old 20th September 2011, 22:13   #115
BANNED

bansal - you may want to check the classified pages. Several iXXX devices on sale there.
Old 21st September 2011, 12:18   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
bansal - you may want to check the classified pages. Several iXXX devices on sale there.
Thanks but none of the iPads there have 3G.
Old 28th September 2011, 20:09   #117
Team-BHP Support

Its called the Kindle Fire!

Amazon Fires $199, 7-Inch Tablet At Apple | TechCrunch

Most amazing thing: Its starts at 199$ !

Last edited by ampere : 28th September 2011 at 20:10.
Old 28th September 2011, 20:13   #118
BHPian

Which is the best tablet available in India right now ?
Old 28th September 2011, 20:25   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Which is the best tablet available in India right now ?
Do you even need an answer?
Ipad2 without doubt. Every one else is in a catch up mode.
Old 28th September 2011, 20:29   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you even need an answer?
Ipad2 without doubt. Every one else is in a catch up mode.
Ipad2, yes . But i often read that it doesn't support flash and browsing is limited.
Which is the most complete tablet available now ?

Last edited by karty_83 : 28th September 2011 at 20:31.

Most Viewed