Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 12:04   #271
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Saw this news, I have never understood the idea of a tablet! However, I have a 6 year old laptop and was considering changing it. I use it primarly for browsing and skype. Now with such low price, is it good to buy one of these Playbooks for my need?

Is it on the entire range? Which playbook is better?
Please note that in the current state, PlayBook does not have a native skype client. It does have a very high quality video chat client built-in, but currently it can be only used to video chat with other PlayBooks. But because the PlayBook supports flash, the workaround is to use AV by AOL - Let's video chat! or ReelPortal Video Chat - Home for video chats.

The only difference in "the entire range" is only storage capacity - 16, 32 and 64GB. Take your pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Now that Playbook discount is making me think, should I go for it? Would I miss out on all the apps? Is there anyone with the PB please advice!
While everything I wrote above holds true for the current OS version of the PlayBook, there is a rumored native Skype client expected to be introduced with OS 2.0 of the PlayBook. The PB OS 2.0, which is expected to resolve lot of the shortcomings the PB currently has, is expected to be released in Feb 2012.

Some of the current shortcomings of the PB, as compared to other tablets:
1. No native email client/BBM messenger. But can tether with an existing BlackBerry using Bridge app for email/BBM. Email can be accessed directly using browser, though.
2. Doesn't have native 3G/mobile data facility. Is wi-fi only. But can tether with ANY phone (not just BB) which supports bluetooth tethering to use mobile internet (data plan of phone), without requiring an additional tethering plan.
3. Limited apps. OS 2.0 is expected in Feb, but with RIM, you can't be sure of any dates or features.
Neilguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 12:37   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
The PB OS 2.0, which is expected to resolve lot of the shortcomings the PB currently has, is expected to be released in Feb 2012.
Is it just an OS update for their existing range or are they releasing a new Playbook altogether ? Because i remember reading something like a new Playbook with OS 2.0 being launched with an android market to support their apps.
Wonder if the new OS will be compatible with their existing range.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:51   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Is it just an OS update for their existing range or are they releasing a new Playbook altogether ? Because i remember reading something like a new Playbook with OS 2.0 being launched with an android market to support their apps.
Wonder if the new OS will be compatible with their existing range.
I am not sure about a new PlayBook altogether, but the OS 2.0 with support for Android Market can run on the existing PlayBook too.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:24   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that Playbook discount is making me think, should I go for it? Would I miss out on all the apps? Is there anyone with the PB please advice!
I am a recent buyer of a Blackberry Playbook and must tell you if you use a BB phone, its a great buy

I am absolutely loving it !!!
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 13:40   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am a recent buyer of a Blackberry Playbook and must tell you if you use a BB phone, its a great buy

Can you please tell us what network offer reasonable data tariff plan for surfing?
Old 29th December 2011, 13:44   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Can you please tell us what network offer reasonable data tariff plan for surfing?
I use the blistering and mind-boggling fast BEAM CABLE that offers 10MBPS speed with unlimited data download at Rs.1000/Month (All inclusive) and this service provider guarantees same speed as your plan and sometimes more compared to other cheaters out there like Reliance and Tata Photon data cards.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:04   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use the blistering and mind-boggling fast BEAM CABLE that offers 10MBPS speed with unlimited data download at Rs.1000/Month (All inclusive) and this service provider guarantees same speed as your plan and sometimes more compared to other cheaters out there like Reliance and Tata Photon data cards.
After reading I just googled for beam cable to check reviews and to see if it is available in Pune, but I see the general opinion is that they are bad!

I do not see any info on their site about availability in other cities, is this only for HYD?
Old 29th December 2011, 15:55   #278
BHPian

Quote:
After reading I just googled for beam cable to check reviews and to see if it is available in Pune, but I see the general opinion is that they are bad!

I do not see any info on their site about availability in other cities, is this only for HYD?
Beam is an Internet provider in the city of Hyderabad. While there are some service outage issues with them that take a little longer than expected to repair, but when it works (which is most of the time) it is awesomely superb.
Old 30th December 2011, 14:55   #279
Senior - BHPian

People,
I have ordered for the playbook 32GB online through letsbuy.com for 15749/-.
16gb was out of stock, so i quickly ordered the 32GB before it ran out of stock too. Flipkart is quoting 16.5 for the same.
Letsbuy was also featuring 2100/- worth accessories free till yesterday. But when I bought today , it was not there

Quote:
Thanks Pandeyji for reassuring about the playbook. I am now anxiously waiting for it.

Quote:
I am not sure about a new PlayBook altogether, but the OS 2.0 with support for Android Market can run on the existing PlayBook too.
Neel, I hope the current playbooks would be upgradable to OS2.0?
And will the OS2.0 only feature Android market support or will it be also compatible to Android OS for sharing files and all ?
EDIT: Neel, I hope there's no issue for playbook to connect with wi-fi network tethered from the Android phone? I connect my laptop with wi-fi from my phone, when there's power outages and it works flawlessly though the speed suffers big time.

Quote:
Beam is an Internet provider in the city of Hyderabad. While there are some service outage issues with them that take a little longer than expected to repair, but when it works (which is most of the time) it is awesomely superb.
I am with Beam Telecom since 2007 and frankly their services were pretty ordinary, patchy and suffered frequent outages those days.
But since last year and a half they have improved tremendously and now outages are rare and even if it's their, it's mostly planned for which you get prior information.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 30th December 2011 at 14:59.
Old 30th December 2011, 15:57   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
People,
I have ordered for the playbook 32GB online through letsbuy.com for 15749/-.
16gb was out of stock, so i quickly ordered the 32GB before it ran out of stock too. Flipkart is quoting 16.5 for the same.
Letsbuy was also featuring 2100/- worth accessories free till yesterday. But when I bought today , it was not there

Neel, I hope the current playbooks would be upgradable to OS2.0?
And will the OS2.0 only feature Android market support or will it be also compatible to Android OS for sharing files and all ?
EDIT: Neel, I hope there's no issue for playbook to connect with wi-fi network tethered from the Android phone? I connect my laptop with wi-fi from my phone, when there's power outages and it works flawlessly though the speed suffers big time.
  • Yes the current PlayBooks are upgradeable to OS 2.0.
  • The way RIM is implementing Android market is by creating an Android virtual machine on the tablet, where you can run Android apps, and because of this limitation, you cannot run all apps from Android marketplace, especially those which target hardware interfaces or system settings.
  • AFAIK the only network PlayBook cannot connect to is Adhoc Network, so PlayBook will connect to personal hotspot wifi networks.
  • But this I can only confirm once I get my 32GB BB PlayBook from Letsbuy featuring 2100/- worth accessories free which I ordered on the first day the sale was announced and before the prices went up on Flipkart.
Old 30th December 2011, 16:08   #281
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed pointwise reply

Quote:
But this I can only confirm once I get my 32GB BB PlayBook from Letsbuy featuring 2100/- worth accessories free which I ordered on the first day the sale was announced and before the prices went up on Flipkart.
Damn!! lucky you!!I was already sulking over this lost accessories and now you rub a truck load of salt onto my wounds. Hehe!! No issues, will make do looking at yours.
What are the accessories offered though?

Me and Pandeyji have already fixed a small BB Playbooker's meet at your place when I recieve it, to get trained on all the nitty gritties of it.
Old 30th December 2011, 19:39   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Just now my uncle called me up asking me about the playbook. I was shocked to hear that its priced at 13k odd. How is that possible? Just saw the last few posts on the thread and I am even more confused. Can anyone tell me why is this 50% discount being given. BB is not exactly known for giving cheap/discounted products. Is there any catch in this? I have to tell him to go for it in by tonight. His usage is only browsing and may be some gaming by kinds and nothing very serious. Can anyone please suggest if I should give him the go ahead.

Edit: Any idea where I can get it in Delhi apart from the online stores? The online stores like Flipkart will take 5-7 days for delivery. If I book today will I will be charged the current discounted price or the price prevailing at the time of delivery which according to the news articles will be back to its original price on 1st jan onwards.

Last edited by drmohitg : 30th December 2011 at 19:43.
Old 30th December 2011, 20:16   #283
BHPian

@drmohitg
I don't think there's any catch. Have been reading how RIM is reportedly slashing the prices of Playbook to to make up for it's below par sales.

Take a look here:
RIM slashes price for its BlackBerry Playbook
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:39   #284

How To Install Android Market And Apps To BlackBerry PlayBook >> How to install the Android Market and other applications to your BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:16   #285
BHPian

Hi all!

Got my playbook 32GB on Friday, Looking at the online offers I thought I will get it cheaper (around 15k) from a local retailer but I was surprised to know that almost all of my known retailers were out of stock and the one who had a few 32GB's left had demand surpassing supply, so had to buy it for 16K

Few observation so far:

-The playbook box was shrink wrapped but inside there were no seals at all, only the box containing the charger and the usb cable was sealed.Also, it has no manual or cd etc. just a safety instruction booklet.Mine is a redington one with june 2011 packing date.

-The playbook can't be used straight away after unboxing, it needs to download the latest firmware (about 356mb) first, so wifi connection is a must otherwise it won't work.

- The size is just perfect for the kind of use a tablet is intended for.I had a ipad for a few days but the size of it just defeated the purpose of a having a handy tablet for reading a eBook or watching a video in bed, while playbook is just perfect.

-The quality of material/build quality is simply superb, the sound output/quality and even recording is simply outstanding for a tablet.The QNX OS is stable and intuitive but not as fluidic as in a ipad, but the ability to close application and real multitasking abilities makes it better in my books.

- After using istore and android market for years now the BB appworld looks like a joke, its a big disappointment(in terms of quality and quantity of apps) to say the least.Piano is the only application worth mentioning here- Its a must have.

-The bezel is quite big, they could have put a bigger screen on this thing by reducing the bezel and this way could have retained the same overall dimensions.

Connected it to my full HD tv using the HDMI cable from my Xperia arc, the TV mirrors the playbook, watched a few HD videos, played NFS and it was
a wonderful experience.

My laptop and desktop both have XP sp2, so, so far not been able to find a way to transfer my data to and from the playbook, Bluetooth doesn't have a file transfer profile so that doesn't help either.Looking for a workaround here, hope the next version of OS solves it for me.

Last edited by lancerlover : 2nd January 2012 at 13:33.
lancerlover is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks