Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:19   #286
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Ditto. To all of the above. I got mine through Flipkart within 2 days. Got the same 32GB and am facing the same problems with XP SP2. Will have to find a way soon, itching to copy data on it. Also i hope that Android Market will be accessible in the Feb 2012 OS update as promised.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th January 2012 at 07:15.
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:21   #287
Senior - BHPian

Motorola Reduces Xoom Wi-Fi, 3G Prices In India, 32Gb Version Now Starting Inr 21.5K

Motorola has reduced the price of its Honeycomb tablet Xoom in the Indian market. The exact price reduction is not clear right now, but different online stores are selling it for different prices (but sharply reduced).

You can grab Motorola Xoom WiFi 32GB version for only INR 21,500 and Wi-Fi+3G model for INR 25,000 from Koovs, while Flipkart has the same model in stock for INR 26,500. There is no word on the the 16GB prices, they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Earlier, the 32GB 3G version of Xoom was selling for around INR 33K and Wi-Fi version for around INR 31K, so it is a quite nice deal. Motorola has already announced that Xoom will get the Ice Cream Sandwich update, so you don’t have to worry about getting Xoom obsolete anytime soon.

To remind you, Xoom comes with NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual core processor, 1GB RAM, 5MP rear camera, 2MP front camera, 10.1 inch HD display and Android 3.2.

Motorola reduces Xoom Wi-Fi, 3G prices in India, 32GB version now starting INR 21.5K | AndroidOS.in
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:14   #288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
@drmohitg
I don't think there's any catch. Have been reading how RIM is reportedly slashing the prices of Playbook to to make up for it's below par sales.
Offer extended by a week.

PlayBook sold out in India, RIM extends festive offer by a week - Economic Times
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:58   #289
BHPian

i have been using the Blackberry Playbook 32GB since a couple of days now.

The best part about the Playbook is the Bridge functionality where you can access files from your BB smartphone without downloading it onto the device, though you have the option of saving the file on the PB itself.

Also using the bridge browser, especially if you have 3G is Simply Awesome. I will not harp on the limited Apps as thats been discussed earlier plus next month's OS update will give access to Android Market which will be good for playbook users. Since i have the Galaxy Tab too & with mom's iPad2, i will put up a comparo in the days to come.

*EDIT*
Sent this from the BBPB

Last edited by anilkalvani : 3rd January 2012 at 10:05. Reason: edit
anilkalvani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:43   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Motorola Reduces Xoom Wi-Fi, 3G Prices In India, 32Gb Version Now Starting Inr 21.5K

Motorola reduces Xoom Wi-Fi, 3G prices in India, 32GB version now starting INR 21.5K | AndroidOS.in
I guess this is a clearance sale since Xoom 2 (Xyboard) is already out.
Old 4th January 2012, 22:20   #291
BHPian

Could any of you guys who have a playbook clarify this for me -

So we need a tablet for our office, basically just for video calls and sending/receiving pictures straight from the factory floor ( via email ). Plus its got to be inexpensive ( comparatively at least, because of the high possibility of damage ).
With the major discount offered on the playbook it definitely seemed to fit the bill and i spent 2 days calling every single store in bangalore i could think off. Finally i did find ONE store this morning who had 3 16gig models with him. Just one store in the basement of a shopping centre.
At the last minute just before buying it, the guy tells me this needs to tether off a blackberry and a 3g model does not exist ! From what he said this basically appears to be a companion device for a blackberry phone.

First, is that true ?
second, doesn't that mean it can tether off any 3g phone ?
third, do you guys think this suits my requirements ?

I played around with this for some time at the store and i must admit the OS is brilliant ! I'm honestly bored of iOS and android. Sometime i wish we could pick the hardware we want and then simply choose the OS we wish to run on it, the same way we pick a service provider - which is possible considering most of these non iOS tablets run on the same processors. Guess thats gonna remain a dream :P

Windows phone seven, webOS and the Blackberry 7 OS really deserve much better.
Old 5th January 2012, 11:59   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddVish View Post

So we need a tablet for our office, basically just for video calls and sending/receiving pictures straight from the factory floor ( via email ). Plus its got to be inexpensive ( comparatively at least, because of the high possibility of damage ).
With the major discount offered on the playbook it definitely seemed to fit the bill and i spent 2 days calling every single store in bangalore i could think off. Finally i did find ONE store this morning who had 3 16gig models with him. Just one store in the basement of a shopping centre.
At the last minute just before buying it, the guy tells me this needs to tether off a blackberry and a 3g model does not exist ! From what he said this basically appears to be a companion device for a blackberry phone.

First, is that true ?
second, doesn't that mean it can tether off any 3g phone ?
third, do you guys think this suits my requirements ?

I played around with this for some time at the store and i must admit the OS is brilliant ! I'm honestly bored of iOS and android. Sometime i wish we could pick the hardware we want and then simply choose the OS we wish to run on it, the same way we pick a service provider - which is possible considering most of these non iOS tablets run on the same processors. Guess thats gonna remain a dream :P

The dealer is right on some counts.
1. The Playbook does not CURRENTLY have any native email functionality. If you want to access your emails, you either have to go online to your gmail/live/yahoo etc... account and access via web browser OR
connect to a Blackberry Phone via 'Bridge' and access the emails that are on the Blackberry handset.
2. To access the Internet, you can either 'Bridge' via a Blackberry handset (another word for Bluetooth tethering) or connect via Wi-Fi. If you access via Wi-Fi, you can connect to any hotspot, whether it be a mobile phone, Mi-Fi or any router.
3. Video calls is limited, there is no Skype option for the Playbook yet (if you use skype?). Though you can use https://imo.im/

The Playbook does not have a Sim slot for you to insert a mobile sim in and then access the internet.

It's Wi-Fi or Bridge only options to connect to the net.

For the specific reason you want the Playbook, it currently does not meet your requirements.

Hope this helps (or confuses you even more!)
Old 5th January 2012, 12:43   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
2. To access the Internet, you can either 'Bridge' via a Blackberry handset (another word for Bluetooth tethering) or connect via Wi-Fi.

It's Wi-Fi or Bridge only options to connect to the net.
I'd like to clarify one misconception here, the PB does NOT require a BlackBerry for internet tethering. It can tether with ANY phone which supports bluetooth internet tethering, the BlackBerry phone being just one of them.
The "Bridge" app allows one to access, among other things, emails, calendar, BBM and media on a paired BlackBerry phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddVish View Post
Please refer earlier posts for more detail, specifically these posts:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2625779
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2627161
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2629269

Last edited by Neilguy : 5th January 2012 at 12:45.
Old 6th January 2012, 23:55   #294
Senior - BHPian

To all those who have a chance to get electronics from USA can order Sony S Tablet (16GB/9.4") for just $390 ($490 for 32gb). Originally it was priced $499 and $599 resp. The price change makes this one of the very good tablets for such a good price. I found it better to use than Xoom, PB, Thrive and at par with ipad 2 and tab 10.1.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SGPT111US...ZY/ref=lh_ni_t
Old 10th January 2012, 00:48   #295
BHPian

Finally got my hands on the Transformer Prime - Just a couple of days before Asus announced the new and improved version!

Haven't got a lot of time to play with it but looks pretty decent for now. Lets see how the Ice-cream sandwich upgrade goes.
Old 10th January 2012, 01:42   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Finally got my hands on the Transformer Prime - Just a couple of days before Asus announced the new and improved version!

Haven't got a lot of time to play with it but looks pretty decent for now. Lets see how the Ice-cream sandwich upgrade goes.
Would love to hear your take on it. Its still not in stock on any NA websites. So waiting to order it. Now that new version is here, most probably will order it since the current one doesn't seem to come in stock early.
Old 10th January 2012, 01:46   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Would love to hear your take on it. Its still not in stock on any NA websites. So waiting to order it. Now that new version is here, most probably will order it since the current one doesn't seem to come in stock early.
I got this because I pre-ordered.

I debated returning it and waiting for the new one but going by how Asus messes up the launches, it'll be 4-5 months before the new one is available and I need one now.
Old 12th January 2012, 23:12   #298
BHPian

Initial impressions on the Asus Transformer Prime:

* Solidly built.
* Very nice display. Love watching HD content on it.
* No wifi issues. Gets a nice solid connection.
* Single speaker design sucks - you an actually tell that the sound is coming from the right if you hold the tablet horizontally.
* Ice cream sandwich makes it even better than before. Honeycomb was nice but ICS is way smoother. My first experience with ICS was on my galaxy S (unofficial build of course) but on the tablet, its much much better. Stock video player does a much better job of rendering 720p mkvs than the so called specialized players.

Haven't tested the tegra3 specific games and the GPS yet so no comments on those.
mohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 00:19   #299
BHPian

Guess i have missed out on the BB Tab offer that was on recently. All online stores have run out of stock. Is it still on ?
I see that the Playbook 64gb is available for 21k on Flipkart while Htc Flyer is available for 23.5k. Which one would be a better buy between these two ? Any chances of their prices coming down any further this month ?
Old 13th January 2012, 01:31   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
Guess i have missed out on the BB Tab offer that was on recently. All online stores have run out of stock. Is it still on ?
I see that the Playbook 64gb is available for 21k on Flipkart while Htc Flyer is available for 23.5k. Which one would be a better buy between these two ? Any chances of their prices coming down any further this month ?

Motorola zoom?Its for 21k

Most Viewed