Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 21:40   #436
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Installed real football following the link, however am unable to run the app.
Same here. So it's not you only.

Guys, Dead Space game is so awesome in graphics. At par its desktop version which requires a gaming rig to run! And there's simply no lag! However I'm trying to get used to touchscreen navigation instead of usual mouse.

I've one issue. Dead Space said to plug in headphones for best sound experience. When I plug in headphone, the sound drops so low! I enabled something like "overboost" from OS menu (it said, not recommended as it might damage your ears) but still sound level is not satisfactory. Anyone noticed same?

After installing few apps, I'm simply loving my Playbook

For most people looking for a casual tablet, I would recommend it over any Android tablet and the iPad.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 11th April 2012 at 21:42. Reason: Adding last line
Old 11th April 2012, 21:58   #437
Senior - BHPian

Is there any tablet which can dual boot windows and android ?
Old 13th April 2012, 16:59   #438
Senior - BHPian

Samsung to launch two NEW and AFFORDABLE Galaxy Tabs - Rediff Getahead

Galaxy Tab 2 is out.
Old 13th April 2012, 21:43   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Not a tablet, but HTC HD2 can dual boot Android & any Windows (Windows Phone 7 or Windows Mobile 6.5). Heck, people had ported Ubutu and even Windows 95 on HD2. Not sure if dual boot option exists on any other phone or tablet.
Old 13th April 2012, 22:21   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Not sure if dual boot option exists on any other phone or tablet.
Here it is: Viewsonic » ViewPad 10 Tablet | VPAD10
Old 13th April 2012, 22:30   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Same here. So it's not you only.

Guys, Dead Space game is so awesome in graphics. At par its desktop version which requires a gaming rig to run! And there's simply no lag! However I'm trying to get used to touchscreen navigation instead of usual mouse.

I've one issue. Dead Space said to plug in headphones for best sound experience. When I plug in headphone, the sound drops so low! I enabled something like "overboost" from OS menu (it said, not recommended as it might damage your ears) but still sound level is not satisfactory. Anyone noticed same?

After installing few apps, I'm simply loving my Playbook

For most people looking for a casual tablet, I would recommend it over any Android tablet and the iPad.
Its strange to know that you both are unable to run Real Fotball , it runs perfectly fine on mine .

But i couldn't agree more about Dead Space !! What a game !!

Regarding the headphone issue , the headphone volume on the playbook is a bit low even after turning on audio boost .

However if you want to play music louder than what it plays on the base player through the playbook speakers then try winamp . It works great , actually it works better than the pre-installed player !!

Also try smart office 2 if you like to edit files and all on the tab . Although docs to go is good enough , but smart office 2 is on a completely different level !!
Old 14th April 2012, 00:20   #442
Senior - BHPian

I tried re installing real football again today but same issue. I shall try dead space tomorrow.

One more thing i wanted to ask, if we install apps using the side load method, does our app market stop working? Untill yesterday my app market was working fine, but right now when i tried to access it it gave me an error stating app market is not available in my country.
Attached Thumbnails
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-bb-pb.jpg  

Old 16th April 2012, 13:16   #443
Senior - BHPian

^ that's strange. have sideloaded quite a number of apps but have not faced any issues with logging onto appworld. to risk asking the obvious question, have you tried rebooting and connecting again?
Old 16th April 2012, 15:18   #444
Senior - BHPian

I had got myself a 32GB Playbook in December, but was pretty much using it out of the box i.e. TV serials/movies/music while traveling, a little bit of gaming and bridging with my BB Curve 9360 on the move. That was until OS 2.0 arrived. Now it has become a pretty useful tablet with native email and calendar function.

Till now, I had refrained from Android side-loading, partly because I had given my PB to a friend to try out and also because I use Ubuntu on my netbook. So never really got a chance to try out DDPB.

Had some free time today and thought let me give this a try. Got into the Development mode and installed apps using DDPB. I can see all the icons as well (I used BAR files mostly from Crackberry forum list or Good Ereader website).

I think by officially allowing side-loading, RIM has greatly helped the user community. BB App World, though improving day by day, is still pretty thin compared to Android/Apple. It has made the PB experience even more enjoyable now!

Apps that I tried till now - Twitter for Android (which I find a bit better than Lemma for Playbook), Paper Toss, Bubble Blast, Shazam, Linkedin for Android (unfortunately, they still have not released it for Playbook or BB OS 7 too), Dolphin Browser HD etc.

However, when I'm launching some apps, I'm facing a 'Force Close' error (e.g. Talking Tom, Go Launcher). Why is this so? These have been listed as 'Working' on the sites where I sourced them from.

P.S It is a good idea to have a dedicated separate thread for PB. In the meantime, can people list websites from where we can source working BAR files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
For all those who are not able to run real football , make sure that
1)You have the latest version of DDPB installed on your computer . This is the most essential criteria .
2)Make sure that your PB is on developer mode as it tends to switch back to normal mode sometimes .

Do try it out again , I do have it installed on my PB and it works brilliantly .

Regarding making a new thread for PB users , its a brilliant idea
Can you PM me the link for Real Football? Would like to try it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Ya that could be possible. But i clicked the button for " Check for Updates" but it didnt show any results.
Where did you source Angry Birds BAR file? AFAIK, since it was officially launched on BB AppWorld, developers pulled out all BAR files.
Old 16th April 2012, 15:22   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Where did you source Angry Birds BAR file? AFAIK, since it was officially launched on BB AppWorld, developers pulled out all BAR files.
I got the Game from Apps for Playbook - PBVN.net

I just checked and its still there and infact also saw the AB Rio too. Real Football too is available here.

There are tons of apps / games given here. Take some time and browse around and you shall find plenty of apps / games etc.

Regards,
Old 16th April 2012, 16:03   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I got the Game from Apps for Playbook - PBVN.net

I just checked and its still there and infact also saw the AB Rio too. Real Football too is available here.

There are tons of apps / games given here. Take some time and browse around and you shall find plenty of apps / games etc.

Regards,
Thanks. I have officially purchased all 3 Angry Birds long time back because I read somewhere that BAR version is a bit laggy. Also, PB specific version is HD

When I first checked the CrackBerry sideloading thread, I was directed to http://playbookbars.com/ and I think I read somewhere that as and when developers are making Playbook ready apps, their community is officially pulling off BAR files for these (some ethics related stuff it seems - same as not having BAR files for paid Android apps).

So I was under the impression that all 3 AB editions wont be available at all and hence did not even search for them! Now when I'm checking out PBVN, I'm feeling shortchanged. All the games that I paid for (Plants vs Zombies, Cut The Rope, AB etc) are available here.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 16th April 2012 at 16:11.
Old 16th April 2012, 19:52   #447
Senior - BHPian

hmm you guys might want to check out the following sites/forums for Playbook stuff:

iPmart® forum [still one of the best forums for mobile/tablet needs]
Playbookers Area [developed as an offshoot from ipmart]
Old 17th April 2012, 02:11   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
But i couldn't agree more about Dead Space !! What a game !!
After reading the raves here, I purchased the game. Once installed, it said some files have to be downloaded. I clicked ok and it just keeps saying that files cannot be downloaded and to contact ea games mobile.
Old 17th April 2012, 09:34   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
However, when I'm launching some apps, I'm facing a 'Force Close' error (e.g. Talking Tom, Go Launcher). Why is this so? These have been listed as 'Working' on the sites where I sourced them from.
Unofficial apps are like that. Works for some, doesn't work for others. For example, many members are unable to run Real Football while BHPian Enigmatic can run them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
After reading the raves here, I purchased the game. Once installed, it said some files have to be downloaded. I clicked ok and it just keeps saying that files cannot be downloaded and to contact ea games mobile.
This is exactly what which happens if you are honest and buy games
I feel very sorry for ya! I've had enough frustrations in past with original movie and game CDs. These companies push us to side-loading.

@Enigmatic, all your apps suggestions have been awesome. More suggestions please
Old 17th April 2012, 11:08   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry
This is exactly what which happens if you are honest and buy games
I feel very sorry for ya! I've had enough frustrations in past with original movie and game CDs. These companies push us to side-loading.
Don't mind the side-loading too. But for purchasing the game, it should atleast download the data! Its not doing that! Well, will pm you

Most Viewed