Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:17   #691
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes View Post
2) I am not sure. Honestly, I haven't even looked at this area. As for as I know, there is no phone hardware built into the xoom, only data hardware. So, I think it can only do voip type calls. I will look into this and will let you know if this is possible.
Not true entirely. a friend of mine is using xoom for making phone calls. Has requested him for the link to ROM he is Using. Once received will paste it here as well . I think he is using Nighties ROM

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 23rd August 2012 at 18:35.
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:34   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Not true entirely. a friend of mine is using xoom for making phone calls. He requested him for the link to ROM he is Using. Once received will paste it here as well . I think he is using Nighties ROM
Interesting, that's something new. I only way I thought this was possible is via Groove IP and this in turn uses Google voice.

Please post the link as soon as you receive it.
Old 24th August 2012, 13:10   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
Hi,

The specs of iberry says it does support GSM 900/1800.

Auxus AX03G

Google Nexus(though would be priced higher) seems no sign of availability in India.That makes me to go towards iberry AX03g.

If any idea about Google Nexus launch in India is there then it could be worth waiting.

Thanks
@sathya
Do the specs specify voice calling, because I know of tabs that support GSM 3g/4g for data only and not voice calling, something like an internal GSM internet dongle.

As far as Nexus goes, I read somewhere that there are plans of launch around October. Hardware is excellent and runs on Jelly Bean, but no 3g and microSD slot. You have WiFi connectivity only as of now. This is a big let down for people on the move.

Considering my needs (voice call + microSD + 3g + decent hardware), I purchased a Samsung tab 2 yesterday. Am also getting a bluetooth headphone free from Samsung under their promo scheme.

Edit: Just checked, both HCL and Auxus do support voice call.

Last edited by chaudhrysan : 24th August 2012 at 13:14.
Old 24th August 2012, 14:09   #694
BHPian

Ultimately tried the z999 that i had sent to my wife as birthday gift. Worked fine out of box. Used 2g card for internet. Found reasonably fast. I am facing problem of video skype calls. Froyo apparently doesnt support video calling. Any clue which version of skype should be used? Also tested caling function which works without any problems.
Old 24th August 2012, 15:47   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
Hi,

The specs of iberry says it does support GSM 900/1800.

Auxus AX03G

Google Nexus(though would be priced higher) seems no sign of availability in India.That makes me to go towards iberry AX03g.

If any idea about Google Nexus launch in India is there then it could be worth waiting.

Thanks
Dont buy the Iberry AX03G, looks like it has got some serious problems

Tablets FAQs: iberry auxus ax03g problems faced by me
Old 27th August 2012, 15:01   #696
Senior - BHPian

Anybody here has the Wammy Ethod 1GB RAM tablet from WickedLeak. Another thing I am confused about is, WickedLeak is a retailer for manufacturer? If its the former then which is the company that has manufactured this tablet?
Old 28th August 2012, 23:39   #697
BHPian

I have a deal for a playbook, box piece, purchased abroad, for 8000 rupees. Is it a good deal. Shall I go for it?
Primary use is for power point and word documents. Also watching movies and internet browsing.

Waiting for a fast reply as I need to close the deal soon
Old 29th August 2012, 10:54   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I have a deal for a playbook, box piece, purchased abroad, for 8000 rupees. Is it a good deal. Shall I go for it?
Primary use is for power point and word documents. Also watching movies and internet browsing.

If you know the caveats of owning a PlayBook, then this seems like a fantastic deal. Go for it. The cheapest playbook available online in India is around 13K for 16gb. Although some sites in UK have the 64GB on sale for 129 GBP (around 199 USD).
Old 29th August 2012, 11:39   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Jump at it. As it is, a 32GB PlayBook at 15k was irresistible. This qualifies as unbeatable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
If you know the caveats of owning a PlayBook, then this seems like a fantastic deal. Go for it. The cheapest playbook available online in India is around 13K for 16gb. Although some sites in UK have the 64GB on sale for 129 GBP (around 199 USD).
What caveats if I may ask? Based on your personal experience or hearsay?

I have owned a PB since Jan 2012 and I can tell you it beats the sh** out of other tablets. The hardware and specs are top-of-the-line and with the OS 2 update, one can easily install (sideload) Android apps as well. Now with increasing number of iOS games also being ported to PB, I don't see why a 32GB tablet with class leading specs, a price tag of just 15k and ability to run apps for 3 OS should not be a great buy? It seems like a no-brainer to me!

P.S. This is a good article for people who get swayed by marketing hype & blindly believe that iPad is the best thing that happened to this world.

Impressed by the new Blackberry OS (or how iOS ate dust) Thoughts Serializer
Old 29th August 2012, 12:10   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I don't see why a 32GB tablet with class leading specs, a price tag of just 15k and ability to run apps for 3 OS should not be a great buy? It seems like a no-brainer to me!
Uh, you missed its 7" size

except that, yes, useful link. Good!
Old 29th August 2012, 12:10   #701
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know the caveats and hence the doubt. Could you please elaborate or give a link.

Quote:
Jump at it. As it is, a 32GB PlayBook at 15k
was irresistible. This qualifies as unbeatable.

I have owned a PB since Jan 2012 and I can tell you it beats the sh** out of other tablets. The hardware and specs are top-of-the-line and with the OS 2 update, one can easily install (sideload) Android apps as well. Now with increasing number of iOS games also being ported to PB, I don't see why a 32GB tablet with class leading specs, a price tag of just 15k and ability to run apps for 3 OS should not be a great buy? It seems like a no-brainer to me!

P.S. This is a good article for people who get swayed by marketing hype & blindly believe that iPad is the best thing that happened to this world.

Impressed by the new Blackberry OS (or how iOS ate dust) Thoughts Serializer
I forgot to mention that since it was purchased in dubai it won't have any warranty I guess. Is the deal still worth it?
Yes I know the hype about the ipad, being an early adopter, I have an ipad 1 since the time it was launched.
Old 29th August 2012, 12:21   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

Uh, you missed its 7" size

except that, yes, useful link. Good!
So what? In fact that's a better form factor. It easily fits in trouser pocket. Very useful if your work involves moving around or travelling. But let's keep subjectivity aside and compare on hardware and you'll see what I mean.

On any other tab, you can't run apps from other platforms.

At the end of day, a tablet will always remain a device to 'consume data and content'. It cannot replace your laptop/PC/DSLR/phone no matter how much you want. So why you want to spend a fortune fueling Apple's marketing spend? Unless the brand is what you are smitten with, or you attach a snob value to owning an iPad.

I would anyday prefer features and modding capability.

Quote:
I don't know the caveats and hence the doubt. Could you please elaborate or give a link.
See you have to put the specs in perspective of your intended usage and price. Yes the PB has a 7 inch screen and lower quality camera vis-a-vis iPad's 9+ inch screen and display. But do these features alone command a 3x price multiple?

Like I have said before, At that price, the PlayBook is a steal. No, it doesn't do everything the iPad does (camera and App Store specific comment). However, it does everything else what the iPad does and does it better. In other areas, the capabilities of the PlayBook will only grow with the OS 2.1 around the corner and more developers porting iOS and Android apps to QNX.

See the table for yourself and read the links for more details.
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-tablet.jpg

iPad 2 vs. PlayBook 2.0: Tablet Smack Down! | CrackBerry.com

iPad 2 vs. BlackBerry PlayBook: Of course you realize, this means war. | ZDNet

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th August 2012 at 12:53. Reason: Back to Back posts. Please refrain
Old 29th August 2012, 12:42   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Let me start by saying I own a PlayBook since Dec 2011 and an iPad (wifi only) since May 2010. And let me add, I simply love my PlayBook (P.S. I also have a BB phone)

Caveats with the PlayBook are not really complaints, but just some differences when compared to other Android and iOS tablets. Yes the PlayBook has a great 7" display and amazing sound clarity for watching all the movies and songs (local or streaming) and a nice UI.

1. It is marketed as wifi only and you cannot use a seperate data-only sim card, or a usb modem dongle. But you can tether it (using Bluetooth) to ANY mobile phone to use its mobile internet option, and if you have a BB phone, the BB Bridge app lets it tether seamlessly to the mobile internet of the BB phone, without incurring any extra charges, even when roaming! When you tether it to a phone with mobile hotspot, there "may" be extra charges incurred for browsing as applicable by the service provider.
For me, this alone was a huge selling point, as I did not have the headache of maintaining 2 seperate sim cards and recharge them seperately. But for some, that is a drawback since it cannot be used independently outside of wifi areas. The wifi works great for all other purposes and intents.

2. You cannot increase local storage by using a memory card.

3. All Android apps cannot be sideloaded, hence this leaves out some great apps like Skype, which cannot be used on the PB (as of the current OS. BB OS 10 is expected to change this). For video chat, one can use online services like aol.com/video or imo.im, apart from the native BB video chat (which can only be used to chat with other PB users). BTW the twin cameras are great, but the lack of autofocus (EDOF only) makes the pics sometimes not-so-great.

4. You can connect the PB to a TV or monitor using a mini HDMI cable and it mirrors the screen brilliantly, at any big-screen resolution. If you have bridged it to a BB phone, you can also use the BB phone to act as a remote for the PB while connected to the big-screen.

5. The App world, while having some great free and not-so-free apps/games, still lack the magnitude of iOS and Android app stores.

6. The Facebook and Twitter apps for PB are "terrible". But, thankfully, the native websites work great on the PB!

7. PB has a GPS built-in, but not many (proven) apps to use that functionality. There is no great Maps/GPS app worth using for the PB.

Bottom line, The PB is a great little device with a few shortcomings. If you have a BB phone, then it is the best companion tablet for it. Good luck on getting it at such a great price.
Old 29th August 2012, 12:59   #704
Distinguished - BHPian

Slicvic, That price is an absolutely steal with or without warranty. Anybody getting such a deal should just close your eyes and plonk your money on the Playbook.

Another advantage of PB is that from the BB family which is currently running on OS 7.1 which is a great improvement over OS 6.0 will be the only gadget that can be upgraded to the much awaited game changing OS 10 that is "hopefully" expected next year.

All other BB phones cannot be upgraded which means your handsets will get redundant and you need to buy a new OS 10 enabled handset if you wish to migrate to the new OS 10 whenever it comes.

I own a Playbook and BB 9810 and what a magical combination it is. It can do everything that Neel has outlined and works like a charm.

Bottom line, I am also a firm beilever of Blackberry devices and Playbook is right there alongside iPAD if not above it.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:01   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me start by saying I own a PlayBook since Dec 2011 and an iPad (wifi only) since May 2010. And let me add, I simply love my PlayBook (P.S. I also have a BB phone)

Caveats with the PlayBook are not really complaints, but just some differences when compared to other Android and iOS tablets. Yes the PlayBook has a great 7" display and amazing sound clarity for watching all the movies and songs (local or streaming) and a nice UI.
Very well captured! I agree to almost all points except a few.

- Yes it is WiFi only but like you only mentioned, the WiFI Hotspot/tethering works beautifully and across ALL phones. It works best with a BB given the Bridge app. And that's how I used to use it on the move when I had the BB. Now with an Android running on 3G data plan, this has become even better!

- There are workarounds to Skype! I haven't tried as Im not a Skype user. But I read there is a huge movement of sorts happening and an official app is very near.

- Umm, when the FB and Twitter for Android work why do you want the native PB app? But then, Lemma for Twitter works well.

- Yes GPS is one pain point I forgot to mention. Still searching for that solution.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th August 2012 at 13:18. Reason: Please dont quote entire long text, photo or video. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks