Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2012, 14:25   #766

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l
hello all,

a small query on behalf of a friend. he got himself the samsung galaxy tab 2 7" wifi only model from US. got it at a fantastic deal of $200. all was working great until now. today while he was browsing on it there was the power failure and his wifi network at home went off. now afyer the power came back on, his tab is unable to connect to his home network. when he scans for available networks he is able to see all the networks except his. his network is working well as all his other devices are now connecting to the router as normally they would.

out of frustration he even formatted his tab and reset tab & router to factory settings but still no luck.

any pointers?
Did he try resetting the wireless router or changing the SSID on the wireless router?
Old 25th September 2012, 15:31   #767
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.maverick View Post
Did he try resetting the wireless router or changing the SSID on the wireless router?
Hi Naveen,

Yes he did. He infact reset the Router too to factory settings and even tried to remove the secruity. OPEN Network. But the Tab when scans for Available Networks, just wont show that particular router / ssid.

I shall know exactly what is happening when i get the Tab with me. He is bringing it over to my place in evening. So shall know what & how is happening.

Thanks,
Old 25th September 2012, 22:42   #768
BHPian

Thinking of getting a sub 300 USD tab. Just for fun, no fixed requirements. I guess all the tabs have Wifi so I wont list that. What I would like to have are
1. Great Screen resolution
2. Android. BB with side load should work
3. 3G/ Voice Calling (I cant seem to find anything in my budget) I can live without this
4. Extendible memory

Options (I know they don't fulfill all the above):
1. Google Nexus 7
2. BB playbook 64 (Advantage I can tether it with my BB)
3. Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Wifi 16Gb

Is there something better I can look at? Any good deals? I need something to kill time on the move and watch TV shows. Dont even need a camera.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:52   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
3. Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Wifi 16GB.
i would suggest you get the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Wifi 16Gb. its a VFM tab. only other close contender in that price bracket is Nexus 7. apart from the memory limitation; its fantastic. Since you say your primary purpose is entertainmemt on the go; Nexus 7 it is. Has a fantastic screen resolution and Plain Vanilla OS and all android updates come first to you.
Old 29th September 2012, 23:09   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
i would suggest you get the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Wifi 16Gb. its a VFM tab. only other close contender in that price bracket is Nexus 7. apart from the memory limitation; its fantastic. Since you say your primary purpose is entertainmemt on the go; Nexus 7 it is. Has a fantastic screen resolution and Plain Vanilla OS and all android updates come first to you.
Thanks Harshal. The nexus seems like my best bet. What are my options if I really want a tablet with a phone as well? Open to all brands. Good screen and processor. And should be easy to mod. I used to have a HD2 for my Android experiments. But it developed heating issues so now looking for something which is trouble free.

Also there are a couple of great deals on refurbished tablets? Are they worth looking into as any tablet I buy will not be covered in India right!
Old 30th September 2012, 00:10   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Thanks Harshal. The nexus seems like my best bet. What are my options if I really want a tablet with a phone as well? Open to all brands. Good screen and processor. And should be easy to mod. I used to have a HD2 for my Android experiments. But it developed heating issues so now looking for something which is trouble free.

Also there are a couple of great deals on refurbished tablets? Are they worth looking into as any tablet I buy will not be covered in India right!
There might be memory limitation in Nexus 7 on-board. But with a $2 micro USB to USB Female connector and $3 Nexus Drive App - you can connect your SD card reader or a USB drive and extend it

Cheap isnt? Its definitely worth buying.

- From my experience
Old 1st October 2012, 23:06   #772
BHPian

Thanks man. That makes me even more inclined towards the nexus. Buying a tablet is crazy. There are like a billion options.

Couple of more options I got
1. Kindle HD @ $199
2. Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-i800 for Verizon (CDMA) 3G Network 7inch : I have read that it can be Network unlocked (xda-forums). Anyone using this?
Old 4th October 2012, 03:17   #773
BHPian

Need some help from the android gurus. I have an Onda V712 (http://www.ebay.in/itm/ONDA-V712-7-I...item4ab86c90e8 ) which was working fine till yesterday. I was having some problem with my google account so I decided to delete it and reset the same. After deleting my google account I switched off the power to reboot it. When I tried to reboot it by holding down the power button for 10-12 seconds the tablet wouldn't boot. Instead a white android bot appears on the screen and nothing happens after that. I tried leaving it like that for over 30 minutes but there was no progress. I powered the device off and on several time but there is no progress beyond the white android bot. Here is what I have tried so far-

1. switched the device off and on several times. No luck.
2. Let the battery drain completely by keeping it on (the white android bot is the only thing that appears on the screen all the time when the device is on). Then I charged it for over 4 hours (while the device was off). The animated charging indicator appeared showing that the battery was being charged. Tried powering up the tablet but still the same issue.
3. Tried to get into recovery mode by holding down the home button and power button simultaneously as well as holding don the home button and tapping the power button several times but the tab won't go into recovery mode. Instead the tab just powers up with the static white android bot.
4. Tried the reset button several times.
5. Downloaded the oem firmware from their site and did everything as per instructions. Transferred all the firmware files to a formatted sd card, inserted it into the tab when it was switched off, then tried to update the firmware by restarting using the home+power buttom combo but nothing happens.
6.Downloaded livesuit pack but apparently it is for Allwinner A10 chips while I have an Amlogic dual core chip so it didn't work either.
7. Installed android sdk/adb on my pc. Tried to install the usb drivers for my tab but they wouldn't install properly. I kept getting a "driver failed to install properly" error. When the tablet is powered on, it shows up in the device manager as M3-chip with a yellow alert icon next to it saying that the device was not installed properly. I tried reinstalling manually several times but every time it shows the same error.

I don't think that the tab is bricked or that it's some hardware error. If only I can figure out a way to get it into recovery mode...

I can't think of anything else to do and would greatly appreciate any help in this regard. Thanks in advance.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:00   #774

^^^^

The only way to bring the Onda712 back to life is to reflash the tablet again with the original firmware, google search for the firmware. I understand the firmware ver 1.5 has this problem with google play, flash it with the Ver 1.2, which I feel works fine
Old 4th October 2012, 11:04   #775
BHPian

Hi Guys,
i need a tab preferably 7'' android OS. i want to keep it with my parents just for the purpose of having video calls frequently with them.
3g sim slot is must as i dont want them to play around with technical things like wifi etc.
my budget is 10-15k.
i searched options but built-in 3g is really rare in this budget i suppose.
need your help if you can suggest some options.

thanks.
Old 4th October 2012, 12:02   #776

@Nicky

If you want a tablet with 3G sim slot, stick to the big guns, like Samsung Etc.

All these chinese tablets, which boast of 3G sim slots, suffer from serious connectivity problems, whats the point in buying a tablet with sim slot which connects after 20 minutes, only to be disconnected again after 5 mins.
Old 4th October 2012, 14:43   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOKSIN View Post
^^^^

The only way to bring the Onda712 back to life is to reflash the tablet again with the original firmware, google search for the firmware. I understand the firmware ver 1.5 has this problem with google play, flash it with the Ver 1.2, which I feel works fine
I have downloaded the original firmware but I can't figure out how to reflash. Livesuit doesn't work and I can't get the tablet to boot from the sd card with the original firmware. Is there any other way to reflash?
Old 4th October 2012, 15:31   #778
BHPian

Need help with Micromax Funbook P300. Bought the tab 4 months back, was working absolutely fine. Today while booting up the logo came up post that a white screen and the tab's stuck on the same white screen from past couple of minutes. Switched it off, and started back again and the same issue.

Should i take it to the service centre to sort this out or check online on some Android support sites?

Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 15:41   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Need help with Micromax Funbook P300. Bought the tab 4 months back, was working absolutely fine. Today while booting up the logo came up post that a white screen and the tab's stuck on the same white screen from past couple of minutes. Switched it off, and started back again and the same issue.

Should i take it to the service centre to sort this out or check online on some Android support sites?

Thanks
1. Is the tablet charging? Can you the see the battery indicator moving when you charge your tablet?
2. Try draining the battery completely and then charge it for 4-6 hours. See if the problem persists.
3. If nothing works try using the reset button.
4. Are you able to go into recovery mode?

If you want to play it safe, take it back to the service centre. However if you would like to experiment, there are many things you could try to revive your tab.
Old 4th October 2012, 15:45   #780
BHPian

Astleviz : the battery was 65% when the white screen issue cropped up. If i use the reset button will it erase the data from the tab? how do i go to the recovery mode?

I will try and experiment myself if in case it does not work will take it to the service centre.

Thanks in Advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks