Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 18:25   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
This cable isnt compatible with this tab. The older 7.0 came with the TV-out feature, but the P3100 doesn't come with it. There are whole forum threads(international) that talk about this!
Yeah noticed that! Not sure why every other website has mentioned 'TV-Out' as one of the feature!!

I can live with that
Old 18th March 2013, 09:59   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Does Skype support video calling on Android tablets ?

I purchased a Samsung Tab2 311 (wifi only) and installed Skype from the play store.

When I make a video call, the video from tablet is not displayed on the other side (I have enabled video calls in the settings). Video from other side is getting displayed on the tablet.

What could be the problem ?

Rohan
Old 18th March 2013, 19:11   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Here I'm in search of a 'branded' 7" Tab with calling option (SIM slot for calling!).
All I could find is Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 3100.
What I don't like about this Tab is lack of scratch resistant glass.

Any suggestions guys?
Obviously looking for something which is value for money
If you are too particular about the price, then this is a pretty decent option. Check it out.
Old 18th March 2013, 19:46   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
If you are too particular about the price, then this is a pretty decent option. Check it out.
Its not about the price mate, its all about VFM
iPad mini is VFM if it had SIM support and calling option

There are lot of Tab's with impressive specifications and well below 10K mark, BUT nothing really grabbed my attention.

Ordered Samsung Galaxy TAB P3100 (White) already, so my search is over!

Thanks for your suggestion though.

Last edited by HammerHead : 18th March 2013 at 19:47.
Old 19th March 2013, 20:13   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a tablet (preferably 7 inch) which supports 3G via dongle (and not inbuilt).
This is for the missus and she did not like Tab 2 (3100 with 3G) - it was really slow for her.

Also, I do not see the need for 3G inbuilt - infact it appears to be a disadvantage since I need to buy an additional SIM and pay fixed monthly rental for another connection.

I would prefer a dongle which can be a one time purchase and can be used across laptop/ tablet etc - perhaps get a 6 months limited plan or something.
Of course the tablet has to support the dongle.
Any suggestions.
Old 19th March 2013, 21:14   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Looking for a tablet (preferably 7 inch) which supports 3G via dongle (and not inbuilt).
This is for the missus and she did not like Tab 2 (3100 with 3G) - it was really slow for her.

Also, I do not see the need for 3G inbuilt - infact it appears to be a disadvantage since I need to buy an additional SIM and pay fixed monthly rental for another connection.

I would prefer a dongle which can be a one time purchase and can be used across laptop/ tablet etc - perhaps get a 6 months limited plan or something.
Any suggestions.
Here are two options that you might want to consider. They both are 10 inch tablets though. I personally would choose a 10 inch over a 7 inch anyday.

Micromax
TouchTab
Old 19th March 2013, 21:17   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions.
I would suggest to have a look at Google Nexus 7 Tablet.
Happy hunting

Do you care about 'Brand'?

Last edited by HammerHead : 19th March 2013 at 21:18.
Old 20th March 2013, 09:33   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I would suggest to have a look at Google Nexus 7 Tablet.
Happy hunting

Do you care about 'Brand'?
Do any of these provide 3G dongle support? If yes, which ones?

Also, brand is not that important, but reliability and speed are important.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:06   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Do any of these provide 3G dongle support? If yes, which ones?

Also, brand is not that important, but reliability and speed are important.
They both do provide 3G dongle support. Micromax would be my choice - also the price on fabmart is the cheapest in the market.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:51   #1075
Senior - BHPian

I use a BB Playbook and its wifi tethering function works like a charm. I have used a dongle with an el-cheapo Wammy Desire tab and quite frankly, it is tedious.

At 14k for a 64GB version, I don't see why PlayBook is being overlooked here! Just check out the specs and you'll know why I'm saying this. Light years ahead of the Android tabs at that price point.
Old 20th March 2013, 12:31   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I use a BB Playbook and its wifi tethering function works like a charm. I have used a dongle with an el-cheapo Wammy Desire tab and quite frankly, it is tedious.

At 14k for a 64GB version, I don't see why PlayBook is being overlooked here! Just check out the specs and you'll know why I'm saying this. Light years ahead of the Android tabs at that price point.
While I appreciate your suggestion, I would say, that my wife's mobile does not have wifi nor 3G support. When she is out on the road, she would probably need 3G to connect to the Internet to browse.

So a dongle will probably be a simple way without buying another SIM and paying monthly rental?

I am not aware of Playbook specs, but does anyone buy BB anymore?
Does that 14K model support dongles?

I also realized now, that the wifi-only tablets do NOT come with GPS. So, that is a problem.
Perhaps I should go back to wifi+3G and go for a prepaid SIM with data?
Old 20th March 2013, 13:53   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I appreciate your suggestion, I would say, that my wife's mobile does not have wifi nor 3G support. When she is out on the road, she would probably need 3G to connect to the Internet to browse.

So a dongle will probably be a simple way without buying another SIM and paying monthly rental?
Can you please explain how a dongle would help you bypass 'another SIM and paying monthly rental' method? Whether you buy a CDMA based dongle or a GSM one, there is either another SIM or a monthly rental or both involved.

A dongle just enables you to use it with other devices.

Quote:
I am not aware of Playbook specs, but does anyone buy BB anymore?
Does that 14K model support dongles?
Well I have never bought my gadgets based on what others are buying, so I cannot answer that part of your question. However, if you are looking for iPad matching specs (save for camera part) then nothing else comes remotely close to the Playbook at that price. But it does not support dongle.
Quote:
I also realized now, that the wifi-only tablets do NOT come with GPS. So, that is a problem.
Perhaps I should go back to wifi+3G and go for a prepaid SIM with data?
I have an unlocked dongle (Idea Netsetter branded) and have bought MTNL 3G data SIM on a prepaid basis. You can consider that option if data cost is your priority. MTNL has the cheapest prepaid plans.
Old 20th March 2013, 14:34   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

First of all, wifi only tablets DO come with GPS. I have a Samsung Tab2 311 wifi tablet and it supports GPS. You can cache the maps using wifi and then use them offline. Do note that navigation is not possible without internet connection.

Secondly, I would suggest you to look for a mi fi device, instead of a USB dongle. This way you don't have to worry about what tablet supports what dongles. All tablets would support mi fi device. This would have the additional benefit of being able to connect multiple devices simultaneously.

If your wife is not satisfied with the performance of Samsung Tab2, then you could go for Nexus 7 tablet.

Rohan
Old 20th March 2013, 16:31   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Can you please explain how a dongle would help you bypass 'another SIM and paying monthly rental' method? Whether you buy a CDMA based dongle or a GSM one, there is either another SIM or a monthly rental or both involved.

A dongle just enables you to use it with other devices.
A good question there.

I was under the impression that the dongle comes with the SIM card in it for free, so, except for the one time device cost, and the monthly data plan charges, I will have no other charges.

In comparison, I believed, that if I go for a 3G tablet, then I will have to buy another connection, pay Rs. 149 rental + data plan charges (Rs. 250/ 1GB) etc.

After speaking to my Idea sales person, I am relieved to hear that I can just get a new connection (without voice calls, only data) and I will get a SIM which I can pop in to the tablet.
So, I can save the money (Rs 750-800) on the netsetter and instead go for a 3G enabled tablet. I will only have to pay for data plan and no voice plan rental.

Quote:
However, if you are looking for iPad matching specs (save for camera part) then nothing else comes remotely close to the Playbook at that price. But it does not support dongle.
Which tablets come with decent camera performance?
I consider my Motorola Defy (5 MP) is below average in camera performance.
Will iPad with 5 MP be better?
I think Nexus 7 does not have a camera - so I have to drop that one.

Quote:
I have an unlocked dongle (Idea Netsetter branded) and have bought MTNL 3G data SIM on a prepaid basis. You can consider that option if data cost is your priority. MTNL has the cheapest prepaid plans.
Idea has a new plan where you can share data and voice plan across 3 connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Secondly, I would suggest you to look for a mi fi device, instead of a USB dongle. This way you don't have to worry about what tablet supports what dongles. All tablets would support mi fi device. This would have the additional benefit of being able to connect multiple devices simultaneously.

If your wife is not satisfied with the performance of Samsung Tab2, then you could go for Nexus 7 tablet.

Rohan
Nexus 7 - no camera, right?

Which mi fi devices are available in India?
Old 20th March 2013, 17:04   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nexus 7 - no camera, right?

Which mi fi devices are available in India?
Nexus 7 has a front facing camera for video chat. It doesn't have a rear facing camera for photography/video shooting.

Vodaphone, MTS, Airtel etc have mifi devices. Also you can buy your own mifi device from a 3rd party like Huawei, Micromax, Lava etc.

Rohan

Most Viewed