Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2013, 17:37   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Hi ppl! Searching through the thread coz I'm looking for a tablet for ~4000Rs. It'll be used by my mum ONLY for Solitaire & YouTube. Any suggestions? Can stretch budget if there's something damn good, but mostly use will be the same. Currently she uses my iPad Mini & would prefer a large screen(8"+).

Pls suggest if you have come across some nice tablet. Thanks in advance!
Old 16th May 2013, 20:03   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi ppl! Searching through the thread coz I'm looking for a tablet for ~4000Rs. It'll be used by my mum ONLY for Solitaire & YouTube. Any suggestions? Can stretch budget if there's something damn good, but mostly use will be the same. Currently she uses my iPad Mini & would prefer a large screen(8"+).

I picked micromax p275 for 4400 from croma online. Works fine for my mom. Only itch - touch response would be a compromise. Occasion al Wi-Fi issues. Rest is great including battery standby.
Old 16th May 2013, 20:10   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Realised 4K ones absolutely wouldn't suit the need for the kind of resolution.

Thinking of Karbonn Smart Tab 8 (Velox) @ ~6.6k
(http://shopping.indiatimes.com/compu...105/p_B1593698)

But confused if I could put in 2k extra & get a better one. :P Any idea?
Old 16th May 2013, 20:16   #1219
BANNED

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:

You can look at the entry level ones from Micromax. They cost 4-4.5K and are pretty easily available. Before getting it, just make sure your mom is okay with the fact that the experience with it won't be anywhere near the iPad Mini. Screen would be a little inferior, poor viewing angles, colors,etc, a little slower touch.
But the given usage would be pretty easy on the tablet. All of these tablet under 5K would be 7inch with WVGA Resolution

At about 8K following options:
try if you can find this tablet in the market:
http://www.saholic.com/tablets/karbo...-tab-8-1005618

It is out of stock at most places but at under 7k, it is gem of a tablet.

If you want 10 inch screen a great option is this for 8.5K
http://www.saholic.com/tablets/spice...i-1010-1005572

Last edited by agambhandari : 16th May 2013 at 20:23.
Old 16th May 2013, 21:49   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post

I picked micromax p275 for 4400 from croma online. Works fine for my mom. Only itch - touch response would be a compromise. Occasion al Wi-Fi issues. Rest is great including battery standby.
Thanks! But couldn't find it on Indiatimes/snapdeal/

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

You can look at the entry level ones from Micromax. They cost 4-4.5K and are pretty easily available. Before getting it, just make sure your mom is okay with the fact that the experience with it won't be anywhere near the iPad Mini. Screen would be a little inferior, poor viewing angles, colors,etc, a little slower touch.
But the given usage would be pretty easy on the tablet. All of these tablet under 5K would be 7inch with WVGA Resolution

At about 8K following options:
try if you can find this tablet in the market:
http://www.saholic.com/tablets/karbo...-tab-8-1005618

It is out of stock at most places but at under 7k, it is gem of a tablet.

If you want 10 inch screen a great option is this for 8.5K
http://www.saholic.com/tablets/spice...i-1010-1005572
Thanks! Was looking at the same Karbonn tab. Available at 6600 on Indiatimes. Bought the 10.1" Spice Stellar for 8.5k (with free leather pad) after comparing with some Ambrane A99 (6k) that's 9" but has lower resolution and a much less battery life.

Thanks for the quick reply guys!
Old 16th May 2013, 22:58   #1221
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought this transformer 700 from Amazon, with the dock as a birthday gift for the missus, and just got it in my hands.
I have to say, I'm tempted to ditch it as a gift, and keep it for myself!!
Supreme build, 4.1.1,good repository on xda, and it just feels so nicely weighted.
Now, someone suggest a fully functional Office suite, paid would also be fine.
Attached Images

Old 16th May 2013, 23:38   #1222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I bought this transformer 700 from Amazon, with the dock as a birthday gift for the missus, and just got it in my hands.
Supreme build, 4.1.1,good repository on xda, and it just feels so nicely weighted.
How much did it finally cost? Shipping international?

A free office suite is Kingston Office (fully functional and free). It is pretty light works even on budget devices and is pretty graphical.

But since you have such a great horsepower in the hood and some money to burn, the Paid option is OfficeSuite Pro . Cost about 800 Rs
Old 17th May 2013, 00:22   #1223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

How much did it finally cost? Shipping international?

A free office suite is Kingston Office (fully functional and free). It is pretty light works even on budget devices and is pretty graphical.

But since you have such a great horsepower in the hood and some money to burn, the Paid option is OfficeSuite Pro . Cost about 800 Rs
No no. Got it carried over through someone.
In all, it came to about 35. The Asus store in Noida had a 300 which was coming to about 46,which didn't sit well with me.

Kingston Office, you say? I was using kingsoft, so I'll try it again, see if it's better with a physical keyboard. It wasn't very friendly with touch only.
Else, I'll get the paid option. This supports all formats, yeah?
Old 17th May 2013, 03:10   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One of my fav tablets for Android. Wonderful build quality, great screen, good processor and fast updates unlike Samsung not to mention the excellent dock that extends battery life to a cool 18 hours.

TF700T comes default with Polaris viewer. It has full suite of Office built into it. Atleast that's how it was when i got it for my cousin.

If not, DocumentsToGo is a great office suite and does everything good.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:13   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Bought the 10.1" Spice Stellar for 8.5k (with free leather pad) after comparing with some Ambrane A99 (6k) that's 9" but has lower resolution and a much less battery life.

Thanks for the quick reply guys!
Hi GrammarNazi

Did you pick this up from Saholic? Also can you pls update regarding the front camera performance for Skype / Gtalk video calls? (I know you might not have got the delivery yet).
I am also quite keen on ordering this, but basically need assurance of wi-fi connectivity ease and skype quality.

Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:42   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bought the 10.1" Spice Stellar for 8.5k (with free leather pad) after comparing with some Ambrane A99 (6k) that's 9" but has lower resolution and a much less battery life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Hi GrammarNazi
Did you pick this up from Saholic? Also can you pls update regarding the front camera performance for Skype / Gtalk video calls? (I know you might not have got the delivery yet).
I am also quite keen on ordering this, but basically need assurance of wi-fi connectivity ease and skype quality.
That tablet is a hit or miss, depending on your luck. Be prepared with the address of the service center. Lot of users on Desidime have reported that something goes wrong after a day or two. The hardware is powerful, but the tablet reliability is a big question. Not suitable for gifting to your loved ones.

Quote:
No no. Got it carried over through someone.
In all, it came to about 35. The Asus store in Noida had a 300 which was coming to about 46,which didn't sit well with me.

Kingston Office, you say? I was using kingsoft, so I'll try it again, see if it's better with a physical keyboard. It wasn't very friendly with touch only.
Else, I'll get the paid option. This supports all formats, yeah?
35K is a fair price I think.
For Office, I have installed OfficeSuite Pro (Mobisystems.com). This was available on sale long back. It seems to have basic features for Word, Excel and PowerPoint. But, I have not used this software much. Give it a try.
Old 17th May 2013, 22:16   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post

Hi GrammarNazi

Thanks
Yep, from Saholic. Noted, will update wrt camera and other functions as soon as I get delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

That tablet is a hit or miss, depending on your luck. Be prepared with the address of the service center. Lot of users on Desidime have reported that something goes wrong after a day or two. The hardware is powerful, but the tablet reliability is a big question. Not suitable for gifting to your loved ones. ...
Oops! Ok, then may just opt for the Karbonn 8" one. Thanks for the heads up! Will research a bit and decide, anyway I haven't got any confirmation call from Saholic, so I can probably cancel the order. Thanks again!
Old 18th May 2013, 09:00   #1228
BHPian

I have installed a Samsung tab 2 in my car with a Samsung car dock kit

It is rooted and has tasker app installed can some one tell me how exactly to set a tasker profile to turn on on charging and go into complete airplane mode when the charger is turned off.

Is it possible to charge and connect a external USB hard disk to the tablet simultaneously , it appears to be impossible

I find at times that the battery is dead and the physical power button has to be passed to start it, can tasker do this : how ?

Last edited by abishek2222 : 18th May 2013 at 09:02.
Old 18th May 2013, 12:34   #1229
BHPian

Guys I have pre-ordered ASUS fonepad for 14,700/- INR for wifey, and the phone cum pad is supposed to arrive after 5 days.

What is your opinion on this.
She will be using it as her sole phone as well as tablet.
Old 18th May 2013, 21:28   #1230
Senior - BHPian

How are the following deals?
Blackberry playbook 32GB Wifi only, 16 months old for 8.5K
Motorola Xoom 4G LTE, 32 GB (with 8GB SD card), 13 months old for 11K?

Most Viewed