Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2013, 09:36   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

What about the good old - http://www.ainolindia.com/ainol-novo...-bean-ips.html etc - they are juicy for the price!
Old 5th July 2013, 13:36   #1277
Senior - BHPian

So RIM (BB) has officially killed the PlayBook. Their CEO announced yesterday (and backtracked on his word) that they'll not be rolling out OS10 for the PB. A tweet from him earlier this year had raised hopes of owners.

RIM is definitely one company who knows how to systematically destroy its stronghold over an exclusive product and take a series of wrong decisions (bad pricing, slow roll out, not reacting to market sentiment etc). As it is, the company is plunging into losses despite having some of the best products and technology. The least they could have done is to keep existing owners/users satisfied.
Old 5th July 2013, 13:51   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me how much data skype consumes if I use a 3G connection on an iPad mini?? I am considering buying one.
Old 5th July 2013, 18:48   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
So RIM (BB) has officially killed the PlayBook. Their CEO announced yesterday (and backtracked on his word) that they'll not be rolling out OS10 for the PB. A tweet from him earlier this year had raised hopes of owners.
Uh oh. I was thinking of buying the PB someday assuming that it would get BB10 upgrade. Very Sad news indeed for BB fans.
So what are they going to do with the PB now? Launch a new h/w altogether that supports BB10 or keep upgrading PB O/s with minor tweaks which i dont think will last long.

Anyways, i picked up a Tab2 for wifey recently. Its indeed a perfect VFM product. I am yet to test it out completely but the first impressions are good. Here are the reasons for buying tab2
1. Price - 16k
2. Calling - Wife can now use a spare phone# for emergency.
3. Skype - If wifi is not there, 3G should work atleast
4. Form Factor - Fits well in hands and in her purse.
5. Decent camera.
Old 5th July 2013, 20:30   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Uh oh. I was thinking of buying the PB someday assuming that it would get BB10 upgrade. Very Sad news indeed for BB fans.
So what are they going to do with the PB now? Launch a new h/w altogether that supports BB10 or keep upgrading PB O/s with minor tweaks which i dont think will last long.
Rightly said. Minor updates don't make any sense anymore. OS10 would have been a killer feature. AFAIK, no new PBs are in the offing. As per the CEO, he killed it because he didn't foresee enough user and developer base
Old 5th July 2013, 21:34   #1281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I bought this transformer 700 from Amazon, with the dock as a birthday gift for the missus, and just got it in my hands.
I have to say, I'm tempted to ditch it as a gift, and keep it for myself!!
Supreme build, 4.1.1,good repository on xda, and it just feels so nicely weighted.
Now, someone suggest a fully functional Office suite, paid would also be fine.
Well, I've been using this on and off in conjunction with the dock.
As a total replacement for a windows device, it fails.

But as a device for not very hardcore office work, videos, chats, messaging, sns, its a hundred times better.
Mostly because of the keyboard.

Coupled with the 1tb seagate wireless, and hdmi out, its fantastically convenient on trips and for presentations.

Excellent buy, I must say. And the thing is lightning on its feet! Super fast, super responsive.

As for updates, it got an update when I unboxed it to check, and 10 days later another one when the missus received it! Awesome.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:14   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

RIM is definitely one company who knows how to systematically destroy its stronghold over an exclusive product and take a series of wrong decisions (bad pricing, slow roll out, not reacting to market sentiment etc). As it is, the company is plunging into losses despite having some of the best products and technology. The least they could have done is to keep existing owners/users satisfied.
Indeed a big blow for those who purchased it pre-owned hoping to get BB10 on it in a few months.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:48   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Anyways, i picked up a Tab2 for wifey recently. Its indeed a perfect VFM product. I am yet to test it out completely but the first impressions are good. Here are the reasons for buying tab2
1. Price - 16k
Same case, I too got it but for my parents just last week. The price you quoted seems bit on higher side, though not much. I got it from Pune at 14,450/- without any accessory.

Note: Samsung silently running a brand web redeption offer, all Tab2 owners who reports their purchases will get a complimentary BluetTooth headset. Offer valid till the 10th of July Customer to visit www.samsungindiamarketing.com/tab2 to redeem the bluetooth offer.
Old 8th July 2013, 13:37   #1284
BHPian

Thanks ispoke. Will definately go through the offer and update this thread.
Old 9th July 2013, 17:29   #1285
BHPian

Gents, Need advice

My XOOM has a fall. end result, motherboard is a goner. Per se service center, repair estimate is around 18 K INR . Got it checked in Gaffar market and repairs guys has no knowledge on circuitry, so unable to do any repairs.

What are the options. Any clues to a good & cost effective repair shop in NCR. If Nothing pops up, perhaps some body can use it as a donor for spares.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 9th July 2013 at 17:30.
Old 24th July 2013, 08:48   #1286
BHPian

New Nexus 7 unboxing video before official announcement tomorrow -

Old 24th July 2013, 13:41   #1287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Gents, Need advice

My XOOM has a fall. end result, motherboard is a goner. Per se service center, repair estimate is around 18 K INR . Got it checked in Gaffar market and repairs guys has no knowledge on circuitry, so unable to do any repairs.

What are the options. Any clues to a good & cost effective repair shop in NCR. If Nothing pops up, perhaps some body can use it as a donor for spares.
My suggestion: Take it to a competent cell phone repair shop.
I purchased a Xoom tablet for around 11K (pre-owned) a few months ago. So, spending 18K does not make sense at all.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 27th July 2013, 10:41   #1288
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Google and Asus seem to have done a stellar job with the new Nexus 7!

It now gets a 1920*1200 display (323 ppi) in the same 7" form factor. RAM has been doubled to 2GB, the processor is faster, a 5 MP rear camera, wireless charging and a slim port have been added while wi-fi is now dual band.

The biggest flaw of the original Nexus 7 was the absolutely terrible sound. This seems to be addressed now with stereo speakers belting out surround sound powered by Fraunhofer.

A regressive step is downgrading the battery capacity from 4325 mAh to 3950 mAh. The original Nexus7's battery life was already poor, so this should be even worse with the upgraded specs.

It's priced starting at $229 in the US, which is excellent value for money for the specs on offer. It remains to be seen when, and for how much it will be available in India. The current one is now sold for Rs.16k on the Play store. Come on Google, please stick to the value for money pricing for the new one as well.

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/

Last edited by RSR : 27th July 2013 at 10:44.
Old 6th August 2013, 17:15   #1289
BHPian

For anyone looking to buy a Samsung Tab, there is a good deal running on ebay currently. Samsung Tab 3 T211 is available from Croma ebay store at Rs.14409/- with free shipping. At this price, it seems to be cheaper than Tab 2 P3100.

Link.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:16   #1290
BHPian

I wanted a tab mostly to read PDF and pictures and found 7 inch screens a bit too small for me.The new nexus 7 is awesome but recent touch screen issues(i wont be able to return the tab if something goes wrong) made me look at the nook HD+ which is very similar to the kindle fire HD 8.9 in specification.

My budget is around 250$ and most of the decent 9 or 10 inch tabs are 300$ plus in the US which is way above my budget.
How is the nook hd+ ? Its on some clearance sale for 150$. It has got some good support by devs for custom roms so is it a good buy?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks