Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2014, 17:21   #1531
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cover for Nexus 7 (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
What cover should I get for my Nexus 7 tablet? Thinking of a backcover + pouch or a flipcover. Does using a flipcover add too much weight? I'll be holding the tab for most of the time, and I already have Carpal tunnel syndrome. The ones I found online were too costly. Will buy something locally. What are the good brands?

What do you recommend?
Got this: http://www.ebay.in/itm/231235850096?...84.m1438.l2661

I have the teal orange flipcover. Its very high quality. I recommend it..its worth every rupee!!

Last edited by NIP : 27th June 2014 at 17:22.
Old 27th June 2014, 18:11   #1532
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

My Nexus 7 (2012 version) suffered a fall sometime ago, when I was connecting it to a power socket. The glass shattered, rendering it unusable as I didn't put a cover on it.

Is it worth buying the screen online and fixing it as a D-I-Y? The Nexus 7 is supposed to be an easily repairable device for the end user. Or should I take it to a service centre to get the screen changed? Would it be worth spending money to change the screen?

Last edited by RSR : 27th June 2014 at 18:12.
Old 29th June 2014, 12:48   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
My Nexus 7 (2012 version) suffered a fall sometime ago, when I was connecting it to a power socket. The glass shattered, rendering it unusable as I didn't put a cover on it.

Is it worth buying the screen online and fixing it as a D-I-Y? The Nexus 7 is supposed to be an easily repairable device for the end user. Or should I take it to a service centre to get the screen changed? Would it be worth spending money to change the screen?
Fixing a Nexus 7 is apparently easy. It all depends whether you have the time and patience to fix it and whether a replacement screen is available to you. I don't think the Asus Service Centers would be very costly, in case you cannot procure the screen. You will at least have peace of mind. Do keep us informed. All the best!

Step-by-step tutorial: How to replace a cracked or broken Nexus 7 screen and digitizer

Last edited by amolbh : 29th June 2014 at 12:50.
Old 29th June 2014, 16:32   #1534
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
Fixing a Nexus 7 is apparently easy. It all depends whether you have the time and patience to fix it and whether a replacement screen is available to you. I don't think the Asus Service Centers would be very costly, in case you cannot procure the screen. You will at least have peace of mind. Do keep us informed. All the best!

Step-by-step tutorial: How to replace a cracked or broken Nexus 7 screen and digitizer
Thank you, amolbh! I like fixing broken/malfunctioning things by myself wherever I can, so I thought of buying the screen online and replacing it myself. The Nexus is indeed one of the easiest tablets to repair. However, after reading comments by folks who changed the screen on their own, I found that it could go wrong occasionally. The touchscreen would work fine, but there is a chance of getting streaks or lines across the display, marring the viewing experience.

So you're right, I think I should give the Asus guys a chance now, to avoid such an issue. I hope it doesn't cost too much, as tablets with specs equivalent to the 2012 Nexus 7 are available at reasonable prices.
Old 17th July 2014, 17:54   #1535
BHPian

Which Tablet to buy Apple iPad/ Samsung Tab 4/ Samsung Galaxy Note

Dear Friends,

I am searching for a decent tablet to be presented to my sister on her Bday. What I am looking for is a reliable, rugged and value for money tablet. She already has a laptop and iPhone and hence this is purely for doing things while leisure time. I am confused between iPad Mini/ Samsung Tab 4 8.0"/ Samsung Note 8.0"

Please suggest which one should I opt?

Thanks,
Bharathi

Last edited by ForeRunner : 17th July 2014 at 17:56. Reason: Spelling
Old 31st July 2014, 22:56   #1536
BHPian

Hello Folks,

My Nexus 2012 screen is cracked , display is fine but touch screen is unusable. Please let me if there are any suggestions on service centres/ repair shops in Bangalore to fix this issue ?

Thanks
Suhas
Old 31st July 2014, 23:51   #1537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasark View Post
My Nexus 2012 screen is cracked , display is fine but touch screen is unusable. Please let me if there are any suggestions on service centres/ repair shops in Bangalore to fix this issue ?
You can see the response 4 posts up.

You can get a screen+digitizer combo off ebay & DIY. It's a simple job - doesn't take more than 1/2hr.

I replaced my screen about a year ago.
Old 1st August 2014, 12:01   #1538
BHPian

Re: Which Tablet to buy Apple iPad/ Samsung Tab 4/ Samsung Galaxy Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Dear Friends,

I am searching for a decent tablet to be presented to my sister on her Bday. What I am looking for is a reliable, rugged and value for money tablet. She already has a laptop and iPhone and hence this is purely for doing things while leisure time. I am confused between iPad Mini/ Samsung Tab 4 8.0"/ Samsung Note 8.0"

Please suggest which one should I opt?

Thanks,
Bharathi
Please go for the iPad mini. Its worth every penny you spend when compared to any Android tablet out there. Since your sister is already using an iPhone and hopefully enjoying it - she will not appreciate quality offered by Samsung and Android.

The 8" iPad mini or Tab 4 is the best size for a tablet I reckon.

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2014, 01:01   #1539
BHPian

Re: Which Tablet to buy Apple iPad/ Samsung Tab 4/ Samsung Galaxy Note

Thanks pahwa.. I agree with you on the quality of Apple products. But lately I feel that Apple is slowing losing the race to its competitors in terms of technology advancements and flexibility to the users. I will still have the restriction to share files on the go and no option of adding secondary memory is a very clear disadvantage. And the quality also has deteriorated in the last couple of years. My iPhone 5C (less than a year old) has been replaced twice by Apple (eventually i lost vital data stored in it). But my other iPhone4 and two more iPhone 3GS in our family are still working fine even after 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Please go for the iPad mini. Its worth every penny you spend when compared to any Android tablet out there. Since your sister is already using an iPhone and hopefully enjoying it - she will not appreciate quality offered by Samsung and Android.

The 8" iPad mini or Tab 4 is the best size for a tablet I reckon.

Cheers
Old 5th August 2014, 09:29   #1540
Senior - BHPian

A relative wants to spend 5k to buy his son a NEW tablet as a gift on his 8th birthday within a week or so. I frankly think tablets in this range would practically be trash, but to each their own.

Which android tablet in this range (max upto 6-7k, if it is really nice) would folks recommend?
Old 5th August 2014, 11:15   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
A relative wants to spend 5k to buy his son a NEW tablet as a gift on his 8th birthday within a week or so. I frankly think tablets in this range would practically be trash, but to each their own.

Which android tablet in this range (max upto 6-7k, if it is really nice) would folks recommend?
Check out Lenovo A1000 series - Amazon lists the price as 4.9k

http://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-A1000L-T...7217473&sr=1-3

Last edited by zenren : 5th August 2014 at 11:17.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:17   #1542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I did this too, some time back.
2 months, and the tab is finished, physically, and OS wise. I think it was a Ubislate7c. Theyre cheap for a reason. Broke apart after 3-4 falls.

Although, I have read the HCL tabs are good in that range, but a kid throwing it against a wall is a kid throwing it against a wall.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:32   #1543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What is the intended use of the tablet?
In case it is going to act as a portable video player, then go for the BB Playbook (which was available in this range a few weeks ago).

If usage is for games, then avoid Playbook, since there are not many good games on that platform (and sideloading does not work very well).
Old 9th August 2014, 11:00   #1544
BHPian

I am keen to buy a kindle 7 HDX mainly for web browsing and reading newspapers and magazines.

Would anybody be able to point out any deficiencies as far the screen size is concerned or any other issues for these usages?

Regards

Himanshu
Old 9th August 2014, 11:08   #1545
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
I am keen to buy a kindle 7 HDX mainly for web browsing and reading newspapers and magazines.

Would anybody be able to point out any deficiencies as far the screen size is concerned or any other issues for these usages?

Regards

Himanshu
Does the Kindle allow you connect to the Google Play? I don't think so - not without doing all kinds of hacks. There are other regular Android Tablets - why not look at one of them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks