Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2006, 11:39   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
@ Samurai - I was concerned about the FE bacs I was contemplating which would be better a driver for 3000 pm and one of my existing cars or a santro automatic
I am sorry, I wasn't referring to your question at that point. The auto Santro is the most expensive of all the Santro trims. Still the used car buyers were expecting to pay lower for the auto car thinking it has lower FE. I found that expectation rather simple minded to put it lightly.
Old 24th January 2006, 11:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I am sorry, I wasn't referring to your question at that point. The auto Santro is the most expensive of all the Santro trims. Still the used car buyers were expecting to pay lower for the auto car thinking it has lower FE. I found that expectation rather simple minded to put it lightly.
No problem I just wanted to know what the FE of an auto box would be. Never had an auto car before so just wanted to know.

Pretty good figures aint it? My bro's manual santro was giving around 10 / 16 city/highway.

Guess i'll go for the santro automatic. Dont know if i can get a car for test drive in coimbatore though. Have to check with the dealers.
Old 24th January 2006, 13:22   #18
BHPian

I believe that the auto-box on the Skoda Laura is quite amazing and responsive. Supposdley it works on some sort of twin clutch system which does not lt it loose pickup when shifting.
Anyone care to elaborate on this or know's how this works??
Old 24th January 2006, 14:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
No problem I just wanted to know what the FE of an auto box would be. Never had an auto car before so just wanted to know.

Pretty good figures aint it? My bro's manual santro was giving around 10 / 16 city/highway.

Guess i'll go for the santro automatic. Dont know if i can get a car for test drive in coimbatore though. Have to check with the dealers.
If you are willing to stretch your budget a bit further (ok.. maybe a lot further), why not take a TD of the Honday City CVT - it drives like a dream and gives an FE of 11-13 in city with AC.

Of course, it may be a bit underpowered for highways. But inside a city, with its light steering and small turning radius, its a breeze to drive.
Old 24th January 2006, 14:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
If you are willing to stretch your budget a bit further (ok.. maybe a lot further), why not take a TD of the Honday City CVT - it drives like a dream and gives an FE of 11-13 in city with AC.

Of course, it may be a bit underpowered for highways. But inside a city, with its light steering and small turning radius, its a breeze to drive.
Have driven a OHC automatic. If i can get a used OHC auto, then its a win win situation. Fits my budget, purpose and image

My budget is 4.5L max. Let me see if i can get a good condition OHC auto. If not its the santro then.
Old 24th January 2006, 15:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

OHC autos are one of the most reliable around. The engine tranny combo is bullet proof and the gearbox goes on for endless kms. Plus they are fun to drive too

I say go for an OHC auto
Old 25th January 2006, 02:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
thanks guys,

of course test drive is what will make the difference, we just wanted to shortlist the cars based on opinions.

Right on track.take a test drive of the cars and decide

invecs has the magic of both the worlds Automatic and a manual.

takes some time getting used to shift properly in the manual mode.

Considering the OHC lancer is certainly more powerful and has more features. Added advantage is that you will get one at a good price too.
Old 30th January 2006, 14:59   #23

for a first timer...better option would be santro automatic...low running costs comparatively....
Old 27th February 2009, 10:13   #24
BHPian

Santro AT, FE

My dad's Santro AT has done 6000kms and is 7 months old... His FE is 8km and at times 10. Is there something that can be looked into for a better FE. He satisfied with the drive, and likes the car.
Pls Advice.
Old 27th February 2009, 17:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
My dad's Santro AT has done 6000kms and is 7 months old... His FE is 8km and at times 10. Is there something that can be looked into for a better FE. He satisfied with the drive, and likes the car.
Pls Advice.
I assume the drive is around Thiruvalla and with AC. Short distance drives usually take a toll on the mileage.

I hope the OD is on!
Old 28th February 2009, 01:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
I assume the drive is around Thiruvalla and with AC. Short distance drives usually take a toll on the mileage.
I hope the OD is on!
TrrK, well he lives in Tvm and he's done long trips upto cochin (250 kms)... and ofcourse in tvm city too. I was hoping that he'd get an average of 12 (9 city and 15 highway) is that out of bounds for a automatic? yes the OD is on.
I guess we always compare FE cause the Manual version gives more.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

The original thread owner has long gone for more than 2 years. However, refer post above. On highways, FE should be acceptable for Santro AT.
Old 28th February 2009, 16:26   #28
BHPian

not much can be done on AT cars. just accelerate gradually. one cannot change the way we drive in AT. with manuals one can recommend when how to shift gears.
Old 28th February 2009, 19:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
TrrK, well he lives in Tvm and he's done long trips upto cochin (250 kms)... and ofcourse in tvm city too. I was hoping that he'd get an average of 12 (9 city and 15 highway) is that out of bounds for a automatic? yes the OD is on.
I guess we always compare FE cause the Manual version gives more.
I would probably expect / accept 10 / 13 for city / highway with AC driven judiciously.

If you haven't seen them already, please check the following posts

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1100792

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post908942
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:01   #30
BHPian

Well, this is one of my fav topic.

About Santro AT, I think it is discontinued, as 2 month back i got the same reply from the dealer. (not sure, they have again made it available)

OHC AT best in town, especially in the price range.

i10 At & NHC CVT, best VFM / Luxury in their respective price segments.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks