Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:00   #181
BHPian

Re: Brand new Nano or preowned Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiautonate View Post
Sorry to confront you but Nano is safe in case of accidents, may be more or equivalent but not less.

Nano has a great resale value. I have seen 2007 model LXI going as high as 1.5 to 1.7 lacs . Comapre it with a 2007 model Civic at 4.00 Lacs
I completely agree with you about the safety of the Nano that is equivalent or greater than the Alto.

On the other hand, I don't think the Nano was around in 2007 ( launched in 2009) and I know for a fact that the Nano has lousy resale value. You can expect the Nano to loose a minimum of 25% of its value in the very 1st year.
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:10   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
On the other hand, I don't think the Nano was around in 2007 ( launched in 2009) and I know for a fact that the Nano has lousy resale value.
The earlier statement about resale by @Passi maybe a typo for Alto. Also as first mentioned mileage is a very key factor, atleast over 16+kmpl in city is expected

Last edited by girishglg : 2nd October 2012 at 00:18.
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:13   #183

From my perspective, a funky colored Nano loaded to the brim makes for an affordable yet stylish city runabout hatch because,
1. Offers roughly 20% more leg space than alto.
2. Upright Seating Stance,more head space which is ideal fo frequent ingress/egress that the city chores demand.
3. Light and short, easily flickable through city traffic, commendable acceleration.
4.Cheaper

The charm of driving a new car is inexplicable and unparalleled. A pre owned car without complete service details is misterious at best. A person on lean budget wouldn't welcome an unexpected malfunction on his recently bought car.

Beware of Tata Service though.
cawnpore ghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:16   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
The earlier statement about resale seems like a typo for Alto. Also as first mentioned mileage is a very key factor, atleast over 16+kmpl in city
Girish,

My suggestion for you is to look for a pre-owned Nano; you will get great deals. My 2010 Nano will sell for around One Lakh now. So you can get a car in showroom condition and still have money left over.

The Nano can give excellent mileage, provided it is driven sensibly. On Highways, I get over 22 kmpl and in the city around 16-18 with the AC.

It is very easy to drive around in the city, far better than anything else.

Downside is, the TATA A.S.S. is not the best.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:39   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Girish,

My suggestion for you is to look for a pre-owned Nano; you will get great deals. My 2010 Nano will sell for around One Lakh now. So you can get a car in showroom condition and still have money left over.

The Nano can give excellent mileage, provided it is driven sensibly. On Highways, I get over 22 kmpl and in the city around 16-18 with the AC.

It is very easy to drive around in the city, far better than anything else.

Downside is, the TATA A.S.S. is not the best.
That is in fact a great suggestion and to begin with my coz was also open to the idea but for the fact that the positive sentiment created by the Nano 2012 made him think of a new one. Also the fact that it would be a brand new car is still a big draw.

The real question is how better is the 2012 spec Nano better than the earlier ones and would it really make a difference buying this one instead of the older vehicles. Alto in comparison is a much more proven vehicle and MASS makes it even easier to keep up and running.

The key aspect here is how does Nano age down the years to choose a pre owned one, that is in terms of reliability and maintenance required say for a 2010 model. Any insight on this from a Nano owner like you would be swell.
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:04   #186
BHPian

I am sure one can always wait for a week or two in making such decisions.
Because once you take such decisions cant undo it.
So i'd suggest you to wait for the Alto 800 to be launched.
Once it is launched look at what it has to offer, then compare it with the other options you have.
Meanwhile keep looking for a pre worshiped car, and short list the ones which may interest you.

Do some analysis on the options you have ask your family as well
And go for the one which you like amongst the all, because there's always that one option that you prefer over the others.

Take a decision that makes u happy, and not the one others tell you to, that i'll only make you regret later on.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:38   #187
Senior - BHPian

It is a no trainer, if the comparison is between Pre-owned Alto and new Nano, for me, it will be Nano. But like others suggested, wait until the new Alto is released to take a final decision.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:11   #188
BHPian

Go for new Nano; the CX variant would save you some more cash too. It certainly ticks all the boxes as far as your requirements are concerned. I am saying this as a happy Nano owner for more than one year.

Last edited by avingodb : 2nd October 2012 at 10:12. Reason: typo
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:15   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Go for new Nano; the CX variant would save you some more cash too. It certainly ticks all the boxes as far as your requirements are concerned. I am saying this as a happy Nano owner for more than one year.
Thats good to hear from a Nano owner himself. Now as mentioned earlier a few questions -

1. What is the real time mileage you get from your car in city with A/c on and off?
2. What has been the cost of maintenance of your car over the period of time and your TASS experience?
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:56   #190
Senior - BHPian

Given your budget and requirements, I have to say that a used alto is the best suited.

The new alto almost certainly will not fit within your budget otr Bangalore. The nano is a good car but there a couple of areas of concern for me.

The storage area sits on top of the engine, which can be a bit of a concern if you have perishable food items in the car for a long period of time.

There is no boot opening which makes putting and removing luggage/shopping from the car a bit of a pain.

A.S.S is not upto Maruti standards which can be a concern.

Finally the petrol tank is only 15 liters which makes the alto a better car if you ever do decide to take the car on a bit of a long distance drive.
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:19   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
a few questions -
My Nano's average is between 16.5 and 19 kmpl. 16.5 was recorded during peak Delhi summer. And I do believe that I can get better average by driving more light footed.
My experience with one service centre was bad. I simply did not go to them second time, but in another one I befriended one service guy and deal with him individually and he is pretty efficient so I am happy.

Maintenance cost has been zero. Only caveat could be that my car has been used for about 6k over one year. Only thing that costed me was fluid changes during the 1 Year Service, that too because I did not buy AMC at the time of the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
The storage area;
A.S.S;
Finally the petrol tank
1) One has to be really forgetful to leave something in boot area for long times and let it be here. Hopefully should not happen to someone looking to drive the car within city limits.
2) the Tata after-sales is something one can live with. Its about being informed and making personal contacts with service chaps.
3)Again, petrol tankful can last between 180 and 225 kms on an average for city runs, which is the main concern of Girish here.

Also, Nano scores above Alto in ingress/egress ease, better AC and super easy turning radious among other things.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:40   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) One has to be really forgetful to leave something in boot area for long times and let it be here. Hopefully should not happen to someone looking to drive the car within city limits.
2) the Tata after-sales is something one can live with. Its about being informed and making personal contacts with service chaps.
3)Again, petrol tankful can last between 180 and 225 kms on an average for city runs, which is the main concern of Girish here.

Also, Nano scores above Alto in ingress/egress ease, better AC and super easy turning radious among other things.
What I meant was say perishables were in the car for the day while you were driving around. However much you insulate it, the storage area of a nano is warmer than that of an alto.

I agree that A.S.S is very dependent on your relationship with the people and the centre you use but as a rule of thumb Maruti is the best in the country when you put everything together is all. That is not to say there aren't bad Maruti A.S.S's too.

I agree that the nano range is sufficient for town and even highway use but the alto will definitely run further on a tank which means going to the gas station less often. Also, in the event that they do need or wish to use the car for an out of town drive, the alto is more convenient is all.

I agree the nano is a smaller car externally which makes parking easier and the turning circle smaller, thereby making driving in a place like Bangalore less stressful. Yes ingress/egress are also better.

My view is that as an overall package, the alto is better than the nano is all
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:09   #193
BHPian

Well, my comments are within the parameters of the threadstarter "New Nano or used Alto".

On the point of perishables in the car for the day, it would be more logical to not buy them in the first place if you have to drive all day along, whatever car you may have.

Lets agree to disagree beyond that.
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:08   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, my comments are within the parameters of the threadstarter "New Nano or used Alto".

On the point of perishables in the car for the day, it would be more logical to not buy them in the first place if you have to drive all day along, whatever car you may have.

Lets agree to disagree beyond that.
My comments too were within the parameters of the op thread, though I see that I didn't make that clear. My bad.

Let us agree to disagree about the perishables. I agree with you that it makes no sense to do so, and I agree I may have framed my point badly. Let me just say the following. Suppose you need to go out in the morning and only come back early afternoon after first say doing grocery shopping then other work and can't come back just to drop groceries off is all. A very probable occurrence in a big city if you don't go shopping 5 minutes from home
Old 2nd October 2012, 15:31   #195
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I would suggest to go for a brand new Nano. This will ensure that the family has trouble free ownership for next couple of years.
Getting a "good" used car is a challenge in itself & once you buy a used Car some or other small maintenance issues keep on cropping up.

As suggested by others above I will also advise to have a look at new Alto 800 for which pre-booking has already started - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16634362.cms.

If daily running cost is a concern & if the family wants to go for a used Car, then I will suggest to buy a 2005 / 2006 used Car like Santro or WagonR & install a CNG Kit.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed