Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:37   #271
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto vs Chevrolet Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
Thanks @honeybee. That is something I wanted to hear. Right now I am busy with some guests around. Will visit the showroom again after they leave. Also thinking if December will get me some additional offers.
Now on the arena we have,

A Dec 2010 (bought in Feb 2012) Alto K10 LXi well taken care by the previous owner, with remote locking, Pioneer Music system with 4 speakers, reverse horn, leather seat covers; just driven around 8000 Km. He is quoting Rs 2.6 L.

vs

A brand new Tata Nano Special Edition (Alloy wheels, Music system with 2 speakers, Glove box) at a price of Rs 2.35 L.

Still not able to decide who will win the bout and come to our stable . We will help any points from the community towards helping us make a decision.

Our requirements in brief are here

Quote:
  1. Fuel efficiency
  2. Low initial investment and maintenance cost
  3. Max 500 km per month and almost entirely within the city limits.
  4. Ease of use in Hyderabad - notorious for its traffic sense.
  5. Mostly will be carrying the driver alone, but occassionally 4.
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:53   #272
Senior - BHPian

@rk, Nano. It's brand new with company warranty.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:16   #273
BHPian

Quote:

A Dec 2010 (bought in Feb 2012) Alto K10 LXi well taken care by the previous owner, with remote locking, Pioneer Music system with 4 speakers, reverse horn, leather seat covers; just driven around 8000 Km. He is quoting Rs 2.6 L.

vs

A brand new Tata Nano Special Edition (Alloy wheels, Music system with 2 speakers, Glove box) at a price of Rs 2.35 L.

Still not able to decide who will win the bout and come to our stable . We will help any points from the community towards helping us make a decision.

NANO - special edition. (I own one too - just got it 4 days ago)

Complete peace of mind for 4 years. Go for the AMC as well only 3100 Rs.
Company warranty.
Plenty of goodies too.
Relatively NEW (as close to new as possible)
MORE space
Better AC
CUTER
Fun to drive around
SMALLER on the outside - better for parking.
MUCH More comfortable on the inside - Driving position. Seats etc

ONLY negative for Nano so far is the CLUTCH only in the 1st gear pick up.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 03:35   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

vs

Go with Nano Special Edition. Being SE, it will hold its value in market and comes with super goodies for the price. All other points are well documented. It is new and in same classification of cars. If it was a pre-owned swift or similar, it would have been different. But for same class of cars, stick to new one.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 10:20   #275
BHPian

Quote:

Re resale, tata cars don't hold their value against maruti products, period. (Disclaimer: I own a tata car, owned a maruti previously).
Forget about warranty and AMC, just that warranty is free and amc is available would one like to keep visiting services centers for all the minor or major niggles which partly the car and partly the service center are responsible?

Maruti service is way better than Tata's, atleast in hyderabad. Other than being roomy for 4 people, Nano has everything else on a lower scale than alto k10. So, if you can afford the price and difference in fuel economy go for alto, peace of mind. But, if the budget is constraint and you are open to the many workshop/mechanic visits that a tata car, in general, will command go for nano, fun while it lasts.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 12:46   #276
BHPian

I own an Alto LX. I often have to pickup elderly relatives & it's an ordeal for them to crouch & squeeze into back seat. Now that we removed the sun film, the A/C at max setting is simply not enough around noon (now in Dec it's better - but it's a bit stuffy even in Sep.).

Both were a big plus in Nano.
viggienomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 15:27   #277
BHPian

Quote:

vs

Go for the alto k10. The reason being, alto feels better during drive, being composed better (atleast the shape is symmetrical with all the wheels of same size) and built better of the two (i can see vibrations in the rear doors of nano during idling in one of my friend's car, it went for the first service that day), in maintenance I believe nano should be cheaper, but alto is also not costlier with respect to maintenance... moreover if you compare the engineering spec, the alto should not at all be compared to nano, it has the best petrol engine among the small cars... Also if in case you are looking to take 4 for a sudden trip that may have some highway driving, alto is better compared to nano here. last but not the least resale, alto now-a-days itself is looked as a brand instead of a product..
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 17:27   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Maruti service is way better than Tata's, atleast in hyderabad.
Thank you for your feedback.

I never owned a Maruti, but had a Fiat Palio (which is also serviced by Tata) and have found Tejaswini better than Concorde and Mallik in terms of service. Which service center do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Also if in case you are looking to take 4 for a sudden trip that may have some highway driving, alto is better compared to nano here. last but not the least resale, alto now-a-days itself is looked as a brand instead of a product..
Thanks Balaji. We need this as a second car primarily for my wife's office commute and occasional grocery shopping. For all the highway driving and family outings, it is our trusted Xylo.

Resale value, I understand will be bad for Nano. But in general, we haven't been changing cars quite often unless there is a major issue. We used our Palio for 9 years, Xylo is going strong after 3 years. Even my bike is almost turning 14 and in perfect running condition.
Old 4th December 2012, 20:04   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair

I never owned a Maruti, but had a Fiat Palio (which is also serviced by Tata) and have found Tejaswini better than Concorde and Mallik in terms of service. Which service center do you use?

Thanks Balaji. We need this as a second car primarily for my wife's office commute
I had been to Tejaswi multiple times, though better than concorde, they still cause a lot of heart burn at every service. These days am getting car serviced from smaller but competent workshops.

For a second car nano makes more sense than alto. Some valid points like space inside and outside tilts scale in its favor, for a second car though.
Old 5th December 2012, 00:03   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Balaji. We need this as a second car primarily for my wife's office commute and occasional grocery shopping. For all the highway driving and family outings, it is our trusted Xylo.

Resale value, I understand will be bad for Nano. But in general, we haven't been changing cars quite often unless there is a major issue. We used our Palio for 9 years, Xylo is going strong after 3 years. Even my bike is almost turning 14 and in perfect running condition.
I have owned a M800 and a Santro and now the Nano (plus an Ikon in the family). Except the Nano all others are pre-owned (or pre-worshipped?). The Nano is my daily drive (~50kms a day) and I have now spent more than four months (clocking more than 7000kms) with it.

I have had to take it twice to the A.S.S. once for a broken rear passenger window (reason unknown, the entire glass had to be replaced), and once for a blown blower (replaced under warranty). It's not exactly an apple to apple comparo, but I think the Nano is right up there with the Maruti and the Hyundai when it comes to service centre visits.

The AC is the best I have experienced so far (including the Ikon 1.6), and my personal opinion is it scores over the Alto in this respect.

The tallboy design frees up a lot of headroom, makes getting in and out a breeze and the ample cabin can store all your shopping. There's a small but functional boot (I used it to carry four people's luggage for two days).

Coming to the city driving characteristics, the car can easily do around 60kmph in just the second gear. The high ground clearance means you don't always have to crawl over speedbreakers and potholes. You could drive it around all the time in just the second gear. Mind you, even the Santro (with its extra 500cc and great low-end torque) would not allow me to do this. Ironically the only other car I have which allows me this is the Ikon.

As far as the driving pleasure goes, again the engine makes you marvel at what Tatas have put into it. It could give the bigger sedans and SUVs a run for their money on the city roads. It zips around the numerous obstacles and small lanes with such agility you are amazed at the car. All the while the AC keeps you chilled, so no lack of performance after switching on the AC.

I don't know about the Alto 800, but the Alto K10 is a serious problem to drive in the city because it has virtually no low-end torque.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 19:15   #281
BHPian

Finally after lot of discussion, debate and test drives, we have booked a Nano Special Edition Papaya Orange. My wife finally took another Alto 800 and Nano test drive today and that sealed the deal in favor of Nano. Thank you friends for sharing the suggestions and your experiences we helped us to come to a decision. The Advisor has told us he will confirm the delivery date on Monday. He says one fresh lot of cars are coming on 13th.
rknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 20:55   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I have owned a M800 and a Santro and now the Nano (plus an Ikon in the family). Except the Nano all others are pre-owned (or pre-worshipped?). The Nano is my daily drive (~50kms a day) and I have now spent more than four months (clocking more than 7000kms) with it.

I have had to take it twice to the A.S.S. once for a broken rear passenger window (reason unknown, the entire glass had to be replaced), and once for a blown blower (replaced under warranty). It's not exactly an apple to apple comparo, but I think the Nano is right up there with the Maruti and the Hyundai when it comes to service centre visits.

The AC is the best I have experienced so far (including the Ikon 1.6), and my personal opinion is it scores over the Alto in this respect.

The tallboy design frees up a lot of headroom, makes getting in and out a breeze and the ample cabin can store all your shopping. There's a small but functional boot (I used it to carry four people's luggage for two days).

Coming to the city driving characteristics, the car can easily do around 60kmph in just the second gear. The high ground clearance means you don't always have to crawl over speedbreakers and potholes. You could drive it around all the time in just the second gear. Mind you, even the Santro (with its extra 500cc and great low-end torque) would not allow me to do this. Ironically the only other car I have which allows me this is the Ikon.

As far as the driving pleasure goes, again the engine makes you marvel at what Tatas have put into it. It could give the bigger sedans and SUVs a run for their money on the city roads. It zips around the numerous obstacles and small lanes with such agility you are amazed at the car. All the while the AC keeps you chilled, so no lack of performance after switching on the AC.

I don't know about the Alto 800, but the Alto K10 is a serious problem to drive in the city because it has virtually no low-end torque.
Totally agree to this.

Just got my Nano LX Special Edition - Pearl White.
Just been 370 kms so far - but it NEVER fails to bring a smile to my face.
It just ZIPS across and is a REALLY REALLY comfortable car.

It is a FANTASTIC VFM package - and the price gap between an Alto & Nano is SIGNIFICANT.

Also - recently I have not noticed any complaints with new Nano owners and Tata service is also improving leaps and bounds.

Quote:
Finally after lot of discussion, debate and test drives, we have booked a Nano Special Edition Papaya Orange. My wife finally took another Alto 800 and Nano test drive today and that sealed the deal in favor of Nano. Thank you friends for sharing the suggestions and your experiences we helped us to come to a decision. The Advisor has told us he will confirm the delivery date on Monday. He says one fresh lot of cars are coming on 13th.
Great choice!
Congratulations!
EnjoY!
Old 10th December 2012, 16:41   #283
VMG
BHPian

Need your views pl.
Is it worth to sell my 8 years old Santro XP (1994 Aug) done only 26K KM and buy a new Nano car?
Since I have a another car ( Cedia) this Santro/Nano will be used only in city.
How much I will get for Santro?
Old 10th December 2012, 17:23   #284
Senior - BHPian

Is your Santro 8-years old or 18 years old (if it is 1994 as you say) ? I believe it is the former, since IIRC there was no Santro/Hyundai here in 1994.

If it is 8-years old and has no issues as such, I would suggest you stick with it, instead of taking a depreciation hit and going for a downgrade.
Especially since usage-wise the Santro is as good as new (done only 26K kms).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 10th December 2012 at 17:30.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:25   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Need your views pl.
Is it worth to sell my 8 years old Santro XP (1994 Aug) done only 26K KM and buy a new Nano car?
Since I have a another car ( Cedia) this Santro/Nano will be used only in city.
How much I will get for Santro?
Do you mean 8 or 18 years?

Both petrol cars and 1 guzzler ...

The Nano will really make for a sweet, practical, comfortable, efficient cute little CITY car.
It does everything you could want - provided you know what you want.

At 2.47 OTR for the LX Special Edition I believe it is THE most complete NEW CAR one can have.

Most Viewed