Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 22:40   #301
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto vs Chevrolet Spark

Thanks guys. This seems a completely one sided battle; Nano it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodoc View Post
Did you consider Datsun Go if space was a priority?
No, luggage space is not critical; also a comparable Go seems to be at least a lakh more than Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
...and depending on when you plan on buying the car, I'd suggest waiting for the Nano AMT if it is out by the first quarter of next year (IMHO only, no evidence/inside information).
AMT will be nice but I should be picking up something pretty quick!
Glass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 17:51   #302
BHPian

Now booked a Nano Twist Damson Purple.
Glass is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 18:03   #303
BHPian

Re: TATA Nano Twist or Hyundai Eon D-Lite+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Hi,

Which of these would be a better 2nd car for short city runs?

The Nano Twist seems to be be loaded with a bunch of features this model of Eon lacks - central locking, front power windows, music system, antenna, tinted glasses, fog lights, LVRM, keyless entry and a power socket among others. The Nano lacks day-light rear view mirror, engine immobilizer and the larger boot.

The sound in Nano seems to be a considerable factor, apart from the so called niggles and service issues. The Eon on the other hand sounds a proper car but is cramped in comparison. The Nano scores on fuel efficiency.

With the Eon costing about 60K more than the Nano Twist after all offers and exchange bonuses, what would be the right choice?

Thanks.
Interestingly enough, I own both the cars and if it's just city usage, look no further than the Nano. Compared to the Eon, the Nano is more peppy in the city, has a way better view, way easier ingress and egress, lot more kit than the entry level Eon, amazing FE even with Air-con (Eon scores pretty poor in bumper to bumper traffic) and amazingly cheap to maintain ( for proof, check my ownership review - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vice-done.html). The A.S.S is pretty ok but they're not too professional but improving steadily. Even after 4 years, the car doesn't feel flimsy or poorly built and is doing great even after undergoing horrible roads on a daily basis.

Before the decision, do take a test-drive for sure

All the best!

EDIT: Didn't see your post! Hearty Congrats and wishing you loads of happy kilometers ahead. Would be great if you could share the deal!

Last edited by freakmuzik : 15th October 2014 at 18:04.
freakmuzik is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 00:46   #304
BHPian

Here comes my Nano Twist ahoy!

Old 10th March 2016, 08:41   #305
BHPian

Cheapest Second/Third Car.

As the title suggests, I am looking for a CHEAP second car.
My sister is a novice driver and her office is around 4 kms from home. She earlier used to ride a scooter, but the changing traffic situation has me insisting on a car.
She believes it is a useless investment, specially since we already have three cars within the family.
I am trying to convince her that for the price of a new Activa, she could get an old but good car, the only caveat being the maintenance costs, which would be certainly double that of any scooter.
I've shortlisted a couple of options, which are priced almost on par (or even lesser) than any new scooter.
1) 2009/2010 model Nano LX - prices in Hyderabad with mileage of anywhere between 20k - 40k kms is around 60,000 Rs.
2) 1998 Zen AT - With the fitness extended and stuff, found some OK-kinda examples for around 60k-70k Rs. These are pretty rare to find.
3) The Good Old Maruti 800.

This has become more of a challenge for me, than a budget constraint. I am of the belief that a well maintained, though old car, within the budget of a new scooter, should be easy to procure and run. Specially considering that this car would run not more than 10kms per day.

Any suggestions from the experts please.
Old 10th March 2016, 12:49   #306
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cheapest Second/Third Car.

Best bet Guru is as below:

1) M 800 of 1994-97 vintage will be about 25K-50K depending on the condition
2) 1999 vintage Zen would be approx. 60Kish or so
3) Tata Nano 2008/09 will be approx. 60k or so.

If you are okay with a sedan,
1) Maruti Esteen on 2001-2002 make should be about 70K ish
2) Daewoo Matiz(part sourcing may be difficult though)- Rs. 25K-Rs.30K of 1999-2002 vintage.
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 12:53   #307
Team-BHP Support

If the distance is that short (~4km one way) and you have three cars in the family already, any chance you can get a driver instead and utilize the existing cars more?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 12:55   #308
BHPian

If i were you I would not consider pre 2000 cars given all the talk about banning the use of cars older than 15years.

The Nano is a rather competent city car. I can say so after having used a friends Nano who bought it second hand for about 65000 to be used as for family runs to the local stores etc. Like you this was their 3rd car in the family.

Also, being relatively new, finding parts for the car will never be a problem.
scuderiamania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 13:24   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_DTSi View Post
She believes it is a useless investment, specially since we already have three cars within the family.

This has become more of a challenge for me, than a budget constraint. I am of the belief that a well maintained, though old car, within the budget of a new scooter, should be easy to procure and run. Specially considering that this car would run not more than 10kms per day.

Any suggestions from the experts please.
I actually agree with your sisters comment that it is a useless investment (More so with 3 cars in the family).

You may find a car at the price of an Activa. But I don't think you can match the maintenance cost of such a car to the Activa.

And please do not consider 10-15 year old cars just for meeting the challenge. I would not even recommend a 6-7 year old Nano. It maybe easy to buy, but will be difficult to live with for your sister (Unless you are around all the time to take care of the car).

As suggested above, maybe a better utilization of the existing cars is a better approach. Or up your budget and get a decent used car and don't focus on meeting the cost of a scooter. That is a losing battle.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 13:58   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all, buying price of the car might be similar to a new scooter but the daily running cost and maintenance will be much higher, almost to the tune of 5~6 times. I hope you have this in your mind. While replacing the parts, it is going to be a 2-4 lakh worth car.

For the budget mentioned, do look around for Nano as well as M800. I have owned/driven either of them and they are ideal for new drivers. At the same, they are the cheapest to maintain.
If you are okay with a slightly expensive maintenance and running cost (due to lower FE) but better car, look for good examples of Zen or 1st gen WagonR/Santro. Tall boys are much more convenient and comfortable for newbie drivers
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 18:38   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Since its your sister, I would suggest you never buy anything that is not reliable.

And for that matter, IMHO, the only car cheapest and that will suit your requirements is the good 'ol 800. that too no older than 2006 and kms ~25,000.

Believe me, any car older that that, or complicated than the 800 will show a lot of problems, which a car enthusiast and a DIY guy may be able to live with, but not a lady who is looking for a practical solution.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 19:11   #312
Team-BHP Support

Guru, none of the cars you have shortlisted has power steering.

Go to Maruti TrueValue and opt for the cheapest Alto or Wagon R. Take a loan if you don't feel like spending a higher amount upfront.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 19:58   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Best bet Guru is as below:

1) M 800 of 1994-97 vintage will be about 25K-50K depending on the condition
2) 1999 vintage Zen would be approx. 60Kish or so
3) Tata Nano 2008/09 will be approx. 60k or so.

If you are okay with a sedan,
1) Maruti Esteen on 2001-2002 make should be about 70K ish
2) Daewoo Matiz(part sourcing may be difficult though)- Rs. 25K-Rs.30K of 1999-2002 vintage.
Thank you for the suggestions Arnab. The Nano is my primary choice, followed by M800 of 2006+ vintage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
If the distance is that short (~4km one way) and you have three cars in the family already, any chance you can get a driver instead and utilize the existing cars more?
I did think of this. Another option for me is to have someone drop her at office and I usually reach home late afternoons, so, I can pick her up from office in the evenings, but I'm not sure how feasible this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
If i were you I would not consider pre 2000 cars given all the talk about banning the use of cars older than 15years.

The Nano is a rather competent city car. I can say so after having used a friends Nano who bought it second hand for about 65000 to be used as for family runs to the local stores etc. Like you this was their 3rd car in the family.

Also, being relatively new, finding parts for the car will never be a problem.
Absolutely agree with you. The only "old" car I've considered is the Zen AT (1998 model), which is just due to it's rarity, and the AT comfort in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I actually agree with your sisters comment that it is a useless investment (More so with 3 cars in the family).

You may find a car at the price of an Activa. But I don't think you can match the maintenance cost of such a car to the Activa.

And please do not consider 10-15 year old cars just for meeting the challenge. I would not even recommend a 6-7 year old Nano. It maybe easy to buy, but will be difficult to live with for your sister (Unless you are around all the time to take care of the car).

As suggested above, maybe a better utilization of the existing cars is a better approach. Or up your budget and get a decent used car and don't focus on meeting the cost of a scooter. That is a losing battle.
I was under the impression that the Nano's niggles have been sorted out by Tata. Unless the car breaks down at office, there's always an Activa at home, for those emergency situations. You observations about the maintenance costs are spot on, and has crossed my mind too. But the peace of mind, in the ever maddening traffic, should negate the concerns about the running and maintenance costs. (Growing Middle class thought process, I guess )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
First of all, buying price of the car might be similar to a new scooter but the daily running cost and maintenance will be much higher, almost to the tune of 5~6 times. I hope you have this in your mind. While replacing the parts, it is going to be a 2-4 lakh worth car.

For the budget mentioned, do look around for Nano as well as M800. I have owned/driven either of them and they are ideal for new drivers. At the same, they are the cheapest to maintain.
If you are okay with a slightly expensive maintenance and running cost (due to lower FE) but better car, look for good examples of Zen or 1st gen WagonR/Santro. Tall boys are much more convenient and comfortable for newbie drivers
What are your observations of the Nano? I've driven it only once, when it was launched, and really didn't know what to make of it, since my experience with driving was limited during those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Since its your sister, I would suggest you never buy anything that is not reliable.

And for that matter, IMHO, the only car cheapest and that will suit your requirements is the good 'ol 800. that too no older than 2006 and kms ~25,000.

Believe me, any car older that that, or complicated than the 800 will show a lot of problems, which a car enthusiast and a DIY guy may be able to live with, but not a lady who is looking for a practical solution.
True that. Couple of years ago, I bought an 800 just for the heck of it (as a new driver myself at that time), from a friend who moved out of town. Had to get the suspension, tires and battery changed (The costliest investment being the tires ). Never ever gave up, in spite of all the abuse that several new drivers would give it (almost all of my friends, who lived in the same neighborhood as me, have learned to drive on this car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Guru, none of the cars you have shortlisted has power steering.

Go to Maruti TrueValue and opt for the cheapest Alto or Wagon R. Take a loan if you don't feel like spending a higher amount upfront.
I never felt the need of PS in the M800, does the Nano warrant a PS? I honestly have no idea about this car, except the belief that since it is a tallboy and a pretty small car, maneuvering it should be easy for even new drivers. Please do provide your observations vis-a-vis Normal Nano and the Nano Twist (I think this is the model with PS).

My heartfelt thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Looks like the Nano is the 1st choice as a 2nd/3rd car.
Old 11th March 2016, 21:01   #314
BHPian

You can get a 2000-2003 Maruti Zen VXi in your budget too. Zen VXi has AC, Power Steering, Front Power Windows as standard. Also, it is pretty cheap to maintain. Would give a fuel efficiency of 9-10 kmpl which is decent for low running. One of the best options & has good pickup too!
carfreak7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 13:01   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak7 View Post
You can get a 2000-2003 Maruti Zen VXi in your budget too. Zen VXi has AC, Power Steering, Front Power Windows as standard. Also, it is pretty cheap to maintain. Would give a fuel efficiency of 9-10 kmpl which is decent for low running. One of the best options & has good pickup too!
Like some others above have already mentioned, I'm slightly vary of older cars, specially with the impending legislation about scrapping cars older than 15 years. A friend's cousin bought a 1999 Zen Lx, which had run for around 60k kms in 2013 and it is his primary car. He has faced absolutely no problems with it, except a radiator issue when he had top up the coolant a dozen times during a 400kms trip. All it took was 400 Rs. to repair the radiator and he hasn't faced any other breakdowns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks