Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 10:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto vs Chevrolet Spark

Hi Friends.
I am contemplating buying a small cheap to run and maintain city runabout. The Spark, Alto & Nano Lx are what I was looking at as 3 options.
Total onroad price in Mumbai should not exceed 3 lakhs. PLEASE, do not suggest any other options that exceed 3 lakhs onroad Mumbai, even if you feel very enthusiastic about the vehicle.
Vehicle will never be used out of city.
While the Alto & Spark are strong contenders, the following things I liked about the Nano, which after being initially dropped from the list , is back again in strong contention.

Alto> Dislikes;
Sitting too low and lack of roominess & interior space.
Likes; peppy engine & reliability.

Spark > Dislikes; Lack on interior space and roominess.
Likes; 3 years maintenance package.

Nano > Dislikes; Lack of spare wheel. Lack of music system.
Likes; very spacious and roomy. Comfortable. This might sound funny but I like that it sounds like a 4 wheel scooter.

Boot space is not a concern at all, since this will be a pure city runabout with 2 occupants max.

What is the fuel consumption of the Nano.
I could not find a Tata Nano review in the Tbhp official new car review section.

The reason im inclined towards the Nano.
Top end version with ac/heater n power windows is 2.5 lakhs onroad.
4 year warranty.
Upright seating with walk in feel.
Very easy to manouvere and park.
Looks chic & ubercool... way way better looking than the prehistoric looking Alto & Spark.

Please brainstorm to help me decide.
Ive heard and know enough of all the positives of why I should buy either a Spark and Alto.

My question here is;
Should I buy a Nano Lx..?
If YES, why??
If NO, why??

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.
Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 10th May 2011 at 10:55.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Nano

As you are looking at a budget of 3L, you can go in for fully kitted out Nano LX and still come in well under budget. You can opt for decals, alloy wheels, Tata authorised music system and lots of other add-ons that Tata offers.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Since you have mentioned that this would strictly be a city car (with 2 occupants max), my vote goes for the Nano. The reasons are pretty much the ones you have stated in the "likes" part of the car.

From what I've heard from people who own the car, they get an average of 16 -17 KMPL. Please note that this person is a very sedate driver and rarely goes above 60 (you really cant in Pune traffic!).

As far as music system is concerned, then you can always retro fit one. You said the budget is 3 lacs. With the Nano being 2.5 L on road, you are still left with 50K. Might as well get a nice system in that remaining money.

Nothing against the Alto or the Spark, but i find the Nano looks pretty peppy compared to the tried and tested looks of the other two.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
From what I've heard from people who own the car, they get an average of 16 -17 KMPL. Please note that this person is a very sedate driver and rarely goes above 60 (you really cant in Pune traffic!).
If it isnt me you are talking about, then you can add one more recommendation to the list!

Yes the Nano gives around 16 kmpl with AC in city traffic. Apart from the ease of ingress/ egress, it offers a high seating position for the driver and better GC than many other small cars (though that may not be a concern for you in Bombay).
If I were you, I would go in for the Nano with my eyes closed. In fact, I was quite apprehensive when we bought one, but a month of ownership has totally changed my perception. It truly is a hoot to drive and actually makes parking a fun activity!
Do check some of the ownership threads around (mine is up finally: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-enter-um.html) for some more information and feeel free to PM me in case you need any details.

Last edited by selfdrive : 10th May 2011 at 11:07.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would also recommend you to go for the Nano, because I believe these days the niggles have been sorted out, & many of our friends who have bought the car (especially recently) have good experience with the car.
The mileage is good as well, & I have no doubt that in Mumbai traffic you would manage 16+.
This car is a head turner for the good reason obviously, when I went to Tata showroom in Delhi, I observed that it was far more spacious & better seats than the Alto (owned by 2 of my uncles), with the only few hitches that I feel one could have with it:
1. Absence of boot opening at the rear.
2. I cannot recall whether the front seats can be moved backwards or front as there is a rod for rigidity of the small car structure that may restrict the movement of the seats. This may be an issue with the taller drivers (not for me), but, anyway it is better than Alto & Spark both.
3. There is no glove box.

On the other hand you can easily add on the accessories (alloys, tints, seat cover, etc) even on the top end model & not exceed you budget.

Regarding one you other observations, I remember that the spare wheel was in the bonnet (as the engine is at the rear). So I would disagree with you.
Not sure about the music system. But, agree about the exhaust note.

Must comment that (strangely) I have always found the Nanos driven faster than whatever mode I am travelling in the city. So can conclude that it is peppy to drive as well.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
2. I cannot recall whether the front seats can be moved backwards or front as there is a rod for rigidity of the small car structure that may restrict the movement of the seats. This may be an issue with the taller drivers (not for me), but, anyway it is better than Alto & Spark both.
3. There is no glove box.

Must comment that (strangely) I have always found the Nanos driven faster than whatever mode I am travelling in the city. So can conclude that it is peppy to drive as well.
the front seats can be moved backwards. one thing to note is the battery is placed below the front passenger seat, so there is actually a rod across the bottom rear. It would be advisable to verify the legroom for the passenger in the left rear seat.

for me the lack of a glove box was a minor irritant in the beginning but this has been offset by keeping a knapsack around. One of our other member has recommended keeping a fitting camera bag in the gap in front of the handbrake lever.

I agree with the Nanos zipping around faster than the other cars on the road. Apart from the engine/ weight, perhaps its due to the lack of a sizeable bonnet, or a higher driving position. Or just that people are not worried about scratches/ dents considering the initial cost?
Old 10th May 2011, 13:57   #7
BHPian

Nano absolutely !

Recently (in last 2 months) got 2 added in the family. One CX and one LX.

Drove the CX and fell in love with the peppy/zippy car. 4 adults and 2 kids were a close fit and we could putter around in Pune traffic with the AC continuosly on.

The CX now has been added with ICE (Pioneer) and extra cushion seat covers to compensate the hard feel of the stock ones.

The cousin who bought the CX works with Tata Motors and got some discount so the on road was 2.38 lacs. Add to it the seat covers and ICE it came to in the range of 2.6 lacs.

Happy buying !
Old 10th May 2011, 15:44   #8
Team-BHP Support

Well, the Nano sounds like a good option!

It has that "novelty" factor which would give a nice feeling.

It's within your budget and you still have spare money for all the add-ons. The biggest advantage is the no. of options that'll simply "be there" when you want to park!

Since it's going to be used just for the city, smaller the better.

A friend has a Nano and at signals, people knock on the window and ask "boss, kitna deta hai?"!.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 16:47   #9
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Jay

The nano does have a spare wheel (in the front) it is of the smaller front wheel size but it fits both front and rear wheels and the car can be driven till you get the original tyre back on. (It is in that way something like a space saver for the rear wheel)

Would suggest the Nano or the Spark, I love both their shapes and the nano is cannot be beaten for space.

The Nano I belive also comes with an attractive maintenance package like the Spark.

The Nano will probably get a smile to your face more than the other two cars.

only-ve for the nano presently for me is that it does not have an openable rear hatch and that a version of the nano with this taken care of will soon be out. Plus it does not have a LHS mirror even as an option.
Old 10th May 2011, 17:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The nano does have a spare wheel (in the front) it is of the smaller front wheel size but it fits both front and rear wheels and the car can be driven till you get the original tyre back on. (It is in that way something like a space saver for the rear wheel)
+1 to this, I dont know how I missed reading this in the OP. Perhaps I was too keen to reply to your thread quickly!
By the way, I happened to go to Big Bazaar yesterday; apparently you get some gift if you book it there. Just thought you should know
Old 10th May 2011, 18:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE SWIFT REPLIES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
only-ve for the nano presently for me is that it does not have an openable rear hatch and that a version of the nano with this taken care of will soon be out. Plus it does not have a LHS mirror even as an option.
How sure is your information about the rear hatch.
I did hear about the rear hatch too. But I was recently informed that TML conducted an upgrade exercise to improve reliability etc, but the rear hatch did not configure in that upgrade exercise.

Is it possible to fit a LHS mirror on the Nano?

Can existing owners direct me towards any niggles and problems with the vehicle. Ive almost made up my mind on it, but would love to be better informed.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 10th May 2011 at 18:38.
Old 10th May 2011, 19:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ok Friends and Nano lovers like me.
I just found this and its not very inspiring.

Can more existing Nano owners come forward with info about niggles and issues faced??

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-issues-6.html
Old 10th May 2011, 21:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Ok Friends and Nano lovers like me.
I just found this and its not very inspiring.

Can more existing Nano owners come forward with info about niggles and issues faced??

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-issues-6.html
All the information about niggles and issues faced from the nano are covered in the threads "Tata Nano - List of all issues" and "Tata Nano". If you spend some time to carefully go through the posts "in order", you will get a clear picture.

I have purchased my Nano LX in 2010 March and driven the car for 20,000 kms !!! It is a very good option to go for Nano LX.

It is worth considering well-maintained second hand nano cars too..

Last edited by KMohanan : 10th May 2011 at 21:13. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 10th May 2011, 21:20   #14
A M
BHPian

Hi jay,
Though I'm not an owner of Nano, but can verify the fact that the rear hatch door does not open. Had seen it at a TV review of the car and later verified it at the local dealer.

Regarding the LHS mirror, I've seen this on some cars on the road.

BTW, I'm a big fan of your "safari-logues". Been waiting for one for quite a while now.
Old 10th May 2011, 21:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Spark is more roomy inside, than you think it is. It also, is very nice to drive, and good for carrying 4-5 people if you wish.

That said, Nano is not a bad buy, if you are happy with the car overall.

Most Viewed