Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 21:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
.....Should I buy a Nano Lx..? If YES, why?.....
Jay, we are in the same boat. I will be booking the LX (sunshine yellow) next week. The only reason for the delay now is to get my parking space cleared. Here there is no waiting, I am in touch with Prerana Motors here and they claim a 3rd day delivery. Reasons for me are similar to yours. I preferred the LX because I wanted Yellow by any chance, other positives are secondary to me

All said and done, its a gift to my wifee who never wanted to drive a sedan in the city, and giving all the outdoor responsibilities of a family to her hands indirectly
Old 10th May 2011, 23:17   #17
BHPian

Well jay, I got to say buying a Nano for city drives is a wise decision. I own one myself and I love it. I use this car more then my Safari. The best thing about this car is parking and its very handy when it comes to bumper to bumper traffic. I also love the turn radius. You can read my impression of the car in the following thread
The Indian beetle
Old 10th May 2011, 23:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding Nano issues, my friend owns one, and after about two weeks of ownership he has issues with locking mechanism. He could not unlock the car using the key.

Another strange thing about the Nano, is that the Fuel filler cap is inside the bonnet. You have to open the bonnet at bunks. It also houses the spare wheel and washer fluid reservoir.

IIRC, The nano also has a pretty short revv limiter, which should mean you get the punch pretty low. And his car gives him a mileage of 18-19 in city. Its a non-AC variant, maybe that's why.

Last edited by dhanushs : 10th May 2011 at 23:30.
Old 11th May 2011, 08:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'd say go for the Nano, I for one really love the drives in congested city traffic and the ease of parking, if it is purely a city car with not much luggage to carry, then I suggest you go in for the Nano, our Nano, purchased sometime in october 2010, has run only about 1500 kms till date and so far I have had no complaints, FE is around 16-18 kmpl, yes, the lack of LHS door mirror can be a minor irritant once you are used to it on other cars, but I have not found a mirror for the left front door at local accessory shops yet, Tata Motors do not have it.
Old 11th May 2011, 09:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nano > Dislikes; Lack of spare wheel. Lack of music system.
Likes; very spacious and roomy. Comfortable. This might sound funny but I like that it sounds like a 4 wheel scooter.
No spare wheel? Isn't there a spare wheel in the front boot (bonnet) of the nano?
Old 11th May 2011, 09:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
All the information ......
It is worth considering well-maintained second hand nano cars too..
Thanks Mohanan. I always thought that the only reason why someone would want to sell his Nano is that he/she was having trouble with it. I would like to own a new Nano Lx - yellow with full 4 years warranty - thanks to earlier Tata experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Hi jay,
Though I'm not an owner of Nano, but can verify the fact that the rear hatch door does not open. Had seen it at a TV review of the car and later verified it at the local dealer.

Regarding the LHS mirror, I've seen this on some cars on the road.

BTW, I'm a big fan of your "safari-logues". Been waiting for one for quite a while now.
I was referring to the rear hatch opening in a rumored up coming Nano upgrade.
Thanks, 2 big trip logs coming up this year between Aug & December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Spark is more roomy inside, than you think it is. It also, is very nice to drive, and good for carrying 4-5 people if you wish.

That said, Nano is not a bad buy, if you are happy with the car overall.
The Spark sure is a nice drive & I did think about it, but it looks too dated in comparison to the Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Jay, we are in the same boat. I will be booking the LX (sunshine yellow) next week. The only reason for the delay now is to get my parking space cleared. Here there is no waiting, .....
This is another plus point, no waiting period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Regarding Nano issues, my friend owns one, and after about two weeks of ownership he has issues with locking mechanism. He could not unlock the car using the key.

Another strange thing about the Nano, is that the Fuel filler cap is inside the bonnet. You have to open the bonnet at bunks. It also houses the spare wheel and washer fluid reservoir.

IIRC, The nano also has a pretty short revv limiter, which should mean you get the punch pretty low. And his car gives him a mileage of 18-19 in city. Its a non-AC variant, maybe that's why.
Thanks for the info. I had overlooked the fuel filler cap inside the bonnet. Guess thats something to live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I'd say go for the Nano, I for one really love the drives in congested city traffic and the ease of parking, if it is purely a city car with not much luggage to carry, then I suggest you go in for the Nano, our Nano, purchased sometime in october 2010, has run only about 1500 kms till date and so far I have had no complaints, FE is around 16-18 kmpl, yes, the lack of LHS door mirror can be a minor irritant once you are used to it on other cars, but I have not found a mirror for the left front door at local accessory shops yet, Tata Motors do not have it.
Ease of driving and parking is the biggest boon and one of the reasons for driving my purchase. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
No spare wheel? Isn't there a spare wheel in the front boot (bonnet) of the nano?
There is one, I had overlooked that earlier.

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th May 2011 at 12:45. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post
Old 11th May 2011, 10:54   #22

I sold my Nano CX after 4 months of ownership (@2700 km). I had the following issues:

A/C failed twice and the entire assembly was changed the second time.
Starter motor failed and was replaced.
Brakes failed once at very low speed (was told could be due to faulty coil) but was not addressed.

Rusting of door edges which was never dealt with properly. They used a painting brush to touch up the paint

Why I sold it:

TATA after sales service. Period. Each time, they kept the car for a mininum of 3 to 4 days. Generally, I found the the knowledge levels of the service intake personnel to be very low (maybe because the nano is a new car). The attitude was even worse. People in chennai talk about concorde motors in terms of a Govt. office. Maybe, it is better in other places.

When the starter motor failed, it was a sunday afternoon and I was stranded at a gas station just 4 kms from Concorde motors, ECR. I called them only to be given a number which did not work and then was asked to call the call center in pune. They took 4 hours and help still did not arrive. I finally had to call the GM of concorde motors who intervened and sent someone from Concorde motors, ECR at 7 pm. And guess what, the guy just asked me push the car and somehow started it . I swear he did not jump start it because the car did not jerk. Someone please enlighten me if I am wrong here.

My usage was mostly on highways on long drives and with 4 adults and a child. Somehow, with the a/c on, the ride becomes tiring after about 100 kms. Braking becomes so so above 60 kms with a/c on and full passenger load. Also, the rear passengers find the engine thrum very irritating on long drives. It was indeed a poor choice on my part for my kind of use. I should have done some more research.

I also heard that this car cannot be raised on a ramp for servicing and the mechanics have to fold the back seat each time to access the engine. Someone please clarify this if this is true. I personally talked to a few mechanics and they advised me to sell it asap which is what I did. I have heard of many others who are happy and I myself was happy with the way it drove inside the city.

Should you buy it:

I would say it is a good choice inside our cities provided you can live with TATA's after sales service and generally poor quality of the parts used in their cars. Given a choice, I would any day buy an alto over nano because the overall reliability and drivability of alto is way superior. Just drive the two cars one after the other and you will know what I mean. Its engine is proven and all round visibility is excellent. Also, the nano has very short overhang with a very thick A-pillar. I am 5'6" and found myself blinded when turning right on several occasions. With A/C on and in bumper to bumper, you will get less than 15 kms because you can engage the top gear only at speeds above 45. If you are the type who changes cars frequently (like I did)`, then you can go for it

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2011 at 19:06. Reason: No more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 11th May 2011, 10:59   #23
BHPian

Hi

I own a Yellow nano for past 6 months. I would say think a lot before u buy. I am least happy about it, service sucks, last time they had asked us to bring it for upgradation(for firing prevention). There are wires hanging in the car I am afraid my son may pull one of them. I stay in Basweshwernagar, you may come and see my nano which is driven 850 kms in 7 months and decide urself, they have given a simple scloth cover in front to cover all the wires, its so scary.

I have faced one or the other issues all the time. and their service is least said the better.

Last time we gave bad ratings so for this second service they are not even calling us or reminding us. If we call they have no free slots, they say call after 15 days.
and all ther service stations are out of city, and they all suck big time, fit for taxis, they expect and treat all customers as taxi drivers.

Anybody can come and see my car and then decide to buy or not.

Regards,
Old 11th May 2011, 12:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My question here is;
Should I buy a Nano Lx..?
If YES, why??
=> Yes, cause its perfect fit your requirements, is cheaper then the other 2 you mentioned and only if you are 'OK' with Tata's A.S.S. in your area.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 13:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriviswa View Post
....A/C failed twice and the entire assembly was changed the second time. Starter motor failed and was replaced.
Brakes failed once at very low speed (was told could be due to faulty coil) but was not addressed. Rusting of door edges which was never dealt with properly. They used a painting brush to touch up the paint
I take it as a sincere opinion from a true user. Looks like I have to do more cross checks before I book my Nano. There are 3 within my compound and none of them have any issues so far !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post
.....I would say think a lot before u buy. I am least happy about it, service sucks
I would prefer to take a look, let me see if I can get in touch with you when I come back from my travel by 17th. Tata service is anyway bad for even their higher segment vehicles, so I dont expect anything different for the 'low-class' customers But one thing I strongly feel is, present batch of Nano might have already transitioned from the initial hiccups and silly issues.
Old 11th May 2011, 14:11   #26
BHPian

With a budget of 3L, I would recommend the Alto and then the Spark. I would not even remotely recommend the Nano (no offense to anyone). Knowing Tata's poor A-S-S and niggling issues with the Nano, I really wonder why one should consider it unless cabin space is the only criteria. The engine is noisy and reliability has always been an issue even with Tata's higher end cars.

The Alto on the other hand ticks all the right boxes and is a Maruti to add to it. Peppy engine, decent quality interiors, good FE and most importantly, it'll be reliable. I can never associate reliability with any Tata vehicles - again no offense to any Tata owners. Its just my personal opinion.
Old 11th May 2011, 15:56   #27
kkg
BHPian

I own both a Spark and a Nano. For your requirements, I have no second thoughts suggesting a Nano. Mine is already past 8700 kms and has served me very well. Apart from central locking not functioning ( gun on the driver's door being faulty and not in stock), nothing else has gone wrong in last year and a half.

I bought it for my wife and she is very happy with it too. Apart from a bit hard clutch and not so sure breaks, nothing to complain about from a car this segment.

And yes, Spark is a great car to have, better than even a santro and wagonR, it should be compared in that segment. If you have a budget for this, simply go for it.
Old 11th May 2011, 19:08   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As much as I like the Nano, I do think the Spark is a better car. If your budget can accommodate the Chevy, go for it. The Spark is way more refined, has a better ride & handling balance, overall quality is superior and offers decent performance / fuel efficiency too. And I do think the Spark will be the niggle-free of the two.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 22:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

I as an existing Nano owner for the last 1 month and 700 kms, I think I'm qualified enough to make the below comments.
Quote:
Ok Friends and Nano lovers like me.
I just found this and its not very inspiring.

Can more existing Nano owners come forward with info about niggles and issues faced??

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-issues-6.html
I think every car has niggles here and there. may be not Honda and Toyota's but am sure the rest do. Don't worry too much. If you like it go ahead and buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post

Regarding the LHS mirror, I've seen this on some cars on the road.
Could you please elaborate on this one. I have been looking without any success for the LHS mirror

Quote:
How is it a strange thing ? Its just how the car is design and in lot of way, its different from the standard cars that you get.
Quote:
Our Nano gave 14.61KMPL in the first tank full with 100% AC and city traffic.

Given the choices my vote will go to Nano just because of various reasons. I feel it is one car that is the most suitable for our cities considering the parking and traffic situation.
You can check out my ownership review here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tata-nano.html

Cheers
Old 11th May 2011, 23:41   #30
A M
BHPian

Hi MileCruncher,

I've seen some Nano's on the road with LHS ORVM. So it must be available after-market. The dealers don't offer it as an accessory. I will ask some accessory dealers in town if it is available.

Also found this

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
One of the Nano in Bokaro Steel City has Left ORVM, will try to get a pic of it. I think LORVM is available in after market
from this thread.

Most Viewed