Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 19:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Nano

hi foby.sebastian..i have completed around 2000 kms in my Nano and haven't faced any such problem that u'v mentioned. And owing to increasing petrol prices i think diesel version nano will be great.
Old 24th May 2011, 20:06   #62
Senior - BHPian

Jay, not yet decided so far ? Remember, I was waiting for your lead
I have spoken to many owners and heard all what they had to say about their Nano. Finally I am not that keen on going for it. Alto K10 looks very attractive to me right now, specially considering its mileage in the ever-increasing petrol price scenario. Waiting for my test drive tomorrow and I will make up my mind by this weekend. Will update here.
Old 24th May 2011, 20:40   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Jay, not yet decided so far ? Remember, I was waiting for your lead
I have spoken to many owners and heard all what they had to say about their Nano. Finally I am not that keen on going for it. Alto K10 looks very attractive to me right now, specially considering its mileage in the ever-increasing petrol price scenario. Waiting for my test drive tomorrow and I will make up my mind by this weekend. Will update here.
Do not forget to compare the legspace available for the passengers in Nano and Alto K10.
Old 24th May 2011, 20:56   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
Do not forget to compare the legspace available for the passengers in Nano and Alto K10.
Boot space is more important to me than the leg space There is a reason to think in that line. I just sold my Fiesta and I dont think I can ever take a Nano to the airport whenever someone comes home from somewhere because it can not even fit one decent sized baggage. And you know how we Indians travel !! My mum still brings 2 huge jack fruits whenever she returns from Kerala visit, in spite of banning her from bringing anything when she travels alone.

A 15 ltr fuel tank, reported 'attitude' filled TASS, ever increasing negatives by users...I can go on with reasons why I hesitate to go ahead with the Nano plan. I really wished to own the sunshine yellow by all means. But things are not looking as good as the time I started wishing. Peace of mind is the utmost priority as my wife will be driving almost 90% of the time, mostly with kids inside.
Old 24th May 2011, 22:10   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Boot space is more important to me than the leg space There is a reason to think in that line. I just sold my Fiesta and I dont think I can ever take a Nano to the airport whenever someone comes home from somewhere because it can not even fit one decent sized baggage. And you know how we Indians travel !! My mum still brings 2 huge jack fruits whenever she returns from Kerala visit, in spite of banning her from bringing anything when she travels alone.

A 15 ltr fuel tank, reported 'attitude' filled TASS, ever increasing negatives by users...I can go on with reasons why I hesitate to go ahead with the Nano plan. I really wished to own the sunshine yellow by all means. But things are not looking as good as the time I started wishing. Peace of mind is the utmost priority as my wife will be driving almost 90% of the time, mostly with kids inside.
I have already covered more than 20,000 kms in my Nano LX in about an year !!! Very good car. I agree, keeping luggage in dickey is difficult. But, dickey space available is comparable to that of alto. What I meant is the overall space available inside nano. After using the nano, I feel very cramped in alto. When I sit in the front co-driver seat, my knees touch the dash board. Space is a premium.
Regarding service, YES. Maruti is far ahead of Tata.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
I have already covered more than 20,000 kms in my Nano LX in about an year !!! Very good car. I agree, keeping luggage in dickey is difficult. But, dickey space available is comparable to that of alto.......Regarding service, YES. Maruti is far ahead of Tata.
Today is the third day I have been waiting for the test drive of Alto K10, guys keep changing the time at their will and same thing had happened 2 years back when I was checking new cars within the 6 to 8 lakh category. They never gave me a TD of Ritz and SX4, may be it was destiny , although I waited whole 15 days to get their "on the way sir" reply whenever I called up.

Its anyway a clear decision between Nano and Alto K10 right now and I am so far leaning towards K10 considering its positives (TD still waiting), although price and service can never be compared at any point.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have had the first servicing done for my Nano and was pleasantly surprised with the attitude at TASS. IMHO it was almost as good as Honda (though they did not ask if I wanted tea/ coffee; not something I expect anyway) and definitely better than Hyundai (where problems remain unexplained).

The SA patiently discussed the problems that I mentioned and did not seem in any hurry to close the discussion. I got regular updates by text messages and also direct phone calls from him (as I had requested). The couple of issues I mentioned were fixed (more here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nter-um-3.html) and the Nano is back to chugging on road. It is used primarily by my wife and kid too; so if the usage is similar I would definitely recommend it.

I dont have to go to the airport too often, so it depends on how many times that happens. I do have another car though, so you may want to consider it based on your requirements and if you have/ plan to buy another car.

Last edited by selfdrive : 25th May 2011 at 11:29.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:55   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
.....Nano is back to chugging on road. It is used primarily by my wife and kid too; so if the usage is similar I would definitely recommend it.....I dont have to go to the airport too often, so it depends on how many times that happens. I do have another car though, so you may want to consider it based on your requirements and if you have/ plan to buy another car.
Thanks for the comment, and I just finished my K10 TD 40 mts back. Finally they made it !! KMohanan already warned me about the space inside and its 100% true, no arguments on that. My knee was touching all around the place and Alto is really cramped. Airport runs meant all kinds of pick up and drop from train, bus, air etc. As long as merucab and such services are active, I dont find an issue on that. Another car is totally a dead investment for me, because we just sold the Fiesta due to very low usage.

Although its intended for wife and kids for the major part, I cant avoid being with them whenever situation asks for it, so I am put to more confusion than before !! As long as all our usage is within the city, Nano sounds meaningful now.

Nano top-end is 2.40 on road and K10 vxi will be 3.80, difference is 1.40 lakh. Thats 5 years average petrol cost to the Nano even with another half a dozen fuel price increases in this time period !! I dont know how I am going to take a decision right now. Its only a sunshine yellow Nano and a sunlight copper K10 I can visualize ahead ! Should I pocket that 1.40 saving or should I go with the best service brand ? Again the question back of my mind is, how often we service our cars anyway ? If its a trouble free car, I should not be thinking about the bad service. Hope to make up my mind by this weekend.
Old 25th May 2011, 13:02   #69
BHPian

hi shajufx,

I am under the same dilemma too . Will buy my first car in about 2 months and am caught between nano, spark and Alto k10 (although its 60% nano in my mind right now). God please help me decide fast. Wifey and kiddo are to come to bangy in a month's time....I need to decide fast!!!

Andy
Old 25th May 2011, 13:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although its intended for wife and kids for the major part, I cant avoid being with them whenever situation asks for it, so I am put to more confusion than before !! As long as all our usage is within the city, Nano sounds meaningful now.

Nano top-end is 2.40 on road and K10 vxi will be 3.80, difference is 1.40 lakh. Thats 5 years average petrol cost to the Nano even with another half a dozen fuel price increases in this time period !! I dont know how I am going to take a decision right now. Its only a sunshine yellow Nano and a sunlight copper K10 I can visualize ahead ! Should I pocket that 1.40 saving or should I go with the best service brand ? Again the question back of my mind is, how often we service our cars anyway ? If its a trouble free car, I should not be thinking about the bad service. Hope to make up my mind by this weekend.
If I can add this, it is much easier to park a Nano in tight spaces than any other car (my wife and I have driven the Zen & WagonR extensively too). So in terms of city usage I would vote for the Nano. It now depends on how many highway trips and what distance you expect to cover. The Nano is not so great for distances more than 100kms as the ride is not so comfortable for long.

At the end of the day, just think of which car you/ your family would be happier to travel in. Will you be happy in a Nano when an Alto passes by or in an Alto when a Nano passes by?!

Feel free to PM me if you need any info, I wish you well with your decision
Old 25th May 2011, 13:19   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
hi shajufx,

I am under the same dilemma too . Will buy my first car in about 2 months and am caught between nano, spark and Alto k10 (although its 60% nano in my mind right now). God please help me decide fast. Wifey and kiddo are to come to bangy in a month's time....I need to decide fast!!!

Andy
If you can afford and your finances are going to improve over time, the nano and the K10 cannot come close to the spark in terms of a proper Car feel.

A test drive will enforce the view for sure.

As much as I like the Nano, I would still root for the Spark for a first time buyer who has got the moolah to afford and maintain one.
muni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 13:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
If I can add this, it is much easier to park a Nano in tight spaces than any other car.......how many highway trips and what distance you expect to cover........Will you be happy in a Nano when an Alto passes by or in an Alto when a Nano passes by?.....
Such inputs are always helpful to decide, thanks for doing that. Parking part, yes its going to be a big help for wifee. Highway long drive is a total NO NO to me on a Nano because we have relatives' or friends' vehicles which I can take. Being happy in a Nano when something else passes by, yes that does not even come to my mind. My transition is like this in 7 years: Toyota Corolla = M800 = WagonR = Fiesta = Nano/K10 ? Somehow nothing stays with me more than 2 years !!

The day I feel happy or proud to be inside a particular vehicle will be when I get my Hummer, I dont think anything else can give me that kind of wicked smile as I experienced it in Dubai. Many of my colleagues own them and drive them in mid east and its affordable there.

Last edited by shajufx : 25th May 2011 at 13:52.
Old 25th May 2011, 13:52   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I pocket that 1.40 saving or should I go with the best service brand ? Again the question back of my mind is, how often we service our cars anyway ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
hi shajufx,

Andy

Simple take guys.
Just think how many times you are going to do long distances out of the city.
If its just 10-25% use and rest all is inside the city use, then its most sensible to buy a Nano and use the savings for the petrol.

My purpose of using the Nano is 90%city, and just for kicks i might be tempted to do a drive to Puna or elsewhere. SO I can live with the pain of everyone else going faster than me on the expressway for a change(once in a while)

I got a Sunshine yellow Nano. NaNo ROcKs.
Im happy with the money ive saved over the Alto and Spark, though the Spark was quite tempting.

Thanks everyone for their inputs.

Cheers,

Jay
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 13:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Wow, congratulations Jay, you kept your word "A promise is a promise" that you would lead my way !!! Now its my turn to decide.
Old 25th May 2011, 14:13   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simple take guys.
Just think how many times you are going to do long distances out of the city.
If its just 10-25% use and rest all is inside the city use, then its most sensible to buy a Nano and use the savings for the petrol.
+1 to that.
Guys just go and get a Nano.Its not that bad as its made out to be .
Quote:
Congrats!

I guess smoking leaves helped. BTW are you planning any mods like a turbo or a FFE with a rear spoiler. I'm sure with all these the BHP/Ton will cross lot of mid sized car's and you'll go faster than most cars on the expressway

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks