Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 14:23   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
My brother is planning for a second small hatch and the options are the new Nano or an pre owned Alto Lxi which will be used by his wife who is a first time driver for short runabouts in the city.

The budget is not more than 2 lakhs which would get him an Nano Cx or a 3 plus year old Alto Lxi X. So the question again is why Nano?

Would need some suggestions that would help him make this decision.
Having both Alto LXi and Nano LX in the family driven by Mother in Law and Wifey rspectively, I would say go for the Nano. I too love driving the Nano around in the city. AC is a chiller, loads of space, ingress/egress not an issue and high seating position. Altogether a very good package at that price point. Plus the 2012 Nano has better interiors than the 2011.

@Foby: Looks like yours is out of the ordinary case. I suggest you get the ECM checked with the scanner. I have no such issues on idling, not even with the AC on. Yes plastic quality could have been better off, which it is in the Nano 2012. And all the tyres are same size as well. And it has left side mirror as well.

One thing that you need to be careful though is that Concorde motors is one of the worst TATA Motor dealers. Stay away from them.

All the best for your purchase.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 14:03   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Girishglg any updates on your car hunt yet?
Old 27th June 2012, 14:08   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
And all the tyres are same size as well. And it has left side mirror as well.

Concorde motors is one of the worst TATA Motor dealers.
All tyres of the same size? as far as i know the tyre size in 2012 Nano is still different with the spare tyre being 135 R 12.

I had a very good experience with Concorde Mumbai.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:19   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having both Alto LXi and Nano LX in the family driven by Mother in Law and Wifey rspectively, I would say go for the Nano. I too love driving the Nano around in the city. AC is a chiller, loads of space, ingress/egress not an issue and high seating position. Altogether a very good package at that price point. Plus the 2012 Nano has better interiors than the 2011.
Thats a great perspective of exactly the same two cars that my brother is looking for. Did show him your response. Also a few questions-

On both of your cars - Alto and Nano

1. Kitna deti hai - In city?
2. Servicing cost and experience
3. Ease of use in city (PS vs non PS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey Girishglg any updates on your car hunt yet?
We are still evaluating options. Last week had come across a relative new Alto Lxi of 2010 Nov make run just 11k kms quoted at 2.7 with all the bells and whistles (read ICE, security etc) in True value. Did not check the best prices, however this exceeds a brand new Nano itself.

Also my SIL will be the primary user who also has a say in the sign off depending on her perception of ease of use as well.
Old 27th June 2012, 16:31   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Thats a great perspective of exactly the same two cars that my brother is looking for. Did show him your response. Also a few questions-
My answers
1. Kitna deti hai - In city? - Nano: 16KMPL with 100%AC / Alto 14KMPL with on and off AC.
2. Servicing cost and experience: Nano - Zero service cost including consumables for 4 years with the Rs.2800 package. However Concorde Motor Hyderabad experience is bad. Alto: Once a year service costing about 3K. MASS is not as bad as Concorde not much better as well.
3. Ease of use in city (PS vs non PS): Nano: Steering very light; Alto: No easy and I don't like it.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 16:56   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And all the tyres are same size as well. And it has left side mirror as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
All tyres of the same size? as far as i know the tyre size in 2012 Nano is still different with the spare tyre being 135 R 12.
yeah, no! the tyres are still differently sized. at least thats what I saw in the 2012 Nano brochure. by the way, quote for top end LX model is now 2.39L. FYI, in case anyone is expecting a 2L price.

For me the beige interiors are a bit of a letdown but overall quality seems definitely better than the earlier version.
Dont expect much on resale value if its a short term purchase. I think there is some exchange bonus offered if you have some old bike, but do verify valuator costs, they quote some absurdly low prices. And maybe sell it to their friends,

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th June 2012 at 16:57.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:05   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
y
Dont expect much on resale value if its a short term purchase. I think there is some exchange bonus offered if you have some old bike, but do verify valuator costs, they quote some absurdly low prices. And maybe sell it to their friends,
Just read here Dealers offer plum discounts on petrol cars that Nano is available with upto 40K discount. You might want to check it out and buy a petrol car while the scheme lasts

Cheers
Old 27th June 2012, 17:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Any of you guys changed your starter motor as part of Tata's batch replacement (informed through a letter that must have reached customers few months back) ? I had received it but kept it for the 1 year service and now the dealer is telling free replacement parts have exhausted. Need to cross check with other dealers now. So far, I dont have an ignition issue anyway.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:22   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Any of you guys changed your starter motor as part of Tata's batch replacement (informed through a letter that must have reached customers few months back) ? I had received it but kept it for the 1 year service and now the dealer is telling free replacement parts have exhausted. Need to cross check with other dealers now. So far, I dont have an ignition issue anyway.
Yes I got it done when the letter came. If you don't have any problem, leave it. Anyways the vehicle has 4 year warranty, so if it conks later, you can always get it changed under warranty.

Don't sweat!

Cheers
Old 27th June 2012, 17:29   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I got it done when the letter came. If you don't have any problem, leave it. Anyways the vehicle has 4 year warranty, so if it conks later, you can always get it changed under warranty.
Don't sweat!
Thanks buddy, that was super quick reply. I waited few months after the letter because I was not worried

So finally my yellow bug has done its first service at ODO 3350 for Rs.225. They took the 10000 km coupon from my Nano AMC booklet, otherwise I would have paid Rs.2400 for the service according to the service manager !!
Old 27th June 2012, 17:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So finally my yellow bug has done its first service at ODO 3350 for Rs.225. They took the 10000 km coupon from my Nano AMC booklet, otherwise I would have paid Rs.2400 for the service according to the service manager !!
Why did you even pay the Rs.225/-? I paid only Rs.12 as I had told them that I'll not pay a single penny since I was covered by the AMC plan
Old 27th June 2012, 17:52   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why did you even pay the Rs.225/-? I paid only Rs.12 as I had told them that I'll not pay a single penny since I was covered by the AMC plan
Are you pulling my leg here ? And what was that Rs.12 for ? You can not get even a candy bar chocolate for that money
Old 27th June 2012, 17:58   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy, that was super quick reply. I waited few months after the letter because I was not worried

why did your nano have a service at this time? did she not have a service at 1k kms?
during my nano's 1k kms service I was told to bring her back only when she finishes 10K kms.

Quote:
Are you pulling my leg here ? And what was that Rs.12 for ? You can not get even a candy bar chocolate for that money
oh yes, at Tata you get something like that window closing handle for 17 bucks. So the 12 buck thing must be a rubber part. Unlike Skoda, I think the sum of all parts would not be twice the price of a new vehicle!

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th June 2012 at 17:59.
Old 27th June 2012, 18:05   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
why did your nano have a service at this time? did she not have a service at 1k kms?......Unlike Skoda, I think the sum of all parts would not be twice the price of a new vehicle!
There is a big confusion on the service intervals and the coupons printed with both dealers I am interacting with. I was informed about the 1 month, 6 month & 1 year service as the basic. Coupons were printed and stapled on the manual too. I am not counting the ODO here because none of my vehicle ownership history has ever reached the ODO figures for the services in the past years. So, its always taken for service on the date/month limit (xxxx ODO or 6 months whichever comes first policy).

So, it was taken for 1 year service last week. Hope I am not missing anything !!
Old 27th June 2012, 18:55   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, it was taken for 1 year service last week. Hope I am not missing anything !!
oh well. No you didnt. I missed that the Nano has completed a year in my garage. I should schedule an appointment for the 1 year service too.

I hope I can get the beadings from the 2012 version, somehow I am very impressed by them.

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th June 2012 at 19:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks